Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

This show got renewed.

How the gently caress?

Did not expect that. Well, it's certainly going to be a very different show - I wonder if they can salvage anything from this season's trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I do find Crane charming and fun even after so many tedious plotlines, but a lot of it was good chemistry with Abby. I'll give season four a shot, but I'd appreciate it if they'd come up with a coherent loving plan. It seemed like they were going to work through the Four Horsemen, and then up the quasi-Biblical apocalyptic food chain, but then got completely derailed.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I want to know what the gently caress they intend to do now they're down a Witness. There has to be two, right?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm more eager to see Wayward Pines come back than this show, and I REALLY thought that one wasn't coming back. I'll give it a shot, but they have to really, really thread the needle to make up for the past 2 seasons and the loss of Abbie. I almost consider the show to be unwatchable without her. :colbert:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Abbie was the heart of the show, I can't bring myself to watch it without her.

And knowing how they treated Nicole (sidelining her character in favor of white love interests, not even asking her to do DVD commentary, her only finding out about cast changes and major plot points on twitter) I hope Nicole Beharie can move on to something better. She's a Juliard trained actress and gorgeous to boot, it's a god drat crime if casting directors aren't knocking down her door.

But of course shes also a black woman in Hollywood, so...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Astrofig posted:

I want to know what the gently caress they intend to do now they're down a Witness. There has to be two, right?

That's why they said the Witnesses are from bloodlines of witnesses. There ARE always two, so when Abby died presumably another potential witness somewhere was automatically activated.

Basically Witnesses work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer rules.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Of all the shows they should have put out of its misery, this one should have been it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Cancelling both The Grinder and Grandfathered yet renewing this shambling corpse? I have no idea what Fox is up to. Either way, I'm out, I'm not watching S4.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Astrofig posted:

I assume there's now another one out there, and this season will be peppered with "WE HAVE TO FIND HER BEFORE ***THEY*** DO" and "OH NO ***THEY*** FOUND HER NOW WE HAVE TO RESCUE HER" and oh god do i even want to find out

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah literally the ONLY thing that could get me to watch this next season is if they somehow retcon, say, mid-season 2 all the way up to the end of season 3 and it turns out it was All A Dream and we get Abbie back. Her and Crane's chemistry was the lifeblood of the show; without it it's going to be a crippled shadow of what it was.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Astrofig posted:

I want to know where the gently caress this secret Washington group of monster hunters were when Abbie and Crane were trying to save the world in the previous seasons! :horse:

But happy it was renewed, will watch again.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

Abbie was the heart of the show, I can't bring myself to watch it without her.

And knowing how they treated Nicole (sidelining her character in favor of white love interests, not even asking her to do DVD commentary, her only finding out about cast changes and major plot points on twitter) I hope Nicole Beharie can move on to something better. She's a Juliard trained actress and gorgeous to boot, it's a god drat crime if casting directors aren't knocking down her door.

But of course shes also a black woman in Hollywood, so...

Jeez, that level of treatment is very reminiscent of Sliders. It's even the same fuckin' network. Apparently Beharie wanted off the show even before the third season entered production though, so it might be retaliation for that.

edit: After looking for the DVD commentary quote (which happened March 2015) I came across an incident where Beharie apparently bit the hand of her stylist in 2013? The only place covering it that isn't a blog is Star Magazine though.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 14, 2016

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Binary Logic posted:

I want to know where the gently caress this secret Washington group of monster hunters were when Abbie and Crane were trying to save the world in the previous seasons! :horse:

But happy it was renewed, will watch again.
Well, perhaps Washington instructed them not to contact Crane until after his meeting with Ross in the catacombs, under the assumption that interfering earlier might create a paradox. I can 100% believe that Franklin would have been freaking out over causality issues, Doc Brown style. (please give us that scene) Seems like the most reasonable explanation they could give.

I'm looking forward to season 4. It seems like they just sort of ran out of ideas for their original premise after about a season and a half... but so much will have changed at the start of the next season, it's basically a new premise now. I'm definitely willing to give it another shot, maybe the writers will have more ideas to keep this version going. At least enough for a solid season, I'm hoping.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

John Noble is confirmed to be returning in the new season.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/sleepy-hollow-john-noble-season-4/

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh yeah I forgot this got renewed.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

GreenNight posted:

John Noble is confirmed to be returning in the new season.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/sleepy-hollow-john-noble-season-4/

I was going to write, "How, he's dead", but gently caress this show and continuity.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

spookygonk posted:

I was going to write, "How, he's dead", but gently caress this show and continuity.

People being dead hasn't stopped them from coming back, it's the entire conceit of the show.

On the other hand, this show is dead to me, we'll always have season 1's wild ride.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

kefkafloyd posted:

On the other hand, this show is dead to me, we'll always have season 1's wild ride.

Season one was glorious television.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm still very confused by how, exactly, Sleepy Hollow got a fourth season. I can only assume some sort of demonic pact was involved.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I guess Noble completed his Elementary arc and is now free.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LorneReams posted:

I guess Noble completed his Elementary arc and is now free.

Yeah he can come back for guest apperences, but he is stuck in a pretty hosed up situation

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

:yeah:

Add me to the multitudes who are continually surprised to be reminded that Sleepy Hollow was renewed for a fourth season. Especially after being so confident that the show would never get a second season when it premiered because it was too good for Fox. :negative:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

nine-gear crow posted:

:yeah:

Add me to the multitudes who are continually surprised to be reminded that Sleepy Hollow was renewed for a fourth season. Especially after being so confident that the show would never get a second season when it premiered because it was too good for Fox. :negative:

Oh boy did Fox ever show us wrong :v:

I'm not even sure if I'm going to watch this season. I mean, I love Tom Mison, I love John Noble, but the fact that Nicole Beharie isn't on the show anymore makes me really upset since the Abbie/Ichabod banter was at least half of the reason I kept watching the show after the first season. I'd honestly they rather had quietly canceled the show after the third season finale.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
I still can't figure out how the writers screwed this up so badly. All they had to do was have Ichabod and Abby fight increasingly powerful demons, with plenty of side plots, until they got to Satan himself in the series final season, add Horsemen as appropriate. I mean demons are already ranked and everything.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd almost say they had no faith they'd get a second season and blew their load on season one, but who goes into working on a show expecting a near immediate cancellation?

It's not like season 2 is all bad either, there's some great episodes early on. I feel like a big part of season 2's problems come from Katrina's plot line, which is just a jumbled mess. They want to make her relevant to the plot, but a lot of her scenes are her being at Abraham's (and dear god that plot moved slow), arguing with Abbie and Ichabod, or slowly turning towards the dark side.

And while killing Moloch in the mid season finale was bold and a fun note to end it on, all of a sudden they're out their big overarching villain. It really feels like they wrote up to that point but had no idea what to do or where to go after that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

NeuroticLich posted:

And while killing Moloch in the mid season finale was bold and a fun note to end it on, all of a sudden they're out their big overarching villain. It really feels like they wrote up to that point but had no idea what to do or where to go after that.

violetdragon posted:

All they had to do was have Ichabod and Abby fight increasingly powerful demons, with plenty of side plots, until they got to Satan himself in the series final season, add Horsemen as appropriate. I mean demons are already ranked and everything.

Not an empty quote.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

violetdragon posted:

I still can't figure out how the writers screwed this up so badly. All they had to do was have Ichabod and Abby fight increasingly powerful demons, with plenty of side plots, until they got to Satan himself in the series final season, add Horsemen as appropriate. I mean demons are already ranked and everything.

I feel its due to the rating that they were forced to change their original plan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They shouldn't bave killed Moloch so early. He was legitimately creepy, and they should have incapacitated him for a while at most. I wss reasonably haply through sesson 2. Season 3 with its Pandora poo poo just didn't appeal to me and I've still got the last 3 episodes sitting in my DVR because I already know what happens and didn't really care where it was headed.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
This show is so uninteresting now that the OP still hasn't bothered to update the thread title.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

This show is so uninteresting now that the OP still hasn't bothered to update the thread title.

I like to think it's more "hey, remember season 2? When we still had hope?"

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Rockin Orthodontist posted:

I like to think it's more "hey, remember season 2? When we still had hope?"

Or "Reminding Bones viewers that, hey, the writing could be worse..."

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

NeuroticLich posted:

I feel like a big part of season 2's problems come from Katrina's plot line, which is just a jumbled mess.

That's when I dropped out of the show. I saw this topic pop up into the front page of TVIV and went "gently caress this show got a THIRD season?" And now a forth without Abby? Hahahaha just put a bullet in it. This is like 3rd season Millennium all over again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was pretty clear that the showrunners had no idea what exactly they wanted this show to be outside of the first season. Character motivations and jobs would just get shuffled around. They would add and drop people from the show with little rhyme or reason. Or how this was a show where the premise involved the Horsemen of the apocalypse and they never actually got around to doing all four before dropping it for something else.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

This is like 3rd season Millennium all over again.

Oh my god that is exactly right, that is why this is so depressing :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guess what is apparently back tonight! I know that personally I have seen zero advertising for this season. The description for tonight's episode does have one silver lining

"Columbia"
Crane and Jenny navigate life after the death of Abbie Mills; Crane teams with an unlikely partner.

Lyndie Greenwood is apparently still on the show!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seems like every season Ichabod's hair gets shorter and shorter.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Everyone remembers that famous statement John Wilkes Booth made after assassinating Lincoln: "Skree skree skree"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So far this really is a lot of "and here's this thing exactly like in previous seasons, but different!"

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Writers: "Well poo poo maybe killing off our female lead was a bad idea!!!!111"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

You know what? It's silly and fairly trash, but I'm on board.

• Locked thread