Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah that all looks pretty good. That amp should do quiet pretty well since it has a 1 watt mode. It's not headphones but it should be much more quiet than the full power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nothing here worries me, personal taste would have led me down very slightly different paths but absolutely on the theme you have there. Good stuff!

Get a tuner next. Polytune 2 by TC Electronic is my fav

americong
May 29, 2013

I made sure to get some picks, and I'll get some extra strings when I've found myself a chance

I shooould be OK to tune from pitch, hopefully those years playing trumpet weren't for nothing

What I'd really like is a nice clear loud met

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Where do you live? I wouldn't mind sending you a few sets of strings to try out so you can see what you like.

americong
May 29, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Where do you live? I wouldn't mind sending you a few sets of strings to try out so you can see what you like.

austin, tx - that would be super rad of you

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

americong posted:

austin, tx - that would be super rad of you

Gotcha :)

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 10, 2016

americong
May 29, 2013

sent

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

um. so you know how les pauls aren't the most comfortable guitar and are super heavy and all that bad stuff? And you know how I recently got an Explorer? Well you know... I think I might prefer the shorter scale length. Like, my fingers actually can easily do pull offs from the 7th to the 12th fret. This is a catastrophe!!! So many guitars were simply not plausible because I 'preferred Strats' and now it's all fallen down around my ears.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Can anyone recommend any YouTube lessons to play similar to this gentleman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXS24JVoDpw

Dude fuckin' rips. I have this guitar and I want to do it justice.

He was asked about his style in the comments and he replied:

quote:

Thank you very much! I don't do a particularly good job in describing my methods. I play by ear, so I don't really "know" the different methods. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music and draw influences from different genres. I mainly play in a country vein though, so I do a lot of chicken picking & flat picking licks..There are tons of youtube clips of players like Brent Mason, Steve Wariner, Johnny Hiland, Marty Stuart Tony Rice, James Burton, and lots of others playing that style too

I've searched for all of those guitarists, but didn't find anything helpful. I'm hoping someone here has some solid recommendations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Brent Hinds from Mastodon has a band called Fiend Without a Face you might enjoy. I love their sound.

https://youtu.be/50XEjgLyV8U

Also this

https://youtu.be/Ni8KBhnebwE

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ProperCoochie posted:

Can anyone recommend any YouTube lessons to play similar to this gentleman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXS24JVoDpw

Dude fuckin' rips. I have this guitar and I want to do it justice.

He was asked about his style in the comments and he replied:

I've searched for all of those guitarists, but didn't find anything helpful. I'm hoping someone here has some solid recommendations.

Johnny Hiland is the king of this stuff imo and luckily the dude loves to make tutorial videos, you may find something by him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIog3HBUEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNww-VBqBa4

Edit: I just read that quote and you mention johnny Hiland was not so helpful, oops sorry!

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 11, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

um. so you know how les pauls aren't the most comfortable guitar and are super heavy and all that bad stuff? And you know how I recently got an Explorer? Well you know... I think I might prefer the shorter scale length. Like, my fingers actually can easily do pull offs from the 7th to the 12th fret. This is a catastrophe!!! So many guitars were simply not plausible because I 'preferred Strats' and now it's all fallen down around my ears.

There are other options like Jaguars and Mustangs etc, also PRS are a scale length between Fender and Gibson, so that could be a goer as well :)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ProperCoochie posted:

it's a lot of travis and chicken picking, some piedmont blues licks played real fast, and jerry reed-style banjo rolls

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

peter gabriel posted:

There are other options like Jaguars and Mustangs etc, also PRS are a scale length between Fender and Gibson, so that could be a goer as well :)

Also Danos! 25" is the king of scale lengths.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Baron von Eevl posted:

You fuckers aren't helping >=/ I cannot get another guitar, if one comes in, the other has go to - the only possible movement I can see is swapping my crazy-good MIJ '85 Strat for another '85 and it'd have to be some serious poo poo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Baron von Eevl posted:

Whoa, I didn't know that and I love my PRS Soapbar, it's been sitting in a case though since I need to change the strings. That scale and the flat radius makes it a lot of fun to play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I guess I'm the weird one because all my guitars have different scale lengths but I really only ever play one guitar at a time and just rotate them depending on which ones have the newest strings and what guitar just feels right at that period of time, so the differences aren't really noticeable if you don't play two different ones back to back.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm like that, I think I'm now finally on all the same scale length, massively different radii mind. Also depends on tuning as i have two floaters and a fixed bridge

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 11, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Spanish Manlove posted:

I guess I'm the weird one because all my guitars have different scale lengths but I really only ever play one guitar at a time and just rotate them depending on which ones have the newest strings and what guitar just feels right at that period of time, so the differences aren't really noticeable if you don't play two different ones back to back.

Mine are all shorter scale but by accident, they are just the guitars I wanted and happen to all be shorter scale.
All that will change when I finish the jazzcaster build though, hopefully some time this century :v:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Spanish Manlove posted:

At work we've been responding to emails in the most obtuse ways possible in order to annoy our boss so I half assed made a spoken word track over some attempts at jazzy stuff to respond to someone using a rot13 cypher. Here's the instrumental version

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/instrumental-demo/s-ZepTb

I love this. That bass sound is killer :allears:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Brent Hinds from Mastodon has a band called Fiend Without a Face you might enjoy. I love their sound.

https://youtu.be/50XEjgLyV8U

Also this

https://youtu.be/Ni8KBhnebwE

I also love this.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

peter gabriel posted:

Mine are all shorter scale but by accident, they are just the guitars I wanted and happen to all be shorter scale.
All that will change when I finish the jazzcaster build though, hopefully some time this century :v:
I love my mustang but I always push the goddamn low E string off the top, I don't even play it anymore.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Remulak posted:

I love my mustang but I always push the goddamn low E string off the top, I don't even play it anymore.

I love mine too, I use it for the last two songs of the set. I've never had that happen though, is it when you bend?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

my guitars are basically all converging into being the same exact one

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Remulak posted:

Buy it a mastery bridge maybe?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fullroundaction posted:

I love this. That bass sound is killer :allears:

Thanks! I worked hard on getting the amp sim right in a metal environment (ampeg SVT-pro model into an orange 8x10 along with some other wizardry) but it's a surprising tone to get out of a squier five string with stock everything except for steel strings. So for "jazz" I just rolled off the tone knob and treble pickup a bit and tried to finger pick as soft as I could to avoid clanking noises.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Awesome! A bunch of mix engineers I follow on YouTube and blogs say their goto for more or less everything is usually a cheap Squier J bass they found on Craigslist or at a pawn shop or whatever. Not sure why I don't own one already (brb)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://reverb.com/item/3181170-ibanez-sdgr-bass-silver-used-s541

You literally can't do better than this right now unless you want a 5 string. That's a Japanese made bass. You're basically stealing it at this price

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Remember when Ibanez was doing those loving plastic liquid basses?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fullroundaction posted:

Awesome! A bunch of mix engineers I follow on YouTube and blogs say their goto for more or less everything is usually a cheap Squier J bass they found on Craigslist or at a pawn shop or whatever. Not sure why I don't own one already (brb)

I want to replace the pickups on it with a set that may have more even response across the strings because right now I can't stand how each string has such a different tone. However, for something I got for under $350 I'm incredibly happy with it, plays like a dream and sounds like a dump truck unloading a pile of punches.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Count me as one of the weird ones, too! I only have two guitars I play regularly, but one is 25 1/2" and the other is 26 3/8" (pretty much--670mm), and I sometimes switch back and forth on the same day. Actually, though, it's the different neck widths that I notice more--the difference is only a tiny bit more than 1/16" at the nut, but it means I have to be more precise when I'm trying to hit two strings with the tip of one finger.

Also since I don't think this has been linked in the thread yet, and it probably deserves to be, here's a dude tearing it up on three strings and a shovel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g.

Pyrthas fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 12, 2016

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Lmao the harmonic at the end is the biggest "gently caress you and your gear " slap in the face.

americong
May 29, 2013

My guitar came in!!!

Still no amp, but I've got it tuned up and I'm hacking around with some basic chords.

I'll start looking through the OP learning material, anyone have a favorite site at all?

I have a sneaking suspicion that what I really ought to do is get a teacher.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah that attitude is really stupid. Slipknot plays telecasters and jazzmasters, Tim Armstrong (Op Ivy/Rancid) plays Gretsch hollowbodies, Albert King played a flying V, etc. If you can play, no one will give a poo poo about what you played it on.

I can't find anyone playing country on a Warlock though ...

Alabama's Jeff Cook is almost exclusively seen with a Parker Fly these days

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

americong posted:

My guitar came in!!!

Still no amp, but I've got it tuned up and I'm hacking around with some basic chords.

I'll start looking through the OP learning material, anyone have a favorite site at all?

I have a sneaking suspicion that what I really ought to do is get a teacher.

I think JustinGuitar is universally loved.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Pyrthas posted:

Also since I don't think this has been linked in the thread yet, and it probably deserves to be, here's a dude tearing it up on three strings and a shovel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g.

Justin Johnson is pretty goddamn legit. Really involved in the cigar box guitar scene and just wonderfully friendly to folks making low-tech/roots instrument. Got him to play one of the CBGs my buddy and I built at a festival once, and he gave some great advice on playability.

Anybody else doing homebrew instruments/amps/effects here? Half tempted to start up a thread here or in DIY for the stuff I've picked up from various sources over the years building - it's a great rabbit hole to fall down, and you get a much better understanding of how all the little things affect sound and tweaks you can make to misbehaving gear.

Just finished breadboarding a micro tube amp for headphone practice - kind of an impractical bit of gear given the weird tubes involved, but I ended up with about a dozen 12k5 tubes from a rummage sale and wanted to build a hybrid amp that uses them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hedningen posted:

Anybody else doing homebrew instruments/amps/effects here? Half tempted to start up a thread here or in DIY for the stuff I've picked up from various sources over the years building - it's a great rabbit hole to fall down, and you get a much better understanding of how all the little things affect sound and tweaks you can make to misbehaving gear.

Just finished breadboarding a micro tube amp for headphone practice - kind of an impractical bit of gear given the weird tubes involved, but I ended up with about a dozen 12k5 tubes from a rummage sale and wanted to build a hybrid amp that uses them.

I'm building some kits and simple electronic stuff. Doing a tube amp is my eventual long term goal, but I'm far from capable enough just yet.

I just finished my fretless bass kit the other day (pics in the bass thread). I've also got a telecaster going on and a les paul kit arriving soon.

For electronics, I've built a gated bass fuzz pedal (plans from tagboardeffects.blogspot.com) which sounds OK but isn't quite right, and a tiny single-knob 9v battery powered 1w solid state amplifier which I built first by just got aroudn to putting into a tiny box with a tiny speaker so I can jam out terribly with my acoustic-playing friend.

A couple months ago I had no idea that I'd be able to do any of this, but most of it is actually not too hard if you're prepared to read a lot and take time and care doing things. A DIY instrument/electronics thread would be a fantastic resource, but my skills and knowledge still feel far to meager for me to start one. I'd love to hear about your amp.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

shame on an IGA posted:

Alabama's Jeff Cook is almost exclusively seen with a Parker Fly these days

joni mitchell of all people is probably their most famous endorsee

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hedningen posted:

Justin Johnson is pretty goddamn legit. Really involved in the cigar box guitar scene and just wonderfully friendly to folks making low-tech/roots instrument. Got him to play one of the CBGs my buddy and I built at a festival once, and he gave some great advice on playability.

I do full scratch builds of guitars and effects, I don't really have a shop space right now so I haven't built anything in awhile. I have a couple of finished bodies and necks I need to get electronics for and finish some day soon.
Effects I tend to build the weirder stuff since sometimes it's just cheaper to buy something already built than source components, hardware, paont it and all that.
Favorite couple of builds are the Tim Escobedo ugly face and any of the 4ms/commonsound circuits.
If you start up a thread I'll post nonstop.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
During my extended power outtages (thanks Hurricane) I was drunkenly trying to remember how to play some Silverchair jams from high school, and stumbled back onto a chord that Daniel Johns used a lot on the first two albums. Was curious if there was a common name for it ... it's basically a double power chord?

code:
e--------
B--------
G--5--7--
D--5--7--
A--3--5--
E--3--5--
etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's just a power chord with the fifth in the bass. I guess you could call it an inverted power chord. I use them a lot when I'm vamping on a fifth string chord and I want to give it a little more beef a few beats in.