Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Pulsedragon posted:

So, I'm currently playing in a game of Masks, and, due to a series of circumstances, that I really don't want to get too in depth into, suffice to say that they're frustrating, and dumb.

My GM has not read the GMing chapter. I discovered this by asking how many conditions a particular villain has. The answer was, and I quote. "Rule Zero."

So I've asked him in the text exchange to actually read the relevant sections of the book, but I think I'm. . . actually going to have to have a conversation with him about this and I don't want to be too harsh, but I kind of have to be, given that he's decided to toss me at a duel with personal stakes too high for losing to be an option, and also an explicit statement that I am not supposed to win this alone. (I actually can, and probably will, but that's besides the point, right now).

Now I know the correct answer to "How do I solve this?" Is "Talk to him like you're both adults." And I'm going to, probably either today or tomorrow, but I just wanted to know if you goons had any advice on uh.

How to be gentle about telling the GM to read the goddamned rules.

Oh my!

I might mention to your GM that while a lot of RPGs treat the GM as final arbitrator on the rules and tell them to ignore or change whatever and they're used to that, PBTA is very explicit about what the GM's job is, and how they go about it.

The thing I love (absolutely love) about PBTA is that by giving the GM the structure it does, it puts a lot of the load of figuring out what happens next into the system, which frees the GM up to be more improvisational. I prep nothing when I run Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, and minimal amounts for other PBTA games depending on how well i know their systems/genres.

I can do a one shot of DW with no prep, but the best part is, I get to be as surprised about what happens as the players. Allowing the rules to do their job will give you an experience that you would never have had without them. Your GM is robbing themselves of the joy of being surprised if they ignore the rules for Masks, because they're robbing themselves of the central tension between player choice, and consistent world, the rules, and randomness of the dice.

Hopefully your GM is mature enough to take the feedback on board and realise that you want to play the game when you explain it.

Flavivirus' advice is definitely part of the angle I'd take. The GM rules are rules. PBTA treats the GM as a player, just a player with a different set orf rules. I can't recall if masks has the always say part that apocalypse world does. As players, it's your responsibility to learn your playbooks' moves, and as the MC/editor, its your GM's responsibility to learn theirs. If they aren't following the rules then it's quite possible they're not playing to find out whatv happens, and thats a core of every PBTA game.

"always say:
• What the principles demand.
• What the rules demand.
• What your prep demands.
• What honesty demands."

While some RPGs may rely on the rule of cool, PBTA definitely does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Rule Zero is a really useful safety net when you're running games -- it means that if you screw up e.g. encounter balance then it's no big deal, you can adjust it on the fly. PBTA has a similar safety net in the way the GM handles their fictional positioning, but if you're new to the system it's not immediately obvious.

Dulkor posted:

Politely explaining that this isn't that kind of game and it only functions properly when both sides follow the rules from their parts of the book is really the only way to go. If you can show him some examples of how the interactions are supposed to play out that will usually help make clear what kind of game it is.

If you have time, it might be an idea to have someone who does get PBTA (maybe you?) to run a one- or two-shot game to show off how the system works, then go through it and explain why you made the decisions you did at the times you did. Or point him to a PBTA podcast? Friends at the Table is pretty cool.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Flavivirus posted:

It's likely going to be difficult - many GMs are used to rules being only a suggestion for them.

They may not realise how important that part of the system is. Maybe point out that what they're doing is equivalent to decided monsters don't have HP in D&D without telling players beforehand - it's a crucial part of the system you all signed up to play.

I get what you mean but it's probably worth noting that loads of people playing D&D do in fact run encounters by going "Well he's taken three hits and one of them was pretty big so he can be dead now".

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

spectralent posted:

I get what you mean but it's probably worth noting that loads of people playing D&D do in fact run encounters by going "Well he's taken three hits and one of them was pretty big so he can be dead now".

That's fair, though in that case I'd still be irritated if I was playing the game under the presumption that the amount of damage I was doing was really important. I think in my mind one's a bigger magnitude of problem that the other - abstracting the precise value of a numeric damage track isn't invalidating the player's actions so long as the general amount of damage done is respected, but when you're placing discrete traits on an opponent as your only mechanical interaction with them it's a huge removal of player agency to disregard that. It'd be like inventing or discarding Fate aspects on a whim.

Really the biggest issue is that it sounds like Pulsedragon expects to be able to win a fight and by rules as written has a pretty good chance, but the GM is deciding to disregard the rules so their own ideas win out - no matter the rules system that's a red flag, but it's particularly an issue in a game written with the PbtA play-to-find-out philosophy.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

madadric posted:

The thing I love (absolutely love) about PBTA is that by giving the GM the structure it does, it puts a lot of the load of figuring out what happens next into the system, which frees the GM up to be more improvisational. I prep nothing when I run Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, and minimal amounts for other PBTA games depending on how well i know their systems/genres.
:same:

madadric posted:

I can do a one shot of DW with no prep, but the best part is, I get to be as surprised about what happens as the players. Allowing the rules to do their job will give you an experience that you would never have had without them.
^^^ This, a thousand times this. When I run PBTA games at cons, I literally have no idea what's going to happen. I have no "plot" going in, and in true AW games I don't even make any initial decisions about the setting, instead working with the players to create it collaboratively out of thin air. It has produced some seriously loving rad sessions.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

Flavivirus posted:

That's fair, though in that case I'd still be irritated if I was playing the game under the presumption that the amount of damage I was doing was really important. I think in my mind one's a bigger magnitude of problem that the other - abstracting the precise value of a numeric damage track isn't invalidating the player's actions so long as the general amount of damage done is respected, but when you're placing discrete traits on an opponent as your only mechanical interaction with them it's a huge removal of player agency to disregard that. It'd be like inventing or discarding Fate aspects on a whim.

Really the biggest issue is that it sounds like Pulsedragon expects to be able to win a fight and by rules as written has a pretty good chance, but the GM is deciding to disregard the rules so their own ideas win out - no matter the rules system that's a red flag, but it's particularly an issue in a game written with the PbtA play-to-find-out philosophy.

This is pretty much exactly what happened, the other thing is, that the GM explicitly set the fight up as a duel and the personal stakes are a little high for her to be losing at this point in her character development, because she's like, right at the start of figuring things out so backsliding isn't interesting.

And then told me out of character that he doesn't intend for me to be able to fight this guy alone.

Also he established that anyone cheating would get hurt, badly. And, look there were a couple other things, but, basically he set me up for a duel I can't afford to lose, but he doesn't intend for me to win, either? So.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Sounds like you're looking for different games. For example you want to game and he wants to write a novel.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

He's trying to railroad a PbtA game. Which is... impressive.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013

admanb posted:

He's trying to railroad a PbtA game. Which is... impressive.

Yeah, and it's a notable departure from his normal behavior, which is why this is a "Sit down and explain the rules"

and not a a

"Sit down and tell him I'm fuckin' out"

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Be a fan of the player's characters...being railroaded

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I mean I don't know Masks but if the GM really wanted the fight to be nearly unwinnable couldn't he just give the bad guy enough HP/conditions that you're question was irrelevant anyway?

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Apocron posted:

I mean I don't know Masks but if the GM really wanted the fight to be nearly unwinnable couldn't he just give the bad guy enough HP/conditions that you're question was irrelevant anyway?

I think the maximum amount of conditions is 5? Villains have the same amount of conditions as the teen heroes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It depends on how serious a threat you need a villain to be. Five conditions is archnemesis material, like Slade from the Teen Titans cartoon.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
Well had a talk with him, he. . . might understand now? I don't know, I cited specific page numbers for him to read the night before and when I pointed out some things he kind of gave me the "Yeah, yeah I got it" bit.

So. We'll see.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Pulsedragon posted:

Well had a talk with him, he. . . might understand now? I don't know, I cited specific page numbers for him to read the night before and when I pointed out some things he kind of gave me the "Yeah, yeah I got it" bit.

So. We'll see.

Good luck! I hope your GM gets to enjoy being surprised and excited to find out what will happen.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Any tips on running Monsterhearts?

I know to keep external threats and obligations supporting player drama without turning everything into Monster of the Week, and every non-core playbook is bad aside from the Dad. Surprised there's no Teacher one, to be honest.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 16, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Any tips on running Monsterhearts?

I know to keep external threats and obligations supporting player drama without turning everything into Monster of the Week, and every non-core playbook is bad aside from the Dad. Surprised there's no Teacher one, to be honest.

Giving to the undeserving is just as good as punishing the innocent. Make triangles, ask hard questions, force choices.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I haven't delved deeply into PBTA, but I wanted to ask, what (if any) is the underlying/unifying resource management subsystem that's utilized in these games?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

P.d0t posted:

I haven't delved deeply into PBTA, but I wanted to ask, what (if any) is the underlying/unifying resource management subsystem that's utilized in these games?

There really isn't any that I can think of. I guess they all have some form of HP (harm clock, HP, conditions, etc.), but that's it? Like, the main unifying element is Moves.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

P.d0t posted:

While each of the hacks has something different (gold/health for Dungeon World, coin/stress/trauma for Blades in the Dark), I think the unifying resource is character desires. Playing with what the characters want and or need is a huge thing in PbtA in my opinion, and any amount of soft and hard moves can come from that. For some players that's gear, for some wealth, and for some it's relationships or goals.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Monsterhearts has Strings (basically social leverage) and they all have EXP-by-any-other-name.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I might argue that the 6- Make a Move and 7-9 Success, But... is the core back-and-forth in the game, but that might be too high-level and simplified.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

So...

...let's say I'm thinking about writing a new version of the Dungeon World Guide, designed to cover PbtA in general as opposed to just DW.

Assuming I get off my rear end and finish this no promises at all I am a lazy gently caress, what kinds of things do people feel should be included/expanded on this time around? What was missing that would have helped ages ago? What's some non-DW-specific stuff that should be discussed?

I finally had some thoughts on this and here are some topics I think would be good to cover:

Intent: unlike Dungeon World, other PbtA games are often games where a single move can have a huge effect on the state of the fiction. In theory a single roll on a Seize By Force could resolve a war, or just a single fist-fight; it's all down to intent. Establishing what the intent and goals of a move are before rolling the dice is key to avoiding bad feelings or feelings of unfairness.

Partial Success: I feel one of the best ways to judge the tone of a PbtA game is to look at the results of 7-9 rolls. The more harsh or gentle the game, the more harsh or gentle the effects of partial successes. What this means to the MC is don't ignore the effects of 7-9 rolls! This is especially important in AW, where consequences are often determined by the player who rolled and are positive statements -- "you take definite hold of it", "you suffer little harm" -- which means every one they don't choose is a consequence the MC should apply.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

admanb posted:

This is especially important in AW, where consequences are often determined by the player who rolled and are positive statements -- "you take definite hold of it", "you suffer little harm" -- which means every one they don't choose is a consequence the MC should apply.

I've always felt these were things you can apply; it's how you change up difficulty via fictional positioning. Like, if things aren't that serious then maybe not having definite hold of it is going to be as simple as it needing two hands or something, or it might mean the warlord's feral dogs also have a grip on it. They're things you can make a big deal, basically; I don't feel like it's necessary to have them always be a big deal.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Hi! I know the impulse drive guy posts in here. Is there any chance we'll see a version without the hex background? It's going to eat all my ink.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

i never thought i'd see this day

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

xiw posted:

i never thought i'd see this day

What is this from?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Haha what system is that?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014