Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
3v3 feels more honest to me, and whether that's good or bad is up to personal opinion. You can't get by on shenanigans and gimmicks quite as easily since more people means more possible checks, which also means fewer lopsided matchups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Countblanc posted:

3v3 feels more honest to me, and whether that's good or bad is up to personal opinion. You can't get by on shenanigans and gimmicks quite as easily since more people means more possible checks, which also means fewer lopsided matchups.

I think 3v3's the better mode as well, but the devs want to support 2v2 because they want to lower the barrier to entry as much as possible. The biggest issue with BLC was convincing anyone to actually start playing it. Having to have exactly 3 people or get yelled at by assholes wasn't really a strong selling point. 2s in BLC was a lot more gimmicky than 2s in Battlerite feels to me and the devs weren't trying to fix it at the time. It's important to have 2s stay as a good jumping in point if they really want to pull in people who are burnt out on the barrier to entry of MOBAs/WoW arena.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
2s is also wildly popular with newer or not very good players. It's also much easier to get 1 friend than 2. It's important to have a lot of people play the game to keep the kind of people who would play 3s playing the game. A game's player base and momentum are extremely important, and for a while it was the entire reason BLC was tanking. Until they added gems/amulets. That was a tank move in itself.

Also, I mostly play 2s at the moment because I haven't had much time to play and I suck. I definitely enjoy 3s though.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 12, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

2s is very good for learning the game as there's less going on and your decisions matter more, so it's easier to see where you made mistakes. I don't intend on playing 3s until I'm at least familar with every champ.

My only problem with the game right now is that all skins are recolors, so most epic items are a bit of a let down except for weapons.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Shifu seemed to get the extra special treatment for weapons, he has a bunch of cool stuff.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dracula Factory posted:

Bakko is really fun and good and his axe throw is the best feeling move in the game, but drat I can't get past his dumb facial hair decisions.

The facial hair is really, really not the problem, it's the nose ring that makes him look like he's constantly puckering up his lips

Nose rings have never, ever looked good on anyone in history

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Brannock posted:

The facial hair is really, really not the problem, it's the nose ring that makes him look like he's constantly puckering up his lips
Bakko looks so dumb I have not played him even once. I've played quite a few games with everyone else at this point.

Having actually played most of the heroes, I wish people used ex abilities and their r more especially on heroes with mediocre ults and absolutely insane ex abilities.

quote:

Nose rings have never, ever looked good on anyone in history
Looked alright on Alyssa Milano.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 12, 2016

DareToSlack
Aug 24, 2006
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.
I really want a really hard Dark Souls-esque single player and/or coop experience using Battlerite's gameplay.

If this does really well, I hope somebody makes it.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

DareToSlack posted:

I really want a really hard Dark Souls-esque single player and/or coop experience using Battlerite's gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzB2N9xnJk

strong bird fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 12, 2016

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

My only problem with the game right now is that all skins are recolors, so most epic items are a bit of a let down except for weapons.
They'll have to rethink the cosmetics if they want them to support the game. As is, skins are so uninteresting and chests are so plentiful that there's very little (or nothing) you'd want to spend actual money on and even if you want something you're gonna get it for free soon enough anyway.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Elukka posted:

They'll have to rethink the cosmetics if they want them to support the game. As is, skins are so uninteresting and chests are so plentiful that there's very little (or nothing) you'd want to spend actual money on and even if you want something you're gonna get it for free soon enough anyway.

I think this part will come later once they are out of early access.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

New hero preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqCydNGE2Y

Some sort of empowered arrow, blink and a root of some kind. Idk?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

M. Night Skymall posted:

I think the fact that the cooldown on heals scales based on the number of people on your team is pretty strong evidence that it isn't.

I don't believe that's the case though?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DareToSlack posted:

There's a difficult coop game named Forced on Steam that reminded me of BLC when it came out

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Bread Set Jettison posted:

New hero preview

I cant watch videos atm, is it that motherfucker on the loading screens? I hope so cause who the gently caress does he think he is?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah that's him, and they show him off by clowning on Rook. Like the poor guy isn't already the whipping boy

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bread Set Jettison posted:

New hero preview

So if he's based on Seeker (and already there's some divergence, with the bear trap and the incorporeal), the main gimmick was that Seeker's M1 would generate stacks of Seeker's Grace and at three stacks he would be able to cast one of several other abilities without triggering the cooldown (which made for some pretty hefty burst). His ultimate was basically a ranged version of Ranid's (Croak) and most of his abilities were elemental arrows that had various effects. It looks like they're replacing the elemental theme with a beast hunting one and it looks like at least one of his outs has changed (Seeker had a short ranged dash with a knockback and a trance that teleported him and made him invis, the new guy has some kind of incorporeal state). His ult could very well be the same however.

how me a frog posted:

I don't believe that's the case though?

No it's the case, M2 heals recharge faster the more allies are around. It goes a long way towards reducing the power of healers in 2's and especially in 1v1 situations.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

AttackBacon posted:

So if he's based on Seeker (and already there's some divergence, with the bear trap and the incorporeal), the main gimmick was that Seeker's M1 would generate stacks of Seeker's Grace and at three stacks he would be able to cast one of several other abilities without triggering the cooldown (which made for some pretty hefty burst). His ultimate was basically a ranged version of Ranid's (Croak) and most of his abilities were elemental arrows that had various effects. It looks like they're replacing the elemental theme with a beast hunting one and it looks like at least one of his outs has changed (Seeker had a short ranged dash with a knockback and a trance that teleported him and made him invis, the new guy has some kind of incorporeal state). His ult could very well be the same however.

No it's the case, M2 heals recharge faster the more allies are around. It goes a long way towards reducing the power of healers in 2's and especially in 1v1 situations.

No but he seemed to be saying that heals recharge slower in 3 vs 3 which seems to be demonstrably wrong, whereas I said many skills, and I was mostly thinking of heals, suggest that 3 vs 3 is the "true" Battlerite.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Has anyone else noticed an uptick in bm lately? I don't really solo queue so I haven't noticed since no one seems to talk in All Chat, but a lot of my other friends who do say it's gotten a lot worse the past few days or weekish.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

how me a frog posted:

No but he seemed to be saying that heals recharge slower in 3 vs 3 which seems to be demonstrably wrong, whereas I said many skills, and I was mostly thinking of heals, suggest that 3 vs 3 is the "true" Battlerite.
You definitely read that into it. I think what they meant was that healing scaling up with teammates hints towards them balancing healing around 2v2 and then adding the teammate scaling when it turned out to be underpowered for 3v3. They could just as easily have had cooldowns at their 3v3 values and then added that as a way to increase them for 2v2, though. Either way it's not particularly strong evidence.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also just not that important. Stunlock isn't running tournaments and doesn't seem to be handing down rulesets to tournament organizers. The community will decide which format it likes most and Stunlock will (presumably) respond to that, hopefully not in the form of tsk-tsking the "winner" and just doing whatever.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I've been watching some tournaments and in my opinion the 2vs2 ones have been much more enjoyable to watch. With 3vs3 there's just too much going on and even if you know the game it's hard to follow. There's a 2vs2 tournament going on and the caster is doing a great job of doing play-by-play and explaining what's going on, the combo's and keeping track of things like energy and cooldowns. In the 3vs3 tournament I saw (master of bacon) the casters weren't able to keep up with the action at all and ended up just talking about what went wrong in the previous round.

Plus, this 2v2s tournament has had way better hero diversity. The final (going on now) is Croak + Jade vs Shifu + Pearl, while one of the semi final's was Rook + Oldur vs Sirius + Pearl.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

HMS Boromir posted:

You definitely read that into it. I think what they meant was that healing scaling up with teammates hints towards them balancing healing around 2v2 and then adding the teammate scaling when it turned out to be underpowered for 3v3. They could just as easily have had cooldowns at their 3v3 values and then added that as a way to increase them for 2v2, though. Either way it's not particularly strong evidence.

The thing people miss about the heal cooldowns, is that they scale with the number of living allys. So not only does it help balance 2v2 vs 3v3, but it also helps tone down healers in end of round 1v1s. It's actually a really elagant balancing mechanism.

It gets even move obvious when you notice the only healer not limited by cooldowns is the one who explicitly can't target herself with her heals.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 14, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Walh Hara posted:

I've been watching some tournaments and in my opinion the 2vs2 ones have been much more enjoyable to watch. With 3vs3 there's just too much going on and even if you know the game it's hard to follow. There's a 2vs2 tournament going on and the caster is doing a great job of doing play-by-play and explaining what's going on, the combo's and keeping track of things like energy and cooldowns. In the 3vs3 tournament I saw (master of bacon) the casters weren't able to keep up with the action at all and ended up just talking about what went wrong in the previous round.

Plus, this 2v2s tournament has had way better hero diversity. The final (going on now) is Croak + Jade vs Shifu + Pearl, while one of the semi final's was Rook + Oldur vs Sirius + Pearl.
Can you link the vod for this? Or post channel name so I can check past broadcasts.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Khorne posted:

Can you link the vod for this? Or post channel name so I can check past broadcasts.

https://www.twitch.tv/mrbigruss/v/94903230
final starts around 1:50 (semi final around 1:30)

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I really like how they managed to balance it so a healer can be useful, but not required, I cant think of any other game thats like that, theres almost always a set number of healers in the meta of any game.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Have the developers made mention of any graphical updates? I assume that most of the old icons will end up getting replaced, since they're just copies of the BLC icons. Holding out hope that some of the champs get some rework, or if animations were a little more exaggerated/colorful so it's easier to tell what is going on.

TBH I really just miss Pear-Shaped-Glutton and Elephant-Nose-Inhibitor

EDIT: Also, does anyone else find it weird that you can't see enemy energy bars/heal counts? It's sort of a strange thing to obfuscate especially considering they're going for this "it's like a fighting game" deal.

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 14, 2016

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Waverhouse posted:

Have the developers made mention of any graphical updates? I assume that most of the old icons will end up getting replaced, since they're just copies of the BLC icons. Holding out hope that some of the champs get some rework, or if animations were a little more exaggerated/colorful so it's easier to tell what is going on.

TBH I really just miss Pear-Shaped-Glutton and Elephant-Nose-Inhibitor

EDIT: Also, does anyone else find it weird that you can't see enemy energy bars/heal counts? It's sort of a strange thing to obfuscate especially considering they're going for this "it's like a fighting game" deal.

The animations are mostly okay in my book. Rook is maybe a little exaggerated, making him easy to react to while for example Lucie's Petrify Bolt seems to have no distinct sound or animation so I end up eating it all the time. I think I've read they're planning to re-do icons but I imagine it's a low-ish priority.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

how me a frog posted:

I thought the same thing at first with those healing abilities but it seems they are made that way so healers can keep up with the higher amount of damage in a 3v3

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Living the low-ranked life :allears:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
So people who played before, still check the thread, but aren't playing much lately, are you waiting for the next patch?

Also anyone looking to play 2s/3s (NA/EU I guess). I am crap tier gr10 at the moment, hopefully gr11 over the next few days. Haven't got to play as much as I'd like.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/mrbigruss/v/94903230
final starts around 1:50 (semi final around 1:30)

I like how this vod is part Battlerite tournament, part League of Legends with Eminem.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Khorne posted:

So people who played before, still check the thread, but aren't playing much lately, are you waiting for the next patch?

Also anyone looking to play 2s/3s (NA/EU I guess). I am crap tier gr10 at the moment, hopefully gr11 over the next few days. Haven't got to play as much as I'd like.

More or less. I've already sunk enough time that the only thing left is to climb the ladder. Which isn't exactly rewarding with the current mmr system. There's also a hilarious skill disparity between and within g10-12 and g13+, which makes matchmaking an even more variant. Either way my IGN is FireBlaze, anyone here feel free to add.

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 15, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

More or less. I've already sunk enough time that the only thing left is to climb the ladder. Which isn't exactly rewarding with the current mmr system. There's also a hilarious skill disparity between and within g10-12 and g13+, which makes matchmaking an even more variant. Either way my IGN is FireBlaze, anyone here feel free to add.

Same, I leveled every character to 10 and then kind of bottomed out. The ladder grind is annoying right now due to that high variance (I'm mid g11) and how rating works out. You can have a >50% win rate and still lose rating because point gain is round based not game based. So if your wins are close 2-3 matches while your losses are 0-3 blowouts you can drop even if you have like a 60% game winrate.

Right now I just do my dailies but I'm sure I'll pick back up once the new champs hit. Seeker and Harb were some of my favorites in BLC so I'm looking forward to their BR iterations.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
I think the balancing is in a good place mostly but I am a bit dubious about Pearl. The character is solid, it just feels like she outheals everyone else despite being way more mobile and better in every regard. Her heal should heal less I think. Significantly less.

I am also a bit weirded out by the fact that the one champ that I feel is is obviously imba OP has a grating poo poo personality. cause that makes it seem like it's intentional.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I would play pearl more because I think she's really good but shes an annoying lil poo poo so I don't like her. I play Iva for the opposite reason.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Khorne posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Everything's in place and it looks good, but it sorta reminds me of super early OW beta... really needs that frito launch (so I can get some friends who are edge case about it to try it) and the last few planned heroes+maps. I really wanna get my Guardian on so I hope she makes the jump, Thorn too.

Aside from that I'm looking forward to more polish. The current cosmetics system is kind of a mess and doesn't feel all that rewarding, and there's features missing I assume are planned, first and foremost a daily/weekly tournament system of some kind to give me a good reason to log in daily and play some rounds. I think I'd also prefer some kind of a short, fast hero draft when you get into a game. Just lots of little niggling things BLC had that rite doesn't, yet.

Minera fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 17, 2016

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does the matchmaker prevent double support comps? I don't think I've ever been in a match in 2s with either side having two supports.

Also, my new pet peeve is people IMMEDIATELY ulting after getting the death orb, especially when it's 1v2. Most ults are super easy to for two people to avoid if not interrupt outright, and it typically leaves you in a bad postion with fewer options because you're at 0 energy.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Does the matchmaker prevent double support comps? I don't think I've ever been in a match in 2s with either side having two supports.
I believe so. I've been in 2-3 matches against double support, total, and I'm pretty sure I was in a party with a friend every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Also, my new pet peeve is people IMMEDIATELY ulting after getting the death orb, especially when it's 1v2. Most ults are super easy to for two people to avoid if not interrupt outright, and it typically leaves you in a bad postion with fewer options because you're at 0 energy.

The matchmaking got patched to not allow double support back in alpha or beta.

• Locked thread