Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

pookel posted:

I thought Catch-22 was "you are ineligible for B until you have completed A. You may not complete A until you have finished B."

Sort of. I guess The Crucible would also qualify. Denying you're a practitioner of the dark arts is something only a practitioner would do!

Then again I doubt a lot of them have ever read Miller, Heller or Kafka. They're generally authors whose work has become part of popular conscious through osmosis and many probably wouldn't have any knowledge of them beyond half remembered high school discussions and it was too beneath them to actually listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

All that poo poo about how women need to be beaten by alphas and treated like garbage reminds me of the eternal libertarian paradox: "This system inconveniences me. Obviously, it was put here for evil!"

Sometimes. Not always.

danger-carpet
Aug 3, 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/09/call-me-a-racist-but-dont-say-im-a-buddhist-meet-the-alt-right

Meet "Eric".

quote:

Eric loves the meanness of the alt right. “We’re the troll army!” he says. “We’re here to win. We’re savage!” And antisemitism is non-negotiable. In fact, he’d like to clear up a misnomer about the alt right, propagated by the Breitbart columnist Milo Yiannopoulos, who is often described, mistakenly, as the movement’s leader. Milo casts the alt right as principally a trolling enterprise, dedicated to attacking liberal shibboleths for the “lulz”– there’s precious little actual bigotry. But Eric insists otherwise. Yes, they like to joke, they have memes, they’re just as funny as liberals – have I heard of their satirical news podcasts, the Daily Shoah and Fash the Nation? But make no mistake, the racism is real. Eric especially enjoys The Daily Stormer, a leading alt-right news site, which is unashamedly pro-Hitler.

I’m with Eric at a Mexican restaurant in Manhattan Beach where he lives, an upscale, white neighbourhood in the South Bay. He clears space on the table and grins. “OK, you ready? Your first tarot card reading with the Hitler Youth!”

It’s been an odd afternoon. We walked along the beach and I asked about his gmail address which includes the number 1488, a potent number for white supremacists. The “14” stands for the 14 words coined by the late David Lane of the group The Order: “We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.” And the 88 refers to HH (H being eighth in the alphabet) – or Heil Hitler. Eric sighed. “OK, but this stuff’s hard to talk about,” he said. “It depends how red-pilled you are.”

Alt-righters love talking about the red pill. It’s a reference to The Matrix – blue-pilled people bumble through a life of illusion, while the red-pilled have seen the truth and there’s no turning back. Like all conspiracy theorists they see the hidden hand that guides all things, but for the alt right that hand is Jewish. The red pill is classic antisemitism, rebooted for a younger generation. As we walked, he laid it out – the banking, the media, the globalism. We passed games of beach volleyball and family picnics, while he explained why the Holocaust was exaggerated and Hitler got a bad rap.

“Have you noticed that kombucha isn’t as fizzy as it used to be?” he asks, along the way, because Eric isn’t your average Nazi. He trained as a spiritualist. He has taught meditation. He brought his tarot cards in case I wanted a reading.

“Don’t tell me – it’s the Jews,” I tell him. He laughs. “You said it, not me!”

In the late 70s, the Klansman David Duke swapped his hood and robes for a suit and tie, and took white supremacy out of the cross-burning fields and into the boardroom. Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center describes the alt right in similar terms, as Racism 2.0, “a rebranding for the digital generation”. It’s a trendy reboot – “alt right” makes white supremacy sound like an art collective. And Eric, the kombucha Nazi, just takes it a step further – into the aisles of Whole Foods. He’s a locally sourced, wild-caught bigot high in omega-3s and antisemitism. It makes him more sinister in some ways, and more harmless in others. As Nazis go.

“Hmm, Nazi.” Like Johnson, he’s squeamish about terms. Warriors against political correctness can be awfully sensitive. “It’s such a slur,” he says. But come on – he’s a Hitler apologist. “OK, fine,” he says. “Just don’t say I’m a Buddhist, because I’m actually more into Norse and Celtic mysticism now.”

It’ll come as no surprise that someone who’d rather be called a Nazi than a Buddhist has a strange story to tell. Originally from a well-off white suburb of Chicago, he moved to Las Vegas to pursue music. Then one day, in the gym of his condo building, he met a guru figure we’ll call Frank. A spiritualist and businessman, Frank introduced Eric to New Age mysticism and Japanese Buddhism. And it was under Frank’s guidance that Eric moved to LA to study hypnotherapy and began a career giving readings and tarot shows at a psychic bookshop. Frank, he says, was his “mentor and best friend”. But then Eric took a turn. He radicalised himself. He left the New Age life, finding it too feminine, and spiralled down a sinkhole of conspiracy theory. He and Frank have been estranged ever since. Frank is black.
He's basically Darth Vader

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Either the guardian is getting trolled hard or they found a real special kid because describing the daily stormer as "a leading alt-right news site" is pretty, uh, odd?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

A White Guy posted:

Hitler, not fascist enough for me :psyduck:

LoB, can you source this wonderful quote?

jim says:
October 11, 2016 at 2:27 am
I am all in favor of the gradual and orderly removal of Jews over time through a combination of exit to Israel with assets and arms and the alternative of full assimilation with an inquisition to make sure that purported full assimilation is indeed full assimilation.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ate all the Oreos posted:

Either the guardian is getting trolled hard or they found a real special kid because describing the daily stormer as "a leading alt-right news site" is pretty, uh, odd?

Well, I suppose that just shows how little difference between alt-right and neonazi there is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Well, I suppose that just shows how little difference between alt-right and neonazi there is.

Oh I'm not saying the daily stormer isn't alt-right-y, it's just only really read by the adherents who are openly and blatantly white nationalist instead of the Milo-type "lol blacks are apes amirite" type, and as far as I know that's still a minority compared to, say, Breitbart readers.

e: Also the stormer actively hates Milo and his "sect" for being a degenerate gay jew or something so there's that too

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Yeah, the alt-right is way too cozy with neo-Nazis and white supremacists, but those groups are not actually the people leading the movement.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

pookel posted:

As explained to me by my alt-right friend, it's when someone says "I'm not a racist" and the SJW says "AHA! Your denial proves you're guilty!"

I've literally never seen this happen anywhere, not even on Tumblr.

I've seen stuff like it.

The setup goes: one of the hallmarks of privilege is that privileged people don't have to worry or think about their privilege. They often deny it when first confronted with it. The stronger the denial the bigger the red flag generally. (I personally agree with this because I'm a filthy robocop.)

The part of the dynamic the "kafkatrapping" whiners ignore is how they can't show a working knowledge of racism and privilege. They can't speak intelligently about it. They defend themselves with meta stuff and not real stuff; they're like, "You can't read my mind! I'm under no obligation to prove myself to you! You're accusing me of thought crime!" It's not the denial that proves they're guilty, it's mere denial. From the social justice side it looks more like Dunning-Kruger than Heller-Kafka-Orwell.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

pookel posted:

Yeah, the alt-right is way too cozy with neo-Nazis and white supremacists, but those groups are not actually the people leading the movement.

Except maybe in prison.

I assume any alt-righters who end up there will immediately pull a weev and flee to the protective embrace of the Aryan Brotherhood.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh maybe this idea comes from a 12 step/addiction model - denying you have a problem is seen as symptomatic of the problem.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pookel posted:

No, the people leading the alt-right are new-Nazis and white supremacists by any reasonable definition.

They just refuse to call themselves that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

No, the people leading the alt-right are new-Nazis and white supremacists by any reasonable definition.

They just refuse to call themselves that.

That's exactly what people are saying. The subgroup that do call themselves Nazis are prominent but not in charge. (Yet.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Lone Badger posted:

That's exactly what people are saying. The subgroup that do call themselves Nazis are prominent but not in charge. (Yet.)

I think you're just failing to appreciate the ironic commentary implicit in the loving great swastika weev got tattooed on his chest,

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/785884177002405888
https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/785885487345000452

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So is the alt right free breakfast program just Soylent in a Dickensian workhouse? Or do they think to be the Black Panthers you just need scary dudes with guns and berets?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that's a lot of words when they could've just described themselves as edgelords.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I guess that's what the 60's counterculture appears to be if you're a boring white conservative looking at it from the outside

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I've said it before in this thread but that tweet is really the perfect example of how edgelords seem to be rebelling against this really weird, skewed subjective image of what they think the rest of the world considers "normal." Viewing it with that lens I guess I could see how you could come to the conclusion that "the hippies main goal was to have long hair because society hated long hair!"

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I can't wait for the alters to discover communes.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Like I've said it before in this thread but that tweet is really the perfect example of how edgelords seem to be rebelling against this really weird, skewed subjective image of what they think the rest of the world considers "normal." Viewing it with that lens I guess I could see how you could come to the conclusion that "the hippies main goal was to have long hair because society hated long hair!"

You're misreading it

He sees the Alt-Right as a cure to the Hippies being in power.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

After Karl Ushanka commented, I asked him if Alt-Right Dogs was an attempt to go viral and he pulled the ol' "At least I made something, you just spent 15 minutes watching a video. :smug:"

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Somfin posted:

You're misreading it

No, you're misreading it.

https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/785860847956594692

https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/785862614060503040

edit: also that Alice Mazzy person literally says their model for the alt-right's behavior is "brazen taboo violation to signal rejection of the public morality of the day" and he agrees/doesn't argue or correct her on his meaning so

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Oct 13, 2016

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Somfin posted:

You're misreading it

Not sure how you can get that from "My model for the alt-right has always been the 60s counterculture left, since way back before the alt-right even had a name" and "@paxdickinson this is my model as well. brazen taboo violation to signal rejection of the public morality of the day" unless you only read the very first tweet he was responding to but not any of the rest of it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

brazen taboo violation to signal rejection of the public morality of the day

is obviously talking about the Alt-Right's censorship by our dominant overlords, guys. The overlords who these guys see as either captains of industry or SJWs. They only want to reject one of those.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Somfin posted:

is obviously talking about the Alt-Right's censorship by our dominant overlords, guys. The overlords who these guys see as either captains of industry or SJWs. They only want to reject one of those.

They're obviously drawing a parallel between their own taboo violation and that of the 1960s counterculture, bro

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Peztopiary posted:

Phalanx, the neoreactionary proposal to leave the basement from time to time, seems to have disappeared from the net.

In other news, Anissimov's moreright.net seems to have dropped offline.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Peztopiary posted:

Can't wait for them to discover petty ideological splitting, but only if it doesn't result in some of them forming underground terrorist cells.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

InediblePenguin posted:

They're obviously drawing a parallel between their own taboo violation and that of the 1960s counterculture, bro

Within the month, Pax, or someone who liked or retweeted that tweet, is going to get really angry at "degenerate art" and bitch about a society that would praise Piss Christ.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Within the month, Pax, or someone who liked or retweeted that tweet, is going to get really angry at "degenerate art" and bitch about a society that would praise Piss Christ.

Did you hear that anime statue of the guy whipping up a vortex of cum sold for tens of thousands of dollars!? Clearly this indicates cultural marxism has destroyed the fabric of high society!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Vox Day is kinda sorta in the DE camp, right? I made the ill-advised move of reading his latest poo poo and I found a greeeeat one. :suicide:

quote:

There is no longer even the appearance of a coherent nation. This is the state to which the proposition nation lunatics have reduced the USA. Nations are people. They are not ideas, borders or political boundaries. Change the people, change the nation. Change the people, and all of the ideas, borders, and political boundaries will inevitably change with them. Demographics is destiny.

The foolishness of the whites who welcomed these changes is such that they still don't understand or accept what is happening, nor will many of them until they are driven, hated and impoverished, from their homes. And some, virtue-signaling to the end, will die as martyrs, holding firm to their secular faith and declaring "not all Blacks/Hispanics/Asians/whatever are like that!"

Assimilation is not assent to an idea. It is not mimicking behavior or learning the language or parroting words. Assimilation means interbreeding for multiple generations until your genes are no longer detectable amidst the host population. And assimilation is impossible for large quantities of immigrants.

This cake was baked in 1965. And it's finally coming out of the oven.

As Martin van Creveld has written, immigration is war. And this is the last war America will ever lose.

America is not an ideal of a shining city on the hill you guys, it's all about avoiding people who have German Irish Hispanic blood.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

Vox Day is kinda sorta in the DE camp, right? I made the ill-advised move of reading his latest poo poo and I found a greeeeat one. :suicide:

America is not an ideal of a shining city on the hill you guys, it's all about avoiding people who have German Irish Hispanic blood.

I love how he went right from almost-pandering "they're going to rule us and be mean to us!" to "WE MUST PROTECT THE ARYAN GENES AT ALL COSTS AND NOT LET THEM BE TAINTED BY MONGREL BLOOD"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
So they want to be like hippies, but ironically.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Except maybe in prison.

I assume any alt-righters who end up there will immediately pull a weev and flee to the protective embrace of the Aryan Brotherhood.

wait weev's been in jail?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

pookel posted:

So they want to be like hippies, but ironically.

The old fascism

The new fascism

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

It's Vox Day not white though. Isn't he one of those minorities who think they're an acception somehow.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's Vox Day not white though. Isn't he one of those minorities who think they're an acception somehow.

He's partly Native American, or at least claims to be. So it's not strictly hypocritical for him to be against nonwhite immigration.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Race Realists posted:

wait weev's been in jail?

He went to prison for like 7 months, during which time his views on the superiority of the white race crystallized and he met some outright actual neo-nazis and joined them. He was then let out on appeal or something afaik.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Terrible Opinions posted:

He's one of those "totally white until I need a race card to play" guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
It's only tangentially DE (though I put in the /pol/ cultural Marxism conspiracy theory chart), but I wrote a piece on how Theodor Adorno of the Frankfurt School wrote all the Beatles' songs.