Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Someone should be buying up all the Note 7s so they can sell them to XXXtreme risk takers like base jumpers and pitbull owners.

"Yeah baby, that's a Note 7. Because I live on the WILD side" *dons sunglasses, hauls rear end to lollapalooza *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Quadrapellegiance posted:

RIP, I was really hoping to keep this Note 7.

I guess I'll go to AT&T later today and replace it with a blackberry priv

FWIW it's worth I've had a Priv since April and it's pretty great. It is likely to get Nougat soon as well, based on the rumour mill on the Blackberry Beta forums.

I don't use the physical keyboard nearly as much as I did at first, but I always use it for text messages or emails - I just don't bother popping it out for a quick search.

The only downside is the camera is not great, and is worse than the one on the 5x. It's good in ideal conditions, but low light ( as in - not in direct sunlight outside ) is pretty poo poo & blurry ( even with OIS ) unless you use the flash. Video recording ( inc slow mo ) is great though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The return packaging for the Note 7 is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySvc17K2jE

I am going to miss this thing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

:lol: so our Rogers corporate rep not only had no idea Samsung was pausing/ceasing/discontinuing/anything the Note 7, they thought the replacements were all good after the first recall round and had no idea why I was reporting this.

This is going to be a long uphill battle......

Rogers delenda est.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So what phone that is out or is coming out that is close in spec to the Note 7? I'll take smaller and similar power if it exists.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Do you like Windows? There's the HP Elite X3. :haw:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Neat, the Nexus 6 is getting 7.1. I honestly did not expect that since it is outside of the 2 years of guaranteed updates

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2016/10/android-71-developer-preview.html

quote:

Initially, we’ll offer the Developer Preview for Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and Pixel C devices, extending to other supported devices by the end of the preview. At the final release of the Android 7.1.x platform, due in early December, we’ll roll out updates to the full lineup of supported devices — Nexus 6, 5X, 6P, 9, Player, Pixel C, and supported Android One devices — as well as Pixel and Pixel XL devices.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 11, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

RIP, I was really hoping to keep this Note 7.

I guess I'll go to AT&T later today and replace it with a blackberry priv

Do it! I love mine.

I had one for about 6 months, then got a car stereo with apple carplay (but no android auto) so I switched to an iPhone 6s for a while but missed android so I picked up a Samsung Galaxy s7 edge last month and was annoyed by the battery life and constantly activating the screen by accidentally touching the edge so I exchanged it for another priv and I'm very happy with it. I'll have it until the next blackberry physical keyboard android phone. I really like blackberry's take on android and a physical keyboard is really nice for me.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Oh god that almost seems kinda cool.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Neat, the Nexus 6 is getting 7.1. I honestly did not expect that since it is outside of the 2 years of guaranteed updates

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2016/10/android-71-developer-preview.html

Note it says final update to 7.1.x, which means that the 7.1.0 on the Pixel devices will probably never been seen anywhere else. Other phones will probably go from 7.0 to 7.1.1 or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Return procedure for the Note 7 involves a fire resistant box and gloves. :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySvc17K2jE

lmao this is improperly marked. Samsung can't do anything right.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Borrowed Ladder posted:

After a research filled weekend and a few hours or so rooting and rom'ing my old Nexus 4, I ended up buying a 6p off Amazon. I just couldn't wait the 6 weeks or so to get a Pixel, this N4 feels like a little baby's phone. Conversely, i am worried about how big the 6P is, it seems much taller than the LG G4 i'm coming from. Hopefully I made the right choice, though i'll get my G4 back in a few weeks once LG repairs it.

I went from a 5 to a 6p and had the same worries. I got over it pretty quickly and my 5 now feels like a tiny phone for babies. Also get a case cause the 6p is slick af.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Wacky Delly posted:

Also get a case cause the 6p is slick af.
Truth.

I'm wondering when screen protectors and cases will be available for the Pixels. I want both for mine asap.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What's up with Google's phones getting smaller? I have the Nexus 6 and I love the size. Getting ready to upgrade to the 6P or Pixel but I don't want to have to downsize the screen.

Edit: referring to screen size, not phone size.

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 11, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What's up with Google's phones getting smaller? I have the Nexus 6 and I love the size. Getting ready to upgrade to the 6P or Pixel but I don't want to have to downsize the screen.

Edit: referring to screen size, not phone size.

Do you want a bigger screen every time you upgrade? :haw:

Honestly, what happened is that Google came to the conclusion that most people have a limit to hand and cargo jort pocket size, and while women can just put it in a purse, most men do not have one.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 11, 2016

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Really hoping the Note line lives on even if the name itself doesn't. It's one of the few Android lines that is actually unique.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mister Macys posted:

Do you want a bigger screen every time you upgrade? :haw:

Pictured: Anonymousnarcotics on his death bed with his 20th phone.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Truth.

I'm wondering when screen protectors and cases will be available for the Pixels. I want both for mine asap.

I ordered a "clear" case when I ordered the phone. The case is much less important to me than a screen protector though, I want one of those bad.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Axon 7 owners/general Android camera question maybe?

Is the "okay" camera/photos on the Axon 7 a symptom of the default camera app, and maybe improved by using a different app? Or is it simply a function of the hardware or underlying firmware?

I'm already seeing some degradation in performance in my 6P after a factory reset this past weekend, and I'm held up on the Axon by that one bullet point.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah you should get a case for 6p it's a slippery little devil AND the back is easy af to scratch. Mine lives in left front pocket with a pack of smokes and somehow still got scratched near the charge port where the case doesn't cover.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's the one thing I really have to praise Motorola about on the MXP, the aesthetics are durable as gently caress.

The thing is in my pocket daily without a case, I fumble with the plug to charge it constantly. The metal surround is still flawless a year later. No worn edges, no scratches around the charging port, nothing.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

So Verizon wants nothing to do with the actual Note 7, they will process a new phone exchange but send you back home with the Note 7, supposedly they will send a box to ship it back

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah you should get a case for 6p it's a slippery little devil AND the back is easy af to scratch. Mine lives in left front pocket with a pack of smokes and somehow still got scratched near the charge port where the case doesn't cover.

Agreed. I hate cases, but the 6P is thin and slick enough that I might prefer it with a case. It's definitely easy to scratch too. My charging port is also scratched and there's a couple nicks on the back from where something got under the case.

Ninja edit: I kinda miss the heft of my Turbo. That plus the curved back and the textured back ("ballistic nylon") made for a phone that felt pretty drat good.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Not a troll. Before I bought this Note 7, I had two windows phones (lumia 920/1520) and a Blackberry Z10.

Sup lumia 920/1520 buddy. :smith:

I miss my 920 dearly. Specifically the size, thickness and weight.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
This has been slightly bugging me for a while, but I never got around to really looking for a solution.  Today I had some free time at work and decided to, but couldn't find a solution, so I'll ask.

Does anyone know if there a way to get the Google Keyboard to always use the same layout?  In some cases, seemingly mostly when the system thinks you need to enter complex passwords, it shows the number row at the top (e.g. when I'm prompted for the password to unlock after a couple days of using the fingerprint sensor), but in most other cases (e.g. Hangouts, Gmail, etc.) it doesn't, putting it as alternatives to the top row.  I don't really have a strong preference in which one is better, but I'd really like for it to be consistent and just use the same one in all cases.  I went through all the settings for Google Keyboard but didn't see anything.

For visual reference, here's what it looks like when entering password from lock screen:

And what it looks like in most apps:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

So Verizon wants nothing to do with the actual Note 7, they will process a new phone exchange but send you back home with the Note 7, supposedly they will send a box to ship it back

Weird. They probably don't want their stores full of defective phones that can catch on fire but now that Samsung has basically decided that the phones are physically dangerous it seems like they have a duty to ensure they are removed from circulation and disposed of, trusting consumers to do it after their problem is solved doesn't seem like the best idea.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GokieKS posted:

This has been slightly bugging me for a while, but I never got around to really looking for a solution.  Today I had some free time at work and decided to, but couldn't find a solution, so I'll ask.

Does anyone know if there a way to get the Google Keyboard to always use the same layout?  In some cases, seemingly mostly when the system thinks you need to enter complex passwords, it shows the number row at the top (e.g. when I'm prompted for the password to unlock after a couple days of using the fingerprint sensor), but in most other cases (e.g. Hangouts, Gmail, etc.) it doesn't, putting it as alternatives to the top row.  I don't really have a strong preference in which one is better, but I'd really like for it to be consistent and just use the same one in all cases.  I went through all the settings for Google Keyboard but didn't see anything.

For visual reference, here's what it looks like when entering password from lock screen:

I don't know if you can change it, but the reason it does that is because you're more likely to use numbers while typing in a password and way less likely to need text suggestions. You'll also notice that it doesn't autocorrect passwords and in numerical only fields it doesn't show any letters. The @ key is on the first page when entering email addresses. It's actually very handy!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

When Apple gets rid of their button next year, guess what Samsung will "innovate"? The same thing everyone else did five years ago. They might retain the exploding battery, seeing how it's the only thing they've got that's uniquely theirs.

People who buy Samsungs were always dumb, anyone buying one going forward is absolutely retarded. The thing about retarded though is there isn't a cure, keep shopping those specs!

:goonsay:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You shouldn't be able to use the goonsay emote when all your posts are about anime and guns.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

GokieKS posted:

There's trade offs, but I think Hacker's keyboard does that?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

You shouldn't be able to use the goonsay emote when all your posts are about anime and guns.

And video games and technology! Or did you just browse the most recent posts?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hah, the whole note7 circus is rumored to cost Samsung over 17,000,000,000$

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
Well went to Verizon today. I was actually steered towards the pixel xl and told if I buy through Google I won't have the bloat ware and they'll give me a SIM card for free. Only downside is for what ever insane reason there is no micro as. But I can solve this with setting up smart cloud storage settings.

Is there any reason not to pull the trigger on this asap? My indepth phone knowledge is minimum at best.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Hah, the whole note7 circus is rumored to cost Samsung over 17,000,000,000$

Keep in mind Samsung's annual revenue is over $300b but yeah this is a total loving mess.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moochewmoo posted:

Well went to Verizon today. I was actually steered towards the pixel xl and told if I buy through Google I won't have the bloat ware and they'll give me a SIM card for free. Only downside is for what ever insane reason there is no micro as. But I can solve this with setting up smart cloud storage settings.

Google has this absolute hatred of local expanded storage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's confirmed, Samsung has no idea what's wrong with the phones.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/11/nyt-samsung-engineers-cant-replicate-galaxy-note-7-problems/

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't know if you can change it, but the reason it does that is because you're more likely to use numbers while typing in a password and way less likely to need text suggestions. You'll also notice that it doesn't autocorrect passwords and in numerical only fields it doesn't show any letters. The @ key is on the first page when entering email addresses. It's actually very handy!

Yeah, I understand the reasoning, but that doesn't mean I like it, as it takes a second for me to remember which layout it's in whenever I need to type numbers (which I always have to do for my passwords, and only sometimes in general use).

Scaramouche posted:

There's trade offs, but I think Hacker's keyboard does that?

I don't think that's a realistic option, heh, as Google Keyboard is MUCH better in just about every respect, and this doesn't bug me nearly enough to give that up.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

GokieKS posted:

This is down to apps setting hints to the input method on text fields, saying what kind of content they expect so the keyboard can adapt to a more useful layout if it wants. Google Keyboard does want, and I can't see an option to turn it off or force all input methods to ignore hints

So yeah you'll probably need to find another keyboard if that's what you want

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
RIP Note 7 :sigh:

I think I'll just stick with my note 4 until next year (apologies to the friend I promised could have it!), nothing on the market currently interests me and the edge feels too much like a compromise to be stuck with it for the next couple of years. I can get a refund on the VR stuff I bought so that's at least something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ya'll want to see how hotsauce fixed this Note 7 fiasco?

Like this. Saddle Brown owns bones, no grip tape required.

Sarnsung pissed in my cornflakes too many times. So much that I have bailed on Android for a while. Sweeping and dramatic of me to leave for iOS? As irrational as that may be, it's how I'm rolling. Having iMessage on my phone, iPad and iMac is just too good. RIP Allo/Duo, and of course Hangouts.

(yes, I have two replacement Note 7's...the second just...showed up...no record of it...Samsung.com is an incompetent little corner of the internet)

I guess I'm all growed up. Don't really miss fiddling, chasing down broken things and buying a new phone every few months. Maybe the Pixel will be amazing, but for now we ride with Tim.