Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Why there was a 5 month old hyper-v snapshot I will never know.
Had a client call me last year when nothing was responsive. Tried to remote into servers and confirmed, yep, everything was down.

Finally drive over, connect into ESXi and find that the datastore had run out of space. Some how a snapshot had been run 2.5 years prior and had never been deleted and had since eaten up all the available disk space. That was fun trying consolidate 500GB of snapshot. Took like 12 hours if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They're lucky it only took that long.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

So today I was working on straightening out a horrible mess of a fiber setup at one of the larger facilities. There's large amounts of OM2 strung all over nearly at random, looped through various patch panels, also seemingly at random. Example patch panel:

Note the excellent labeling. The minimal labels that at least tell you which loving building they go to were recently added by me as when I started this there was no labeling and no documentation whatsoever. Also lots of those cables come out of the patch panel and are patched right back in. So I figure first thing I am going to do is build the mythical VEE LAN on an aggregation switch in the worst congested distribution point so that we can consolidate our retarded sprawling parallel connections to free up some fibers. First candidate is traced out through no less than four fiber patch panels. It's a low impact connection (internet for a facility in the complex, which can be down for up to a few hours without affecting production) and once I free it up, it will be easy to pull all of the other connections back into the aggregation switch which will be handling all of the internet connectivity, which by the way is already shared but runs separately on different pairs in parallel eating tons of fiber. The freed fibers will be used for some etherchannel and redundant connectivity (did I mention that there is zero redundancy whatsoever in the current setup?)

Pulled the cable, and corporate data goes out for half of the mile or so long facility which isn't part of the network I manage. I'm just trying to clean up the manufacturing networks that serve the robutts and things which I support. Once guy on the other end tells me that people are asking him why all of their ERP and email connectivity died I immediately reverted the change since it was obvious this fiber was not what we thought it was. Some of the network comes back but other pieces stay dead. Now I don't officially support this network since that's another team's responsibility but I broke the loving thing so I figure I should help fix it. Their network guy is on a plane and can't look at it and there is no backup. Helpdesk doesn't have a NOC screen or can tell me anything beyond "So and so in office 491 in Building 3 can't work" etc etc :suicide:. After walking around and looking for a while I figure out the resulting broadcast shitstorm on their beautiful single /16 broadcast domain err-disabled a couple ports on a few random switches which were not set to autorecover. I eventually track the offenders down throughout the facility and reset them, guided by a map and a panicky helpdesk guy on the phone pinging poo poo and guiding me around.

2 hours later, it's all working thank god. I go back and retrace our fiber and locate the fifth patch panel which the local guy forgot existed. 1 connection down, god knows how many to go. Going back tomorrow with the labeller and going ham on the place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I dare you to run an OTDR through it to see how long that nightmare runs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dare you to run an OTDR through it to see how long that nightmare runs.

The first one is about 1100 meters 1000base-lx over OM2 without mode conditioning but that wasn't tested just measuring on a CAD drawing. They didn't know what mode conditioning was when I asked and I'm frankly impressed these links come up at all.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 12, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A flat /16? I'm surprised it didn't cause them trouble before. Why yes I would like my broadcasts to go to 65k other machines!

Also I commiserate with you on the fibre. I love tracking down what port a certain machine is on in this rats nest of a patch panel with no labeling :eng99:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

pr0digal posted:

A flat /16? I'm surprised it didn't cause them trouble before. Why yes I would like my broadcasts to go to 65k other machines!

Also I commiserate with you on the fibre. I love tracking down what port a certain machine is on in this rats nest of a patch panel with no labeling :eng99:

It causes trouble all the time but welp that's not my side of the house I'm just trying to fix the dumpster fire on my side of the fence which is just as bad.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neito posted:

The agency's not allowed to say, but it's "A large educational institution near Cambridge, MA and Allston". So possibly?

That narrows it down to pretty much Harvar. (MIT doesn't have any positions that require A+, and isn't near allston, I guess you could say BU, but that's not really "near cambridge", and Tufts is over next to sommervile).

Enjoy your free master's degree, though from what I hear from people who've worked there recently, IT is a bit more of a shitshow (in the unfun "we want to be trendy with the latest technologies haflassed, CLOUD!" sort of way) than what I remember it to be. I'm not bitter about them scrapping their perfectly functional unix infrastructure and moving email over to hosted exchange, no, not at all

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 12, 2016

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

They're lucky it only took that long.

Tell me about it. On the flip side, we now have a monthly policy for every contracted client to confirm there are no outstanding snapshots that need to be deleted, so that's good I guess.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Welp I just tried to expand a Hyper-V disk that had a snapshot childed to it. Good learning experience as to that poo poo don't work. Repaired the VHD and now merging that poo poo so I can properly expand it. Why there was a 5 month old hyper-v snapshot I will never know. Living the MSP dream boys.

Are you running 2008? I'm 99% sure 2012 won't allow you to do that.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't we just unilaterally decide to stop using loving VGA? It's literally the worst connector possible for something that gets plugged and unplugged a lot, and still everyone insists on using it in conference rooms.

It's 2015. If your laptop doesn't have HDMI or DP you're way overdue for an upgrade.

whoa what happens when my computer can get DPed?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

glowstick party tonight posted:

whoa what happens when my computer can get DPed?

High speed interfacing, baby!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't we just unilaterally decide to stop using loving VGA? It's literally the worst connector possible for something that gets plugged and unplugged a lot, and still everyone insists on using it in conference rooms.

It's 2015. If your laptop doesn't have HDMI or DP you're way overdue for an upgrade.

I have a different problem, outdated projectors without any modern connection and modern expensive laptops that do not play nice with them.

Granted, whenever a person high enough starts complaining it'll get budgeted.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

IndustrialApe posted:

I have a different problem, outdated projectors without any modern connection and modern expensive laptops that do not play nice with them.

Granted, whenever a person high enough starts complaining it'll get budgeted.

Whenever a person high enough throws a shitfit because they didn't scope the conference room before their super important presentation, they show up 2 minutes before starting and can't get it to connect, and why the gently caress hasn't IT fixed this before right this second and what do we pay IT all that money for if they can't fix it now I NEED TO DO THIS PRESENTATION OR OUR BUSINESS CAN'T MAKE MONEY YOU FUCKS

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Conversation of the day:

:v: "What does Infotainment Telekinetics do?"
:confused: "Uh...Advertise with their mind? What are you talking about?"
:v: "It's on this guys' signature."
:confused: "It says System Administrator, IT......."
:v: "Isn't that what IT stands for?"

:psyboom:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Arsten posted:

A new VR game where you punch news reporters in the face

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Frustration of the day (week/month/year): my coworkers being completely unable to do any simple troubleshooting or critical thinking.

Permissions issues on a SAN due to a Windows server creating files that are owned by nobody/nobody on the Mac? Did you stop and think about UID/GID translation? Did you check ACLs? Did you even look at the Windows box and do any testing?

Nope, you decided to just send me the output of an ls and do the digital equivalent of cocking your head like a confused dog.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

Conversation of the day:

The CEO here still refers to my department as "MIS" and sometimes "data processing." :negative:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

I've technically been off for four days now. I'd rather come in on an actual off day to avoid the shitstorm of backlog coming in tomorrow

This.
When my family had to cancelreschedule our Thanksgiving so we could be together, I seaked (snuck?) into work and did ALL THE THINGS!!! for about 12 hours just because I could do them with absolutely no interruptions while getting Christmas-level drunk.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arsten posted:

Conversation of the day:

Gesture-controlled (telekinetics) modern news media (infotainment).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Hyper-V allows you to do that? ESX/vCenter just grays out the option to expand (without telling you why) until you commit/delete the snapshots.

2008r2 box. Let's you blow up the world without so much as a peep.

DigitalMocking posted:

Are you running 2008? I'm 99% sure 2012 won't allow you to do that.

Yes and it certainly won't.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Gesture-controlled (telekinetics) modern news media (infotainment).
I'm with the Schnoodle on this one:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO here still refers to my department as "MIS" and sometimes "data processing." :negative:

Process that data! Do it! By hand on a loom!

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

Only works with string data.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Arsten posted:

I'm with the Schnoodle on this one:

:smug:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Also called "Mass Effect"

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I had one of those. :saddowns:

nullfunction posted:

Only works with string data.

:perfect:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arsten posted:

I had one of those. :saddowns:

Good trick, given it wasn't actually released, just prototyped and demoed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Whenever a person high enough throws a shitfit because they didn't scope the conference room before their super important presentation, they show up 2 minutes before starting and can't get it to connect, and why the gently caress hasn't IT fixed this before right this second and what do we pay IT all that money for if they can't fix it now I NEED TO DO THIS PRESENTATION OR OUR BUSINESS CAN'T MAKE MONEY YOU FUCKS

"How did it work in rehearsal ?"

That got me out from under a $5 million bus once.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Prism posted:

Good trick, given it wasn't actually released.

They've had computer-based knitter looms for awhile.

Edit: Oh. I should click the timg and notice that it's a Nintendo loom. :downs:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Prism posted:

Good trick, given it wasn't actually released.

They tried to keep the release all sewn up, but a few loose ends got out.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arsten posted:

They've had computer-based knitter looms for awhile.

Not the Nintendo one. So nobody had that one. I stand by this pedantry. :colbert:

edit:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Delightful.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Prism posted:

Not the Nintendo one. So nobody had that one. I stand by this pedantry. :colbert:

I did not notice it was a Nintendo. I squinted at the thumbnail and just thought it was a loom connected to a generic 80s computer.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Arsten posted:

I did not notice it was a Nintendo. I squinted at the thumbnail and just thought it was a loom connected to a generic 80s computer.

Fair enough.

The story is that they prototyped one, showed it off at the 1987 Winter Consumer Electronics Show to retailers, and then pretended it had never happened (until an employee of that era scanned in the brochure and posted it to Facebook).

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ticket opened: screen has cash embedded in it

(Can we mod it for other targets? I have a big-rear end list...)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
How about this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02h74L1PmaU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

can you stop weaving such terrible puns? I feel them looming over me somehow

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Elizabethan Error posted:

can you stop weaving such terrible puns? I feel them looming over me somehow

I'm calling for a blanket ban.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Please do the needle.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Maybe we can stop fabricating all these puns so we can all get back into the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
knit one PERL two

• Locked thread