Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm a cooking beginner who is following a recipe that looked tasty. If it calls for "2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (sirloin roast)" and I can't find something named that at my grocery store, are there other word phrasings of that cut that I can look for and still walk out with the same thing?

I asked the employee nearest to me and she said she didn't see one, but recommended one that says "pork loin top loin roast" but now I'm not sure if that's even from the same approximate area of the pig. It's already in the slow cooker so I guess we'll see how it turns out in 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to see someone accidentally use the salted butter for their Marmite toast.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Ningyou posted:

So I'm making a standing rib roast instead of turkey for Thanksgiving this year and really worried about screwing it up. :ohdear: I've been looking at a bunch of recipes and have some idea of how to cook it, but I decided I want to try making a dijon rub for it and I'm sort of unsure what to do.

I found this rub recipe that sounded like it could be good (1/4c sea salt and black pepper, 1/3c olive oil and dijon mustard and cream horseradish), but I found it on some mommyblog with zero comments about it being good or terrible or anything in between so i'm kind of nervous about actually using it.

Does that sound like it would turn out kind of crap if I used it on the rib roast? and if so does anybody have a better rub recipe they could share or should I just use salt+pepper or something :ohdear:

I can't be much help with the rub portion of the evening, but if you do go with the Dijon route, you could try a simple Dijon cream sauce with the drippings. Alternatively, keep it in your back pocket in case the rub doesn't turn out as flavorful as you'd like. You should probably separate the fat from the pan before using the drippings FYI. The gist is essentially to deglaze the pan with about as much water as you'd like sauce, then bring to a boil and reduce a bit. reduce the heat and add heavy cream (I use a half cup cream per cup of water) then bring to a simmer until it thickens up nearly to the consistency you'd like. Add Dijon (again, i use 2 tablespoons or so per cup of water but you ought to do this to taste the first time), salt, and pepper. You could include horseradish somehow, too, which would go well with the rib roast.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

My Lovely Horse posted:

I want to see someone accidentally use the salted butter for their Marmite toast.

I use salted butter for my marmite toast. Is your butter super salty?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

drat Bananas posted:

I'm a cooking beginner who is following a recipe that looked tasty. If it calls for "2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (sirloin roast)" and I can't find something named that at my grocery store, are there other word phrasings of that cut that I can look for and still walk out with the same thing?

Pork loin is a different cut. Shoulder is working muscle, loin is more tender muscle from along the body. Usually you want to cook loin more gently, it tends to dry out if overcooked.

Different names for pig shoulder. These may or may not be technically different cuts, but they're from the same area of the animal and can be used for similar jobs.

Pork shoulder
Pork butt
Boston butt
Fresh picnic
Picnic roast

You want something that looks more or less like this

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tendales posted:

Pork loin is a different cut. Shoulder is working muscle, loin is more tender muscle from along the body. Usually you want to cook loin more gently, it tends to dry out if overcooked.

Different names for pig shoulder. These may or may not be technically different cuts, but they're from the same area of the animal and can be used for similar jobs.

Pork shoulder
Pork butt
Boston butt
Fresh picnic
Picnic roast

Go purely by looks, I bought something that was labeled "Pork Butt" only to find out it was from the middle part of the leg, it tasted awful.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Tendales posted:

Pork shoulder
Pork butt
Boston butt
Fresh picnic
Picnic roast

Perfectly helpful, thank you! It did turn out dry. Womp womp. It's all a part of the learning process I suppose.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

angor posted:

I use salted butter for my marmite toast. Is your butter super salty?

Yeah, me too. Salted butter is the only butter I buy.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've bought many different brands of salted butter and the store brand varies dramatically in salty-ness, but the next step up varies less than I care to pay attention to. maybe you got a really salty batch? :canada: for if it matters.
I also leave a half pound of butter out all year except July/Aug and I'm pretty sure it's fine because it's salted.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You'll know when butter gets rancid...

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just checked my butter. Apparently it comes in "Unsalted" and "Slightly Salted". We use the slightly salted for anything that requires soft butter and keep unsalted in the fridge for cooking. They come in pretty small sticks (100g) so it's perfect for leaving near the toaster.

angor fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 10, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I usually get unsalted since I want to adjust the salt myself.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I accidentally used salted butter once to make pastry for mince pies, and it was kind of gross. I could imagine it would have worked for a savory pie/quiche crust though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Grand Fromage posted:

I usually get unsalted since I want to adjust the salt myself.

Even for things like toast?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

angor posted:

When I found out about salted/un-salted butter, I finally figured out why my grandma always sprinkled the salt shaker on her bread and butter. She didn't used salted butter.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Yes, i buy kosher salt in bulk. How else would i know what using a tbs of salt for mouth wash tastes like?

I guess i just find salted butter too salty. But it sounds like its for spreadin on toast, not grillin cheeses. Thanks, friends!

^^^ maybe being generic/low quality stuff is why its salty

try mayo on your grilled cheese next time, its even better for getting a nice browning

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Ningyou posted:

So I'm making a standing rib roast instead of turkey for Thanksgiving this year and really worried about screwing it up. :ohdear: I've been looking at a bunch of recipes and have some idea of how to cook it, but I decided I want to try making a dijon rub for it and I'm sort of unsure what to do.

I found this rub recipe that sounded like it could be good (1/4c sea salt and black pepper, 1/3c olive oil and dijon mustard and cream horseradish), but I found it on some mommyblog with zero comments about it being good or terrible or anything in between so i'm kind of nervous about actually using it.

Does that sound like it would turn out kind of crap if I used it on the rib roast? and if so does anybody have a better rub recipe they could share or should I just use salt+pepper or something :ohdear:

With a good lump of meat like a rib roast, all you need are salt and pepper. Horseradish and mustard (English is my preference) are traditional condiments for beef, but don't need to be smeared over it. Good crust and deep beef flavour are the aim with a joint, everything else is a supporting role.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Cavenagh posted:

With a good lump of meat like a rib roast, all you need are salt and pepper. Horseradish and mustard (English is my preference) are traditional condiments for beef, but don't need to be smeared over it. Good crust and deep beef flavour are the aim with a joint, everything else is a supporting role.

Agreed completely. Also, see if you can track down some Telicherry peppercorns. I much prefer them to the generic "pepper" available in my local grocery store.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

angor posted:

The vast majority of my butter use is in cooking. The once every couple months I have toast or whatever I can just salt it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ningyou posted:

I did a rib of beef with no rub or anything for Christmas last year. You can't go wrong with Delia! My dad makes a great roast beef with powdered mustard + salt for the rub. I would say to keep it simple and let the meat stand up for itself.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Many years ago during my time of living in a caravan that was miles from anything, my friend couldn't be bothered to drive all the way to the shop but was really hungry. He made some toast, realised there was no butter or margarine, and proceeded to put Marmite on his dry toast. When this turned out to be so very dry, he had the bright idea of putting more Marmite on. Watching him eat it was a hilarious thing to behold, and he somehow got through it but not before his mouth had sucked itself inwards from the dry, dry, salty dryness.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Missing Name posted:

Can anyone suggest good red and white wines for cooking? I tend to stray more towards super dry, as sweet gravy is awful. Carlo Rossi has been my go to but there's gotta be something better than that.

Things I know to stay away from:
- anything yellowtail

Bully Hill (a local thing) used to have a great, puckery red called (Bully Hill) Meat Market Red which I haven't been able to find recently. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, what comes close as far as super dry reds?

More specifically, I have lots of bacon and beef fat to make things with.

Revived an old post, but coming from both the restaurant world and now the wine sales world, the top restaurants are using boxed wine to earn those Michelin stars. Buy a box of Peter Vella and it will last longer than opening a bottle anyway.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I cut some potatoes for fries and put them in water, but I had to run out of the house before I can cook em. Will they still be good to cook after sitting in the water for a couple hours?

Unicorncupcake
Sep 13, 2011

I have the recipe for the chocolate nut cake from Henderson of Edinburgh to make for my mom's 70th birthday. Despite being neither vegan nor gluten-free, My mom loves this cake so much that she emailed them to ask for the recipe so we could attempt it at home in the US, which they very graciously provided. Of course, the recipe is for restaurant use, which means it significantly surpasses my cake needs at this time. I just want one cake, not four. I would just quarter the recipe, but I am worried that that will mess up the leavening somehow. I've been hunting around and found a lot of instructions on how to scale up a cake recipe, but nothing about how to scale down. Any advice? Please help! Here's the recipe:

Vegan & Gluten Free Chocolate Nut Cake

Ingredients for 4 cakes, 12 slices each, 48 portions

1kg GF Self Raising Flour
1kg Sugar
3tsp GF Baking Powder
800g Ground Mixed nuts (hazelnut, brazil nuts)
200g Cocoa Powder
200 g Dark Chocolate (chopped)
150 ml Golden Syrup
1L Sunflower Oil
1.2L Soya Milk

Instructions

Mix all dry ingredients in mixer then add all other ingredients and mix till incorporated
Bake at 180 for 60 minutes

Vegan Chocolate Sauce (for 4 cakes)

1L soya Cream
1Kg Dark Chocolate

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made lasagna and didn't consider that the huge amount of leftovers contain tomatoes. As I understand it, tomatoes taste like crap if you refridgerate them while hot. How should I handle this?

Thanks to whoever linked that sausage lasagna a week or so ago. The ratios in that thing are off, not nearly enough sauce. But since I didn't have as many noodles as I thought, it came out perfectly. Great anniversary dinner for someone who hadn't gotten to eat lasagna in over a year.

Actually, I might have gotten too small of a container of tomatoes, come to think of it. I might have grabbed a ~25 ounce can rather than 35 ounce.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made lasagna and didn't consider that the huge amount of leftovers contain tomatoes. As I understand it, tomatoes taste like crap if you refridgerate them while hot. How should I handle this?
Err.. leave it to cool beforehand? I've never heard that tomatoes taste bad after they go into a fridge hot either, and I doubt it's true. I'm sure I've done that a number of times after making a sauce, and I've never noticed anything. Lasagne is a classic "make tons and have leftovers" kind of dish

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's what I ended up doing, just tossing it in the fridge. I ended up having to head out and I wasn't sure how long until I would be back. Hopefully it turns out okay.

I was worried it would take so long to cool it would go bad.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Ron Jeremy posted:

I cut some potatoes for fries and put them in water, but I had to run out of the house before I can cook em. Will they still be good to cook after sitting in the water for a couple hours?

Yeah I'd say so, since that's how a lot of chip shops (at least in AU) keep their hand cuts for short term storage. Use more paper towels, pressure, and time when you're drying the potatoes before you fry them. Otherwise you're gunna end up with some dank chips, possibly terrible fat burns.

I did some quick googling, you're apparently supposed to put cut potatoes stored in water in the fridge after the first hour :siren: however consider these just the mere ravings of a lunatic on the internet because :siren: if you state anything about food safety in this fact then the thread derails for pages.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I accidentally left a cooked potato gratin out overnight. It smells okay. I put it in the fridge now.

I can probably still eat it, right?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Unicorncupcake posted:

I have the recipe for the chocolate nut cake from Henderson of Edinburgh to make for my mom's 70th birthday. Despite being neither vegan nor gluten-free, My mom loves this cake so much that she emailed them to ask for the recipe so we could attempt it at home in the US, which they very graciously provided. Of course, the recipe is for restaurant use, which means it significantly surpasses my cake needs at this time. I just want one cake, not four. I would just quarter the recipe, but I am worried that that will mess up the leavening somehow. I've been hunting around and found a lot of instructions on how to scale up a cake recipe, but nothing about how to scale down. Any advice? Please help! Here's the recipe:

Just quarter the recipe, it will be fine. Assuming I'm not missing something, the recipe already wants you to split the batter between 4 tins before baking, so you shouldn't need to adjust anything beyond the amount of batter that you make.

With such a long bake, you do need to be careful that your oven is the correct temperature, so you might want to buy an oven thermometer to be sure. If the oven is too hot, you might burn the cake before it's fully cooked.

Late tip edit:

Unicorncupcake posted:

200 g Dark Chocolate (chopped)

I would actually grate the chocolate instead of chopping it. If the pieces of chocolate were too big, I'd worry that the chocolate wouldn't get evenly mixed through the finished cake.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 12, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks to whoever linked that sausage lasagna a week or so ago. The ratios in that thing are off, not nearly enough sauce. But since I didn't have as many noodles as I thought, it came out perfectly. Great anniversary dinner for someone who hadn't gotten to eat lasagna in over a year.

Actually, I might have gotten too small of a container of tomatoes, come to think of it. I might have grabbed a ~25 ounce can rather than 35 ounce.

I've never heard of refrigerating cooked tomatoes while hot being a problem, also I've refrigerated plenty of pasta with tomato sauce while hot and had it reheat just fine the next day and that includes lasagna.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah that tomato thing sounds bunk, literally never had an issue and I'm that guy that de-refrigerates their refrigerator by putting in giant tupperwares of hot sauce.

also:

Turkeybone posted:

Revived an old post, but coming from both the restaurant world and now the wine sales world, the top restaurants are using boxed wine to earn those Michelin stars. Buy a box of Peter Vella and it will last longer than opening a bottle anyway.

this is absolutely true. I discovered box wine like a month ago and now that I've finished the half-box I started with I don't think I'm going to buy anything else for my cheap wine fix. It's like a pop fountain but for adults

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My only issue with tomato sauce is it stains my plastic storage poo poo. Still worth it for leftover lasagna.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

spankmeister posted:

I accidentally left a cooked potato gratin out overnight. It smells okay. I put it in the fridge now.

I can probably still eat it, right?

I would

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Re: boxed wine: if you have an Aldi near you, try out their red blend box. It's unbelievably adequate for :10bux:

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I am starting to get into cooking. I was thinking of making this today:
https://www.tastemade.com/videos/easy-cheesy-skillet-macaroni

I just had some general questions:

1) I don't ever buy milk because I don't drink it [out of habit]. Can I compensate by adding extra butter?

2) I have cheddar, mozzarella and pecorino cheese. I was thinking of throwing the pecorino on top before baking. Is this a good idea? How do I get a sense of what cheeses will taste good in a mac and cheese? Is it just out of experience or is there a sort of formula that some cheeses taste better than others?

3) After I boil the pasta, do I want to keep any of the starchy water and somehow use it to help make the cheese mold better with the pasta or does it not matter because it will just bake into it?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This is pretty much just melting cheese over noodles. Don't sweat it too much

1) Don't bother. Maybe add a tsp of water to help keep things moist.

2) Pecorino is delicious Go for it.
a) Most any cheese works. The formula is generally, one cheese that melts nice and one cheese for flavor.

3) Thats what the milk is for in 1). Again, not enough to really make a difference one way or another.

If you want to get into cooking, mac and cheese is a good way to start.

Most mac and cheeses start with with a bechemel sauce which is a handy thing to learn to make. Then you add cheese to the bechemel to melt, mix in the noodles, then top with bread crumbs and or salty cheese.

Bechemel is easy. Melt butter, add flour, cook to get a little color on it, then add milk and stir. It's like milk gravy.

Here's Alton Brown doing it. He's a good intro for nerds like those who post on these fine forums

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sz9zn

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

I am starting to get into cooking. I was thinking of making this today:
https://www.tastemade.com/videos/easy-cheesy-skillet-macaroni

I just had some general questions:

1) I don't ever buy milk because I don't drink it [out of habit]. Can I compensate by adding extra butter?

2) I have cheddar, mozzarella and pecorino cheese. I was thinking of throwing the pecorino on top before baking. Is this a good idea? How do I get a sense of what cheeses will taste good in a mac and cheese? Is it just out of experience or is there a sort of formula that some cheeses taste better than others?

3) After I boil the pasta, do I want to keep any of the starchy water and somehow use it to help make the cheese mold better with the pasta or does it not matter because it will just bake into it?

1: It'll be a different dish - maybe a richer, thicker solid macaroni cake instead of macaroni in a gooey cheese sauce. You mentioned that you're starting to get into cooking; time to start experimenting. The results will be edible, and might even be better than the original, to your taste.

2: Pecorino on top should make a nice crust; dryer, harder cheeses like pecorino, romano, and parmesan are good at that. The hard, dry stuff on top and the moister, softer stuff as the sauce is a good way to start. Some cheeses like paneer and ricotta don't really melt at all, but in most other instances the general guideline is use soft moist stuff for the sauce and the hard dry stuff as topping- notice that recipe uses 2c of cheddar and mozzarella to the few tbsp of parmesan. Different cheeses just have different uses, try a few and you'll figure it out right away. A chunk of cheddar grated would make a nice grilled cheese, but it would be out of place grated over tapenade. Manchego would be unwieldy and expensive on a grilled cheese, but a a few shavings grated on a salad is really nice. Try them and cook with them and you'll figure out what goes where.

3: It's pretty common to use pasta water in sauce, but don't feel obligated to save it. If you're substituting for milk, you're probably better off using a few tbsp of the water rather than making it up with butter.

Basically, unless it's a special occasion, make the thing the way you want and see how it turns out. It doesn't look like there's anything to that recipe that would be inedible. Make it, note how it turns out, and if you decide to, make adjustments to it.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Enigma89, if you don't drink milk, but want to have it available for occasional cooking, try UHT-milk. It keeps for months in unopened packaging and is often available in small, 150-300 ml boxes. The main drawback with UHT-milk is the taste. It is milk that has been heated to such an high temperature that all potential sources of spoilage have been killed. This also changes the flavor so that it tastes like boiled milk. I don't like that flavor when drinking cold milk, but for cooking it's a non issue.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Here's Alton Brown doing it. He's a good intro for nerds like those who post on these fine forums

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2sz9zn

Can confirm. Just want to warn you though that he's very strict with measurements and ingredients. When I was first learning to cook through watching his show I got the impression that if I had to substitute an ingredient or streamline a step to make it easier then I was doing it wrong and everyone will hate me and Julia Child is spinning in her grave and so on. That's probably just my dumbass who worried about that sort of stuff though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you don't know how to cook making substitutions is dangerous. If I were trying to teach people how to cook saying "no substitutions" is easier than dealing with people who would make bizarre substitutions and then complain about it.