Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, he ain't wrong, making all this stuff closed-source/charging money/etc all kinda defeats the purpose of why emulation is cool

heaven forbid someone charge a company to use a license for an emulator so they can profit off of it? :confused:

e : especially considering the metric shitload of work byuu does on it, and he tends to invest the money into archiving more complete ROM dumps and documentation on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I humbly refuse to license my work out to rights holders for respectable re-releases and use the money to make my UI Anything Remotely Resembling Usable, because otherwise I wouldn't be an Internet Piracy Hero. :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Byuu's case is a little different from two people trying to sell a fork of SNES9x.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I hope Byuu can afford the meds he so desperately needs.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I know it's not all that 'Retro' but I've always been fascinated by the Game Boy Micro. Anyone have one of these that could give some impressions? Screen too small to be useful? I keep considering it for games that I have yet to finish like Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. I have an old as dirt flash cart for GBA somewhere I know too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I know it's not all that 'Retro' but I've always been fascinated by the Game Boy Micro. Anyone have one of these that could give some impressions? Screen too small to be useful? I keep considering it for games that I have yet to finish like Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion. I have an old as dirt flash cart for GBA somewhere I know too.

The screen is way more useable than you'd think given the size. The buttons are really good, it's comfortable to hold in my hands and the smaller screen means sprites look super sharp as well. If you're going to buy a GBA that's probably the one to go for unless you have huge hands.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Drowning Rabbit posted:

The screen is beautiful and I would have no problem using it for long periods of time if the hand cramping didn't prevent that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

d0s posted:

I think this was it, I remember the hilarious 1995 website http://www.laserdiscservice.com/

Reminds me of http://www.lightningfastvcrrepair.com/

Not seeing anything on there about LaserActive PACs but maybe I'll shoot em an email, thanks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Game Boy Micro was put out in like 2005, and even then was just another version of a system from 2001. It's retro.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I really want a Micro but after years of hunting and eventually finding an AGS-101 it's just such a hard purchase to justify.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Those rpi-in-a-box scams all but died on english speaking sites which leads me to believe that libretro and the sort are likely not as accessible to non-native speakers. Libretro's interface is horrific and setting up a rpi with retropie isn't easy either... Especially with only english instructions available. I can see how someone can fall for the overpriced rpi scam if you aren't in an english country so while the dude's angry he should probably also consider that their poo poo is a usability nightmare.

I haven't even used libretro in years because it's so bad. All my android emulators are Robert Broglia's releases and libretro looks like garbage on Vita/3DS so ~fart~

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Funny, I just started using RetroArch myself since it seemed like the sanest way to try and interface with Mednafen, try and experiment with its PS1 and Saturn cores. Even took the time to download all the PS1 Classics I'd bought offa PSN onto my computer (by way of my PSP) to mess with it, since it supports those EBOOT.PBP files.

Technically, so does ePSXe, but my attempt at getting that to read them gave me naught but black screens.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The newer, XMB knock-off UI in RetroArch is..well, better. Still not..good, but. Yeah..

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I barely even remember the single player missions from 2/3 because they were just not that interesting compared to how awesome the multiplayer was.

Chaos Theory's got the best campaign in the genre still, though the MP is good too, yes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh nice, I got for free today a Panasonic CT-32sl14. For a 32 inch tv it was a pain to carry, but the picture is so nice even on composite. Want to get some competent cables, but having trouble finding where to order them for the SNES and Genesis.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

Oh nice, I got for free today a Panasonic CT-32sl14. For a 32 inch tv it was a pain to carry, but the picture is so nice even on composite. Want to get some competent cables, but having trouble finding where to order them for the SNES and Genesis.

Believe you want those Retrovision component cables?

Edit: These things: http://www.hdretrovision.com

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Here is a odd question. Does a model 1 Japanese Megadrive work with a US Sega CD?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Djarum posted:

Here is a odd question. Does a model 1 Japanese Megadrive work with a US Sega CD?

I believe it does but, the Sega CD is region locked to only play US Sega CD games. You'd need something like a Mega Everdrive to load a region BIOS or install a mod.

Edit: Looked into this further. Apparently US and European Sega CDs will not work with a Japanese Mega Drive. But for some reason a Japanese Sega CD does not have this check.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Djarum posted:

Generally, but the SCD is region locked itself and obviously you can't use a 50hz system with a 60hz SCD ever.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I believe it does but, the Sega CD is region locked to only play US Sega CD games. You'd need something like a Mega Everdrive to load a region BIOS or install a mod.

Edit: Looked into this further. Apparently US and European Sega CDs will not work with a Japanese Mega Drive. But for some reason a Japanese Sega CD does not have this check.

That is the craziest thing. Oh well I guess I will have to do a shell swap like I was originally expecting. I just hate the look of the US Model 1 Genesis for some reason. The Mega Drive aged a lot better, much like the SuFami to the SNES. The early 90s were not kind to America and console redesigns.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Djarum posted:

That is the craziest thing. Oh well I guess I will have to do a shell swap like I was originally expecting. I just hate the look of the US Model 1 Genesis for some reason. The Mega Drive aged a lot better, much like the SuFami to the SNES. The early 90s were not kind to America and console redesigns.

The first model Genesis iisn't that different from the first model Mega Drive , though, so I don't really get what you're saying here? It's not like there's some dramatic difference between the two visually.

Also, the second model Genesis is a boring dogshit design that Sega shouldn't have bothered with.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Model 2 Genesis is like peak early 90's design though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I love that thing and I especially like the PAL version with the red buttons.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have the Model 1 (HD graphics!) PAL Megadrive, albeit modded with 50/60 and eng/jap switches. Would I need a PAL Mega CD unit as well, or could I mix and match? It's not totally clear.

I do have the Mega Everdrive though, saved my life.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

TeaJay posted:

I have the Model 1 (HD graphics!) PAL Megadrive, albeit modded with 50/60 and eng/jap switches. Would I need a PAL Mega CD unit as well, or could I mix and match? It's not totally clear.

I do have the Mega Everdrive though, saved my life.

With an Everdrive, it doesn't matter. You can load up any region's BIOS for the Mega CD. You just need to find the BIOS files.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Believe you want those Retrovision component cables?

Edit: These things: http://www.hdretrovision.com

Jeez, fifty bucks. Probably wouldn't care about the price, but how fast do they ship?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Jeez, fifty bucks. Probably wouldn't care about the price, but how fast do they ship?

You'd be spending roughly the same or more for a SCART cable and SCART to component converter (though you'd only need one converter). The cables just cut out the converter since it's already built in. No idea on shipping though I think at least one or two people in this thread have bought them and could probably chime in.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rirse posted:

Shipping is like 5 bucks and I got mine in 3 days (shipped from IL to CA). They look fantastic on my Toshiba CRT and are cheaper than buying a SCART cable + YPbPr converter. Also they are engineered to work with the SNES instead of just being a generic converter, but I'm not sure how big of a deal that really is.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Any suggestions on something good / hopefully inexpensive that would let me turn component (and maybe VGA too) into HDMI? I just got a magnavox DVR thing that can scale svideo and composite video and output to HDMI which is nice. But the component ports on the back turned out to be outs and not ins, sadly.

Mostly I wanna stream my original xbox (and maybe Dreamcast). I have HDMI based capture gear.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Light Gun Man posted:

Any suggestions on something good / hopefully inexpensive that would let me turn component (and maybe VGA too) into HDMI? I just got a magnavox DVR thing that can scale svideo and composite video and output to HDMI which is nice. But the component ports on the back turned out to be outs and not ins, sadly.

Mostly I wanna stream my original xbox (and maybe Dreamcast). I have HDMI based capture gear.

If you're doing OG Xbox just go through Component, composite will get you poo poo results. For Dreamcast use VGA, you can get cheap and decent converters for both those formats.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, those are what I want to use. But I need to turn that into HDMI somehow.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Honestly I'd buy just the Xbox one. As nice as streaming on original hardware is DC emulation is really good and produces good results with original discs, you'll get better, crisper image than if you run through a converter. Save you forty bucks or so. I just get all my stuff from monoprice and they tend to work pretty well

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm tempted on a micro myself. I've got big hands, but that said I don't find the sp particularly comfortable

I guess the other option is a backlit modded gba, but they're all from lIke Hong Kong and Vietnam on eBay which has me concerned about bootlegs

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have tiny hands and still get cramps with the micro. I think it's mostly the shoulder buttons that are the worst. You can't push down on the corners like the SP. You need to curl your fingers around the top to press them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've seen this image floating around the Japanese internet for a little while - I can't find an official source but it puts the Famicom Mini's controller at 90mm wide, which really does seem excessively small.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yeah it's ridiculously small. They wanted to make sure it fit on the side of the famicom but uh...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You'd be spending roughly the same or more for a SCART cable and SCART to component converter (though you'd only need one converter). The cables just cut out the converter since it's already built in. No idea on shipping though I think at least one or two people in this thread have bought them and could probably chime in.

Monopthalmus posted:

Shipping is like 5 bucks and I got mine in 3 days (shipped from IL to CA). They look fantastic on my Toshiba CRT and are cheaper than buying a SCART cable + YPbPr converter. Also they are engineered to work with the SNES instead of just being a generic converter, but I'm not sure how big of a deal that really is.

Okay that makes more sense. I probably order those when my paycheck shows up in a few days. Not in a rush since I still need to find a spot for this tv, as it pretty drat heavy so no sticking it next to my PC like the one I posted images of before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kashuno posted:

yeah it's ridiculously small. They wanted to make sure it fit on the side of the famicom but uh...

My reaction was "Verisimilitude is nice, but people still have to play this thing."

They also scaled the length of the controller cables down from one foot to three inches. :v:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

This is so awesome, and just yet another reason to go with the SD2SNES if you haven't already. Hopefully they do this for the Link to the Past "sequels" too.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I have it and I really like it a lot. The d-pad is great, but it is "mushy" , even more than even the DS Lite. But it's good. The screen is FANTASTIC. I am a complete lunatic when it comes to image quality and screen stuff and for the longest time I assumed it was an OLED screen, yet it's not. I still don't know how it gets such amazing blacks/colors on a non-oled screen. Also the games look even better being on a smaller screen (higher DPI). I would say the only negative is dust tends to make its way onto the actual screen even with the cover on (but this happens with the non-SP GBA as well) and the speakers are really quiet, even at full volume. But it is a great little system. I beat Mother 3 on it.

The Kins posted:

I humbly refuse to license my work out to rights holders for respectable re-releases and use the money to make my UI Anything Remotely Resembling Usable, because otherwise I wouldn't be an Internet Piracy Hero. :colbert:

Every single time I go back to the menu in RetroArch, no matter which version on which console, it takes me 45 minutes to figure out how the hell to resume my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Rats they are sold out of the SNES cables. Hopefully they don't take a while to return in stock like the Dreamcast flashcart. Speaking of components, has anyone done the N64 mod for RGB yet?

• Locked thread