Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regy Rusty posted:

AAI-5 is so much better than 4-4 it's not even close

I seriously want to know the mental gymnastics you had to go through to reach this conclusion. 4-4 at least has an interesting premise that is floundered upon reaching the Mason system. I-5 just loving sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This thread is becoming a clear division between sane people and people who think AA4 is good.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I-5 has Alba and the part where Larry argues for his own conviction for no reason at all.

I mean, it's still better than a final trial of 2 testimonies but the confrontation with Alba and the random Mask de Masque 2 subplot really sours me on it. Even if the Yatagarasu thing with Badd and Yew is actually pretty decent.

I wish Badd could show up again, I liked that guy. Totally underrated character imo. Also curious if the Yatagarasu will ever show up in a future AA at all if they haven't already, since it's possible to back-engineer characters as part of the triad of Kay and whoever else.

Lurdiak posted:

This thread is becoming a clear division between sane people and people who think AA4 is good.

I haven't played AA4 in years. When I think back on AA4 there's certain scenes and characters I fondly recall (Phoenix meeting Trucy, Eldoon's noodles, the Kitakis), but other than the overarching plot I can't quite remember the cases. Wait, I just remembered OG Crackers. That and Kristoph Gavin terrifies me.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 12, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Lurdiak posted:

It's a division between people that think AA4 is bad and people that think AAI is worse.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

AAI's biggest flaw (besides not having court sections) is a mediocre translation job that failed to inject most characters with any personality. It isn't a bad game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

AlphaKretin posted:

Ace Attorney is good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

I seriously want to know the mental gymnastics you had to go through to reach this conclusion. 4-4 at least has an interesting premise that is floundered upon reaching the Mason system. I-5 just loving sucks.

There's no mental gymnastics. I like the mystery in AAI-5, I like the villain, I like how long it is and how satisfying it is to finally take him down. I agree that the final confrontation isn't AS satisfying as the earlier one with Yew, but I still enjoy it a lot.

I don't like how 4-4 ends in an incredibly disappointing and brief final confrontation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

AAI's biggest flaw (besides not having court sections) is a mediocre translation job that failed to inject most characters with any personality. It isn't a bad game.

None of the cases are interesting, it's got the worst villain of any AA game, it introduces the main "rival" too late and only has him in 2 cases despite being one of the better written characters in the game, turns Gumshoe into a one-note joke and really cements Larry as a bad character, and case 4 actively hurts Edgeworth's backstory with him being a just slightly more smug and pompous version of his current self rather than an rear end in a top hat.

On the other hand Yew and Badd are cool and I wish they were in a better AA game (Well Badd is now that I think about it), and I can respect it for trying to tie each case into a single story in a way other AA games hadn't. It was still not good though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

it's got the worst villain of any AA game

??????

Quercus Alba is pretty decent. He's certainly more interesting than THE PHANTOM or loving Kristoph, or uh, what's her name from PW vs L.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Apollo Justice had the best investigation segments in the series as a whole, as well as the best case 1. Case 4-4 was solid as heck until the final trial day, which belly flopped like that olympic diver. It's a real shame it didn't stick the landing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Apollo Justice has a great:

Case 1

Apollo Justice has a bad:

Case 2, Case 3, Case 4, prosecutor, mentor character, character arc for the protagonist.

Also, large parts of what makes case 1 interesting are later made bad when the game fails to account for the motivations of the major players in the case. It's a case that raises interesting questions the game never gets around to answering.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Regy Rusty posted:

There's no mental gymnastics. I like the mystery in AAI-5, I like the villain, I like how long it is and how satisfying it is to finally take him down. I agree that the final confrontation isn't AS satisfying as the earlier one with Yew, but I still enjoy it a lot.

I don't like how 4-4 ends in an incredibly disappointing and brief final confrontation.

It isn't satisfying though??? Like I can remember how pretty much every case in the series goes but I can't be assed to remember how you break though the extraterritorial rights, and really, I don't care.

I guess the best we can do is disagree. We're already arguing about which worst final case is better.

e:

Lurdiak posted:

Case 1

Case 2, Case 3, Case 4, prosecutor, mentor character, character arc for the protagonist.

Also, large parts of what makes case 1 interesting are later made bad when the game fails to account for the motivations of the major players in the case. It's a case that raises interesting questions the game never gets around to answering.

AJ's case 1 was loving baller as hell, and I'd argue that case 2, while not great, is at least a typical case 2. (Not all case 2's can be 6-2)

They lost the plot starting at 4-3, I'll agree.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 12, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

But AAI brought us "Nnghooohhhh!"

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think Lang gets Alba fired. :geno:

Pro-I: Lang's arc is alright

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

??????

Quercus Alba is pretty decent. He's certainly more interesting than THE PHANTOM or loving Kristoph, or uh, what's her name from PW vs L.

Alba is super generic, I can't describe the guy with anything I wouldn't say for like Von Karma. What is there to him? He's secretly evil, and also smug and obnoxious I guess. With Kristoph I can at least point to pettiness or something as the core of his character , and despite his final confrontation being a testimony at least he shows up as a vaguely important character before hand.

You barely get to interact with Alba when he's got his frail old man act going on, and he's only like an actual part of the case in its final 3rd. Where the entire thing is just slowly grinding through his list of alibis and defences in a manner that gets you no where half the time. Like it's treated as a big deal when Lang gets rid of his diplomatic immunity, as if it's time for you to finally nail him, and then it goes for like 4 more testimonies.

And even though the Phantom literally doesn't have a personality, the confrontation with him is decently personal for a good percentage of the cast (everyone except the guy you're playing as really). The person with the most personal connection to Alba is Kay because of the whole Yatagarasu thing, and that plotline has it's big emotional conclusion with Yew's capture. Alba's just a poorly thought out villain I think.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

Case 1

Case 2 is good and case 4 is like three quarters good stuff. Even case 3 at least has good investigation segments.

Klavier is poo poo, but hobo Nick and Kristoph are cool.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I played I and AJ back to back and preferred I by far, just to chip in.

I at least had recognisable characters from the past 3 games in it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Case 2 is good and case 4 is like three quarters good stuff. Even case 3 at least has good investigation segments.

I'm a bigger fan of AJ than many I feel, but I don't think I can say case 4 is three quarters good. Like, I think Day 1 is really solid. But the flashback trial, the Mason system (outside of the interactions between Nick and Trucy), and the final trial, are all not great.

AlphaKretin posted:

I played I and AJ back to back and preferred I by far, just to chip in.

I at least had recognisable characters from the past 3 games in it.

I'm probably a bit weird, but I almost think AA could benefit from having less returning characters than it usually does.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm probably a bit weird, but I almost think AA could benefit from having less returning characters than it usually does.

Time to meet the newest member of the Toneido Troupe, Uendi Toneido. What do you mean you don't like rakugo!? Whippersnapper! Back in my day people treated performing artists with respect and admiration, not like nowadays with everyone trying to pull the wool over your eyes with their fake smiles and cheesy taglines, and where do you think you're going don't think you can just leave and not have to pay for the ticket you scoundrel I'll have you know that

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think Alba is worse than the circus love triangle.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AAI is better than Apollo Justice simply because its protagonist rules:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I-5 has Ambassador Palaeno, who is the kindest, most lovable, helpful witness in the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC30f2mf-94

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Terper posted:

I-5 has Ambassador Palaeno, who is the kindest, most lovable, helpful witness in the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC30f2mf-94

He's great because his animations all make him look super sleazy but he's actually just a really nice guy

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kazy posted:

https://www.facebook.com/capcomunity/photos/a.40940424959.17792.6938264959/10150678495914960/?type=3

Guess you'll be able to play AA4 soon without having to find an old DS copy. Let's hope it's a better port than the Trilogy was. :v:
I just ordered a AA4 (new/sealed) on Amazon last week. It's not hard to track down.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's super splitting hairs because I do think it's still kind of mediocre, but yeah I'd give the nod to AAI1 over AA4. There's nothing inherently "bad" about AAI1 to me, it's just kind of boring at times and the final case drags (but still has some decent parts!!). There's very little redeemable about any of the AA4 cases outside of the first one, and the only real nice thing I can say about the game is that it has good music.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

the final case drags (but still has some decent parts!!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghg1vq7Wsd4

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Regy Rusty posted:

He's great because his animations all make him look super sleazy but he's actually just a really nice guy

Palaeno is great for sure. Surprising and amazing that he was never once treated as a possible suspect or anything. Just 100% helpful the entire time without a single shred of doubt.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A witness: "No I don't want to tell you what I know, gently caress you!!"
Paleano: "Please here have my bank account and full access to all my resources I hope it will help you out, also please visit our lovely country sometime we would be overjoyed and I'm sure you would enjoy yourself :)"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nothing more disappointing than thinking you're clicking on a JoJo 4 reference only to be treated to what I can only guess is something from Death Note.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you're ever called as a witness to a trial, just ask yourself, WWPD?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite part about case 5 of AAI is how everyone pitches in to try and give Edgey just a little bit more leverage and time to try and overcome this dude who's legally unassailable. It's a big team effort, and even the spirit of Nick is invoked. But it still feels like you're the one who took the big bad down, as opposed to, say, Case 1-2, which has someone else solve it for you.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

irlZaphod posted:

I just ordered a AA4 (new/sealed) on Amazon last week. It's not hard to track down.

"""new"""

I've bought "sealed" DS games on Amazon before, and it still had an old save game on it and the Nintendo Club code was used.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Almost the entirety of the first case 2 trial is Wesley the Panty Snatcher, case 2 is not Good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I love ""new"" games on Amazon, I've gotten more than one that didn't even fit in my DS

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I once bought a factory sealed copy of Killer7 for Gamecube on Amazon. It was actually factory sealed.

The secret is that you should only buy from sellers who'd be pissed off if you gave them a bad rating.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Name me a better first case.

AAI2-1.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Name me a worse final case.

5-5

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Name me a better first case.

AA3's

You get to play as loving Mia Fey and you do the same thing that happens in AA4 but better

The final case of AA5 is why I like it more than AA6 though

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Having the assistant be the killer is not a good plot twist when you don't even know the assistant at all. The drama in 4-1 fell completely flat to me because of that, and felt more like a cheap twist.

Also the part where Phoenix forged evidence. That was some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I didn't like Investigations. Like, at all. AA4 had the best OST, and AA3 was kind of mediocre all around, especially the final case. The best final case is a tie between AA2 and AA6. Fulbright is annoying and I didn't like him.

Larry sucks and I hope we get to see other characters like Franzy and Adrian again. Also Athena is my favorite out of all the defense attorneys and I'd prefer her being the main protagonist for AA7, with Phoenix only taking a mentor role.

Edit: I take that back, Faraday is the one good part of AAI.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 12, 2016