Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Discendo Vox posted:

There were an additional set of changes to weapons with the OD update, effecting special (explosive, thrown, fire, poison or bow). They're practically inexplicable, and really buggy.

Invite sent.

Thanks! I'm paranoid so would you mind editing my steamid out of your post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lynx posted:

Apparently John Wick's P30 has an in game model now. Do we know if that's going to be in that Wick weapon pack that was mentioned earlier in the thread?

There's also a Dragonuv sniper rifle on the table.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is there a way to do the safe house raid more than once? I soloed it just to see what it was like but I don't see it as a contract.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Can someone point in the right direction for a build? Haven't played since before they revamped the skilltree and I just randomly chose some skills. I have the feeling they are not optimized. At all. Even pointing out some must have perks would be nice.
I like to run around with the 308 machine gun and a submachine gun as secondary.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

shut up blegum posted:

Can someone point in the right direction for a build? Haven't played since before they revamped the skilltree and I just randomly chose some skills. I have the feeling they are not optimized. At all. Even pointing out some must have perks would be nice.
I like to run around with the 308 machine gun and a submachine gun as secondary.

Here's one idea. It's been tossed around in the thread a few times: http://pd2skills.com/#/v3/mACDfr:eL:tMOPr:gjlOqr:fMOPr:ibcdea::w34-20-31-30-34-33-11:s88-23-16-34-18:a1

It uses both the Kross Vertex SMG and M308 Assault Rifle with Silencers. Use the automatic 308 for precision shooting and the SMG for loving up dudes up close. Body Expertise lets you put the hurt on without always needing headshots and aced Surefire lets you deal with armored enemies.

Then you have Specialized Killing for extra silencer damage, aced Berserker for more damage and aced Frenzy for fantastic damage reduction. I've also slapped in Aced Inspire for dealing with :pubstove: rounds.

It isn't listed in the link but use the Anarchist Perk Deck. Two-piece Suit as well.

I don't know how well this one would work but with the massive HP boosts of all cops, Berserker Aced + other damage boosting skills are the way to go.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So how broken is this game right now?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Nettle Soup posted:

So how broken is this game right now?

Enemies on Mayhem or harder have way too much health and deal way too much damage. The changes obsoleted a large selection of weapons. If you aren't running some weapon benefiting from super skill buffing you'll just run out of ammo fast. (or using a Chivalry pack weapon)

One Down is Payday 2 cover shooter mode. Extreme damage and pinpoint perfect accuracy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Even outside of higher difficulty issues, a lot of maps seem to be suffering from National Guard Response-esque spawn bottlenecking at the moment. Good if you want 25 bag Cook Off to be a chill hour and a half, bad for fun cop shoot. Also said stuck cops are shouting their assault lines every ten seconds, which is funny at first, then gets annoying if they're stuck somewhere you can't even reach to shut them up.

With everyone running around stealthing 1D maps, it's also been a cavalcade of desync and dumb, fatigue-driven mistakes.

Even with all that, I wouldn't say the game is particularly broken, but it's definitely going to take more than the scope of the event to get everything settled again.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I have noticed that as well; last few games I played I actually asked if the host was running mutators. I think it's just a slight error in programming either because mutator implementation is coming in a few days or the new difficulty levels were supposed to increases spawn waves or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
HE rounds have apparently been nerfed, although I do not know the details. You can help defend a friend's safehouse and get another 6 coins.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Thanks! I'm paranoid so would you mind editing my steamid out of your post?

done.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

:swoon:

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

A thermal drill? For ME?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm long guide prophet Jon Cheeto and this is my favorite heister

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Discendo Vox posted:

You can help defend a friend's safehouse and get another 6 coins.

Everyone was going nuts over it yesterday yet it never showed up for me at all, did someone else's amidst that, and still haven't seen mine today either.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Discendo Vox posted:

HE rounds have apparently been nerfed, although I do not know the details. You can help defend a friend's safehouse and get another 6 coins.

done.

Loud mechanics and meta are such a mess right now. This is like KF2 resistances all over again

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

This is like KF2 resistances all over again

Let's not say things we can't take back now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Loud mechanics and meta are such a mess right now. This is like KF2 resistances all over again

Not really. I'm not saying the state of the game is necessarily good, but it's not hard to figure out an optimal build.

Everything is still viable on Overkill and good chunk of stuff is Mayhem-viable (though not optimal) if you're competent.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sykic posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back now.

I think Jules could get a job at Tripwire quite easily.

I was talking with merc about this last night but as we all know, mostly, breakpoints matter and the in-between doesn't. so if a 38 damage gun with a 75% buff from Overkill gets over a 40 dmg breakpoint, it doesn't matter if the next breakpoint is 80 and it doesn't matter that the buff is 75% (which looks huge, but in this case all that matters is 2) -- basically the percent change looks huge but in effect it's really not.

the way Jules balances, every single percent of that buff is required, because his baseline is "the absolute maximum" instead of what anyone reasonable would do. Which has the consequence of making those enormous jumps in damage meaningful at all times instead of usually irrelevant. It makes skill builds even more compressed (something to be avoided) and basically with the number of rounds your average enemy takes these days, it really is Tripwire-esque. Sorry Sykic, it checks out.

what was it, merc, 9 consecutive headshots on a tan with a 45 damage gun? Remember when 40 (well, displayed 42) was literally the only breakpoint that mattered?

LuciferMorningstar posted:

it's not hard to figure out an optimal build.

This isn't the problem at hand. Of course finding something optimal is possible. But that doesn't change how stupid the system is which produced that particular optimal build, or that drastically reduced the number and variety of optimal builds available.

e: also this is merc, you and I both know we're talking DW and above

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 12, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Psion posted:

This isn't the problem at hand. Of course finding something optimal is possible. But that doesn't change how stupid the system is which produced that particular optimal build, or that drastically reduced the number and variety of optimal builds available.

e: also this is merc, you and I both know we're talking DW and above

1. Then it's not messy. The meta is actually very tidy, since only a select set of builds are viable. Restrictive? Yeah. One Down is basically old DW.

2. Mayhem is basically DW with less damage. If it works on Mayhem, it probably works on DW.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i don't think anyone will argue with you that jules overreached here, considering that when he answered a few forums posts on what 1D builds should look like, every single one had frenzy/berserker/etc included and he still couldn't really get to the damage breakpoints that were really important, even with stuff like the M308. at the time he pretended like it didn't really matter but considering how 1D rolls loud nobody bought that for a second.

still though, if that's the biggest problem we end up having with this update stream i'd call it a decent success still. 1D at least throws weirdness into the game for a little while as they sort things out, and, here's the real kicker - it doesn't affect the fact that other difficulties are generally perfectly playable and fun. the KF2 resistance debacle made the entire game practically unplayable, and when people pointed that out temper tantrums were thrown. even jules, when trying to defend the design decisions, basically said "yeah folks have been asking for harder difficulties, and i was hoping to shake things up but i can see how you'd feel it was done the wrong way, so we'll make some changes and continue to tinker" instead of "how the gently caress can you not love all the late nights of work i did on something you literally never asked for WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU"

that level of reasonability alone would make him pretty out of place at TW, let alone the restraint shown by 'hm maybe i should only potentially gently caress up part of the game instead of all of it'

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Heh, fair. I have held from the beginning that I know Overkill will fix it - I certainly don't believe that of TWI, I'm being unfair to him. I concede that point.

Coolguye posted:

i don't think anyone will argue with you that jules overreached here, considering that when he answered a few forums posts on what 1D builds should look like, every single one had frenzy/berserker/etc included and he still couldn't really get to the damage breakpoints that were really important, even with stuff like the M308. at the time he pretended like it didn't really matter but considering how 1D rolls loud nobody bought that for a second.

Really makes you wonder what his logic was. "I can't actually make any build which works right for this difficulty, ship it" :confused:

and like I said earlier this is the same mistake from the same guy twice, so for me, I'm not particularly a fan of his, no. I think he systematically does balance wrong.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

LuciferMorningstar posted:

1. Then it's not messy. The meta is actually very tidy, since only a select set of builds are viable. Restrictive? Yeah. One Down is basically old DW.

2. Mayhem is basically DW with less damage. If it works on Mayhem, it probably works on DW.

You and I are using different definitions of messy. The meta is stupid as gently caress when the best build is a crossbow and a kunai instead of the dozens and dozens of guns which have all been suddenly made irrelevant. I consider that a mess, even if it means the viable set is very small and well defined.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 12, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Psion posted:

You and I are using different definitions of messy. The meta is stupid as gently caress when the best build is a crossbow and a kunai instead of the dozens and dozens of guns which have all been suddenly made irrelevant. I consider that a mess, even if it means the viable set is very small and well defined.

Crossbow is an option, but it's hardly the only one. Pretty sure we didn't use any medieval weapons when we cleared heists on loud one down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Psion posted:

Really makes you wonder what his logic was. "I can't actually make any build which works right for this difficulty, ship it" :confused:
yeah that's something i'd be curious to have explained. my personal guess is that he either undervalued how much one-click-kills on cops were worth, or actively set out to make those breakpoints infeasible to see how it messed with the team meta. and to be fair, it does mess with the team meta a lot. 1D cops take so long to kill that players really cannot break formation for any reason, because even if one or two extra enemies pressure them, they can't respond fast enough to stop the damage (which is extreme). it's the old argument that the steam forums rages back and forth on about how stuff like blue swat and bronco cops really aren't that big of a deal; yeah, they do a lot of damage, but they go down so fast that unless they surprise you they're much less effective than a tan, who can at least rush in and tap you before getting his face shot off. even that half-hearted mutator that made all cops blue swat i didn't feel was even remotely hard, because you knew what was going on and didn't get caught out. the biggest change in my behavior it forced was not hanging around crossfire spawn points. for them to be truly effective, you need to use them like mini-cloakers, showing up when and where they are not expected.

you might be able to argue that it's a fair experiment to see how a whole field of mini-cloakers works but i can't say anything to that except :cmon:

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF

Psion posted:

You've played enough loud One Down to come up with your opinion, right?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Psion posted:

Sorry Sykic, it checks out.

Counterpoint: I haven't had to put 5 shotgun rounds into a woman's face to kill her :v:. On a related note, it turns out the male FBI in Hox Breakout 2 take around 4 times as much damage to kill as the female FBI. Rude.

But for real though, I'm just happy the GL40 is extra awesome now.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Fast forward one or two updates, 1D gets nerfed and the elitists will harken back to the days of old 1D. Similar to the "old" Boiling Point posts that pop up on different forums.

I'm in console so I haven't played it.

I still think probably the best approach would have been to take DW and add friendly fire. The one death mechanic seems alright but from the videos I have seen guys are getting around that with swan song.

I'm not familiar with the skill but there is a video that got posted yesterday on Reddit where a guy solo'd fire starter 1D and kept going swan song and reviving himself. Probably went down 10 times.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
A fundamental problem with the HP side of the balance change is that it was treated as a straight multiplier. That's a fast, sloppy way to handle difficulty shifts (it's also the same way it was done on payday 1). The other factor that's getting less attention is that assault sizes and max number of enemies on the map also got rebalanced in a similarly ridiculous way- the cap is raised, but it was there for a reason. Computer speed is making more and more of a difference now. I believe one player encounters 1/4 of the number of enemies that a full team does. This paradoxically makes OD easier in many cases.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Stealth needs a nerf on 1D though, can we all agree? A minimum of 5 guards on 1D is all it would take to make that difficulty hard for stealth. It's broken as poo poo. And I'm saying that.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The problem I'm seeing with the weapons is 1) More than half the guns in the game are utterly unusable (ie under 80 damage) for half the difficulties, and 2) For most of the rest to qualify as useful requires really heavy skill investment to hit the so-so level, or 3) I can take one of a half-dozen weapons (the bows/grenade launchers) that require no skill investment and do better than most of the weapons in #2.

That's pretty poo poo design. Part of why the skill revamp was good is that it took us away from having 2-3 really usable builds into a lot more options that were viable, even if they weren't optimal. Reducing it back down again so that half the game's difficulties can only be played with 1-2 nearly identical builds and 5% of the weapons is dumb. One Down being a tough challenge that requires optimization, that's how it should be. But Mayhem's the real one sticking out right now as out of balance. That and the bows.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1D stealth is fundamentally the same as DW stealth and I honestly see no problem with that at this point in time. Sure, fine, go back and take a look at it after the loud mechanics are ironed out, but stealth still works and is a lot harder to make changes to than loud play just because so much is map-dependent.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

Stealth needs a nerf on 1D though, can we all agree? A minimum of 5 guards on 1D is all it would take to make that difficulty hard for stealth. It's broken as poo poo. And I'm saying that.

Simpler than that. Take away a pager.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
I was half-expecting One Down to only allow One Pager, forcing you to go loud for the H&T Bank Heists and poo poo where you can normally lock it down, and giving you only the slightest bit of leeway on stealth-focused maps. I'm pretty okay with it not doing that, though.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ClonedPickle posted:

I was half-expecting One Down to only allow One Pager, forcing you to go loud for the H&T Bank Heists and poo poo where you can normally lock it down, and giving you only the slightest bit of leeway on stealth-focused maps. I'm pretty okay with it not doing that, though.
That would pretty much completely gently caress Shadow Raid and other cant-go-loud heists. Though there have been plenty of times that I have beaten Murky Station without killing a dude.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Medics, fun...

quote:

In order to increase the life expectancy of police officers when facing the immense firepower of the PAYDAY Gang, the Washington Metro Police has finally received much needed reinforcements. Well-trained, armed Medic units can now provide instant first aid during combat, keeping officers in the fight for longer. Though some of the more jaded veterans in the force are commenting that these new guys just became a new priority target...

http://www.overkillsoftware.com/ovk-media/video/house/medic-revivex.mp4

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

New Enemy!

It's a Medic. :getin:

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

:siren: Getting tazed will no longer reload your currently equipped weapon :siren:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sykic posted:

:siren: Getting tazed will no longer reload your currently equipped weapon :siren:

That's really, really lovely.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I think the single working build was probably their version of a high bid. It woulda sucked for them if 1D shipped as too easy, so it's best to make it less breakable in terms of varying strategies at first. Then they could maybe tone it down later on once they had a good idea of just how tough it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mendrian posted:

New Enemy!

It's a Medic. :getin:

If you listen real close, you can hear a :spergin: yell "SHOOT THE GOD drat MEDIC ALREADY".