Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

ROFL Octopus posted:

Every lawyer in the series was nervous during their first couple of cases (except of course Edgeworth, but he pretty much had every emotion beaten out of him). It's just every case she's defending in she has a nervous breakdown, and honestly I think she's a cool character and who deserves a little better. :smith:

I actually think it was a nice bit of character development to have her NOT suffer one in this case, despite all the odds against her and her abilities straight up being preyed on. She is still a rookie with a whole host of emotional disabilities that didn't magically go away at the end of Dual Destinies, but despite having no prep time or info at all she really managed to hold herself together. Having Big Brother Simon there to help when she gets a bit wobbly was nice, too.

I also think the case itself has a really cool rakugo/one-act play vibe. It's a good case and Athena is realistically nervous when you consider her story and the series is setting up for her to play a major role in the next game.

So yeah, I both agree AND think case 4 owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blackquill just owns in general. Between him just straight up loving off during Hugh's testimony in 5-3 and all his shenanigans in 6-4, need more of him in my life and I'm hoping against all hope that he isn't retired like any non-Edgeworth prosecutor.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't worry, he'll definitely be back as the victim in 7-5.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Terper posted:

Don't worry, he'll definitely be back as the victim in 7-5.

Yeah, what Athena really needs in order to grow more independent is for her mentor to die, and come back as a ghost. I'm sure it will make her PTSD disappear, as well. :thumbsup:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The only victim I can think of who appeared in another game first is Misty and even that's stretching it. Hell someone appearing in another case first and being the victim/killer is really really rare so gently caress your and your negativity. :mad:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And More posted:

Yeah, what Athena really needs in order to grow more independent is for her mentor to die, and come back as a ghost. I'm sure it will make her PTSD disappear, as well. :thumbsup:

I mean, it worked in SoJ :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DLC has a big contender for one of the best testimony titles with Nick is a jerk face!

Edit: I JUST LISTENED TO THE ACTUAL TESTIMONY. LARRY.

E2: HEY NO! PURSUIT IS MY THING, YOU CAN'T HAVE A PURSUIT LARRY

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 11, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ROFL Octopus posted:

Blackquill just owns in general. Between him just straight up loving off during Hugh's testimony in 5-3 and all his shenanigans in 6-4, need more of him in my life and I'm hoping against all hope that he isn't retired like any non-Edgeworth prosecutor.

Speaking of Edgeworth, they really need to lay the hell of him. At this point he's been in more games than Nick, and he felt kind of shoved in when he showed up in 6-5. I really don't like the way the writers feel obligated to have him keep showing up. He and Phoenix are not joined at the hip, they have their own lives.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

With the talk of time travel and the general steampunk aesthetic of a lot of things in the DLC, I would love for Nick to reference Layton so the player's like "Wait, IS it canon?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Speaking of Edgeworth, they really need to lay the hell of him. At this point he's been in more games than Nick, and he felt kind of shoved in when he showed up in 6-5. I really don't like the way the writers feel obligated to have him keep showing up. He and Phoenix are not joined at the hip, they have their own lives.

He's the most popular character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nate RFB posted:

Though Route is super cool, but I will say that I felt like it was a bit more satisfying in DD. Always seemed to put a great exclamation point on whatever mystery was at hand. Probably one of the only things I liked more in that game over SoJ to go along with Blackquill being so much better an antagonist than Nahyuta.

It had a better visual in DD.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://www.facebook.com/capcomunity/photos/a.40940424959.17792.6938264959/10150678495914960/?type=3

quote:

Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice coming to iOS and Android devices this winter. Sign up with the link below for special offers and to be one of the first to be notified when the game is available for iOS and Android

Guess you'll be able to play AA4 soon without having to find an old DS copy. Let's hope it's a better port than the Trilogy was. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It'd be nice to have it on 3DS so I could theoretically have the entire main series on one system.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't wait for a new generation of Ace Attorney fans who only played the original trilogy on their phones to get burned by the worst game in the series.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's better than AAI1.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's better than AAI1.

AAI1 is good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

AAI1 is good

There's not a single case I like.

Edit: Though to be fair there's not many I dislike either. It's just really boring.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love the gameplay of Investigations.

https://twitter.com/CourtRecords_/status/786015474144292864

Whoa, I like this!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
AAI is good and also AA4 is good

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Danaru posted:

AAI is good and also AA4 is good

Ace Attorney is good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's better than AAI1.

Nah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
AA4 is legit the best game in the series to start on and one of 3 that actually realized how important the first case is for hooking people and made a good one

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

AA4 is legit the best game in the series to start on and one of 3 that actually realized how important the first case is for hooking people and made a good one

I just wish it realised that to leave the players with a good impression it needs to finish with a good case as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Machete order of Ace Attorney is 4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Waffleman_ posted:

DLC has a big contender for one of the best testimony titles with Nick is a jerk face!

Edit: I JUST LISTENED TO THE ACTUAL TESTIMONY. LARRY.

E2: HEY NO! PURSUIT IS MY THING, YOU CAN'T HAVE A PURSUIT LARRY

How soon we forget The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

How soon we forget The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright.

I said it was ONE of the best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

AA4 is legit the best game in the series to start on

Not even a little bit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

4 has lots of bad things but at least it's interesting and ambitious in some ways too, compared to the endless bland of AAI

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
....Except for the song video. Good grief, the song video.

It shares worst-case-3 spot with AA2, fpr me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jetamo posted:

....Except for the song video. Good grief, the song video.

It shares worst-case-3 spot with AA2, fpr me.

oh i thought you said AAI-2 and I was gonna get really mad

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

AAI2-3 could legit pass for a final case, what with the narrative switching back and forth between Miles and Gregory. Truly the Godfather II of the series.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

It really could. Hell, the villain of Case 4 also felt like they would have been the final boss of any other AA game

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Chieves posted:

AAI2-3 could legit pass for a final case, what with the narrative switching back and forth between Miles and Gregory. Truly the Godfather II of the series.

P much any case from AAI2 could pass for a final case. If nothing else I know they designed the first case to feel like a finale.

Regy Rusty posted:

AAI1 is good

It's not terrible and objecting is always fun but I'd take the bullshit of 4-3 before extraterritorial rights.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Not even a little bit.

Name me a better first case.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Name me a better first case.

Name me a worse final case.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Name me a worse final case.

As previously stated I-5

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sea Sponge Run posted:

As previously stated I-5

How dare you.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sea Sponge Run posted:

As previously stated I-5

It's certainly very difficult to choose between them.

I think I-5 might be a bit better just because Yew is a cool bad guy and I like the confrontation with Shih Na. Too bad it doesn't end with that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AAI-5 is so much better than 4-4 it's not even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I-5 has Alba and the part where Larry argues for his own conviction for no reason at all.

I mean, it's still better than a final trial of 2 testimonies but the confrontation with Alba and the random Mask de Masque 2 subplot really sours me on it. Even if the Yatagarasu thing with Badd and Yew is actually pretty decent.