Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

This could backfire, though.

"Mr. Zebb, why did you brutally rape and slaughter Yeoman Leavitt?"
"A Greek god forced me to, sir."

The perfect crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"The Gang Gets Spacist"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't trust Trek to handle it well enough. It will come off as MRA false flag rape accusation bullshit. Waaay to fine a line to walk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Actually, it's about ethics in Federation journalism.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

I don't think it's bad, it's just par for the course for a show that started in 2001. I can remember BSG would occasionally do CG people a few years later and theirs never looked right either despite being able to better hide their imperfections better with the shakeycam.

The space shots are pretty reliably solid but some of the interior stuff is super inconsistent. Any time they try to show the biological parts of a basestar it looks lovely as hell. The centurion animation is also inconsistent.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG's FX were a little less polished after they went in house. Zoic's early work is still incredible, but back then they still kept the biological components minimal or they did them practically.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

When did that happen?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I'm up to Season 3 of TNG and Data keeps telling people that he doesn't have feelings or emotions but he totally does. Is this supposed to be a dramatic irony thing or just conflicting writing?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

They pushed back the premiere to May because the production isn't starting until next month.

Also they apparently still haven't cast it yet. :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pwnstar posted:

I'm up to Season 3 of TNG and Data keeps telling people that he doesn't have feelings or emotions but he totally does. Is this supposed to be a dramatic irony thing or just conflicting writing?

They couldn't decide whether he was Spock 2.0 or Pinocchio.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pwnstar posted:

It's the latter but pretend it's the former.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's like they couldn't decide if he just thought or claimed to not have emotions but totally totally did like vulcans, or if he actually was totally incapable of them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When in doubt, just think that DATA spends all the time he should be sleeping reviewing Emotions for Spergs data tapes and mimicking them 100% accurately.

Data grimaces while fending off a Borg? In his magical mind, he's going "Narrow eyes and furrow brows by a factor of 7. Perform Face Action 35o. Ready servomuscles for rapid action"

Later, Crewman Larson enters the lift. Data pauses, tilts head slightly and looks her in the eyes. "Greetings crewman. Are you finding the environmental controls to your liking this evening?"

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Operation -- Annihilate!

"Okay, we need one more episode to finish the show. Anyone got any ideas?"

"No, we've all run out."

"Okay, let's just rip off a Heinlein novel."

"Sounds good."

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Pwnstar posted:

For fun count the times he uses contractions, especially in the episode when it is a big deal that Lore can. Maybe they transported the wrong android?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Been trying to get through enterprise with no skipping, and it's so far been pretty enjoyable. But gently caress I had to skip ahead past this Mayweather-centric episode. Oh no he has family drama on his lovely cargo ship. His brother or what ever is challenged by Mr. Starfleet, his mom is momin' around, I don't know I skipped all the cargo ship scenes pretty quickly. The B plot was t'pol watching horror movies and wasn't really much of a B plot at all. Bad episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

For fun count the times he uses contractions, especially in the episode when it is a big deal that Lore can. Maybe they transported the wrong android?

Data was a lot more fun before they finally decided on "completely oblivious to all human interactions". I mean, poo poo, his very first scene in Farpoint has him whistling, expressing admiration for humans, and grinning.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Data was really inconsistent from season to season, episode to episode, scene to scene, and sentence to sentence.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

WickedHate posted:

Data was really inconsistent from season to season, episode to episode, scene to scene, and sentence to sentence.

True, but the early seasons definitely felt like they were leaning more towards "has emotions, doesn't realize it or know how to deal with them". That seemed to change towards the end of season 2, where Data clearly has no emotions and can't interpret others' emotions.

Data's Generations B-plot is the arc he should have had over the course of TNG.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They couldn't decide how much of a Spock clone they wanted him to be. He was, after all, based on Xon, who was a literal Spock replacement.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

mossyfisk posted:

Operation -- Annihilate!

"Okay, we need one more episode to finish the show. Anyone got any ideas?"

"No, we've all run out."

"Okay, let's just rip off a Heinlein novel."

"Sounds good."

Unless I'm completely misremembering, wasn't Heinlein consulted a couple times for TOS? Or was that Harlan Ellison?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Ellison did a fair bit, I don't believe Heinlein was ever involved although I haven't checked.

Onto Season 2 with "Amok Time", or "VulcaniansVulcans are weird as poo poo"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mossyfisk posted:

Ellison did a fair bit, I don't believe Heinlein was ever involved although I haven't checked.

Roddenberry called up Heinlein to apologize for completely ripping off the Martian flat cat and calling it the tribble. This convinced Heinlein not to sue.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's impressive that on a ship thats full of borderline-autists that Barclay manages to stand out at all with his difficulty in social situations. He knew what was up though, spending all day in the holodeck banging hot girls he knows and punching out his boss. Of all of us perhaps he was the most.. human.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Hmm. When Kai Winn and Elim Garak come out against you, I'd say your hosed Mr Trump.

I really hope.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As an android, I can not emote as it is not part of my programming. Anyway, y'all wanna go hang out in the holodeck? It's super fun, I love it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

UFC will still exist, though.

ULTIMATE FICELLO CHAMPIONSHIP will be very popular amongst space Canadians like the stalwart commander Eddington, I must say.

UFC is obviously the Ultimate Finnegan Championship, and what Kirk's academy roommate got up to after graduation.

Imagine that annoying Irish guy from the one TOS episode as this Vince MacMahon figure...

Zurui posted:

I think y'all have a critical misunderstanding of what "post-scarcity" means.

Wuffie is not money. It's not even a currency. You don't use it to pay for things or taxes or whatever. It's an alternative reason to get out of bed and work for the betterment of humanity. It's inherently unlimited. There's no "welfare state" because welfare implies a distribution of goods based upon merit or lack thereof.

At least on the core worlds, we see nothing to indicate that any sort of transaction takes place. People just do what they want because the only limited resource is time.

This is from a good few pages back, but James P. Hogan's book Voyage from Yesteryear does something like this. It's more an economy of respect, people do things because they like and/or are good at it, and get recognized for it. Respect/acknowledgement becomes the 'unit of currency' but it's not limited at all - gaining more respect doesn't somehow remove it from other people, it's not a zero-sum game like capitalism.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
bleh, ignore

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Despite ordering them from different websites on different days from different countries through different postal services, these two bad boys arrived within an hour of each other. Looking forward to digging in!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok I'm not even joking Archer is kidnapped or captured in some way every other episode in the last half of season 2, it's a perfect every-other episode pattern.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WarLocke posted:

This is from a good few pages back, but James P. Hogan's book Voyage from Yesteryear does something like this. It's more an economy of respect, people do things because they like and/or are good at it, and get recognized for it. Respect/acknowledgement becomes the 'unit of currency' but it's not limited at all - gaining more respect doesn't somehow remove it from other people, it's not a zero-sum game like capitalism.

This is why I like that the Federation unit of currency, when it is rarely mentioned, is the credit -- you're literally getting credit for your accomplishments. :haw:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cojawfee posted:

As an android, I can not emote as it is not part of my programming. Anyway, y'all wanna go hang out in the holodeck? It's super fun, I love it.

I seem to recall Futurama's riff on it was "As a robot I have no emotions, and that makes me sad".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry! :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Data Graham posted:

You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry! :argh:

Do we have a Robot Devil emoticon?

I think we need one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ship in a Bottle ends on an incredibly grim note with Moriarty being locked for eternity inside the 24th Century version of No Man's Sky.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really love the TOS Romulan ships.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cojawfee posted:

I really love the TOS Romulan ships.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmLljk2t8M

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

When I rewatched TNG it hit me that they probably should of revealed that he does have emotions, but because he's not human he doesn't feel or express them in the same way and since Data's standard for comparison was humanity he just didn't realise. But instead in Brothers we get the emotion chip and Sung being a weird recluse, who also didn't care that one of his `sons` killed all his neighbours.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I always assumed Soong's colonist neighbours were a bunch of assholes and so Lore was just emulating his first exposure to humanity, sort of like those AIs that become racist by learning to speak from the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well they were only assholes in the sense that they were trying to survive on a new colony and their rear end in a top hat mad scientist neighbor (descended from a guy who played with the babies of genetic war criminals) was Frankensteining it up down the street....