Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

So, there's no Chameleon Robe in the original Tactics? Gonna grind and just brute force his bitch rear end.

EDIT: Found it in Gariland. Guide was saying Lesalia.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Guide was probably talking about "you can steal/move-find this item from a mission here :downs:"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It was a wiki, and it said you could buy it from there. Maybe that's the new version.

Now I'm just worried that monks can't wear it. Would a knight with martial arts work, or should I just use an appropriate weapon?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I feel like the Yell tactic is going to be quicker if you already have it. Even if not it may be worth getting it because it makes the battle really easy. You can also use Accumulate if you have it to boost your attack as well as speed

What I'm curious about is if this is how the game devs actually intended for you to win the fight, since for most people it seems to be the only way to do it

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 9, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Paperhouse posted:

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I feel like the Yell tactic is going to be quicker if you already have it. Even if not it may be worth getting it because it makes the battle really easy. You can also use Accumulate if you have it to boost your attack as well as speed

What I'm curious about is if this is how the game devs actually intended for you to win the fight, since for most people it seems to be the only way to do it

Two Sword and Auto-Potion have done the trick for me in the past.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Two Sword and Auto-Potion have done the trick for me in the past.

This is how I beat it on a recent playthrough. In my first playthrough at release, I think I had sword and board and just got a lucky block or something. I remember it being frustrating but not the road block it is for a lot of people.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
my super-secret tech is getting a game genie and using the infinite health cheat to beat him

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Paperhouse posted:

If you use Ninja with Martial Arts (not hard, it's just 200 Monk points), you can punch him twice to kill him before he moves. Easiest fight in the game.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

some guy on the bus posted:

If you use Ninja with Martial Arts (not hard, it's just 200 Monk points), you can punch him twice to kill him before he moves. Easiest fight in the game.

Except he's got good evasion from the front, so the "easiest fight" might take multiple resets. That trick works best with a barefisted Ninja with Concentrate instead of Martial Arts.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Paperhouse posted:

A spell caster with ample magic boosting equipment could also probably have enough health to tank the lightning stab and then drop a sufficiently powerful Flare/Holy/Summon on him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Matsuno needs to be slapped in the face hard everytime he puts one of those solo fights that gently caress you if you save wrong.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Tae posted:

Matsuno needs to be slapped in the face hard everytime he puts one of those solo fights that gently caress you if you save wrong.

Can we extend this rule to Kickstarters?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
FF9 looks really loving good on PC. Holy poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
So I want to ask, in my quest to play the Final Fantasy games I missed growing up (except 4 and 8, gently caress 4 and 8), what's the best modern way to buy and play Tactics? Most every mainline Final Fantasy is on Steam which works great for me, but not Tactics; to my knowledge the only modern-platform release is on iOS, and I don't have an Apple device.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I thought it was supposed to be on Android, otherwise only on PSP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's on Android as well, sadly the best way to play it it that and put up with touch controls, a hacked PSP or emulator or emulate the PS1 version which had a, uh, variable translation.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

It's on Android as well, sadly the best way to play it it that and put up with touch controls, a hacked PSP or emulator or emulate the PS1 version which had a, uh, variable translation.

You can patch the PS1 version to have wotl translation but there isn't much reason to do so when you can just emulate the PSP version.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The PSX version had readjusted JP costs for a lot of stuff, and it's a lot easier to buy your own party so your healers have good Zodiac compatibility with your other units, so there's that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

PS3 is always a good way to get your Final Fantasy on.

Final Fantasy Tactics update: Made Wiegraf trivial with chameleon robe, feather boots, and dual wielding swords. Now it's the second fight with all the summons and dark holy destroying my rear end mercilessly.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Open Marriage Night posted:

PS3 is always a good way to get your Final Fantasy on.

Final Fantasy Tactics update: Made Wiegraf trivial with chameleon robe, feather boots, and dual wielding swords. Now it's the second fight with all the summons and dark holy destroying my rear end mercilessly.

This is why the Ramza as squire tactic is so useful. After you bump your speed and strength up so much that Wiegraf turns into a fine pink mist when you simply touch him, the demon fight that immediately follows is trivialized as well.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Half of my battles in FFX end in two rounds because Aurons stone sword one shots everything. Its kind of shocking when he kills a 50 foot sand worm in one hit by turning it into a statue. It was also sad when he got confused and murdered Rikku like that.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Half of my battles in FFX end in two rounds because Aurons stone sword one shots everything. Its kind of shocking when he kills a 50 foot sand worm in one hit by turning it into a statue. It was also sad when he got confused and murdered Rikku like that.

confusion is the devil's curse in FFX, when you have the celestial weapons

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My favorite thing is when Auron overkills the 50 foot sandworm and it goes flying over the horizon.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

My favorite thing is when Auron overkills the 50 foot sandworm and it goes flying over the horizon.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 11, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

It's a crying shame Thrust Kick can't Eject opponents like the robots can due to a programming error, otherwise you could have Kimahri KICK a sandworm over the horizon.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

yesssss. I looked on youtube and couldn't find it. I really need to get back to my replay of FFX/x-2 remaster, I have really only played through it that first time about 10 years ago. It's totally my poo poo, I love it so much. Just the overall style and feel I suppose.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

FF9 looks really loving good on PC. Holy poo poo.
Right at the start of the game, in the battles on the stage, there's these two flames in torches in the background, and they super well-animated and look better than basically everything else on the screen, but they also wreck my framerate, and I'm super curious as to how that ended up in the game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I want a FF9 remake.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pureauthor posted:

I want a FF9 remake.

The character models look so good in the PC version (compared to the original) that I'm happy with this currently.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Imagine an alternate universe where remakes of FF7, FF8 and FF9 were made for the 3DS in the same style that DQ7 and DQ8 have been.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Imagine an alternate universe where remakes of FF7, FF8 and FF9 were made for the 3DS in the same style that DQ7

no please no

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Imagine an alternate universe where remakes of FF7, FF8 and FF9 were made for the 3DS in the same style that DQ7 and DQ8 have been.

That would be great. It seemed like that might happen for a while. I kept hoping they would announce DS remakes of 5 and 6 after 4, but that never happened and we ended up getting the IOS revamps instead. My number one wish would just be for a War of the Lions-style update for 7 with a new English translation and some bonus content.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

no please no

Tbf they're all better than DQ7 started out.

Even FF8 is better than that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Randallteal posted:

That would be great. It seemed like that might happen for a while. I kept hoping they would announce DS remakes of 5 and 6 after 4, but that never happened and we ended up getting the IOS revamps instead.

For what it's worth, soon after the VII remake was announced the same complaint was voiced about why they weren't doing that for V and VI first, by Nomura. V is beloved in Japan, and within Square-Enix's development team, so it's a fair question.

My assumption has always been that they were doing that, but the project mutated into Bravely Default. I'm okay with that if it's the case.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bravely Default was by a different company, only published by Square.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

For what it's worth, soon after the VII remake was announced the same complaint was voiced about why they weren't doing that for V and VI first, by Nomura. V is beloved in Japan, and within Square-Enix's development team, so it's a fair question.

My assumption has always been that they were doing that, but the project mutated into Bravely Default. I'm okay with that if it's the case.

As excited by FF7R HD FF5 is basically the best thing SE could ever make if they kept the GBA translation. Imagine HD KARLBOSS

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Tae posted:

Bravely Default was by a different company, only published by Square.

I just checked, it was apparently made in collaboration with Square, and shared some of the development team of the FFIII/IV DS remakes (most obviously Akihiko Yoshida). Not all the developers, granted; the DS remakes were done by Matrix Studio, but judging by the fact they're also credited for the V and VI smartphone ports that talent probably isn't with them, at least not anymore.

I don't have any concrete proof, but I do still think it's likely that Default started as an FFV remake. There's just enough evidence in the connections to the III and IV remakes and what it takes from V in both gameplay and story ways that it makes sense it started life that way, although it might've changed from that before it even left planning.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Randallteal posted:

a War of the Lions-style update for 7 with a new English translation

The magick soul of our gaia is nigh extinguished, Xloude Strjffe!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The White Dragon posted:

The magick soul of our gaia is nigh extinguished, Xloude Strjffe!

I will be forever saddened the world was robbed of Iscar Matthias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I will be forever saddened the world was robbed of Iscar Matthias.

R.I.P Iscar Matthias

We shall never know how cool and good and totally not a mary sue character you could have been.