Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Serrath posted:

You're obviously familiar with this so I'm not saying this to derail the thread into a lengthy debate about this but being familiar with polygraphs, rules of evidence, and psychology as well, I would argue that it's not as unequivocal as you're making it out to be. For one thing, it's profoundly under-researched; you can draw your own conclusions as to why this is but finding good evidence that isn't more than 15 years old is very difficult and, while those studies that do encourage polygraph use that have come out in the last five years, they tend to be very small scale which doesn't contribute the strength of evidence that you would expect to be unequivocally demonstrated. I don't disagree with what you're saying but I do think, given the available standard of evidence, that skepticism is still justified.

To clarify, the "unequivocal" part was in response to this paragraph specifically:

quote:

The real value of polygraphs is the pomp and circumstance lets you read the person's body language while they're being asked difficult questions. It's one thing if your heart speeds up, it's another thing entirely if you start fidgeting or avoiding eye contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'll believe Georgia goes blue ever again when I loving see it

Georgia is gonna be minority majority within a decade man.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Filthy Hans posted:

Should be fun, the second was about as bad as you could expect for Clinton and she still won, and now Trump's going scorched earth on everyone who isn't strongly supporting him
I feel like Hillary could have hit him harder during the second debate but didn't just so he wouldn't cancel the third debate, so she can overkill him there from the very beginning.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
It's been said previously, but man alive, the tell-all books about this election are going to be must-reads, from all sides.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Holy poo poo - the USC/LAT poll is Clinton +0.4%

44.4 Clinton, 44 Trump

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

canepazzo posted:

44.4 Clinton, 44 Trump

:getin:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've been holding my breath waiting for all the post- pussygrab-schism polls to show that full impact. This is a great first sign.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Instant Sunrise posted:

feminist majority foundation had this article as a part of domestic violence awareness month, it's long and sad, but worth a read.

Guns in Abusive Homes

Thanks for this.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Trabisnikof posted:

Reminder: Hillary Clinton as a young woman wrote NASA a letter wanting to be an Astronaut and NASA said "lol no girls allowed"

This poo poo matters.

(Not her letter but one similar)

I remember seeing something years ago about NASA concerns with women in space, that they wouldn't be able to handle it, their bones would fall apart, they wouldn't be able to use a bathroom, and blood would come out of... wherever, all over or backwards.

As to the discussion a few pages back about token female president or whatever that wouldn't change anything, I like to think of it like female astronauts. For an older generation of geeks, it probably seemed like a big deal with Sally Ride becoming the first woman (in America) to go into space, but for me, that was years before I was ever born, the idea that I could be an astronaut one day wasn't even a question it was just a "yeah, well of course I could, there are women astronauts whats the big deal?". For a lot of people it's going to be a big deal by itself that a women will finally be president even though its not going to just change sexism and patriarchal systems, but a whole generation now will grow up thinking "yeah, well of course I could, there are women presidents (Michelle 2024), whats the big deal?".

I think that kind of poo poo is really powerful.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

canepazzo posted:

44.4 Clinton, 44 Trump

This is one that's been pro trump for an extended period right? I'm new to how these polls work.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Banana Man posted:

This is one that's been pro trump for an extended period right? I'm new to how these polls work.

They've had Trump up for the last month, by almost 7 points for about a week.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Banana Man posted:

It's been consistently (other than during the DNC falloff period, and I think once in the beginning of September) between +3 and +6 Trump.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Banana Man posted:

It's been running about 8 points redder than the rest of the polling averages but more interestingly before the swing today it's been seemingly impervious to change which is funny because it's a daily tracking poll.

Edit: In theory optimized to be responsive to change but not necessarily accurate to the absolute margin of the election however whatever methodology they chose doesn't seem to track the bulk of polling with either.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just another log to throw on the outrage bonfire.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2016/10/11/donald_trump_would_raise_taxes_on_single_parents.html

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

canepazzo posted:

44.4 Clinton, 44 Trump

Impossible.

I would seriously read a book about this poll after all this.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

On a serious related note, does the thread have any book recommendations on biographical material for either Clinton and/or his administration? My history on that time period is weak and I find both of them immensely interesting people.

The only book I've ever read on the Clintons was an ancient anti-Clinton screed by some dude shilling for the House Republicans after '94 that I picked up in a bookstore to read on the train. I was politically aware enough to know it sounded like bullshit but I feel like it probably colored my views all the same. :negative:
reaching back a bit, but while 'The Hunting of the President' isn't about the administration per se it does offer an interesting look into the media movements that have culminated in our current right-wing medias and the history of the anti-Clinton smear campaigns.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

As much as I want to see a flawless victory + fatality in round 3 of the debates, the adult in me is thinking we're probably better off with more of the same. She can't get the people who think she's literally possessed by demons, the men who can't stand the idea of a woman doing a man's job, the single issue pro-life voters, the white supremacists, or the NWO isolationists.

So that leaves the churchgoers who aren't okay with the locker room talk, the business people who depend on international trade, and the culturally conservative immigrants who aren't thrilled by the wall idea for her to talk to. If she wants those votes (she wants them all) she has to walk a very fine line where she's showing those groups that what she offers them is better than what he offers, without alienating them for the other ties they have to the GOP.

Too many people associate assertive women with mythological beasts of yore (Harpy, Siren, Medusa), so simply being the only rational adult on the stage is probably her best chance to win over the people with whom she has a chance. She's got to stay above the fray, ignore his bait, and subtly bring up points that make him act more Trumplike. She can't out-big him, she can't out-rhetoric him, she can't overpower him, so she's got to be Bugs Bunny, casually deflecting his craziness with a wink to the audience, but always always always making sure she's the good guy and he's the angry, misguided one.

I won't turn down a chaos dunk, though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Banana Man posted:

Yeah, that's the crazy tracking poll. I really don't understand why it's being aggregated. It's highly experimental and has no track record. I think there's also a lot of questionable decisions they've made with their methodology that wouldn't be tolerated if they were made by a respected pollster with a good track record.

You can read some of the details here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/innovative-interesting-new-poll-not-believable_us_57bb1bc9e4b007f181993144

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Tricky Ed posted:

As much as I want to see a flawless victory + fatality in round 3 of the debates, the adult in me is thinking we're probably better off with more of the same. She can't get the people who think she's literally possessed by demons, the men who can't stand the idea of a woman doing a man's job, the single issue pro-life voters, the white supremacists, or the NWO isolationists.

So that leaves the churchgoers who aren't okay with the locker room talk, the business people who depend on international trade, and the culturally conservative immigrants who aren't thrilled by the wall idea for her to talk to. If she wants those votes (she wants them all) she has to walk a very fine line where she's showing those groups that what she offers them is better than what he offers, without alienating them for the other ties they have to the GOP.

Too many people associate assertive women with mythological beasts of yore (Harpy, Siren, Medusa), so simply being the only rational adult on the stage is probably her best chance to win over the people with whom she has a chance. She's got to stay above the fray, ignore his bait, and subtly bring up points that make him act more Trumplike. She can't out-big him, she can't out-rhetoric him, she can't overpower him, so she's got to be Bugs Bunny, casually deflecting his craziness with a wink to the audience, but always always always making sure she's the good guy and he's the angry, misguided one.

The ones who will never, ever vote for her could simply just not vote.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Your way works too posted:

Impossible.

The Black Man Who Voted For Trump : The LATimes Tracker Poll Story

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why is that poll such a loving outlier?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know. It's not even graded on FiveThirtyEight. Its presence is baffling.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Anidav posted:

Maybe it's the last hold out of Unskewed methodology.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anidav posted:

It's doing a lot of experimental things that have added up to being pretty skewed in the long run.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Your way works too posted:

Impossible.

You're in luck! It's a university research project so I'm sure there will be a pretty good postmortem saying, "This was busted. We'll fix it for next cycle if we can get funding to do this again."

dis astranagant posted:

It's doing a lot of experimental things that have added up to being pretty skewed in the long run.

This is true, but the mistakes it's making have nothing to do with the experimental nature of it. Most of them are just pedestrian polling newb mistakes.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 12, 2016

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

By experimental to you mean holding the phone up to Karl Rove's rear end?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anidav posted:

Over emphasizing who you say you voted for in 2012, for one. There's a Huffpo link above that actually covers some of the problems their in their methodology.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Anidav posted:

Man I hope we get some bonkers moments like that from this election. Still not certain whether or not I'm taking the day off to watch coverage. 2012 was great because they were so convinced Romney was going to win. This year, though, with the stink of defeat emanating from Trump I can't help but feel like it's going to have a more somber fait accompli tone to it.

CNN might be the coverage to go with since they've shown they can put together a looney bin of Trump supporters.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I understand wanting to try something new in polling but why not run a traditional poll simultaneously so your credibility doesn't get dragged through the mud?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Anidav posted:

instead of dialing a random sample of voters they use the same pool of 3000 voters, dial up a ~400 person chunk every day, and ask them the same set of questions

it's basically lesson one in how not to design a statistical test

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

reaching back a bit, but while 'The Hunting of the President' isn't about the administration per se it does offer an interesting look into the media movements that have culminated in our current right-wing medias and the history of the anti-Clinton smear campaigns.

There's apparently a documentary version of this. Book or documentary?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ErIog posted:

Yeah, that's the crazy tracking poll. I really don't understand why it's being aggregated. It's highly experimental and has no track record. I think there's also a lot of questionable decisions they've made with their methodology that wouldn't be tolerated if they were made by a respected pollster with a good track record.

You can read some of the details here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/innovative-interesting-new-poll-not-believable_us_57bb1bc9e4b007f181993144
Horserace

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

instead of dialing a random sample of voters they use the same pool of 3000 voters, dial up a ~400 person chunk every day, and ask them the same set of questions

:agreed:

plus there's not a single person in that poll who won't start answering differently sometimes just to gently caress with the pollsters

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Tricky Ed posted:

Honestly I'm expecting less of a chaos dunk from Hillary and more of a self-immolation from Trump. Trump is loving pissed at the GOP right now, and I bet that if Hillary prodded him with a few instances of "even the GOP isn't supporting Donald anymore", he'd spend the next hour telling millions of viewers how much the Republican Party sucks while Hillary looks on with a grin on her face.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

I mean, if the idea isn't to test "who's winning" but rather "who's doing better than last week", the idea isn't unreasonable. It seems they probably messed up in the details (choosing the sample), but the core concept is fine.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canepazzo posted:

This Utah poll is quite the thing:

Trump 26%
Clinton 26%
McMullin 22%
Johnson 14%

The smallest margin of victory(and it's always a victory) for a Republican in the Utah presidential election is more than 20%. So far.

Mormons must absolutely despise Trump. Which is slightly surprising given how willing evangelicals have been willing to stick by him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Honestly I'm expecting less of a chaos dunk from Hillary and more of a self-immolation from Trump. Trump is loving pissed at the GOP right now, and I bet that if Hillary prodded him with a few instances of "even the GOP isn't supporting Donald anymore", he'd spend the next hour telling millions of viewers how much the Republican Party sucks while Hillary looks on with a grin on her face.

She gave a line like that in the last debate, so she's definitely aware and probably enjoying it a lot. If the madness continues there's no way she doesn't hit him on it in the next one.

And, because this is Trump here, it will continue. The main issue I can see if the rear end in a top hat Fox moderator trying to tip things.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Solved the mystery - they didn't poll that famous outlier, looks like:

Vote breakdown

Afro-american % supporting Trump: 5.2%, down from 18/20%

Also, check out "who do you think will win, regardless of your vote?" (usually a more predictive indicator of an election):

55.5% Clinton
38.9% Trump

and

"do you intend to vote?"

86.1% Clinton
83.5% Trump

Enthusiasm gap

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ditocoaf posted:

I mean, if the idea isn't to test "who's winning" but rather "who's doing better than last week", the idea isn't unreasonable. It seems they probably messed up in the details (choosing the sample), but the core concept is fine.

rolling samples and plain ol aggregators taking the mean already exist if you need something less volatile, and the latter will by design be more accurate than a single poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

The smallest margin of victory(and it's always a victory) for a Republican in the Utah presidential election is more than 20%. So far.

Mormons must absolutely despise Trump. Which is slightly surprising given how willing evangelicals have been willing to stick by him.

Mormons place a lot of value in appearing decent in public. Trump has always been just about the opposite of everything they think a public figure should be.

Evangelicals already had jumped the shark by ho-ing themselves out for divorced adulterer Ronald Reagan and his wife Nancy, the Tony Hawk of pro Hollywood blowjobs.

• Locked thread