Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Instead of Velstadt it should have been a large skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

skasion posted:

Velstadt & Elana works along the same lines as Ornstein and Smough, the key is to always be looking at both of them, preferably lining them up. Doesn't work as well however since Elana doesn't need to be able to path around Velstadt to hit you. Given how hilariously easy her other summons are by comparison, I can see why people scum it. Elana is a reasonably tough enemy, I can't immediately think of a caster boss in the series that is much harder. Velstadt by himself isn't very hard and any character that can beat Elana can focus clone Velstadt down in a couple of stamina bars, but he's easily distracting enough for you to roll into a flame swathe.

the ornster can hit you just fine through smough, as i know to my cost :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Instead of Velstadt it should have been a large skeleton

It should have been Artorias :getin:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

the ornster can hit you just fine through smough, as i know to my cost :negative:
Just beat them on Sunday after quite a time of not having done so. Ornstein for sure can hit you from wherever, he has crazy range on that spear. Funniest moment in my attempts was when he got stuck behind Smough's rear end in his charging pose for at least ten seconds while Smough was getting stuck on a pillar himself, then Ornstein finally got free, continued charging towards me, who was hiding behind a pillar, then glid around the pillar in a completely impossible path to hit me. I was laughing too hard to care.

Anyway, those pillars are absolute lifesavers and I cannot imagine doing the two without kiting them around that. Elana kinda misses that advantage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Elana isn't a reskin or palette swap in any way. The basic concept of "darkness lady with big skirt" is vaguely similar to Nashandra but she doesn't really look much alike. Missing the gigantic power shoulders for one thing. And Nashandra's design is very influenced by Giger, with all the skeleton bits and generally glossy look. That doesn't really come across with Elana.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's strange that she summons Velstadt of all things though. Why him?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress knows. Dead end of the Velstadt/Raime subplot or creatively lazy devs? You be the judge.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Just beat them on Sunday after quite a time of not having done so. Ornstein for sure can hit you from wherever, he has crazy range on that spear. Funniest moment in my attempts was when he got stuck behind Smough's rear end in his charging pose for at least ten seconds while Smough was getting stuck on a pillar himself, then Ornstein finally got free, continued charging towards me, who was hiding behind a pillar, then glid around the pillar in a completely impossible path to hit me. I was laughing too hard to care.

Anyway, those pillars are absolute lifesavers and I cannot imagine doing the two without kiting them around that. Elana kinda misses that advantage.

i don't know if i just have the worst luck, but ornstein would do his impossible sidewinder charges pretty much without fail if i ever tried to use the pillars against him.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It should have been Artorias :getin:

oh man just imagine the field day vaati would have with that

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

It's strange that she summons Velstadt of all things though. Why him?
Because he's dead, and she's a necromancer.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NGDBSS posted:

Because he's dead, and she's a necromancer.

Can't you get into the DLC before you kill him?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Can't you get into the DLC before you kill him?
Yes. But allow me to explain, since I was probably being too laconic for my own good. Velstadt is "dead" but still animated in the same sense as Gravelord Nito or Grave Warden Agdayne, if you check the description on his hammer.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

big V is manageable as long as you keep both him and elana in sight at the same time. this is generally doable, since she likes to hang back and he runs straight at you. bait him into attacking, back away out of his reach and move in to counter. this lets you keep elana in view so you can see her projectiles coming. if she's decently far away and starts teleporting, assume she's going to appear in melee range and pre-emptively move away from an incoming axe swing - you'll probably need to dodge through a velstadt attack as part of this, so make sure to keep some stamina in reserve for an emergency roll. if you do get turned around and lose sight of elana, remember that all of her spells are accompanied by a sound cue.

all goons who suggest rng-scumming to avoid velstadt should be ashamed of they selves.

I think the biggest thing throwing me off was those delayed explodey bits she kept summoning around me. Once I stopped rolling into them, I finally managed to beat her with the help of a sunbro (after a million trips to shrine of Amana :negative:)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Welp, I destroyed Fume Knight on my first try with a whitebro and Steelheart Ellie, with one totem still intact (didn't even know there would be more than 6).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am at the undead crypt. I have all three dlcs open and a bonfire to each. At what point should I do them? After finishing the undead crypt? Also got a new katana (maneater?) Is that any good?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I dip into the DLCs when I get them just to grab a bonfire but don't dive in until I'm closer to the endgame.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Poison manslayer is alright. All the katanas are at least decent in DS2 but Manslayer is overshadowed for damage by chaos blade, which you can get earlier and is one of the best weapons in the game.

e: if you're at the crypt you're pretty much ready to go clear the DLC.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Just beat Aldia. Only the three dlc areas left. I'm thinking of trying a new weapon for it. Any suggestions? I've used a long sword, curved greatsword, katana, and bare fist so far

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Maces or Demon Great Hammer?

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
halberds are a lot of fun, imo.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Power stanced curved swords. For sure.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there a Cheat Sheet for DS2 similar to this one for DS3? http://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/#Smouldering_Lake

I only ask because I don't want to miss anything going through the game, and this guide doesn't spoil any enemies or ambushes but makes sure you don't miss any side quests.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can check wikidot. It has pretty detailed walkthroughs with both DS2 and SOTFS specific look.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/areas

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
It's literally linked in the FAQ for the DS3 cheat sheet: http://smcnabb.github.io/dark-souls-2-cheat-sheet/

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Samopsa posted:

It's literally linked in the FAQ for the DS3 cheat sheet: http://smcnabb.github.io/dark-souls-2-cheat-sheet/

Haha poo poo completely missed that. Thanks!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RC Cola posted:

Just beat Aldia. Only the three dlc areas left. I'm thinking of trying a new weapon for it. Any suggestions? I've used a long sword, curved greatsword, katana, and bare fist so far

use the dragon tooth

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
so if I fail to kill the Ancient Dragon the first time will I have every dragon knight aggro on me or do they still just stand there and bow

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

so if I fail to kill the Ancient Dragon the first time will I have every dragon knight aggro on me or do they still just stand there and bow

the triggers for aggroing the dragon knights are 1) attacking them, 2) running past a drake keeper or 3) summoning anyone. they don't care if you attack the ancient dragon.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Should I stay at a low equipment load which is around 25%? Playing through the single player again pretty much naked and not sure if armor would help. Also haven't really used any of the heavier weapons even though I got like 30 STR/18DEX. Just using the Heide Sword and Dragon Ride Bow so far to pretty good results. (Iron Keep is making me doubt myself)(Also I don't look cool)

poe meater fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 23, 2016

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Should I stay at a low equipment load which is around 25%? Playing through the single player again pretty much naked and not sure if armor would help. Also haven't really used any of the heavier weapons even though I got like 30 STR/18DEX. Just using the Heide Sword and Dragon Ride Bow so far to pretty good results. (Iron Keep is making me doubt myself)
You don't have to necessarily, probably depends on how much you roll and how good you are at it. IIRC equipment load only really becomes a problem when you start doing the "fat roll" rather than just a slower roll

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Are there any more smelter wedges in Brume tower or are there only the six you get at the very beginning? I've just had my best Fume Knight attempt yet ruined by him healing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flython posted:

Are there any more smelter wedges in Brume tower or are there only the six you get at the very beginning? I've just had my best Fume Knight attempt yet ruined by him healing.

There's enough wedges to kill every idol, but one is only available after Fume Knight. keep exploring and prioritise destroying the idols around the boss arena

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

(Also I don't look cool)

this is deffo your biggest problem. if you don't want to spend time fashion souling it up, the alva set looks good without being unreasonably heavy.

i'm not a huge fan of using the heide sword on a character who doesn't pump faith. there are tons of good strength options available to you (craftsman's hammer, claymore, bandit axe, the list goes on).

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

multijoe posted:

There's enough wedges to kill every idol, but one is only available after Fume Knight. keep exploring and prioritise destroying the idols around the boss arena

Took him down with the 2 still up in the end. Hardest fight in the game so far, thank god for his spray attack and the two guaranteed hits it allowed. I hope the other DLC bosses are as much of a challenge as he was.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

halberds are a lot of fun, imo.

What's a fun halberd? I didn't explore too thoroughly my first time through so I don't even think I have one

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
oh good then youll love the last DLC

THE DANIELNATOR posted:

Should I stay at a low equipment load which is around 25%? Playing through the single player again pretty much naked and not sure if armor would help. Also haven't really used any of the heavier weapons even though I got like 30 STR/18DEX. Just using the Heide Sword and Dragon Ride Bow so far to pretty good results. (Iron Keep is making me doubt myself)(Also I don't look cool)

Personally i prefer to be at 50% equip load. The roll distance starts to drastically reduce after 50%. 30% is fun since your roll distance is so long but there arent many situations where its really nececary.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just need a quick stat guide for a Hexer, as in how far to take each stat, and what merchants to look out for.

Also how do most players space out the DLC, given that they're supposed to be the best levels in the series? And just why are the keys guarded by such bullshit like the Elite Giants and the Fire Salamanders?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Because if you can't handle giants and salamanders, you're not ready for the DLC.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I just need a quick stat guide for a Hexer, as in how far to take each stat, and what merchants to look out for.

Also how do most players space out the DLC, given that they're supposed to be the best levels in the series? And just why are the keys guarded by such bullshit like the Elite Giants and the Fire Salamanders?

Cleric starting class, int/faith to 30. If you want to use crypt black sword then 40 STR too. My preferred hex build was crypt black sword with a dark longsword and sunset staff on the off hand. Of course the longsword was mostly for pvp so its not nececary for PVE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Whoever decided that putting a dozen Alonne knights between a boss and the nearest bonfire TWICE should be thrown into the sun. Boss runs should be a few seconds long, they shouldn't be longer and more irritating than the boss himself.