Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:

VodeAndreas posted:

At my company the general rule for lattice tower drop zones is 1m out for every 2m up, so if it's a 20m tower try not to stand within 10m when it's looking icy I guess.

I always wondered how "watch out for falling ice" signs on a sidewalk provided any indemnity to the buildings putting them out. So what, people are supposed to walk around looking in the air, or walk in the street? It's not like you'll notice the ice as its slips off a 25 story building hurtling towards your relatively soft head at terminal velocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CADPAT posted:

I always wondered how "watch out for falling ice" signs on a sidewalk provided any indemnity to the buildings putting them out. So what, people are supposed to walk around looking in the air, or walk in the street? It's not like you'll notice the ice as its slips off a 25 story building hurtling towards your relatively soft head at terminal velocity.

If you don't want to get dead maybe you should wear proper PPE. :smug:

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Speaking of not wearing PPE...

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/german-worker-who-plunged-to-death-in-perth-was-not-wearing-harness-20161011-grzj2j.html

quote:

A woman who was working just metres away from German woman Marianka Heumann when she plunged to her death from the 15th floor on a construction site in Perth said the young woman was not wearing adequate safety equipment at the time of the horrific accident.

She said Heumann had already taken off her harness when she went back to finish a last strip of silicon in the airshaft "which only takes like two minutes".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A good reminder it only takes a single moment of Heumann error for a tragedy to happen.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

A good reminder it only takes a single moment of Heumann error for a tragedy to happen.

holy poo poo gents what's the minimum safe distance for a time portal to first gbs

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The first Ukranian superhero is shaping up pretty well, gotta say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bs0k4kVMgk

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

zedprime posted:

People that properly pronounce her name don't get the joke, jerk :mad:

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Arizona only does if you are registered in Phoenix or Tucson. So if you are registered literally anywhere else in the state no annual anything also lesser reqs for your motor thing to be called a vehicle.

wjs5 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 11, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Vehicle inspections are a scam. Im glad we dont have them here in MN.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JB50 posted:

Vehicle inspections are a scam. Im glad we dont have them here in MN.

Yeah, just pay your yearly blood money and you're golden. Thanks Jesse Ventura!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Azhais posted:

Yeah, just pay your yearly blood money and you're golden. Thanks Jesse Ventura!

???

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ventura drove the ending of inspections iirc

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Azhais posted:

Ventura drove the ending of inspections iirc

Whats the yearly blood money?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

JB50 posted:

Probably for the FEMA Death Camps

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

JB50 posted:

Avoidable traffic injuries and fatalities

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

On one hand inspections are useful because theoretically it stops people from bringing ozone-destroying deathtraps on the road and killing themselves and other people, but on the other hand like everything in the US there's a racial component to them that makes them something you can't really push for and make them really lovely to talk about.

Basically in an ideal world there would be no racism or inspections but in this world we get both, go us.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

ranbo das posted:

On one hand inspections are useful because theoretically it stops people from bringing ozone-destroying deathtraps on the road and killing themselves and other people, but on the other hand like everything in the US there's a racial component to them that makes them something you can't really push for and make them really lovely to talk about.

Basically in an ideal world there would be no racism or inspections but in this world we get both, go us.

*Racially inspects this post*

"We don't take kindly to effort posts around these parts, boy!"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JB50 posted:

license tab renewals

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Azhais posted:

license tab renewals

Ill take my $35 tabs over inspections anyday.

Dont places with inspections have tabs also. It not like an either/or situation.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pySvc17K2jE

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ranbo das posted:

Do you mean that Japanese and Korean cars would be treated worse than American cars?

Or that the black cars have to go to the back of the shop?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

spog posted:

Do you mean that Japanese and Korean cars would be treated worse than American cars?

Or that the black cars have to go to the back of the shop?

Inspections cost money and also take shittier cars off the road, both of which have a much greater impact on poor people (and specifically minorities) than anyone else.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like most everywhere in europe, there are inspections once every two years for passenger vehicles, and they're also mostly an inconvenience for poor people and anyone with mods. It used to be that you could get your ride "inspected" for roughly double the regular fee without the car ever leaving your garage but they're trying to crack down on it by requiring photo evidence and other bullshit.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why exactly are the batteries for this specific phone catching fire? Was it a design flaw, and it's samsung's fault, or was it the manufacturers cutting corners, and samsung will have to apologize to China like Mattel did.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't think they've said what the issue is but I'm guessing it's something to do with their proprietary fast charging technology. Even the S7 Edge gets really goddamn hot when it charges.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

My galaxy s5 gets pretty warm when I'm charging it, doubly so if I'm trying to use it for anything and charge it at the same time. If you tried to push even more current through it I can see that becoming a real issue.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ranbo das posted:

I would be happy to have them, if only to inconvenience those with straight pipes on their vehicles. Surely that is the purest of all idiot taxes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The first Ukranian superhero is shaping up pretty well, gotta say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bs0k4kVMgk

It's like a faraday cage but still... :stare:

coin laundry
Feb 15, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Why exactly are the batteries for this specific phone catching fire? Was it a design flaw, and it's samsung's fault, or was it the manufacturers cutting corners, and samsung will have to apologize to China like Mattel did.

https://twitter.com/arter97/status/786002483424272384
"For those wondering why Note 7s go boom :
Edges are too round, making each cells to have high possibilities to bend and contact with others."

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

they were literally cutting corners

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

VectorSigma posted:

they were literally cutting corners

No, they're trying to really, really look different from those other phones.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The latest news is that Samsung actually has no idea why they go boom.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/F62D00T.mp4

mmm bird bread

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 12, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's happening to those poor birdies!?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
They're being ground up by a screw conveyor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Being made into high protein flour

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Synthbuttrange posted:

Being made into high protein flour

So that's where Costco Kodiak cakes come from...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's pink polenta all over again!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

This is some Upton Sinclair-level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's pink polenta all over again!

with all those birds going in, it looks like there's polenty to go around :mmmhmm: