Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's cool that they're doing new lords as new start positions/factions. I wonder if that means they'll exist as separate factions? Like, as the new goblin guy could you fight Grimgor/the basic Greenskin start position?

Probably, and you can most likely confederate them to get Grimgor into your roster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's cool that they're doing new lords as new start positions/factions. I wonder if that means they'll exist as separate factions? Like, as the new goblin guy could you fight Grimgor/the basic Greenskin start position?
It sure reads like that's true with both Skarsnik and Wurrzag. Interesting, both of them really encourage goblin/savage orc use and don't see like they'd be a retread of the same campaign the way, say, Vlad is.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All the orc and dwarf players complaining about never getting anything now get the satisfaction of getting a better and more refined upgrade then the ones who went first

SickZip fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 12, 2016

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Hoping now that Empire will in due course get more factions. Give me Boris Todbringer's Middenland faction, or the mad elector count of..is it averland? Or go EU4, take Marienburg and do a world conquest as a merchant republic.

No rush though, plenty of cool stuff to get through before then. This remains the game I wanted since I was 13 years old and thought warhammer was cool.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would like an extra mini-campain but for 6 bucks i'm sold

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I think this is the first time I have ever purchased something without actually looking to see what was in it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This sounds awesome,in fact it seems better than the Grim & the Grave. I was waiting to start a new Orc campaign after the DLC hit, but now I need to go full goblin.

Is fun how the game gets mixed and bad reviews in steam for the DLC's.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That feature list totally makes up for the disappointment of not getting Thorek Ironbrow. Another sale made, CA.

Strangely enough, the biggest surprise to me in there is Bugman's Rangers not being a Regiment of Renown, which makes me assume you can have multiples of them running around.

EDIT: Also, it will totally rule having Runelords be available as generals. Dwarf Lords do make for fantastic tanks and are great for parking right at the front so your army can shoot the hell out of the enemy getting stuck on them, but now I can get unit buffs from my general while the freed up slot can be used for Master Engineers.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 12, 2016

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
For those of you that played TT what's the difference between Dwarven rangers and something like Quarellers? Are they skirmishers with better speed but lighter armor?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pendent posted:

For those of you that played TT what's the difference between Dwarven rangers and something like Quarellers? Are they skirmishers with better speed but lighter armor?

Theyre a sneaky (for a dwarf) melee/range hybrid

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They have vanguard deployment and stalk, also more of a mixed infantry role. Dwarf ninjas.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only real disappointment im getting from all this is that there are no RoR Trolls. :smith:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

The above, plus also they took up a Rare unit slot, which meant they were somewhat elite units compared to the rank and file.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

An arachnarok spider that summons spiderlings? Fearing wolf riders? Freakin' dual wielding AOE attack Black Orks? Hot drat my favorite MP faction is about to become even more fun.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
So basically this will give us 3 new playable factions, while that alone almost makes this an instant buy DLC for me the rest of it with the new lord choices and units looks real freakin sweet!

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
If Vermintide taught me anything, it's that dwarven rangers are the chillest motherfuckers out there. That alone is reason to get a bunch of them.

This pack has pretty much everything that I wanted with two small exceptions.

1. Skarsnik only gets one quest. That sucks, quests are fun. I suppose it's better than not starting with Gobba, which would be unacceptable.

2. Wurrzag doesn't get a unique spell that turns enemy wizards into squigs. I didn't really expect that would make it in for balance reasons, but still it would have been awesome.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
So loving pumped for this poo poo. What's the usual timeframe after an announcement like this for CA?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KnoxZone posted:

I think this is the first time I have ever purchased something without actually looking to see what was in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3h95GetPDs

I loving love the Squigs and the Skulker animations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

fnordcircle posted:

So loving pumped for this poo poo. What's the usual timeframe after an announcement like this for CA?

the announcement says it's being released on October 20.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the announcement says it's being released on October 20.

I see. Ok, well enough making myself look dumb for today.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I dont know posted:

If Vermintide taught me anything, it's that dwarven rangers are the chillest motherfuckers out there. That alone is reason to get a bunch of them.

1. Skarsnik only gets one quest. That sucks, quests are fun. I suppose it's better than not starting with Gobba, which would be unacceptable.

Word.

I hope Gobba means we can get paired heroes/lords in the future, so we can have stuff like the Twilight Sisters for the Wood Elves or Khorne-damned Krell.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Night Goblin Warboss
Spiteful, conniving and capricious, Night Goblin Warbosses can unlock unique skills which enhance the capabilities of Goblin, Night Goblin and Squig units, and imbue their entire army with poison attacks. At level 12, they can be mounted on Great Cave Squigs, providing the Warboss with greater damage resistance, speed and attack power.

Entire armies of goblins and orcs with poison attacks. In your face, Ghorst!

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Does anyone know if this pack includes the white dwarf lord? It was the one that was only being offered in the magazine.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Let's kick it off! There is no defined schedule but please aim to play at least 1-2 sets of games per week.

Due to the round robin style we can still add players, so if you are interested you can still sign up. Once the majority of games are played no new players will be added.

Remember to save replays and post them in the thread!

quote:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Rules

Basic rules:
- Round robin style, all players will play 4 battles vs every other player on the list. Overall tournament winners will be determined by best overall record. Players with the same record will play tiebreaker matches best of 3.
- Once you play a faction against an opponent you may not pick that faction again in the current set of 4 games agaisnt that same opponent.
- Each player must use at least one of the following factions in the first 3 games - Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen.
- Players will lock in their faction choice in the prebattle lobby using the following method: One player will state their faction selection in chat "locking them into that faction" and then the second player picks a faction. First pick rotates each game.

Army Selection Rules:
- no Grim & Grave regiments of renown
- Using the following limits found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit?usp=sharing
25% minimum core units
25% max leadership units
25% max special units
25% max rare units
~2% wiggle room allowed so people don't go crazy trying to fit something in exactly
veteran rank costs don't count towards a core/special/rare category

Battle Maps:
1) L'Anguille
2) MP Peak Pass
3) MP Blue Reach River
4) Pillar of Bone

Battle Actions:
- No corner camping defined as having the flanks of your army end on the red line on both sides
- No playing for a draw
- If you have artillery you may hang back as long as it's not camped in a corner.

Tips to Be a Cool Dude:
- save some army set ups before hand, the core/special/rare setup demands a little extra time. Respect your opponents time and limit fiddling around building your army right before battle.

Alternate Win Condition/Prize:
- Player with the most total game wins using any of the following factions Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen will be gifted their choice of DLC (excluding the $20 beastmen one). If the winner owns all the DLC you can nominate your favorite opponent to receive it.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 12, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Truecon420 posted:

Does anyone know if this pack includes the white dwarf lord? It was the one that was only being offered in the magazine.

Pretty sure it does not.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Skarsnik has Gobbla, and Belegor has his ghost family. Special Halloween surprise of Kemmler getting his homeboy Krell back, let's go.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

John Charity Spring posted:

Pretty sure it does not.

So to get that lord we have to buy the magazine :( when does the magazine come out?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Starting with a suite of agents rules.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

toasterwarrior posted:

Skarsnik has Gobbla, and Belegor has his ghost family. Special Halloween surprise of Kemmler getting his homeboy Krell back, let's go.

If we're gonna see Krell it'll probably be in a 'Legendary Heroes' pack with a bunch of similar character (Gotrek and Felix for example). Hopefully some day :allears:

Truecon420 posted:

So to get that lord we have to buy the magazine :( when does the magazine come out?

I don't think anyone knows what's going on with Grombrindal atm. What I can tell you is that he's not slated to drop until November, so we'll see.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Starting with a suite of agents rules.

Ethereal to boot, but you'll need them, because all units in Belegar's faction have higher upkeep costs than normal until you conquer Karak Eight Peaks. Also starting in Karak Izor might be huge too, because you won't have Grimgor breathing down your neck.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I wonder how Bolt Throwers will distinguish themselves. The steam page says they have AP, which is great if they're cheap.

Also :lol: Bugman's Rangers

e; also apparently wurrzag has three quests, which sorta balances out skarsnik's one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know with the vcs raise dead ability letting them instantly recruit units I'm surprised we haven't seen any dogs of war mercenaries in the game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I like that the Dwarfs are getting a Rat Poison tech to keep imaginary 'Dawi-sized rats' at bay.

Also Skarsnik is everything I ever wanted from a Greenskin lord :allears: gently caress orcs

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kainser posted:

I like that the Dwarfs are getting a Rat Poison tech to keep imaginary 'Dawi-sized rats' at bay.

What a superstitious people.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

quote:

Peak Gate Guard (Hammerers)
Magic attacks, Immune To Psychology, Sunder Armour

quote:

Da Warlord’s Boyz (Night Goblins)
Immune To Psychology, Sunder Armour

:crossarms:

Don't believe we've seen this trait before...

Also some of these RR's are gonna be MP gold:

quote:

Dragonback Slayers (Slayers)
Charge Defence, Physical Resistance, Fire Resistance, reduces targets speed, increases target flammability

quote:

Norgrimling’s Ironbreakers (Ironbreakers)
Vanguard Deployment, Immune To Psychology, increased unit size

quote:

Deff Creepers (Goblin Spider Riders)
Regeneration, Stalk

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Somebody at CA must have been playing way too much dota when they designed the arachnarok spider RoR.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So how are you supposed to figure out what is good against what in this game?

Like a lot of the descriptions are very qualitative, but not very specific. So I'm having a hard time knowing why I would use Spell X that rains white fire down from the heavens against a unit instead of Spell Y that creates a magical pack of hounds against the unit.

The same goes for the actual units. About the only thing I do understand for sure is to use armor penetration against things with armor. (Oh yeah, and I suppose magical weapons against things affected by magical weapons.) Oh, and spears against big things. But otherwise, I have no idea if I should be attacking a given unit with flagellants or swordsmen.

Also, I'm still sort of having a general problem of controlling everything - most battles still just seem to be a few spells cast quickly with some artillery, followed by everything kind of blobbing in the middle with cavalry running stuff down on the sides. I guess in general, I'm just trying to get a better grasp on how to make battles more meaningful than, "Mush everything together, and then press the buttons that give leaders and surrounding units advantages every time they're off cooldown."

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Let's kick it off! There is no defined schedule but please aim to play at least 1-2 sets of games per week.

Due to the round robin style we can still add players, so if you are interested you can still sign up. Once the majority of games are played no new players will be added.

Remember to save replays and post them in the thread!

Put me down for goon tourney pls http://steamcommunity.com/id/Nanomashoes/.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
If you tell us what army you're playing (Empire?) we can give you some more specific tips but the traditional formula in Total War games is to hold the enemy in place with your infantry line and then flank with cavalry/envelop with unengaged infantry. Things can change quite a bit from race to race and between campaign and multiplayer.

My strategy with Dwarves in single player, for instance is to form a really defensive formation (possibly a checkerboard if I have Thunderers) and force the enemy to come to me via artillery supremacy. Early game especially 3-4 Grudge Throwers can do some seriously heavy lifting if you target them properly. As a result of this The bulk of the killing seems to come from my ranged for the most part This doesn't work nearly as well in a multiplayer match and requires some different play with only other army where I think it's particularly viable, this being the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

So how are you supposed to figure out what is good against what in this game?

Like a lot of the descriptions are very qualitative, but not very specific. So I'm having a hard time knowing why I would use Spell X that rains white fire down from the heavens against a unit instead of Spell Y that creates a magical pack of hounds against the unit.

The same goes for the actual units. About the only thing I do understand for sure is to use armor penetration against things with armor. (Oh yeah, and I suppose magical weapons against things affected by magical weapons.) Oh, and spears against big things. But otherwise, I have no idea if I should be attacking a given unit with flagellants or swordsmen.

Also, I'm still sort of having a general problem of controlling everything - most battles still just seem to be a few spells cast quickly with some artillery, followed by everything kind of blobbing in the middle with cavalry running stuff down on the sides. I guess in general, I'm just trying to get a better grasp on how to make battles more meaningful than, "Mush everything together, and then press the buttons that give leaders and surrounding units advantages every time they're off cooldown."

IMO the main thing to look out for is if a unit is anti-large or not. If it's not, it's probably meant to be used against infantry. If it is, it's good vs cavalry and monsters. Some infantry have Great Weapon variants, which are even better vs. infantry, especially armored infantry, but take more damage vs. ranged units.

Enemy units take huge penalties when attacked from the flanks and behind, so the usual battle plan is called hammer and anvil: get a line of infantry to engage the enemy units, then swing your more mobile units and cavalry around and hit them from behind. ranged units sit behind your line and pelt the highest value enemy targets, usually cavalry but sometimes unshielded infantry. Try not to get outflanked yourself by having an anti-large infantry on your flanks or having anti-large cavalry intercept and kill the enemy's cavalry.

• Locked thread