Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There are only two types of System Administrators.

People who automate tasks, and people who have their tasks automated out from under them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

anthonypants posted:

I'm going to guess you're running this on OS X? find has slightly different parameters on Linux. What happens when you run find -d . -name "* "? If you get a string like, './filename ' then your sed string is going to get rid of that first slash and you'll probably end up with something like '. - filename'

This was going to be my first question as well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There are only two types of System Administrators.

People who automate tasks, and people who have their tasks automated out from under them.
I've advocated this position for a number of years, but this is also gonna change in unpredictable ways once people start migrating to actual platforms instead of weird ad-hoc collections of servers that they need to work hard to keep in sync

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

I've advocated this position for a number of years, but this is also gonna change in unpredictable ways once people start migrating to actual platforms instead of weird ad-hoc collections of servers that they need to work hard to keep in sync

Maybe but so many devs still have their software run on whatever VM and IaaS is a thing.

Or do you mean like hybrid Exchange and SharePoint? :stonklol:

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

anthonypants posted:

I'm going to guess you're running this on OS X? find has slightly different parameters on Linux. What happens when you run find -d . -name "* "? If you get a string like, './filename ' then your sed string is going to get rid of that first slash and you'll probably end up with something like '. - filename'

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This was going to be my first question as well.

Well this actually already helped me fix my first mistake (of mimicking code that I'm not familiar with):

One of the examples I referenced was for correcting trailing spaces only, hence "* " and not just "*". I also reworked part of the sed command and retyped the script entirely, because apparently copy-pasting it into TextEdit (then editing it) fucks up newline breaks too. This is where I'm at:

code:
#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'
for file in "$(find -d . -name "*")"
do
  target="$(echo "$file" | sed 's_^[[:space:]]*__;s_[[:space:]]*$__;s_[[:cntrl:]]*__;s_[\\/":<>|\*?+]*_\( - \)_')"
  if [ "$file" != "$target" ]; then
      if [ -e "$target" ]; then
          echo "WARNING: $target already exists, file not renamed"
      else
          echo "Renaming $file to $target"
          mv "$file" "$target"
      fi
  fi
done
And now this is happening:

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 12, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Maybe but so many devs still have their software run on whatever VM and IaaS is a thing.

Or do you mean like hybrid Exchange and SharePoint? :stonklol:
More stuff like Mesos, Kubernetes, Cloud Foundry, etc. and their hosted equivalents. Serverless (Lambda, etc.) is also worth watching as the technology matures.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My job has developers and we (the sys admins) have been strictly told we're not to write powershell scripts, to pass that work to the devs. Yeah, gently caress that, I write the script, then give it to them for notes/pointers on what I did wrong.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

Well this actually already helped me fix my first mistake (of mimicking code that I'm not familiar with):

One of the examples I referenced was for correcting trailing spaces only, hence "* " and not just "*". I also reworked part of the sed command and retyped the script entirely, because apparently copy-pasting it into TextEdit (then editing it) fucks up newline breaks too. This is where I'm at:

code:
#!/bin/bash

IFS=$'\n'
for file in "$(find -d . -name "*")"
do
  target="$(echo "$file" | sed 's_^[[:space:]]*__;s_[[:space:]]*$__;s_[[:cntrl:]]*__;s_[\\/":<>|\*?+]*_\( - \)_')"
  if [ "$file" != "$target" ]; then
      if [ -e "$target" ]; then
          echo "WARNING: $target already exists, file not renamed"
      else
          echo "Renaming $file to $target"
          mv "$file" "$target"
      fi
  fi
done
And now this is happening:

Okay, so the first thing you're going to want to do is take the asterisks out and replace those with plus signs. A plus sign will match one or more things, which is what you want, but an asterisk will match zero or more, which is dangerous. You may want to escape the plus sign in that last block, but your testing should be able to tell you whether they're getting matched or not. You should also reconsider using [[:cntrl:]], since it matches against newlines. If you have like, tabs or null characters, you may want to list those out instead (\t and \0, respectively).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MF_James posted:

My job has developers and we (the sys admins) have been strictly told we're not to write powershell scripts, to pass that work to the devs. Yeah, gently caress that, I write the script, then give it to them for notes/pointers on what I did wrong.

If your company's devs have time to write random system administration scripts instead of, like, features for your product that make the company money, they probably need to start laying some off because :wtc:

How is a PM letting those tasks anywhere near their devs' ticket queue?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Docjowles posted:

If your company's devs have time to write random system administration scripts instead of, like, features for your product that make the company money, they probably need to start laying some off because :wtc:

How is a PM letting those tasks anywhere near their devs' ticket queue?

We aren't a software company, but do have some internal apps written etc.

This is by order of the owner.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

nm this should be in another thread

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 12, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MF_James posted:

We aren't a software company, but do have some internal apps written etc.

This is by order of the owner.

Ah ok. That brings it down from incomprehensible to "Just seems like a bad setup in 2016" heh.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Ah ok. That brings it down from incomprehensible to "Just seems like a bad setup in 2016" heh.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was relegated to larger things and I could script out dumb little poo poo, but nope, everything is supposed to go to them. I'm cool with the lead dev (he has 2 lackies as well) and I told him what the deal is and he's not going to say poo poo, I've honestly done a bunch outside of work too because I like it and need to learn it to move forward in my career.

*edit*

I'm fairly chummy with him because I'm the only other person (except the owner) that was a Comp Sci guy, so I do have programming background and don't write absolutely obnoxious stuff. We've had a few good laughs at horrible poo poo we come across.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 12, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vulture Culture posted:

Ten years from now, I'm going to be desperately holding onto my job and all the younger guys are going to be saying:
There's two types of system administrators, people who automate tasks, and people who implement hypernanoconverged ur-platforms that make automation unnecessary.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Ten years from now, I'm going to be desperately holding onto my job and all the younger guys are going to be saying:
There's two types of system administrators, people who automate tasks, and people who implement hypernanoconverged ur-platforms that make automation unnecessary.

Yep, gotta keep up or suffer the same fate.

I'm already working on plans for a new hypernanoconverged ur-platform multi-dimensional quantum string cluster.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't pull a DAF and prioritize work over Christmas and family stuff. Please. You're all better than that even though I am regularly and aggravatingly incredulous as poo poo in this thread.

I really wouldn't care about working on Christmas, but one of my PMs recently suggested making me travel the week before and after Thanksgiving. So I spitefully took both weeks off.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

PBS posted:

Yep, gotta keep up or suffer the same fate.

I'm already working on plans for a new hypernanoconverged ur-platform multi-dimensional quantum string cluster.

No more troubleshooting, just route to the universe where the network was set up for what you need in the first place.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

No more troubleshooting, just route to the universe where the network was set up for what you need in the first place.

Sounds like you're using inverted nega-containers. Pretty good idea if you want to be on the cutting edge of five years ago.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't pull a DAF and prioritize work over Christmas and family stuff. Please. You're all better than that even though I am regularly and aggravatingly incredulous as poo poo in this thread.

I don't choose work over family or any day I care about. I don't care about Christmas, so it's not a big deal for me. I get plenty of other days off I can take when I need to.

In essence though, I agree with you, people need to balance home and work life properly. If working Christmas isn't for you, then working at a ski resort (or probably any hospitality place) probably isn't for you, either.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
I wonder if working over Christmas is an age thing ?

years ago when I was in my 20s, I took as much time off as I could and generally went to the pub every day or visited friends and went to pubs with them.

now I'm slightly over 40 I don't mind working over Christmas, as it's usually quiet and I get to do all the housekeeping jobs that I usually don't have time for, or just dick about playing games.
I still go to the pub to see friends, but it's the people I meet up with most weeks anyway, so it's not as 'special' as everyone coming 'home' for Christmas used top be.

However, this year, for the first time, we are closing between xmas eve and jan 2nd, which comes out of our holiday. It's a potential double edged sword as I'll get time off (yay!) but potentially will have to do on call for no money(non-yay :/). Nearer the time I'll be getting clarification about this, as I don't like working for free.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm 36, and I used to volunteer to work Christmas when I was in my 20s.

But I'm Jewish, so you know. Whatever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

spiny posted:

I wonder if working over Christmas is an age thing ?

How old do you think I am??!

It's not an age thing at all, it's just a different values thing. I work with a lot of older folks and they're as far away from work possible for holidays. Age doesn't have anything to do with wanting to take time off, or having work-life balance, etc.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

How old do you think I am??!

It's not an age thing at all, it's just a different values thing. I work with a lot of older folks and they're as far away from work possible for holidays. Age doesn't have anything to do with wanting to take time off, or having work-life balance, etc.

I think it's more that Christmas doesn't mean much if you're over the age of like 20, don't have kids, or aren't Christian. Then it's actually a great time to work because there's nothing going on. You can bank the time for something else.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When I was younger I had no problem working through holidays. Especially at poo poo retail jobs where volunteering to work extra holiday shifts meant you could turn $11/hour into $27/hour.

These days I have a wife and son and take as much time off as I can.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

psydude posted:

I think it's more that Christmas doesn't mean much if you're over the age of like 20, don't have kids, or aren't Christian. Then it's actually a great time to work because there's nothing going on. You can bank the time for something else.

Speak for yourself dude. Me and a lot of my friends, we're over 20, don't have kids, and are not Christian, and all loving love Christmas and the entire Christmas season.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

psydude posted:

I'm 25 and still celebrate Christmas with my family. It is nice.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speak for yourself dude. Me and a lot of my friends, we're over 20, don't have kids, and are not Christian, and all loving love Christmas and the entire Christmas season.

Americans, Clam. If we don't like something, everything even tangentially related has to be thrown out (often in the most obvious and boisterous way), too. Nuance is hard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's almost as if... different people value different things. *GASP*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Arsten posted:

Americans, Clam. If we don't like something, everything even tangentially related has to be thrown out (often in the most obvious and boisterous way), too. Nuance is hard.

Welp. Christmas is a joyful and pretty and giving and wonderful time of the year for non-christians too, be more happy with life IT thread!

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

It's almost as if... different people value different things. *GASP*

Does not compute.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

The Fool posted:

When I was younger I had no problem working through holidays. Especially at poo poo retail jobs where volunteering to work extra holiday shifts meant you could turn $11/hour into $27/hour.

These days I have a wife and son and take as much time off as I can.

This.

Except for Christmas since it's my birthday. All other holidays I didn't mind.

Now I try to take of as much time as I can.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trash Trick posted:

I'm 25 and still celebrate Christmas with my family. It is nice.

My brother's mother in law is hyper religious and makes them go to NJ for church (despite my brother and his wife being agnostics), so my family typically gets together a week later for merriment.

It's fine by me because I take Christmas to get stuff done around the house and relax. Now Thanksgiving, that's my one holiday you don't gently caress with.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CLAM DOWN posted:

is it the time of the year you run around bragging about getting another phone

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

No, Clam is just constantly in awe that people have different experiences, values, and opinions from him.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
As a MSP we have service contracts for certain clients that necessitate someone being relatively sober incase things go sideways. As such I try to keep a few people on the payroll that think the best part about Christmas is its another day off to play video games and maybe field a few phone calls at double time. Our clients are happy, my guys are happy and I'm happy.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 12, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Shout-out to all the goons who have been coming out of the woodwork in the Hangops Slack the last few days :c00l:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

Shout-out to all the goons who have been coming out of the woodwork in the Hangops Slack the last few days :c00l:

The who what where?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Proud Christian Mom posted:

is it the time of the year you run around bragging about getting another phone

please, I get a new phone every few months

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

please, I get a new phone every few months

People freeze in the snow that often? Poor Canadians.

Oh, and those phones should go to their families so they can see the last few selfies that document their loved one's demise, you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

Ooh, I might be interested in this. Details?