Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I accidently created / an alternate timeline
I learned to stay true to myself / by watching my mom die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So it looks like Alchemy is being set up as the season big bad, yeah?

Which would be nice.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I accidently created / an alternate timeline
I learned to stay true to myself / by watching my mom die

barry so dumb a 13 year old learned as much about the consequences of time travel in 11 minutes as he did in 2 seasons

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Barry being dumb is annoying but he kinda has to be I think. Flash is basically a god. If Barry didn't do dumb poo poo he'd literally be invincible.

Not that that excuses him from his timeline shenanigans.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
12 Monkeys seems to be bleeding into this timeline too

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Favorite part was Jay Garrick pulling Barry out of the Speed Force in the 90s to call him a dumbass and tell him to sack up.

Second favorite part was me going "ha ha yup good ol' Caitlyn still the same as OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress BARRY WHAT DID YOU DOOOOO"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Real Jay Garrick has already been more of a mentor to Barry in a 3 minute scene than fake Jay Garrick was the entirety of his storyline

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Best part of the episode for sure. "Stop it you little shithead and take a second to listen to me."

"I may not be your real dad but so help me I'll take off my belt and beat the sense into you like it never got the chance to, Barry."

Seriously, I loved him PULLING HIS rear end OUT OF THE TIMESTREAM to Dad the gently caress up and tell him that he can't keep fixing everything via the nuclear option. It's something desperately needed and FlashDad just has the luck of being the one person Barry would actually listen to that sort of talk from.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
LOL at Barry saying nothing about Caitlin had changed. Caitlin doesn't have a personal life to change. Does she even have parents?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

LOL at Barry saying nothing about Caitlin had changed. Caitlin doesn't have a personal life to change. Does she even have parents?

I initially thought it was crass because like, "oh your boyfriends still dead and you don't have anyone else to lose lol" but it was just a clumsy setup for the ice hands tease

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy Goodbody posted:

SHE WILL FREEZE YOUR rear end DON'T THINK SHE WON'T

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also I am glad new meta CSI guy can see what a monster Barry is.

"You know why I don't like you don't you?" "Because I'm a protagonist and you're a Slytherin?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So am I on crack or was that Jigsaw's voice?

I want to play a game Barry

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Really hope that this was meant to be part two of the opener and that means the rest of the season is back to more light hearted fun and less contrived drama. Nice to see Felicity when she's not being written by Arrow writers.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope Draco's not Alchemy, and is just a guy that doesn't like Barry.

Edit: Copping to stealing stuff from his crime scene is actually a good reason to be unhappy with him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We all know they're going to reset the timeline again right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know, I mean we're two episodes in and Barry has yet to kill anyone. Maybe things are changing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This is another episode that I did not dislike.

The overall concept -- dealing with the consequences of Barry's timeline manipulations -- hangs together well and there were some genuinely decent stakes and writing. True-FlashDad's lecture about how the broken cup can't ever be fixed exactly the way it was before was actually a good metaphor to convey "time travel" on this show, not only as an explanation for prior instances, but also as a good rule of thumb going forward.

Of course they could always toss out some time remnant wraith bullshit down the line but, for the time being, I think the show has managed to put a band-aid over their usual time travel nonsense.

Sux for Dante though~

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ComposerGuy posted:

So it looks like Alchemy is being set up as the season big bad, yeah?

Which would be nice.

There's two this season - Dr Alchemy and Savitar.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think I've read that her mother is appearing in a future episode.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Rhyno posted:

So am I on crack or was that Jigsaw's voice?

I want to play a game Barry

Yeah, it's Tobin Bell, the same actor who plays Jigsaw.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

She had a dead fiance for a bit, but then he died.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's her dead husband actually.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dead until whatever he's on gets cancelled again.

The worst part of this is that they got rid of Diggle's daughter.

WTF, couldn't just leave that one alone?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This was good. Iris was actually good in this episode; voice of reason, understandably upset at her dad, believably talks herself into forgiving him at the end, chemistry with Barry. Also she's a reporter again, yay. I like this Iris.

Poor Dante though :( And I wonder how they'll address this (if they do) in Arrow tonight. And Legends of Tomorrow... tomorrow.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

bbf2 posted:

Yeah, it's Tobin Bell, the same actor who plays Jigsaw.

:perfect:

And Cisco being all Vibe (Though I don't recall them calling him that at all in the episode) on the Rival was awesome.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Will Barry's memory fade of Timeline 1 and Timeline 2 now? And will he eventually remember all of timeline 3? Or does that not work when it's a lovely reality he doesn't like?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a scene from Dawson's Creek playing in the 1998 cafe, another show FlashDad used to be on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah, cafes around here were always playing WB prime time soaps in the middle of the day in the late nineties.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Yeah, cafes around here were always playing WB prime time soaps in the middle of the day in the late nineties.

Clearly Barry broke the timeline a bit more than we realized.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Caitlin is actually the most different, we just have no idea how because she's such a non-entity.

For example, in this timeline, she did multiple smooches on Zoom.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

It reminded me of a scene from the Cleveland Show, they did a flashback where every line of dialogue referenced the current year.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder who's clothes the Flash stole

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

We all know they're going to reset the timeline again right?

Nah, I think we're finally good on that. Using Jay to go "okay that's enough of that, quit it" and having Barry explain to people why it's a horrible fuckup was a pretty good signal they're done with timeline reset chicanery.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
What happened to time wraiths and the debilitating headaches he got when he made significant changes to the timeline?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He was infected with a case of plot relevance.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

libertao posted:

What happened to time wraiths and the debilitating headaches he got when he made significant changes to the timeline?

Well, you can't have the series villain be killed off so easily.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Aside from watching the trailer and reading a few hints about this season, I've kept myself mostly in the dark.

So Savitar is also going to be in this season with Dr. Alchemy? I thought the hints I read were wrong and Savitar was changed to The Rival.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for Draco's character to be Dr. Alchemy's brother and ends up becoming Mr. Element to help stop his brother.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Why does Alchemy look like an Enclave soldier from Fallout?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Going with the plague doctor aesthetic, I assume.

Like...Draco is 99.99999% likely to be Alchemy, but they might also pull yet another of those switcheroos like they did with Eddie and "Jay."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

libertao posted:

You see, when the Time Lords were defeated in LoT, it caused the Eye of Rassilon to go crazy and now there aren't Time Wraiths.

Other explanation: SPEEDFORCE

• Locked thread