Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If you want a Pax game where the rules were written by a sane person get Pax Pamir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Played Terraforming Mars a couple times now with 2, really nice engine builder. I feel like maybe it lacks a little depth but haven't yet played the expansion cards yet which are supposed to do just that, and despite that it's just fun improving your production and playing the board. The different corporations and sheer number of cards also make for a lot of variability and scores have been surprisingly close both times despite us using very different strategies.

Also any thoughts on Forbidden Stars? I've only been so-so on most FFG games in the past, like Battlelore 2e I found to have too much luck and GoT to be a little too simple for how long it is. From what I've seen it looks like FS uses some dice in combat but the cards play a bigger role and give you ways to mitigate the dice which sounds good.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Dice Game: King's Forge is pretty cool. I have the expansion but haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet. Also Roll Through The Ages is a fairly pleasant, quick dice game.

Mining Game: Far Space Foundry. Someone on here recommended it and I picked it up on a whim. It's a lot of fun, although slightly challenging to grasp on your first play-through.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

EBag posted:

Also any thoughts on Forbidden Stars? I've only been so-so on most FFG games in the past, like Battlelore 2e I found to have too much luck and GoT to be a little too simple for how long it is. From what I've seen it looks like FS uses some dice in combat but the cards play a bigger role and give you ways to mitigate the dice which sounds good.

It is the best game I have played all year. Dice are important but you're limited to 8 of them in each combat, and you only roll them once. The cards you play each round of combat are persistent till the end of that combat and are just as critical, if not more so, than your rolls.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

EBag posted:

Played Terraforming Mars a couple times now with 2, really nice engine builder. I feel like maybe it lacks a little depth but haven't yet played the expansion cards yet which are supposed to do just that, and despite that it's just fun improving your production and playing the board. The different corporations and sheer number of cards also make for a lot of variability and scores have been surprisingly close both times despite us using very different strategies.

I'm sure you know, but Forbidden Stars will be out if print forever in February, so if you think you'll ever want it, pick it up now albefore it doubles in price. I have no clue how it plays, but I have it waiting for me for that reason.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Yah admittedly that's part of the reason, but I also don't really have any dudes on a map style games at the moment and it's supposed to be good with 2 which is appealing.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

What's a good board game for 9-14 sober people?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

That's a pretty large group. Honestly, I'd be surprised if everyone fully tuned into a game at that level.

To actually answer your question, I'm pretty sure only 2 Rooms and a Boom actually accommodates the entire range of players.

bean mug
Nov 11, 2011

you think you can just say things to me?

The worst submarine posted:

Pretty good group size for Two Rooms and Boom, if you guys enjoy hidden role/deduction games.

Unfortunately with that big a group it's pretty much just gonna be party games you'll be looking at. Target has a pretty fun looking selection of party games, but I haven't played any of them really. :(

Edit: Once I went to a party where Red Dragon Inn was being played with a ton of people. I mean, they had like, all the expansions but you can pretty much play that game with any amount of people as long as you have enough characters. It was okay. Definitely a drinking party though so maybe that helped.

VV True facts.

bean mug fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 12, 2016

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Red Dragon Inn is a miserable experience and is basically just a sequel to Munchkin. I think Masquerade can handle that many people, and it's a decent game, but I'll admit I've never actually played it with more than 8.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Honestly, I'd recommend against Forbidden Stars. It's too long and complicated for its own good, and after a while I found myself dreading combat, because of the amount of downtime it generated. Really hard to get it to the table, too. Might work well if you have the right group for it, I guess.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Codenames

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Talisman comes with 11 in the base set. If you want to play 14 you will have to buy an expansion.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Forbidden Stars is my favourite game. My group gets it to the table a few times a month and playtime speeds up significantly - also combat is a great time to shop for upgrades. Lots of depth and variation to set up. It's a crying shame that it'll never get any expansions

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

One Night Ultimate Werewolf maybe, though I'm not sure how well 14 would work around the same table.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

3-4 games

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Shadow225 posted:

I consider that A Good Thing. The boxes are useless once you extract their contents.

I'm mostly just peeved that there was no rulebook for the new cards included. Even if it wasn't as nice as a full game's rulebook, I'd expect the card notes section on like regular printer paper folded into a pamphlet or something.
Anyway, that's why I decided to just rebuy the whole game instead! So my copies of 2nd Edition Dominion and Intrigue arrived today.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Krazyface posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend against Forbidden Stars. It's too long and complicated for its own good, and after a while I found myself dreading combat, because of the amount of downtime it generated. Really hard to get it to the table, too. Might work well if you have the right group for it, I guess.

IMO I think it does come down to the group. It takes a couple of games and some familiarity with the strengths and weaknesses (via upgrades) of each faction, plus you need people who are engaged when it's not their turn in order to pick upgrades quickly and know enough about their combat deck to know what is the right play when. If people are wandering off or not thinking ahead it slows down the game massively. If people know the game and are focused outside their turns it's relatively fast for its complexity, which is a huge draw for me compared to other similar weight games.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Big McHuge posted:

I think Masquerade can handle that many people, and it's a decent game, but I'll admit I've never actually played it with more than 8.

Masquerade can hold 13. We played it with 13 once, and never again - there's too much fuckery to ever really know who you are.

Rumda has the right of it, if your group goes above six it's time to split the group.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, having everything muted and dark makes for a really poor play experience when you have to stare at the board to read it.

I think a competent artist could make a night time board that is perfectly readable.

Rumda posted:

Please tell me the game sucks and not to pre-order it other wise my poor wallet will hate you.

I haven't done the research, but keep in mind that it is loosely inspired by the books, not really in-universe.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

theroachman posted:

I haven't done the research, but keep in mind that it is loosely inspired by the books, not really in-universe.

Yeah I got that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EBag posted:

Yah admittedly that's part of the reason, but I also don't really have any dudes on a map style games at the moment and it's supposed to be good with 2 which is appealing.

If you're primarily playing with 2 then go with Star Wars Rebellion.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Krazyface posted:

How many were you playing with? I hear downtime pretty bad with 4 but 3 is tolerable

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

If you're primarily playing with 2 then go with Star Wars Rebellion.

A friend of mine called Star Wars Rebellion a dressed up Scotland Yard, which I've already played plenty of, so I didn't get it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rebellion would be great if you cut the play time, table space, combat resolution, and cost in half

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not really a recommendation because I've never played it: Captain Sonar.
I want to try that game so badly :(

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

canyoneer posted:

Not really a recommendation because I've never played it: Captain Sonar.
I want to try that game so badly :(

Isn't that 4 stations for each of 2 teams?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

SilverMike posted:

Isn't that 4 stations for each of 2 teams?

You still need an even number of people, but you can merge some of the stations if people are good at multitasking. You could even run it 1v1 if you don't mind the game turning into an overwhelming mess.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

A friend of mine called Star Wars Rebellion a dressed up Scotland Yard, which I've already played plenty of, so I didn't get it.

That's certainly a facetious answer although it's literally a dressed up Freedom in the Galaxy.

Considering we're talking about FFG practically their entire library is "dressed up decades old game."

StashAugustine posted:

Rebellion would be great if you cut the play time, table space, combat resolution, and cost in half

*insert FFG game here*

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

jivjov posted:

I'm mostly just peeved that there was no rulebook for the new cards included. Even if it wasn't as nice as a full game's rulebook, I'd expect the card notes section on like regular printer paper folded into a pamphlet or something.
Anyway, that's why I decided to just rebuy the whole game instead! So my copies of 2nd Edition Dominion and Intrigue arrived today.

It's Dominion, the rules are printed right on the cards! If you understand that the card text is always performed in sequence from top to bottom, I don't think any of the new cards require further clarification. I wish I had the fancier base card art, but I wasn't going to rebuy the whole game just for that.

SilverMike posted:

One Night Ultimate Werewolf maybe, though I'm not sure how well 14 would work around the same table.

I brought ONUW (+Daybreak) in for a team-building work function that had that many people. It definitely requires a human moderator once you get that many players, and it becomes more of a party experience than a game of logical deduction, but it was a surprising hit. Several people have asked me to bring it in again. There's just something about bluffing and accusing your friends that a lot of people find fun.

Codenames is a better game for that size crowd, though, because people can easily drift in and out and there's no real advantage to having more or fewer players on your team.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Wits and Wagers plays well with large groups and you don't need to know any trivia to win.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Quixotic1 posted:

I can only afford one mining themed game in my library, so in my wisdom I arbitrarily beseech the goon hivemind to choose for me: Haspelknecht or Forged in Steel.

A game I haven't seen mentioned here before that I think is stellar is Magnum Sal.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Is Food Chain Magnate a good game for two players?

EBag
May 18, 2006

It's ok with 2, certainly playable, but is more fun with 3-4 as there's more competition and interaction which is really the highlight of the game.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
The only time I've played with 9+ people we did:

Two Rooms and a Boom, which is okay. I'm not a huge fan of that game but its not terrible.

Werewolf (not One Night) - i had a lot of fun but if you aren't drinking it will probably suck for whoever gets eliminated first, and the moderator needs to make sure to keep things moving to help eliminate that suckiness for the early eliminated.

Funemployed - I think the most we actually had for this was 8. It was definitely more people than what I'd want...but we still had a blast. 14 is entirely too many but if you have 9 you could probably make it work. It's my favorite of this genre of games though, so I'm a little biased.

For games I've played that may work with that group size:

Taboo - pretty fun and should work fine with lots of people, though you'd probably want to split into 3 or 4 teams. Each round is only around 60-90 seconds so there isn't a bunch of downtime even if you do split into more than 2 teams.

Codenames - already been explained plenty

Pictionary

I've never tried one, but aren't those murder mystery games supposed to be for groups around that size?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Big McHuge posted:

Red Dragon Inn is a miserable experience and is basically just a sequel to Munchkin.

I'm a pretty big RDI apologist, but even I will say that huge games of it just have too much downtime and attrition and take-that. 4 is best, 6 if you already know you like it, but beyond that it's just too much.

As for suggestions, I believe Telestrations takes up to 12 with the deluxe version. But yeah, pretty much no matter what you're stuck with trivia / party games with a few of exceptions. Break into groups if you want anything even remotely complex.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Panic on Wall Street is probably my favorite large group game, I think it supports up to 13. Which unfortunately isn't 14 but I mean c'mon.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Countblanc posted:

Panic on Wall Street is probably my favorite large group game, I think it supports up to 13. Which unfortunately isn't 14 but I mean c'mon.
Could always hand the one surplus player a deck of cards to play Solitaire for a bit.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Telestrations is a god-tier party game, but some people are so loving terrible at basic comprehension that inevitably when I play it with a bunch of newbies at least half of them will start drawing on the guessing pages and vice-versa. I....I don't even understand how that happens. We explain it, we clarify it, it's printed on the flipbooks, and still we seriously have it happen with new people almost every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yes! Telestrations is a wonderful game, but goddamn. The (simple, few) instructions are literally printed on the page but it always takes multiple explanations and reminders before people (kinda, sorta) get it.

I know different people learn differently but I just can't comprehend what is possibly so hard :psyduck: