Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recaffeinated
Jul 11, 2007
Fuck decaf.
Steampunk Rally. Possibly the most dice in a game? You can build engines that use dice to generate more dice up to like 30 in a turn. And somehow it's pretty great and not all that luck-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

homullus posted:

You shouldn't have let on that you misunderstood, because then this isn't a very funny answer anymore :(

Sarcasm Assumed.

I just ordered RFTG, seem pretty obviously great.
Steampunk rally looks like madness.

homullus posted:

Clearly I need to make a game called Sever.

There's a guy working on a game in the design thread where you cut off parts of monsters I think (it's monster hunter based) - maybe talk him into a name change.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also if you like rolling dice and don't mind it resulting in the extinction of the human race (and also don't mind that you are auctioning off women (and also don't mind that your species has fluid sexuality)) there's Neanderthal.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Machi Koro is kinda interesting as like a palate cleanser between "real games". Obviously you can't make any real strategic decisions because everything hinges on your die roll, but you can still make a pretty devastating little engine by stacking up multiple effects in that 5-7 range, especially the red cards that let you steal money from people on their die roll.

In that capacity, it's a pretty easy game to "solve", but it can be kinda fun as a quick brain reset.

Uh, that said, I think Codenames: Pictures is probably a much better choice for that category of "play this to wind down from a more complicated game".

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

homullus posted:

Also if you like rolling dice and don't mind it resulting in the extinction of the human race (and also don't mind that you are auctioning off women (and also don't mind that your species has fluid sexuality)) there's Neanderthal.

I actually own this and wasn't able to put in the time to attend the appropriate community college courses to gain the basic fundamentals to play gently caress this games rulebook.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think I dislike Machi Koro even more than I dislike Catan.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My wife just loves rolling dice. Dice dice dice. Her favorite games are Elder Sign, any rpgs where she gets to roll lots of dice and Arkham Horror (sometimes, if you play your cards right, you can roll like 12 dice at once! WOW!). What games have lots of dice rolling that will hurt her poor, supportive husband the least.

Seconding Steampunk Rally, you roll like a million dice through the course of a game, and the game is well enough designed that you want both high and low rolls to power your machine.

It's quite different from what you mentioned, but you might consider looking into Marco Polo as well.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I can only afford one mining themed game in my library, so in my wisdom I arbitrarily beseech the goon hivemind to choose for me: Haspelknecht or Forged in Steel.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

S.J. posted:

I think I dislike Machi Koro even more than I dislike Catan.
Speaking of, Catan has dice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Quixotic1 posted:

I can only afford one mining themed game in my library, so in my wisdom I arbitrarily beseech the goon hivemind to choose for me: Haspelknecht or Forged in Steel.

Copper Country.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Copper Country.

Ooh forgot about that one

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads
Depending on how old your kid is, King of Tokyo is a possibility for the 3 of you. I have to read the cards for my 5.75 year old son, but otherwise he was able to pick up the rules pretty quick.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
King of Tokyo is a fun dice based game. Probably because they tone down the swingyness in probability by reducing die faces, and allowing three re-rolls. So, essentially Yahtzee, but with minor character building and a push your luck mechanic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Harvey Mantaco posted:

My wife just loves rolling dice. Dice dice dice. Her favorite games are Elder Sign, any rpgs where she gets to roll lots of dice and Arkham Horror (sometimes, if you play your cards right, you can roll like 12 dice at once! WOW!). What games have lots of dice rolling that will hurt her poor, supportive husband the least.

Cthulhu Wars. :getin:

(I'm only joking about that, it doesn't play two player, but on Sunday I got to roll 19 dice in combat and man it felt good.)

More serious suggestion: Alien Frontiers.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Las Vegas and Wurfel Bohnanza are simple games where you roll a bunch of dice and aren't offensive as fillers.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Age of Thieves and Crisis and The Colonists look pretty interesting. Mostly The Colonists but I can't help but be interested in the other two right off the bat.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Countblanc posted:

Copper Country.

quoting for yooper truth

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

deadly_pudding posted:

Machi Koro is kinda interesting as like a palate cleanser between "real games". Obviously you can't make any real strategic decisions because everything hinges on your die roll, but you can still make a pretty devastating little engine by stacking up multiple effects in that 5-7 range, especially the red cards that let you steal money from people on their die roll.

In that capacity, it's a pretty easy game to "solve", but it can be kinda fun as a quick brain reset.

Yeah we hit the dominant strategy in literally the first game we played. Buy every convenience store, then buy either the landmark that lets you reroll a die or the shopping mall that gives you a bonus

We tried a second one to see if it was a fluke, but no, it's repeatable in every game. The designer's response to the criticism in a BGG thread was "Don't let you opponent do that, buy those cards first!" :downs:

X-Wing Miniatures has a lot of dice. And it's a great game too.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Deathlove posted:

quoting for yooper truth

There was some goon named literally Yooper in the wargames thread. Where is he now? I feel like that's every Yooper on the forums hanging out in board game threads.

We don't have much to do over winter :(

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Mister Sinewave posted:

Age of Thieves and Crisis and The Colonists look pretty interesting. Mostly The Colonists but I can't help but be interested in the other two right off the bat.

I'm severely turned off by the fact that Age of Thieves has a board that depicts the city in broad daylight, while the theme is thieves sneaking around at night and stealing precious treasure. Most if not all of the box art and card art depicts scenes at night, it's just the game board that breaks this rule. Very lazy art direction.

By the way, the main inspiration for the game are the Gentlemen Bastard novels, which are very good if you like that kind of stuff. Highly recommended.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

My friend tried to play Machi Koro with her parents, they complained it was too hard and they didn't understand the concept. :stare:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

PerniciousKnid posted:

My friend tried to play Machi Koro with her parents, they complained it was too hard and they didn't understand the concept. :stare:

On New Year's Eve I tried to play sushi go with some of my extended family and they were completely unable to grasp it.

Some people just aren't cut out for games I guess.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

S.J. posted:

I'd recommend this also. Roll for the Galaxy too, but I have no clue if it's any good two player.

Roll is good with 2, it's one of my wife's favorite games for us to play.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

theroachman posted:

I'm severely turned off by the fact that Age of Thieves has a board that depicts the city in broad daylight, while the theme is thieves sneaking around at night and stealing precious treasure.

Hah, I hadn't caught onto that. That is unfortunate.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

theroachman posted:

By the way, the main inspiration for the game are the Gentlemen Bastard novels, which are very good if you like that kind of stuff. Highly recommended.

Please tell me the game sucks and not to pre-order it other wise my poor wallet will hate you.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

jivjov posted:

2nd edition Dominion stuff is starting to show up at retail, my FLGS had both the new full size boxes and the upgrade packs out yesterday. The upgrades are so tiny! They really took they whole "keep the cost as low as possible" seriously

Boy, you weren't kidding!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLb8lNuDBIv/

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I consider that A Good Thing. The boxes are useless once you extract their contents.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

I consider that A Good Thing. The boxes are useless once you extract their contents.

Agreed. I keep all my cards in a huge binder. By the way, the card quality feels the same as the previous Rio Grande versions, but the artwork is top tier Dominion.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

theroachman posted:

I'm severely turned off by the fact that Age of Thieves has a board that depicts the city in broad daylight, while the theme is thieves sneaking around at night and stealing precious treasure. Most if not all of the box art and card art depicts scenes at night, it's just the game board that breaks this rule. Very lazy art direction.

On the other hand, having everything muted and dark makes for a really poor play experience when you have to stare at the board to read it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I grabbed Imhotep because I'm a sucker for Egyptian themed anything and was pleasantly surprised that there is an actual game in there. I'm not sure there any actual depp strategy, but it was a nice way to spend 40 minutes.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Shadow225 posted:

Plus there's the much higher weight/size ratio.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Oldstench posted:

I grabbed Imhotep because I'm a sucker for Egyptian themed anything and was pleasantly surprised that there is an actual game in there. I'm not sure there any actual depp strategy, but it was a nice way to spend 40 minutes.

Were you not expecting "an actual game" from it? It was nominated in the same award category as Karuba and Codenames.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Arriving late to the loads of dice discussion. steam punk rally is a genuinely good game, and I'd also put forward for consideration Kings Forge as a good dice heavy game. You're building a dice pool and manipulating it through resource allocation and action selection to try and fill specific weapon and armor orders. For a game with squillions of dice it's actually very strategic and doesn't feel chaotic at all

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rumda posted:

Please tell me the game sucks and not to pre-order it other wise my poor wallet will hate you.

I'll tell you Thursday night.

The Colonists I thought about checking out, but apparently it's multiplayer solitaire.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Dirk the Average posted:

Any thoughts on Star Trek: Ascendancy? A friend of mine is a big fan of both Star Trek and dice, so the game mechanics seem well suited to his interests.

A couple of things I can see right off the bat - the first is mutual trade as a way to screw over a third party for out of game reasons. If people just want to guarantee your loss, they can exchange the 3 production trade agreement ASAP and stomp you into the dirt. The second is the limited number of connections per system. It looks to me like you could basically make a bubble empire where it's impossible to continue to add planets adjacent to your systems, at which point you end up immune to attack and free to build up in a corner.

The last is dice combat, but that's a feature, not a bug, for some people.

After one play I found that thre is no reason to play this game in a world where Eclipse and Starcraft/Forbidden Stars exist. It's only innovative feature was how planets were placed.

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I actually own this and wasn't able to put in the time to attend the appropriate community college courses to gain the basic fundamentals to play gently caress this games rulebook.

We had to start over twice due to loving up the rules, but I played Neanderthal for the first time in a year last weekend and it was actually surprisingly accessible and fast paced once we had some idea of what we were supposed to be doing. At least, compared to Pax.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Roll for the Galaxy is fun with 2 but I really like it with the chaotic tempo of 4 or 5 players. How's the expansion Ambition?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've only played Ambition once with two people, but it's the best kind of expansion. It adds just a bit more complexity to the base game while increasing your options a lot. You start with a black die that has two symbols on each face, including getting money immediately for using it for certain phases (I think it was like 5 months ago). It also adds some more base tiles, and a new die type. You could easily throw it in with base game, and have no trouble teaching it. It's good.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Papes posted:

On New Year's Eve I tried to play sushi go with some of my extended family and they were completely unable to grasp it.

Some people just aren't cut out for games I guess.

At least sushi has drafting and multiple scoring rules. Machi Koro is just rolling dice and reading the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minute
Jul 31, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Yeah we hit the dominant strategy in literally the first game we played. Buy every convenience store, then buy either the landmark that lets you reroll a die or the shopping mall that gives you a bonus

It's hilarious to me that everyone complains that there's one obvious, broken strategy, but they're all complaining about different strategies. I've read the exact same thing about stacking cheese/furniture factories, or mines, or tuna boats.