Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rutibex posted:

I was kind of inspired by Siralim. Its a randomly generated Pokemon-like, where you just grind out battles and level up your castle. There's no end or point in Siralim, you just play to get stronger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWKIt0mw1Q

And Siralim suffers the same problems as your game, except with a hell of a lot more polish behind it. In-game documentation is lacking, restriction of resources that would allow you flexibility in trying out combinations (especially in the post-game!) and RNG as the end-all, be-all. You should try instead to be inspired by Disgaea which has the numbers going up and gradual level curve done right. Ton of levers to fiddle with and any party can be used during the normal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

If it's not actually hard why don't you beat the final boss?

You are supposed to find lots of "game breaking" combos. You are supposed to use those to push yourself further, and try to level up as fast as you can. There are ways to find very high level monsters. If your party is so powerful then go kill the high level monsters and level up even more quickly. The game goes up to level 10,000!

If you have to explain why the game is fun or how to actually play it, maybe there is some context missing from the game itself. Some people find that kind of play fun, sure, but they have to know that's what the gameplay is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you have to explain why the game is fun or how to actually play it, maybe there is some context missing from the game itself. Some people find that kind of play fun, sure, but they have to know that's what the gameplay is.

Thats fair. When I test the game my only audience is myself, so I don't really need any kind of context. I can see how that might be confusing for other players!

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I just tried Alpha 11 of Cogmind and had a blast! Skipped a lot of the intermediary builds so it was pretty fun checking out what's new. I think I always end up playing a flying assassin-type character (loads of utility slots, high critical weapons rather than high damage ones) and this works out for the first few levels before it (as usual) devolves into a scooby doo scenario where I'm almost naked and there's a dozen extremely angry robots chasing me. I really should try a shooty / hacky build some times.

By the way, anyone figure out how to utilize drone bays? I have almost zero experience with the party controls but I've like, deployed them to explore, and they reveal quite a big chunk of the map before they're destroyed. I can't figure out if you can rebuild drones, so usually i just drop it off at the nearest scavenger after that happens.

Spoilery stuff ahead for a branch off of level -3:
I love the alien research area. No idea what I was doing, which I think is very apropos of a random bot trying to get to the surface. Right off the bat I see three 'Rainmakers' equipped with flak cannons so I duck into a side room, randomly equip an artifact, then teleport to god-knows-where. I then spend the rest of the time zooping around, trying to avoid getting contained in stasis by the neutral scientist nerds hanging around, and picking things up. I think I got an alien stasis field at one point, which was helpful if only because I have very little in the way of weapons at this point. Then I got it shot off, all my weapons destroyed, and I enter the next area like a kid with his face pressed up against the glass of a candy shop because I don't have kinetic weapons to smash and grab the artifacts I find.

I want to try a shooty build next but I always wonder about the viability of it. Increased support requirements means you're moving several times slower than a flying build which means you're less likely to outrun calls for reinforcement. The increased damage while fighting also, presumably, raises the alert level much faster than a stealth build. The increased matter and salvage you pick up from fighting doesn't seem to completely reduce the spike in difficult you get, but admittedly I have very little experience with this playstyle.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Yeah, my understanding is that shooty builds tend to be trickier than sneaky ones. (A funny reversal (?) from the usual roguelike dynamic.) My best runs, and my only win so far (spoilers?), were all flight builds. The last one in particular was flight/hacking, which seems to synergize pretty well; a melee weapon (to chop through walls) and a grenade launcher (to take out swarmers) are the only weapons you really need as a flight mech.

definitely want to try a shootier build in alpha 11, though. so many fun toys you don't get to play with as a flight build!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Man, I've been salivating over Cogmind for a year now.
I'd make the exception for it and buy an unfinished game for 25bux if they didn't also make me pay 25% VAT on top of it. That's a bit too much.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Every time someone talks about Cogmind, I find myself thinking about how awesome would be if someone made a Battletech roguelike.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Reading the last 30 or so posts made me feel suddenly afraid I was having a stroke and had developed aphasia.

Rutibex, yeah there's some real deficiencies in the game right now but don't lose heart. Work on balance and at least a manageable early game before poo poo gets wild Wild West.

It's harder to look at criticism as constructive when it's couched in "you suck" and "your game is poo poo", that's totally understandable. But you can't just dismiss it entirely because the messenger is being toxic. Final Fantasy Poop randomness is good for a laugh but if you want it to be enjoyable long term, you should course correct now.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Angry Lobster posted:

Every time someone talks about Cogmind, I find myself thinking about how awesome would be if someone made a Battletech roguelike.

Gearhead 1 and 2.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It can go all they way into millions but as long as it's not fun no one's going to play it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

Fixed for my experience. Then I claimed a refund.

I'm thinking about getting my $3 back, yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Incidentally, disgaea seems like it would be fun but I'm so completely turned off by the aesthetic that I've never given it a shot. Any suggestions for something similar?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm not familiar with this game, but it is classed as a roguelike, so: chrono.gg's deal of the day is Coin Crypt and its expansions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Thats fair. When I test the game my only audience is myself, so I don't really need any kind of context. I can see how that might be confusing for other players!
Here's a tip for playtesting:

Get somebody, sit them down in front of a computer, and watch them play. And do not tell them anything. Leave them entirely to the existing documentation and in-game stuff.

Do not help them in any way.

This way you can see what it's like for some random person somewhere in the world to load up your game and try it, and what they have trouble with.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Zereth posted:

Here's a tip for playtesting:

Get somebody, sit them down in front of a computer, and watch them play. And do not tell them anything. Leave them entirely to the existing documentation and in-game stuff.

Do not help them in any way.

This way you can see what it's like for some random person somewhere in the world to load up your game and try it, and what they have trouble with.

The other tip is: Write down everything you know or do by reflex, and see how the game design points other players to this, if at all.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Captain Foo posted:

Incidentally, disgaea seems like it would be fun but I'm so completely turned off by the aesthetic that I've never given it a shot. Any suggestions for something similar?

What about the aesthetic bothers you? There's another game called Phantom Brave that's made by the same company and uses very similar core mechanics (with some really funky twists - the main character is a spirit medium, your other characters are all ghosts, and your medium has to temporarily bind the ghosts into physical objects to summon them into the world), but it's aesthetically somewhat similar to the Disgaea series in a number of ways.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

Those are srpgs, so look into Final Fantasy Tactics (/FFT Advance, A2, those are nowhere near as good as FFT but they're good and fun, especially A2), Fire Emblem (much harder, less grinding), and more I'm forgetting. If you can stomach the art style, get a PS2 and play Soul Nomad, it's easily the best of the Nippon Ichi catalog.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Angry Diplomat posted:

What about the aesthetic bothers you? There's another game called Phantom Brave that's made by the same company and uses very similar core mechanics (with some really funky twists - the main character is a spirit medium, your other characters are all ghosts, and your medium has to temporarily bind the ghosts into physical objects to summon them into the world), but it's aesthetically somewhat similar to the Disgaea series in a number of ways.

I really fuckin hate anime/chibi/ that art style tbqh

I had a fine time with FFT

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

I really fuckin hate anime/chibi/ that art style tbqh

I had a fine time with FFT

If you like robuts try the Front Mission series. 3 on the Playstation is one of the best SRPGs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Internet Friend posted:

If you like robuts try the Front Mission series. 3 on the Playstation is one of the best SRPGs.

This sounds great except I pretty much game on the PC these days :negative:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

On the PC, uh, there's Valkyria Chronicle (haven't played it yet myself), the Agarest series (AVOID), and Rime Berta (haven't played, I hear it's a sub-par Phantom Brave). And in a sense, the XCOM series qualifies, so check that out?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you hate anime avoid Valkyria Chronicles as well; it's steeped in that genre.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

If you game on the PC these days you have a PC powerful enough to emulate PS/PS2/Gamecube/Wii games, but that's another thread.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

StrixNebulosa posted:

On the PC, uh, there's Valkyria Chronicle (haven't played it yet myself), the Agarest series (AVOID), and Rime Berta (haven't played, I hear it's a sub-par Phantom Brave). And in a sense, the XCOM series qualifies, so check that out?

I've played a decent amount of XCOM :sun:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Captain Foo posted:

I've played a decent amount of XCOM :sun:

Have you tried Battle Brothers? It's early access but I've been having a blast with it. (Think XCOM mixed with Mount and Blade. It has an ironman mode as well.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gooch181 posted:

Have you tried Battle Brothers? It's early access but I've been having a blast with it. (Think XCOM mixed with Mount and Blade. It has an ironman mode as well.)

I've got this on my watchlist! Waiting for it to come out of EA, though. I did play Massive Chalice for a little while, but it didn't really grab me

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Internet Friend posted:

If you game on the PC these days you have a PC powerful enough to emulate PS/PS2/Gamecube/Wii games, but that's another thread.

On this note let me throw in Advance Wars. For the SNES: Bahamut Lagoon, FEDA, more I'm probably not aware of.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

Captain Foo posted:

I've got this on my watchlist! Waiting for it to come out of EA, though. I did play Massive Chalice for a little while, but it didn't really grab me

I haven't followed the development or anything; just jumped into it a few days ago. I would never guess it's early access!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gooch181 posted:

I haven't followed the development or anything; just jumped into it a few days ago. I would never guess it's early access!

That's good to hear, honestly I haven't looked at it in some months so it sounds like they've made a ton of progress!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

StrixNebulosa posted:

On this note let me throw in Advance Wars. For the SNES: Bahamut Lagoon, FEDA, more I'm probably not aware of.

My all time favorite (originally got me into the genre) is Shining Force for Sega Genesis. Both 1 and 2 are great.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

My all time favorite (originally got me into the genre) is Shining Force for Sega Genesis. Both 1 and 2 are great.

Hell yeah!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone else playing TOMEnet? It's managed to hold more appeal to me than other *band games and actually works well for an online roguelike.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I upgraded to windows 10 and recalled that now I can get Incursion working again, which had gone open source a while ago and is being very intermittently updated.

I streamed a bit last night for some freenode friends and goonstation friends and remembered how much I enjoyed the whole process of creating a D&D 3.5-ish roguelike character and playing the game until a usually hilarious death.

If there's any interest, I can make an nice long effort post about playing the game and character builds, tips, tricks, and strategies.

I've won the game 4 (edited: oops more like 14) times but there are still plenty of interesting character builds to attempt.

Pacra fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 4, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sproggiwood bug (?): The Warrior's Shield Wall ability says "Ignore all damage for 3 turns". However, you sometimes take damage at the end of the turn in which it still has 1 turn remaining. I notice this particularly with the exploding red slimes; I'll take damage from their explosion despite still nominally having invulnerability. Annoyingly, it doesn't seem to be consistent. :shrug:

What's also not consistent is when red slimes explode; sometimes they decide to wait a turn or two, usually they explode one turn after they're "killed".

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Sproggiwood bug (?): The Warrior's Shield Wall ability says "Ignore all damage for 3 turns". However, you sometimes take damage at the end of the turn in which it still has 1 turn remaining. I notice this particularly with the exploding red slimes; I'll take damage from their explosion despite still nominally having invulnerability. Annoyingly, it doesn't seem to be consistent. :shrug:

What's also not consistent is when red slimes explode; sometimes they decide to wait a turn or two, usually they explode one turn after they're "killed".

Yeah red slimes are a little bugged, if I ever crack it back open I'm gonna fix it. At this point I'm like a whole major version of Unity+ away from where it was released, so it's hard to just do a quick slap-n-fix without really giving it a least a little play-testing first, and once I have it cracked open I'd want to add cloud save support 'n stuff, so it becomes a whole ordeal.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Weedle posted:

This is what happens when you make a roguelike in RPG Maker

Nah, it can work pretty well, I have a good one in 2k even. I'll post it once I get it in a presentable state in a week or so

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Pacra posted:

I upgraded to windows 10 and recalled that now I can get Incursion working again, which had gone open source a while ago and is being very intermittently updated.

I streamed a bit last night for some freenode friends and goonstation friends and remembered how much I enjoyed the whole process of creating a D&D 3.5-ish roguelike character and playing the game until a usually hilarious death.

If there's any interest, I can make an nice long effort post about playing the game and character builds, tips, tricks, and strategies.

I've won the game 4 times but there are still plenty of interesting character builds to attempt.

i'm a fan of effortposts

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

i'm a fan of effortposts

Same. Incursion is cool too.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Pacra posted:

I've won the game 4 times but there are still plenty of interesting character builds to attempt.

Thirding this, please do, I love these sort of posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The other option to the R wrangling above is, well, there's always the old Final Fantasy Worlds to stoke the warped nostalgia~

I can't find the dev's old site offhand where it used to live alongside various other projects whose ambition far outstripped the engine, but it seems a mirror is still afoot here and there.

Such as this one, care of TheUberHunter, once the foremost diver of Roguelikes and DoomRL shenigans on video before he faded into obscure depths in the speed run scene with a new channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhEZgFxel0&index=1&list=PLefBsUqEQ6aHm5tiTO4vtSmnJAJkEdoVl