Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

It's comforting to know that even Riot realizes how dumb runes are right now.

Count me in the minority of people that likes runes and the opportunity to optimize your builds in various matchups/get weird powerspikes on certain champs. Removing CDR runes would really impact how a lot of champs are built/played, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

blah_blah posted:

Count me in the minority of people that likes runes and the opportunity to optimize your builds in various matchups/get weird powerspikes on certain champs. Removing CDR runes would really impact how a lot of champs are built/played, for example.

I would prefer that all the customization be done via items and masteries. Runes just seem like an extra, redundant system when you already have masteries.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Runes are fine and even a good idea except where they cost too much so actually you have one set that you use on everyone.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

I really wonder if theres someone out there who has catalogued everything that Riot has promised us or has told us is "just around the corner" or is "going to be updated really soon!" and then nothing has happened with it, ever, at all

Some reworks happened. Itemization has changed, multiple times where it concerns the jungle. Spectating has been a thing for ages now but didn't exist on release. Ward skins exist now.

It's not like they've done nothing ever. There's totally cases of champs being "slated for reworks" for years at a time though, and phantom features which are probably never happening.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Work Friend Keven posted:

Runes are fine and even a good idea except where they cost too much so actually you have one set that you use on everyone.

You can get tier2 runes for 1 IP each right now. Using flat AP blues as an example, IIRC it's 0.92 flat AP per tier2 blue versus 1.19 flat AP per tier3 blue, or 77.31% of the utility for effectively free. That's all of 2 AP—functionally about 1 damage on a spell after AP ratios and resistances—difference on a rune page. Maybe you've played enough games to have experienced multiple people get away with literally 1 HP, but if that's the case then you can probably also afford tier3 runes. Otherwise, tier2 runes should be snatched up and put in any slots where you can't afford tier3 and promptly labeled "good enough for now."

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Sexpansion posted:

I would prefer that all the customization be done via items and masteries. Runes just seem like an extra, redundant system when you already have masteries.

Even masteries are pretty boring outside of the keystones and maybe one or two others.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Or, you know, since League takes place in Runeterra or something, combine runes and masteries into one system that meaningfully affects the game and is actually scannable to other players.

call it the runeterra system

or runeteries

or runes

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 11, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what happened to that thing where special graphics happen when you kill an enemy? was it only used for urf?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Tired Moritz posted:

what happened to that thing where special graphics happen when you kill an enemy? was it only used for urf?

Yeh, still works if you have the icon for it.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys think ASol will get nerfed in the near future?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Tired Moritz posted:

It still works every URF, if you have the icon!
But only then.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Coca Koala posted:

What's your IGN? I'm generally down to duo in the botlane and am a nice and friendly person on discord, I'll hit you up after work and the gym tonight.

*points to user title*
ffoxface

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luna Was Here posted:

and we did get those, once

Out of curiosity, when? Do you mean the S2 (or S1? Can't recall it) icons that you gained while you purchased RP during the event?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
consistently amazed that people spend so much money on this game, though im glad they do because it makes buying holiday gifts for certain friends super easy

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

blah_blah posted:

I just picked up MF again so I'm not speaking from a huge amount of experience, but I feel like Deathfire basically has to be a better keystone given how much bonus flat AD she gets. I'm consistently doing 10-15% of my total damage as magic on her and I'm pretty sure that more of it comes from Deathfire than E. Agreed that E-max is a style for wimps and uncool people, but now it's also clearly worse as well.

Any insight on builds? I've been building all the flat arpen items (Ghostblade/Duskblade/Maw) + Black Cleaver + Berserker's Greaves + one of PD/BT/Mercurial. Feels like this build shouldn't have the greatest scaling (especially if you go BT/Mercurial as last item versus a PD) but in practice I've been doing so much damage at every stage of the game that I haven't really felt the loss of the IE.

The win rates on masteries show Deathfire Touch as the way to go. Max R > Q first; the max order after that is up to you. W for more DPS, E for a bigger slow.

Core: Ghostblade, Duskblade, Black Cleaver. The build order depends on how you are doing and what you want to excel at early (Ghostblade by default, Duskblade for dueling power, Black Cleaver for early teamfight power)

Boots: Swifties or CDR boots; you can do Berserker's Greaves too, but with all your actives up and standard ADC runes/masteries you have 212% AS at level 18. With RFC this will be 242% so most of the boots AS is wasted.

I don't like Phantom dancer for MF. You are fast enough with Strut/Swifties and you have enough dueling power with the rest of the build. Rapid Firecannon is the best choice for a crit item considering the rest of her build. Essence Reaver is good too but you won't max out the CDR bonus with an Armor Pen build. I would not get a Zeal item if you are not intending to build an IE afterwards.

For the other 2 items:
-Maw is a good choice for almost any game, especially if they have lots of AP
-Mercurial if you need QSS
-Infinity Edge + Rapid Firecannon for pure AA damage.
-Lord Dominik's if they have lots of armor/Mortal Reminder if you need the Grievous Wounds
-Bloodthirster for sustain

IE + RFC for the last 2 items will be the max DPS in terms of pure auto attacking. You need to decide whether you want to go for raw AA DPS or if you need the utility of other items. Keep in mind the following:
-Q has no interaction with crit chance/bonus crit damage
-E has no interaction with crit chance/bonus crit damage
-R can crit, but each crit only does 20% of your bonus crit damage.

In terms of your abilities in a vacuum, AD and Armor pen items are going to be just as good as an IE and much better than a Zeal item. It all comes down to how much you trust your team to peel for you, your ability to position well, and how much you need utility.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 11, 2016

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Let's be honest, the reason I hope riot never removes runes is because I have no faith in their ability to rebalance the game around it in under 6 months.

I'm having flashbacks to the start of season 4 (I think) where there were maybe 4 junglers who could clear more than one camp before recalling.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
So watching Worlds I see Jayce getting played a fair amount. Which is alright because Jayce is a cool dude. But what about him do they like? Is it JUST the poke and speed boost or is there something else I'm not seeing?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Jayce was used to good effect against C9 when Impact came in as Kennen with ult up and Jayce just batted him away. So poke, speed boost, disengage, engage are all quality traits of his.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

but with all your actives up and standard ADC runes/masteries you have 212% AS at level 18. With RFC this will be 242% so most of the boots AS is wasted.

Pretty sure the optimal rune/mastery setup on MF gives you precisely 0 AS right now (take +ability damage mastery and flat arpen reds/quints), so I don't think this is that big of a deal. Berserker's Greaves have been super cost-efficient for a while now and are pretty hard to pass up imo. I've also been running 10% CDR in scaling blues to hit 40% with cleaver + ghostblade -- I think this is pretty common in the Korean ADC builds as well.

Appreciate the detailed post but I was looking more for anecdotal advice -- I understand that crit outscales arpen/etc but that wasn't really the question I was asking. Do you usually build RFC or do you ever pass it up in favor of pure AD/arpen builds?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Jayce was used to good effect against C9 when Impact came in as Kennen with ult up and Jayce just batted him away. So poke, speed boost, disengage, engage are all quality traits of his.

I wouldn't say jayce has engage, he has good "all inning"

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

So watching Worlds I see Jayce getting played a fair amount. Which is alright because Jayce is a cool dude. But what about him do they like? Is it JUST the poke and speed boost or is there something else I'm not seeing?

It's poke, specifically in the context of a dedicated siege composition, which isn't something seen often in solo queue because teams don't often have the discipline to just stand there chipping at a tower without diving or getting hard engaged on. See also: Nidalee, Caitlyn, Ezreal

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The other night I built a Randuin's as my final and defensive item on Jinx (I replaced my Berserker Greaves with a Phantom Dancer) because the enemy team had 4 AD and NONE of them built Last Whispers until the very very last second.

There is nothing more depressing and hilarious than a full build Graves struggling to even scratch a Jinx because he didn't build Last Whisper and she picked up a Randuins :haw:

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

curiousCat posted:

*points to user title*
ffoxface

The friend request from "0xc0ca" that you just got is me.

edit: I'm on my smurf account for a bit, but I'll probably be around and playing games for most of the evening. Just send me a message if you see me online, and I'll duo with you; I've been looking for a low plat/high gold ADC for a bit now.

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 12, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I'm around for a while.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

Jayce has a really strong laning phase, really strong poke and all-in, and he's one of the best pushers/tower taking champions in the game. If you leave him alone in lane for like 5 seconds a 3 item Jayce will take your tower.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

curiousCat posted:

*points to user title*
ffoxface

I haven't looked at what that said in a while and that reminds me of the goonmans of yore where you'd get thrown toplane, no one would pay attention to you for a while, and then somehow you're in the enemy jungle 1v3'ing
or you were afk in the enemy jungle because you got dc'd

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

I haven't looked at what that said in a while and that reminds me of the goonmans of yore where you'd get thrown toplane, no one would pay attention to you for a while, and then somehow you're in the enemy jungle 1v3'ing
or you were afk in the enemy jungle because you got dc'd

the best goonmans I was in featured either my "is her computer dead or is she ulting" Rengar or my "why the gently caress is this working" jungle Katarina

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I've had three games recently where the enemy toplane went bot and the enemy botlane went top. In the first game, we told our toplaner to play safe, abused the hell out of the enemy solo laner who was trying to 2v1, and won the game. The second game, we tried to keep up in the lane swaps because our top laner was bitching about it, and ended up getting outrotated and we lost. The third game, I had a top lane nasus who just couldn't understand that there was more than one person in his lane, and he died ten times then ragequit.

Just unlucky? Or are lane swaps coming back into meta for some reason?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I'd say that with Herald top and cloud drakes spawning seemingly constantly, there's no real reason to be locked to solo top/duo bot. It's for dragon control so if you don't wanna control dragon thennnnnnn

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

kingcobweb posted:

I'd say that with Herald top and cloud drakes spawning seemingly constantly, there's no real reason to be locked to solo top/duo bot. It's for dragon control so if you don't wanna control dragon thennnnnnn

Doesn't the weaker bot tower and first blood turret gold mean that putting a solo laner in bot gives you a disadvantage?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
oh

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

:<

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2317027166/211473482

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Gah I still can't see match history. Not on chrome, not on firefox, not even on IE

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Less than 200 farm at 45 minutes should result in an automatic ban

edit: they had no jungler, how could you lose?

edit 2: looks like you overstayed after getting an inhib tower and got dicked by syndra?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Picked Vel supp on a whim as a new champ to try and get S with and ended up just wrecking lane and game despite rushing fairly standard support items (spellthief ss and aegis) tho i did make banner instead of locket off the aegis. Ended up doing most damage by a landslide and got my freebie S.

Honestly surprised i don't see it more often. In lane it felt pretty okay cause that e is so good and q has a slow, once i hit 6 i just became a monster.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Teikanmi posted:

Less than 200 farm at 45 minutes should result in an automatic ban

edit: they had no jungler, how could you lose?

edit 2: looks like you overstayed after getting an inhib tower and got dicked by syndra?

the team got caught out and i backed them up and died, not sure if i should have left or not, but i don't think i could have held out 1v5 either. the team was maddening, i kept begging them to just group up with me but they were all over the loving map. after we took the first baron four of them got caught out in the enemy jungle fighting over nothing and we nearly got aced.

deathfire mf is real and strong and my friend

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

blah_blah posted:

I just picked up MF again so I'm not speaking from a huge amount of experience, but I feel like Deathfire basically has to be a better keystone given how much bonus flat AD she gets. I'm consistently doing 10-15% of my total damage as magic on her and I'm pretty sure that more of it comes from Deathfire than E. Agreed that E-max is a style for wimps and uncool people, but now it's also clearly worse as well.

Any insight on builds? I've been building all the flat arpen items (Ghostblade/Duskblade/Maw) + Black Cleaver + Berserker's Greaves + one of PD/BT/Mercurial. Feels like this build shouldn't have the greatest scaling (especially if you go BT/Mercurial as last item versus a PD) but in practice I've been doing so much damage at every stage of the game that I haven't really felt the loss of the IE.

Bloodthirster is particularly good on MF because the shield from BT prevents her passive movespeed from dropping off to incidental damage, which is amazing.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

The Mash posted:

Bloodthirster is particularly good on MF because the shield from BT prevents her passive movespeed from dropping off to incidental damage, which is amazing.

That is a weird and surprising interaction. Thanks for the heads up.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
just saw this on reddit

please riot games, do what is right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm confused, I keep clicking strongly agree but nothing is happening

• Locked thread