Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Highblood posted:

I've been procrastinating a ton at work by playing sproggiwood on my phone. Played on the hardest difficulty from the start and its been great.

Now someone tell me how to kill ghostly wisps because I don't get it.

Hakkipunki is kind of annoying, isn't it? My best runs (in terms of progression into the dungeon) have been with the thief, just trying to ghost past as much of each level as possible. But I haven't managed to clear it yet.

In general, the "twinned" enemies, with the line connecting them, have to be killed simultaneously or else they'll revive. Which means you need some kind of AoE effect if you want to kill them. But you may be best off just avoiding them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
IIRC the wisps also steal HP with their attacks and will do so when they're adjacent, even to the point where you have dropped their HP past 0. If it puts them above 0, they remain alive. Nail them at range.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh, I am reminded: Sproggiwood bug report! The "you will do this much damage" indicator is busted for vampiric mushrooms and makes it look like you'll always one-shot them. Playing iOS, most recently noticed with a thief.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Streets of Rogue Alpha 13 is out now. Featuring Twitch Integration and drug-addicted investment bankers.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Getting to the download link for streets of rogue is a huge pain and dumb as hell. Please don't do this.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Highblood posted:

Getting to the download link for streets of rogue is a huge pain and dumb as hell. Please don't do this.

Really? https://madguy.itch.io/streets-of-rogue ?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

That isn't linked from the game's homepage. The only download link there requires signing up to a mailing list before you can get at it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That isn't linked from the game's homepage. The only download link there requires signing up to a mailing list before you can get at it.

I just googled Streets of Rogue and that showed up. :shrug:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I started a new game in The Binding of Isaac three days ago and since then I've slept about 5 hours total, gotta keep chasing the dragon

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that doesnt sound healthy

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's fine, berserk creates are immune to sleep.

Punkreas
May 13, 2013

*chews on head*
Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If I recall correctly, there's a link straight to the latest build from the main menu of the game itself if you're just grabbing the latest and greatest.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Just had a Streets of Rogue run where I ended up with the skeleton key, the multi-use safecracker, an accurized silenced machine gun, a food processor and an ammo processor. I have never before been so sad that the demo ends at 2-3. :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Benly posted:

Just had a Streets of Rogue run where I ended up with the skeleton key, the multi-use safecracker, an accurized silenced machine gun, a food processor and an ammo processor. I have never before been so sad that the demo ends at 2-3. :(

Congratulations, you ascended!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Unormal, you sadistic son of a bitch!

I'm about done trying to do a no-purchased-items run on Savage. Having 80% faster experience, 60% more shrines, etc. only goes so far. As of the Ghostfen, it feels like the levels are heavily luck-dependent in that you need to get a layout where you can carefully pull and deal with enemies in small numbers, or else you very quickly get overwhelmed.

Or of course, sometimes you start out overwhelmed. :mad:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is that how you loaded in? lol

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I blame hand of luke.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

is that how you loaded in? lol

Opened the game, selected Ghostfen, selected archer, level loaded, :catstare:, screenshot, angry post. Note I'm level 1 with 0 experience.

Unormal posted:

I blame hand of luke.

So you're saying you don't want credit for this amazing[ly awful] turn of events?

Probably wise. handofluke, you sadistic son of a bitch!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Opened the game, selected Ghostfen, selected archer, level loaded, :catstare:, screenshot, angry post. Note I'm level 1 with 0 experience.

So you're saying you don't want credit for this amazing[ly awful] turn of events?

Probably wise. handofluke, you sadistic son of a bitch!

Yeah, while I would like to take credit for such horrors he and Maelephant did most of the Sproggiwood Savage tuning.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The dopey quasi-smile on the Archer really sells it.

"Well."

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

I'm about done trying to do a no-purchased-items run on Savage. Having 80% faster experience, 60% more shrines, etc. only goes so far. As of the Ghostfen, it feels like the levels are heavily luck-dependent in that you need to get a layout where you can carefully pull and deal with enemies in small numbers, or else you very quickly get overwhelmed.

Or of course, sometimes you start out overwhelmed. :mad:

:stonk:

Goddamn is this what I'm looking forward to? Hand of Luke you sadistic son of a bitch.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I gave up on not buying items (still bought town upgrades) by the third Ghostfen level on my blind Savage playthrough, because I have no clue how you are expected to beat that wisp boss without a lot of luck if you don't have at least a starting healing potion to hang onto.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have done a lot of work on my Final Fantasy rogue-like over the weekend, Final Fantasy R!

It's not so much of a broken disaster any more, and there is a bunch more content and cool stuff like battle animations. I have added an aura system, so monsters give each other different kinds of bonuses (making every battle challenging and unique!). I find it pretty fun. Mostly you can just kill monsters, gain levels and loot. All of the dungeons are infinite and randomly generated, you can just keep going down and they get harder as you go. There is no story or ending:

Final Fantasy R V1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jy5fzftoh35ijoz/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.2.rar

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Aura systems good

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Final Fantasy R V1.2

Psst. The word "Thief" is misspelled on the party selection screen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Maaaan.
Cogmind looks sooo loving good and I would be prepared to make it an exception to my "no buying unfinished games" rule but 25$ + VAT is a bit too pricey.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the Steam release, like a reasonable person.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Trades posted:

Psst. The word "Thief" is misspelled on the party selection screen.

That will not be the last spelling mistake you will find! I have been spoiled, and the dialog editor does not have spell check :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Thread consensus on Dungeon of the Endless? I guess it's randomly three bucks on Steam and I get wishlist emails when things dip to all-time low prices. So I liked the look of it enough to put it on my wishlist but I have no idea if that was motivated by good feedback or just a whim.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Thread consensus on Dungeon of the Endless? I guess it's randomly three bucks on Steam and I get wishlist emails when things dip to all-time low prices. So I liked the look of it enough to put it on my wishlist but I have no idea if that was motivated by good feedback or just a whim.

It's super fun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't really like dungeon of the endless a lot. The easy difficulty is trivial, while the hard difficulty can ruin you with bad RNG, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but the game is slow-paced enough that you can get an hour into a game before the RNG just ends it for you. For example, every time you activate a science crystal you get one of three choices for what to research, and it's not uncommon to go multiple floors without ever getting a decent attack turret. If that happens it doesn't matter how well you play, you just don't have enough raw damage to throw at enemies anymore, so you just lose, and you don't realize it until 5 floors in.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Pretty good but it's not really a rogue-like. More of a tower defense game. :v:

You get to juggle a bunch of resources and rooms around to efficiently research and level your dudes fighting off waves of monsters that show up the next time you open up a door to the unknown. Once you find the next elevator, you can choose to move the crystal you've been protecting while those monsters infinitely spawn or stick around until the entire level is mapped. Surprisingly in-depth. Plot happens in the descriptions, hero's dialog with each other and during the elevator ride to the next level.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I stopped enjoying Dungeon of the Endless when it became apparent the game expected you to have a super optimized team in a randomized game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mzbundifund posted:

The easy difficulty is trivial, while the hard difficulty can ruin you with bad RNG, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but the game is slow-paced enough that you can get an hour into a game before the RNG just ends it for you.

Unormal posted:

It's super fun.

this feels somehow familiar

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I like DotE a lot, but I usually play multiplayer with a friend. It's a different experience, because you have less to control, but can't pause the game.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I read your book!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

I read your book!

I... didn't write a book... I mean I don't remember writing a book... :tinfoil:

... unless you mean that one chapter.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mzbundifund posted:

The easy difficulty is trivial
this was not my experience

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awesome! posted:

this was not my experience

I died the second time enemies spawned

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Rutibex posted:

I have done a lot of work on my Final Fantasy rogue-like over the weekend, Final Fantasy R!

It's not so much of a broken disaster any more, and there is a bunch more content and cool stuff like battle animations. I have added an aura system, so monsters give each other different kinds of bonuses (making every battle challenging and unique!). I find it pretty fun. Mostly you can just kill monsters, gain levels and loot. All of the dungeons are infinite and randomly generated, you can just keep going down and they get harder as you go. There is no story or ending:

Final Fantasy R V1.2
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jy5fzftoh35ijoz/Final+Fantasy+R+V1.2.rar

i used a smoke bomb in a fight where the run command was greyed out and it softlocked in that the party escaped and it started playing the dungeon music but the battle screen never went away

also dungeons had a lot of random locked doors and stuff in the middle of the hallway, idk if that matters though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I died the second time enemies spawned

You made it THAT far? AWESOME!