Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Now whincup is attempting to apologise. Doubt thats going to go well for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:siren: Red Bull Protest :siren:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/10/09/red-bull-protest-casts-doubt-over-bathurst-result/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I dont think I have seen an incident where all three drivers were legitimatly at fault for the crash at various stages before.

-Whincup's attempted overtake was somewhat stupid
- Tander was a loving idiot in the middle - he def. contributed to what came next with his stupid attempt at taking advantage of the redress
- McLaughan's race re-entry was truly dumb at the end

I'll take a bet and say if Tander hadnt DNF'ed, he would have been visiting the Stewards too.

Three dickheads trying to occupy the same space.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I haven't seen Bathurst but Red Bull complains so it must have been good.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont think I have seen an incident where all three drivers were legitimatly at fault for the crash at various stages before.

- Tander was a loving idiot in the middle - he def. contributed to what came next with his stupid attempt at taking advantage of the redress

I'll take a bet and say if Tander hadnt DNF'ed, he would have been visiting the Stewards too.

this is one of those things that I prefer NASCAR for

3 guys racing for the win, you'd never see a penalty for throwing a shoulder block. I could see ramming a dude in the back drawing a penalty, but door to door contact wouldn't and there would be no cause for redress

redress is a fairly unsafe rule, IMO

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VikingSkull posted:

this is one of those things that I prefer NASCAR for

3 guys racing for the win, you'd never see a penalty for throwing a shoulder block. I could see ramming a dude in the back drawing a penalty, but door to door contact wouldn't and there would be no cause for redress

redress is a fairly unsafe rule, IMO

Redress is a perfectly safe rule - it's been applied many times perfectly fine. And it wasnt McLaughan who got the redress penalty for closing the door, like you seem to be saying. Wincup made a move that simply never truly on and caused the initial contact, he realised he was wrong and immediatly and safely slowed - and even went off the racing line. Redress just means you got a corner or two to allow the person you unfairly punted to get back in front on your own volition so you dont draw further stewards ire. What made the redress unsafe was NOT the act itself, Tander deciding to be an idiot trying to take advantage and McLaughan barrelling back onto the track in a dickhead manner.

I'd rather watch the first 85 laps of this snoozefest over NASCAR anyway

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tander was going to pass Whingecup at the exit of the Chase, and you could see Whingecup brake check Tander, causing Tander to lose all the speed he had coming out of the Chase. It wasn't a stupid move by Tander, he had the speed and was right in making a pass. However McLaughan's re-entry was completely stupid and Tander could have never see that happening.

Once again Whingecup ruins what could've been a Red Bull win at Bathurst, third year in a row.

And gently caress Red Bull for putting in a protest, I hope they get a kick in the arse.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Whincup is not entitled to block Tander while performing the redress, he essentially brake checked Tander in a non braking zone like an rear end in a top hat because he didn't want to lose out from his reckless move on McLaughlin. in V8SC, redressing means you safely drop down the field and slot in behind the guy you disadvantaged. If that means other guys get past you too, that's your punishment, you can't try to unsafely manipulate how you do it to avoid losing spots.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
The F5000-esque class that was announced a few months ago has finally put a prototype on the track.

https://www.facebook.com/FT5000/

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

dsriggs posted:

The F5000-esque class that was announced a few months ago has finally put a prototype on the track.

:jackbud:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
http://webmshare.com/play/MebMZ

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That airbox is sexy as gently caress.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
That series is going to loving own.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Swift 017.n has never looked so good.

Also them huge rear tires.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That is a very good looking racing automobile.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hoooooly poo poo that sounds amazing.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's not an airbox, that's a periscope.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Bentai posted:

Hoooooly poo poo that sounds amazing.

Engines that go BRAAARRRRRP BBBBRRRAAAAAAAARRRRPPPPP are the best engines.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dsriggs posted:

this is a proper racing automobile

e- it would be radder with wings that extended to the outside of the wheels, though

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 12, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

this is a proper racing automobile

No loving poo poo. I see nothing here that I don't already like.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I was really gonna bite my tongue but I've been saying for years that's a solution both F1 and Indycar should be looking at. Both could go whatever way they want with it, but 5.0L V8's seem to be the perfect engines for open wheel cars. I like the turbos as much as anyone, but poo poo, that sound.

If F1 wants to run some exotic quad cam and Indy goes production based to appeal to our market, all the better.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Engines that go BRAAARRRRRP BBBBRRRAAAAAAAARRRRPPPPP are the best engines.

This thing produces my favorite car sounds. Right down to the loud loving brakes.
https://youtu.be/X0fG5UNh1UQ

Norns fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 12, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I was really gonna bite my tongue but I've been saying for years that's a solution both F1 and Indycar should be looking at. Both could go whatever way they want with it, but 5.0L V8's seem to be the perfect engines for open wheel cars. I like the turbos as much as anyone, but poo poo, that sound.

If F1 wants to run some exotic quad cam and Indy goes production based to appeal to our market, all the better.

well the problem is that you will get zero auto manufacturers to have anything to do with that engine formula. so it's really a question of how much you like money. and top-level racing teams like money a lot.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

well the problem is that you will get zero auto manufacturers to have anything to do with that engine formula. so it's really a question of how much you like money. and top-level racing teams like money a lot.

You're right, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, Mercedes, Chevrolet, and Ford have no V8 road cars anymore.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

You're right, BMW, Audi, Ferrari, Mercedes, Chevrolet, and Ford have no V8 road cars anymore.

you're right, that's definitely the point

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

you're right, that's definitely the point

it's about as meaningful as a "nah the manufacturers all came together as a cohesive coalition and told me no"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

every time I think maybe you can partake in an intelligent conversation you just fart in my mouth.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
well I mean any time this gets discussed one of like three people diddy bop on in and say nah fuckin manufacturers are against it, with no proof whatsoever

what am I supposed to do, argue in good faith?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

lol @ no proof whatsoever

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that post would've been an excellent opportunity to present it I'm thinking

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Norns posted:

This thing produces my favorite car sounds. Right down to the loud loving brakes.
https://youtu.be/X0fG5UNh1UQ

The Audi 90 GTO really is a magical car. I bought it in iracing a week ago and its like an automotive symphony every time you drive it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

how many major racing series have developed new engine specs in the several years? how many have done so with direct and significant manufacturer involvement? how many have introduced engines similar to what you're describing?

people don't present "proof" because it's patently obvious to anyone who spends a modicum of time following racing, which you would expect of someone who posts in 18 different racing threads. i also don't explain what cars are before every post. that knowledge is implied. you do this poo poo to yourself, viking.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

wicka posted:

how many major racing series have developed new engine specs in the several years? how many have done so with direct and significant manufacturer involvement? how many have introduced engines similar to what you're describing?

people don't present "proof" because it's patently obvious to anyone who spends a modicum of time following racing, which you would expect of someone who posts in 18 different racing threads. i also don't explain what cars are before every post. that knowledge is implied. you do this poo poo to yourself, viking.

Indycar and F1, yes, no they made more complex ones

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

e: nah this is pointless

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the manufacturers have basically dictacted terms on what they want engine formulas to be and literally no one said "5.0L V8s'

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the manufacturers have basically dictacted terms on what they want engine formulas to be and literally no one said "5.0L V8s'

But when you're making what I assume is a spec series no-one really gives a poo poo about what the manufacturers want so long as you can find one that'll make you an engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

njsykora posted:

But when you're making what I assume is a spec series no-one really gives a poo poo about what the manufacturers want so long as you can find one that'll make you an engine.

Or one you can just keep getting crate motors from.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, like I'd assume Chevy aren't exactly short of V8s given pretty much every time I see people talk about putting a V8 in a kit car it's a Chevy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

njsykora posted:

Yeah, like I'd assume Chevy aren't exactly short of V8s given pretty much every time I see people talk about putting a V8 in a kit car it's a Chevy.

The LS is an economy of scale thing, dead simple, powerful, and cheap to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

njsykora posted:

which is fine for F5000, but absolutely not an option for indycar and F1, unless they've just given up on being relevant

• Locked thread