Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

redlining? blockbusting? sundown cities? any of those ring a bell?

"has less to do with racial politics" is not the same as "has nothing to do with racial politics" try again

northern cities enacted shadow hidden segregation. southern cities enacted legal overt segregation. that's a big difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

woke wedding drone posted:

Oh no, scum behaved like scum and then I called them scum! It's over with now!

No, he's right. This utter lack of empathy or ability to understand how people arrive at the conclusions that they do is the exact problem with American politics. In many cases it is literally the precise behavior that you and other posters criticize in conservatives. Nobody is here trying to excuse the KKK or whatever, but the average person's political opinions are determined primarily by circumstance, upbringing and peer pressure and we're never going to get people over to our side with scorn and ridicule being the primary tool of argumentation.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The nice thing about the MU Law Poll twitter is they pretty much post all the toplines and choice crosstabs, like this:
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/786258666555006976
https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/786258737392594944

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

PT6A posted:

I don't get why terrible people get a pass for living in rural areas. I grew up in a town of 600 people in the middle of nowhere and while there were a lot of terrible people, there were also plenty of people who weren't terrible. Why act like the terrible people have no other option but to place their heads firmly up their rear end?

Because it's the attitude of "lol, gently caress'em" that is leading to a lot of rural poverty which in turn is causing a populist uprising. Like that Cracked article noted, they are hopeless and have nothing left to lose, so they might as well vote Trump since he's the only one that's kind of sympathic to their plight, even if he is full of poo poo.

And before someone goes on about how progressives feel for their plight too, the one rural poverty thread on this board got gassed because people were literally advocating for reverse Cultural Revolutions and Final Solutions to the problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Goatman Sacks posted:

Otoh Emmett Till had to go south to get lynched, sooooo

And :nws:This happened in Minnesota.:nws:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

This needs a :nms: although it was definitely implied.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Well gosh

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sit on my Facebook posted:

No, he's right. This utter lack of empathy or ability to understand how people arrive at the conclusions that they do is the exact problem with American politics. In many cases it is literally the precise behavior that you and other posters criticize in conservatives. Nobody is here trying to excuse the KKK or whatever, but the average person's political opinions are determined primarily by circumstance, upbringing and peer pressure and we're never going to get people over to our side with scorn and ridicule being the primary tool of argumentation.

They can't be recovered, they need to be cut off. I can empathize with what led them to this point, but I can empathize with people who commit murder too. And their choice to support Trump is just as bad and the consequences are more severe than murder.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

PT6A posted:

I don't get why terrible people get a pass for living in rural areas. I grew up in a town of 600 people in the middle of nowhere and while there were a lot of terrible people, there were also plenty of people who weren't terrible. Why act like the terrible people have no other option but to place their heads firmly up their rear end?

"Many rural people have only ever known one way of life and thinking and don't have a great way to deal with the fact that their views don't line up with people in cities. They feel attacked and isolated by 'urban liberals'. This isn't to excuse them but to explain them"

*goon nodding solemnly* "gently caress em"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

OAquinas posted:

Crossposting from the CSPAM/BoneZone:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps-rise-that-no-one-talks-about/

It's actually a decent piece from Cracked (really!) about where Trump supporters are coming from, while fully acknowledging how terrible their opinions are.

This poo poo is sticking with us even after the orange vulgarian departs the scene, so it's definitely worth a read.

quote:

To them, it seems like the plight of poor minorities is only used as a club to bat away white cries for help.
White cries for help are typically batted away by GOP politicians and rural community leaders with shrieks of "bootstraps!" and "my tax dollars!" Those damned liberal Democrats usually don't enter into the conversation, and too often when they do it's to ask "how can we help" just before being threatened with murder.

That's why the urban centers don't give a gently caress about rural America. We're not elitist, we just realize any resources or attention we divert to those areas will either be refused or sabotaged or pissed away. gently caress them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Feldegast42 posted:

Because it's the attitude of "lol, gently caress'em" that is leading to a lot of rural poverty which in turn is causing a populist uprising. Like that Cracked article noted, they are hopeless and have nothing left to lose, so they might as well vote Trump since he's the only one that's kind of sympathic to their plight, even if he is full of poo poo.

rural people have felt picked on and insecure long before the internet, this is nothing new. this is just simmering culture war poo poo, it's getting worse now because it's obvious rural people are 'losing' the culture war

on the other hand, it's hard to feel sympathy for people who consistently vote against better healthcare, better welfare, and more government support because of a pervasive belief that government is awful and corrupt, and then become utterly shocked when it turns out they're hitting their old age and the state government isn't equipped to step in and assist with healthcare, welfare, and support when they need the progams they consistently voted against

Feldegast42 posted:

And before someone goes on about how progressives feel for their plight too, the one rural poverty thread on this board got gassed because people were literally advocating for reverse Cultural Revolutions and Final Solutions to the problem.

its not gassed :confused:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788023

and that was just one person who was called out for being an idiot. relax

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 12, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

:ohdear:

Basically you can find multiple instances of terrible racism, violence, and racial terrorism in every state in the union.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Feldegast42 posted:

If they refuse all help and are actively hurting themselves and the rest of the country then massive and long-term efforts to utterly change their ways and opinions down to the bedrock level is about the only option left.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Poor people don't vote.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

They can't be recovered, they need to be cut off. I can empathize with what led them to this point, but I can empathize with people who commit murder too. And their choice to support Trump is just as bad and the consequences are more severe than murder.

:chloe:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

They can't be recovered, they need to be cut off, (other dumb poo poo)

This is a horrible opinion and you should feel ashamed of it.

"Cutting them off" is simply not an option, even if I were to concede that that is an acceptable solution, which it's not. We all live in the same country and we all share the same representative government and you don't get to just decide who's worthy of representation and who isn't.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

because rural white people made their own bed and now they have to lie down in it? So what, they're going to tantrum more than they currently are? Do they want to expand medicaid, or implement state paid for drug rehab? what about increasing taxes to pay for mental health clinics? Maybe some more food stamps? How about some infrastructure spending? If the answer to any of these is no then I don't know what is expected.

They don't want any of these things (except maybe infrastructure.) They want jobs. The only problem with this is that for centuries, all the jobs have been moving to the city. You can't exactly teleport a Starbucks to the middle of nowhere. A 1000 seat call-center isn't going to set up in a village with 200 inhabitants.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

We're not gassed yet, just puttering along quietly in the background :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788023&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

If they refuse all help and are actively hurting themselves and the rest of the country then massive and long-term efforts to utterly change their ways and opinions down to the bedrock level is about the only option left.

Most don't though, most don't vote.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kilroy posted:

That's why the urban centers don't give a gently caress about rural America. We're not elitist, we just realize any resources or attention we divert to those areas will either be refused or sabotaged or pissed away. gently caress them.

You could rephrase this to be about urban poverty and sound exactly like a Republican.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/SnoopDogg/status/785932651337089024

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Death Bot posted:

"Many rural people have only ever known one way of life and thinking and don't have a great way to deal with the fact that their views don't line up with people in cities. They feel attacked and isolated by 'urban liberals'. This isn't to excuse them but to explain them"

*goon nodding solemnly* "gently caress em"

My point is it doesn't actually explain them because there are plenty of people who have only ever known a rural way of life, or indeed have actively decided to seek it out, who don't hold hateful and destructive views, because, as it turns out, living in the middle of nowhere doesn't mean you're naturally ignorant and incapable of personal growth. I know people in the town I grew up in who don't use cellphones or e-mail they're so "rural" and yet, guess what, they still think Trump is a raving bastard, and a good portion of them voted against the Conservative party in our most recent election up here.

EDIT: Rural people are not simply children who don't know any better, and it's incredibly insulting to treat them as if they are. These people are adults, and they can own their lovely, hateful beliefs.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 12, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I was only semi-serious when I said Scott Walker's going to steal Wisconsin for the GOP. If it's actually this close for the POTUS and Senate races I could see him doing some blatantly illegal poo poo to flip it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

:shittypop:

Daaaamn.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's incredibly stupid to be SedanChair shortsighted to discount a huge chunk of the population when there are concerted and well-funded efforts to lie to them. The Breitbart (and when I say Breitbart I'm wrapping in the large world of internet-based right-wing news) media machine is massive and influential. Of course people have dumb opinions, they're coming to them from bad facts. Until there's an effective way to address that, and I don't have one, it won't change. But further pushing people into their reactionary bubble just makes problems worse.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

This is some terrible poo poo and you should feel ashamed of yourself.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Kilroy posted:

Dude. Seriously.

"We're not elitist, we just recognize that those dumb hicks are beyond salvation so gently caress them."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Feldegast42 posted:

I think there is a difference between making GBS threads on the poor, and making GBS threads on the poor that refuse to accept help.

Its not cool to want to write off mississippi because of lovely people with lovely opinions. It is however okay to sht on mississipi for not changing its style of governance to address the real problems of poverty the state faces. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

So democrats can continue to advocate for social programs and increased taxes, which is exactly what is needed. But if people don't want that help then they can sit in their own squalor. You can't magick self-sufficiency into place. it has to be built. communities need infusions of cash and capital so hey can develop and attract people and industry. you do that by putting government dollars into local communities. this requires taxes to be raised. if you don't do those things then there is literally nothing to be done except let economics take its course and those communities will die.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was only semi-serious when I said Scott Walker's going to steal Wisconsin for the GOP. If it's actually this close for the POTUS and Senate races I could see him doing some blatantly illegal poo poo to flip it.

Is that one supervisor of elections still working in Wisconsin? Wouldn't put it past her, tbh.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

White cries for help are typically batted away by GOP politicians and rural community leaders with shrieks of "bootstraps!" and "my tax dollars!" Those damned liberal Democrats usually don't enter into the conversation, and too often when they do it's to ask "how can we help" just before being threatened with murder.

lol I honestly pity the hate in your ❤️

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's incredibly stupid to be SedanChair shortsighted to discount a huge chunk of the population when there are concerted and well-funded efforts to lie to them. The Breitbart (and when I say Breitbart I'm wrapping in the large world of internet-based right-wing news) media machine is massive and influential. Of course people have dumb opinions, they're coming to them from bad facts. Until there's an effective way to address that, and I don't have one, it won't change. But further pushing people into their reactionary bubble just makes problems worse.

Ban right wing news.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Trump is pivoting so goddamn hard right now in Florida:

Clinton wants a world government;
I want power of veto... over the media;
Ryan's lack of congratulations for my debate performance is part of a conspiracy;
polls are crooked;
I wasn't really kidding when I said Obama founded Isis.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Ban right wing news.
How does this work?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/786260398995443712
Eat gently caress, Trump :smug:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

canepazzo posted:

Ryan's lack of congratulations for my debate performance is part of a conspiracy;
polls are crooked;

He should lay off the nose candy, holy poo poo.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Thanks, I hadn't seen it for awhile so I assumed the worst.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

canepazzo posted:

polls are crooked;

So Alex Jones is directly feeding him talking points now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's the return of 08 Campaign Obama.

He is fired up, and he wants to bury Trump and how.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

canepazzo posted:

polls are crooked;

He'll tucker out a little in a week or so, then something else will set him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

paperwind posted:

So Alex Jones is directly feeding him talking points now.

This has been true for a while.

• Locked thread