Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

FedEx Mercury posted:

I liked the new Spiderman from Civil War, I would definitely go see a movie just about him and his hot aunt, and for the record I hated Amazing Spiderman and didn't even bother with the sequel.

for all that was expected of them (the actual people who worked on the movie, not the characters in the story) civil war was a pretty competent movie, compared to DC's offerings this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
As a life-long Spider-man fan, the amazing Spider-man movies were almost unbelievable.

They were trying to bring one of the worst story-lines from the comics onto the big screen (the clone saga), and they couldn't even get to that point because they hosed everything up so bad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
...those movies were supposed to be the clone saga?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Everything with his parents being spies is part of the clone saga so I assume they were building up to that or the ultimate spider-man story-line of his dad creating the Venom symbiote, which is just as bad.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
actually those movies were good and cool

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't watch any of the spidermans with the guy with the dumb hair, looks like i dodged a bullet

I agree the civil war spiderman was good though. Had a good vibe

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I like how the last spiderman had way too many villains and the coolest villain was only in it for 2 minutes at the end.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zzulu posted:

I didn't watch any of the spidermans with the guy with the dumb hair, looks like i dodged a bullet

I agree the civil war spiderman was good though. Had a good vibe

In the first one there's a scene where all the crane operators working on the OWTC or something all coordinate their cranes to allow spiderman to save the day and it's so loving dumb it's amazing.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

I like how the last spiderman had way too many villains and the coolest villain was only in it for 2 minutes at the end.

lol how was diet green goblin cool at all?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

a bone to pick posted:

We all know he's called The Hobgoblin, you don't need to feign ignorance.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Why did you guys warch all the spiderman movies you hate? I only saw 1 and played the spiderman 2 videogame on ps2

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Venom is the best spider man villain because being a good super-villain is 80% character design.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Buschmaki posted:

Why did you guys warch all the spiderman movies you hate? I only saw 1 and played the spiderman 2 videogame on ps2

If you don't watch movies you hate then you'll never experience the filmography of Adam Sandler.

edit: There was a joke somewhere in my post. It had the elements of Films You Hate, Films You Like, Adam Sandler movies, and Spiderman. I will find a joke for it. Begin the countdown [0:00].

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 12, 2016

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
The HitB for that last Spiderman movie was good because of how much they hated it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

I mean the Rhino. Was he not in the last one?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Buschmaki posted:

The only enjoyment I get out of super hero movies of any kind at this point is through RLM's review because no way in hell am I gonna be conned into seeing those stupid things anymore.

Except Guardians 2. I'll probably see that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I might check out Doctor Strange. I begrudgingly see marvel movies and end up enjoying them so gently caress it why not.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

powerful sex moves posted:

no way in hell am I gonna be conned into seeing those stupid things anymore.

i don't believe you

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I started skipping Marvel movies somewhere around Thor: Dark World.

My MO for DC movies is to promise myself and the world I'll never see them and then end up seeing them just to see how disappointed they'll make me. Then I fall asleep at night coming up with lists of how I would've made the movie better.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JB50 posted:

I mean the Rhino. Was he not in the last one?

Oh no, you're right. I completely forgot he was in the movie for literally 2 minutes like you said.

Paul Giamatti has fallen pretty fuckin hard..

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 12, 2016

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Veskit posted:

I might check out Doctor Strange. I begrudgingly see marvel movies and end up enjoying them so gently caress it why not.
Oh yeah, Dr. Strange looked kinda interesting too.

Most of the Marvel movies I've seen have been enjoyable but I'm sick of the whole style at this point. I fell asleep twice during the second Avengers even though what I saw of it was fun because, like, who could possibly give a poo poo about any of the stuff happening on the screen right now?

Libelous Slander posted:

i don't believe you
No, really. I haven't seen any since Age of Ultron and that was only because Fury Road was sold out.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Buschmaki posted:

That was such a goddamn good video game. It was so choice. It was like tony hawk pro spider-man. Every spider-man game after that had goddamn quicktime event cutscenes.

The only thing it needed was a newsie on the street going "extree, extree, prison escape" and you go down and get a paper and whoops it turns out the rhino escaped you get to do that boss fight again.

Without those challenge boss fights that so obviously should have existed, you max out your skills and tricks and you can only ever use them to catch loose balloons, forever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw one of those comic book movies on a long flight, it was poo poo and I never want to see another.

A too-big cast of characters with seemingly random but also extremely mismatched powers (some people have actual extremely powerful super powers while others have the ability to be "very pretty" or "good with a bow and loving arrow") fight some robots and then a bunch of slavs fly up in the air and need to be rescued and then the robot is defeated. Every scene was a contrived set piece to either show off so much action and CG you go numb from it, or a bunch of "cool quips" between characters to show how cool and quippy they are. Absolute trash, but god drat do they shovel a lot of those. Every time I walk past the theatre it's something like "MARVEL'S AGE OF ICE VS DC" "Captain America 5: The Hulk Insurrection" "AVENGERS ULTRA: The Winter Spidermans" "A bunch of garbage with a stan lee cameo 12: Keep buying tickets for this trash you loving man-children". It all blurs together like someone's putting comic book names and characters into some random plot generator then throwing hundreds of millions at it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I saw one of those comic book movies on a long flight, it was poo poo and I never want to see another.

A too-big cast of characters with seemingly random but also extremely mismatched powers (some people have actual extremely powerful super powers while others have the ability to be "very pretty" or "good with a bow and loving arrow") fight some robots and then a bunch of slavs fly up in the air and need to be rescued and then the robot is defeated. Every scene was a contrived set piece to either show off so much action and CG you go numb from it, or a bunch of "cool quips" between characters to show how cool and quippy they are. Absolute trash, but god drat do they shovel a lot of those. Every time I walk past the theatre it's something like "MARVEL'S AGE OF ICE VS DC" "Captain America 5: The Hulk Insurrection" "AVENGERS ULTRA: The Winter Spidermans" "A bunch of garbage with a stan lee cameo 12: Keep buying tickets for this trash you loving man-children". It all blurs together like someone's putting comic book names and characters into some random plot generator then throwing hundreds of millions at it.

Sauce yer qwotes.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

He's right.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I watch all the marvel movies at home on the TV so I think some of the magic is lost from it because I think these movies are designed to be seen in the cinema with your friends

I gotta say Age of Ultron was not very good at all. Neither was Captain America: civil war... There just wasnt anything to them. I can't even remember how the final fight between Captain USA and Tony Ironman went

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are all these comic book movies only fun for people who grew up with those comics and have a ton of familiarity and nostalgia for them?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I do agree with your point about the disparity of powers some of these heros have. Some are near omnipotent (Vision, Scarlet Witch, Phoenix and Hulk to a lesser extent), but yet they never seem to use the full scope of their powers.

I guess they dont want the movie to be 15 minutes long.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

Are all these comic book movies only fun for people who grew up with those comics and have a ton of familiarity and nostalgia for them?

No actually, it seems like majority of people who watch these movies, whether they are a fan of the comics or not, really enjoy them. It only seems that really anal, un-humorous people dislike them, hth.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Baronjutter posted:

Have you tried looking outside the forums or talking to people outside about them

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

No actually, it seems like majority of people who watch these movies, whether they are a fan of the comics or not, really enjoy them. It only seems that really anal, un-humorous people dislike them, hth.

No it's idiots who like them. People who like to be spoon-fed 12 minutes of action every 6 minutes with color-coded characters. Characters whose development is equivalent to a six-page carboard book for toddlers where the goose and the rooster learn at the end that teamwork is good!

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

Or we're just sick of them because they're just empty pointless popcorn movies and there are only so many times we can get excited about a blue laser shooting into the sky?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a bone to pick posted:

Same could be said about the most successful movie franchise of all time; Transformers. Truly some amazingly great movies there

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Like I said, very anal, un-humorous people dislike the movies.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
I can't believe we let casual superhero talk pollute this thread. Jesus Christ someone please talk about pre rec. or even just Jack.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

Like I said, very anal, un-humorous people dislike the movies.

An interesting theory, but like astrology unsupported by facts.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

Zzulu posted:

I watch all the marvel movies at home on the TV

You are absolutely right. These movies are designed, from editing, sound design, visual aspects, casting, and story type (how serious or deep to take the script) for a movie theater experience. By themselves they are ridiculous, with far-flung plots and simple morals, and a small screen and speakers lose a lot in translation.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

People with no sense of humor, such as the people posting in the thread devoted to comedy movie reviewers RedLetterMedia (who are also pretty sick of this poo poo, incidentally).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I can't believe we let casual superhero talk pollute this thread. Jesus Christ someone please talk about pre rec. or even just Jack.

I always intended for this thread to be the emergency valve to all the insufferable RLM side-talk that was polluting the RLM-Classic thread.

• Locked thread