Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this mrbtongue guy is pretty decent, though like 99% of YouTube I'd enjoy him more if he spent less time talking about just mostly videogames. wish I could find more like him, too bad he apparently died or disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Are all y'all high? What the heck was even this past page.

to the surprise of literally nobody, devin faraci turns out to be a serial rapist

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 11, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Uuuuh what, looking it up it seems like he's left some site or something because of sexual assault stuff coming up from someone from several years ago. You can call someone a shitbag for being terrible as they obviously are, but don't start saying stuff like that without either linking or explaining further.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
or yall could drop the subject rather than getting into lame twitter drama, as lovely as that dude seems there's probably nothing meaningful to be gleaned arguing about him itt

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Calaveron posted:

I am sincerely asking you people on the Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Probably more than 0 Days Since The Last Drama Bomb thread: What does "woke" mean

In case you're being sincere in asking, it's a term used first by African Americans to denote someone who's aware of how things really work re: racism and social justice.

Picked up by poo poo bags online as a way to sarcastically call someone a dirty liberal. Basically the new "SJW" as pejorative.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Jim Sterling doesn't have a lot nice things to say about VR

"Privilege goggles for tech bloggers" is a pretty apt description for VR.

I think VR is going to find its niche in the same homes of the people who bought the full orchestra of plastic instruments during the Guitar Hero/Rock Band craze. It's really fun as a high-tech novelty for everyone to make themselves look like doofuses with after a few drinks but I can't ever imagine wanting to use one when just relaxing with a game after work. Also like 99.9% of VR games fail the test of "can I play this comfortably while sitting/laying on the couch?" which also made those plastic instruments and general motion controls inherently doomed to failure.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

VR also kills the last vestiges of the social aspects of console gaming. It is impossible for someone to enjoy it with you without also going out and spending tons of money on their own VR headset and then leaving the room to set up their own motion detecting room to join you online.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
The traditional model of couch co-op or passing around the controller and watching people take turns causing mayhem in GTA or something isn't really a thing. However, there's still some room for fun social experiences, in particular, "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" which directly works of the isolation of only one person wearing the VR headset. The person in VR is the only one who can see the bomb and the people out of VR are the only ones who can see the defusing instructions.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The inevitable march of whiny self centred nerds to the "gotta keep the fuckin poors out" ideology.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mischalaniouse posted:

In case you're being sincere in asking, it's a term used first by African Americans to denote someone who's aware of how things really work re: racism and social justice.

Picked up by poo poo bags online as a way to sarcastically call someone a dirty liberal. Basically the new "SJW" as pejorative.

It also had a stop in between at tumblrite land, because cultural appropriation is cool when we do it.

Super tired of seeing that from little white girls with nerd glasses.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Terrible Opinions posted:

VR also kills the last vestiges of the social aspects of console gaming. It is impossible for someone to enjoy it with you without also going out and spending tons of money on their own VR headset and then leaving the room to set up their own motion detecting room to join you online.

but but what about

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Deport The Irish posted:

The traditional model of couch co-op or passing around the controller and watching people take turns causing mayhem in GTA or something isn't really a thing. However, there's still some room for fun social experiences, in particular, "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes" which directly works of the isolation of only one person wearing the VR headset. The person in VR is the only one who can see the bomb and the people out of VR are the only ones who can see the defusing instructions.

Hence last vestiges instead of a functioning healthy social aspect.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Devin faraci being a rapist discussion is probably inappropriate cuz I have to assume and hope that outside of this no one's talked about him for like 50 pages
let's get the director of the nat turner movie to lynch him 👍🏽

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think anyone was going to continue discussing it given that literally every single post past the first was "don't bother talking about this", but I'm pretty sure him harassing people for having different opinions than him on Suicide Squad was less than 50 pages ago. Faraci's actual criticism is kinda bad and not entertaining so he only comes up in thsi thread when he does something bad on twitter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Faraci is a lovely critic who only gets eyeballs by making grand, usually condemning, statements about people he views as his 'enemy'. Even when he's on the right side like 'maybe you guys care too much about getting a hateboner for ghostbusters' remake' he's such a 0-100 wannabe firebrand that he's impossible to call helpful. I think him getting revealed to be an abuser while angrily condemning others was hilarious and his 'oh no I don't even remember that' has some super troubling implications about how common that was for him to do, but yea there's not exactly a ton to 'say' about it.

Famous rear end in a top hat revealed to be an even worse rear end in a top hat than you thought.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
well if he makes it okay to like Birth of a Nation then he;s sacrificed his white fatbody for a righteous cause

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Another Doctor Who book review, today it's an unofficial meta-crossover with Quatermass (which I painfully mispronounce), "Nightshade" by Mark Gatiss. Yes, it's Gatiss' first Doctor Who work, and it's better than anything he actually wrote for television.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Puppy Time posted:

It also had a stop in between at tumblrite land, because cultural appropriation is cool when we do it.

Super tired of seeing that from little white girls with nerd glasses.

Goddamn do I hate the concept of 'Cultural Appropriation'. Cultures meet and mix and take inspiration from each other! That's how they evolve. They don't fit in neat little boxes that can be separated and never touch other.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might as well stop speaking English. That is the biggest cultural appropriation sham in the world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To be fair it's not like cultural appropriation isn't a thing at all. It's just a pretty specific thing that usually involves an 'outsider' profiting off a culture and has some connotations of poo poo like playing up the whole ~mysterious exotic peoples~ bullshit and all. It's just the term's been completely watered down and made useless when people apply it to 'a cosplayer wore a kimono in a photo shoot' rather than stuff like 'some white hippy douchebag is selling ~ancient native healing herbs~ for like fifty bucks'.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Might as well stop speaking English. That is the biggest cultural appropriation sham in the world.
I think you mean the language re-uniter. All you other children of the Indo-European root language keep changing things and discarding other things. English is bringing them all back under one roof for Thanksgiving and it doesn't care how poorly they fit together.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, it's usually more along the lines of "hey, let's take this important religious/cultural thing and turn it into a kitschy consumer item" (war bonnets, Hindu deities, Day of the Dead stuff right now), especially when this is done without any semblance of participation from the cultures being swiped from. Like I'm p. sure most of the people getting into Day of the Dead stuff probably aren't that close with anyone from a culture celebrating that holiday.

I brought it up only because the people swiping Black vernacular are also often the types to complain about it, and don't tend to notice the irony.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I only ask that when swiping my Day of the Dead culture you get blitzed on mezcal and tequila. It's the least you can do.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

MariusLecter posted:

I only ask that when swiping my Day of the Dead culture you get blitzed on mezcal and tequila. It's the least you can do.

So I can have booze, big candy skulls, and play a kickass level in Little Big Planet? And then maybe follow it up with the superior 1930s Dracula? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be fair it's not like cultural appropriation isn't a thing at all. It's just a pretty specific thing that usually involves an 'outsider' profiting off a culture and has some connotations of poo poo like playing up the whole ~mysterious exotic peoples~ bullshit and all. It's just the term's been completely watered down and made useless...

It's what happens to any term on the Internet. poo poo, look at Social Justice Warrior. It used to mean someone who literally thinks they're a sparkle dog trapped in a humans body or that they legit believe their head canon for the brothers on Supernatural are loving.

Now it just means anyone even a slight hair left of center to the point where if you say "hey you're kinda racist for calling black people niggers" can get you branded an SJW now. I mean christ. I've seen loving MundaneMatt called an SJW by the right these days. Or Totalbiscuit also called one for not being racist and sexist enough, not even exaggerating.

Hipster is also a decent example although I don't see that used much anymore. Hipsters used to be pretentious douchebags who liked stuff before it was popular, etc. Last I saw it used it basically meant anyone who likes things different than you.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I think of cultural appropriation as poo poo like Paul Whiteman (a man as white as his name suggests) popularizing and profiting off of jazz in the '20s and '30s and employing mostly white musicians. In a way it's hard for me to complain too much because he commissioned Gershwin to write Rhapsody in Blue, but a pot is a pot.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If you don't know what cultural appropriation is, just look up Pat Boone.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

To be fair it's not like cultural appropriation isn't a thing at all. It's just a pretty specific thing that usually involves an 'outsider' profiting off a culture and has some connotations of poo poo like playing up the whole ~mysterious exotic peoples~ bullshit and all. It's just the term's been completely watered down and made useless when people apply it to 'a cosplayer wore a kimono in a photo shoot' rather than stuff like 'some white hippy douchebag is selling ~ancient native healing herbs~ for like fifty bucks'.

See, I thought that was just good old racism or exploitation. Shows me up for only knowing the watered-down version of the word.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXx8WLfwEKY
Jim Sterling dissects just how Battleborn collapsed as a competitor to pretty much anything. To be honest, I haven't seen a more obvious consumer crash since THQ put Space Marine out mere weeks before Gears of War 3 overwhelmed the TPS market.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Puppy Time posted:

I brought it up only because the people swiping Black vernacular are also often the types to complain about it, and don't tend to notice the irony.

WTF are you talkin bout bae? ?? We gonna get woke af and challenge culturally appropriating shitlords xddd

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tracula posted:

It's what happens to any term on the Internet. poo poo, look at Social Justice Warrior. It used to mean someone who literally thinks they're a sparkle dog trapped in a humans body or that they legit believe their head canon for the brothers on Supernatural are loving.

Now it just means anyone even a slight hair left of center to the point where if you say "hey you're kinda racist for calling black people niggers" can get you branded an SJW now. I mean christ. I've seen loving MundaneMatt called an SJW by the right these days. Or Totalbiscuit also called one for not being racist and sexist enough, not even exaggerating.

Hipster is also a decent example although I don't see that used much anymore. Hipsters used to be pretentious douchebags who liked stuff before it was popular, etc. Last I saw it used it basically meant anyone who likes things different than you.

The internet is a fun place in which you can both be a SWJ and a raging racist, statement to statement! It comes down to if that person cares too little about the right things and too much about the wrong things. Like, I heard some people say that most people are unhappier these days than they were before all this "SWJ stuff" happened and I simply said that most people learned of how screwed up a lot of things are, so they're more concerned. Ignorance is bliss kind of argument.

Edit: SWJ, like millennial, is just a catchall word to describe something that person doesn't like. At least in tame or casual uses of the word, I find.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 13, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

those tumblr idiots confusing cooking mexican food for cultural appropriation just shows you that they heard the term once, assumed what it meant without researching what it actually means, and took it up as a cause because performative social justice is more important to them than actually being helpful and correct

like obviously there's a massive difference between experiencing another culture's stuff and taking ownership of it, like I grew up around my grandparents having their house filled with indigenous australian art and tools and stuff and they were the most racist garbage people I've ever met, they didn't care about their culture, they wanted to take it

that's what appropriation looks like

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To be fair bae is a word that was probably better off smothered in the crib and if annoying idiots on the internet run it into the grave sooner, all the better.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I love the word bae because people get so ridiculously mad about a word that sounds almost identical to "babe". Yeah, the sentiment that's been attached to it (not sure if it's a backcronym or not) "before all/anyone else" is perhaps a bit codependent and unhealthy, but it's not worth the sheer level of constant rage I see people spew towards it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

those tumblr idiots confusing cooking mexican food for cultural appropriation just shows you that they heard the term once, assumed what it meant without researching what it actually means, and took it up as a cause because performative social justice is more important to them than actually being helpful and correct

like obviously there's a massive difference between experiencing another culture's stuff and taking ownership of it, like I grew up around my grandparents having their house filled with indigenous australian art and tools and stuff and they were the most racist garbage people I've ever met, they didn't care about their culture, they wanted to take it

that's what appropriation looks like

The thing is though, and I think what Choc was talking about when he started it, is that 'taking ownership' of various cultural things is how cultures have grown and developed. It's just it used to be done through conquering, and then the two cultures intermingled and became something new, and then that just repeats over and over.

It's probably best seen through food, and tracking various styles, ingredients, and techniques throughout history is pretty interesting.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The thing is though, and I think what Choc was talking about when he started it, is that 'taking ownership' of various cultural things is how cultures have grown and developed. It's just it used to be done through conquering, and then the two cultures intermingled and became something new, and then that just repeats over and over.

It's probably best seen through food, and tracking various styles, ingredients, and techniques throughout history is pretty interesting.

well sure but I think the whole conquering thing is something people would like to avoid in the future, mutual exchange of culture was just as common and natural too

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, yeah, no, I don't support the conquering thing, it's just a rather common thing in history is all.

But yeah, getting upset that cultures are intertwining and forming something new and different is weird.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

like obviously cultural appropriation as a social justice issue is to avoid aggressive and damaging appropriation of culture, cases like culture taken through conquering but also smaller scale stuff like the washington redskins or something, but it being twisted by people who don't know what the gently caress they're talking about is massively damaging to the cause, I wish those tumblr idiots yelling about someone wearing a kimono would shut up

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Hey, remember Don't Ask Don't Tell? Turns out for whatever reason, there aren't many movies about it. But I reviewed one of them, and it's essentially Top Gun. Just......gayer. And cheaper. BURNING BLUE!

BTW while I found a few movies about DADT (which are all bullshit movies that nobody has ever seen - one of them is a version of Romeo and Juliet set in an all-male military school, that I tried to watch but couldn't get through because I'm a clod who never studied and doesn't understand Shakespeare), if anyone wants to tell me about any Very Special Episodes of TV shows that dealt with DADT, let me know. Cause so far it seems like something that never really made its way into military-related popular culture for whatever reason. Guess people didn't really want to think about queer people in the military or something. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Infamous Sphere posted:

Hey, remember Don't Ask Don't Tell? Turns out for whatever reason, there aren't many movies about it. But I reviewed one of them, and it's essentially Top Gun. Just......gayer. And cheaper. BURNING BLUE!

BTW while I found a few movies about DADT (which are all bullshit movies that nobody has ever seen - one of them is a version of Romeo and Juliet set in an all-male military school, that I tried to watch but couldn't get through because I'm a clod who never studied and doesn't understand Shakespeare), if anyone wants to tell me about any Very Special Episodes of TV shows that dealt with DADT, let me know. Cause so far it seems like something that never really made its way into military-related popular culture for whatever reason. Guess people didn't really want to think about queer people in the military or something. Huh.

In fairness, by the time mass popular culture started actually openly talking about gay people in more than blanket stereotypes, one-liners, or coded symbolism we had made such a mess in the Middle East it and terrorism dominated pretty much every depiction vaguely related to the US military. And any piece set in a historical period before the whole Iraq quagmire is before the policy started because the US didn't really do any military action during the mid-late 90s that penetrated our culture the way Viet Nam, Iraq, WW2, or the Cold War did.

• Locked thread