Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Find an average man in normal-fitting pants and cram your phone in his pants pocket. Bonus points if you ask permission first. If he has a shirt pocket, try that too. This is what men with jobs that don't require suits have to deal with on a daily basis.

Seriously, the Nexus 6 is huge. It's well beyond the optimal size for general targeted-at-everybody phones. Not saying you can't like huge phones, just explaining what I suspect is the reason google is walking size back a bit.

Carried my N6 in my jeans pocket just fine (not a hipster so no skinny jeans). I preferred the 6" screen to the slightly smaller 6P and am a bit nervous of the pixel being slightly smaller again. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the N6 was just the right size for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Psycho Society posted:

It says that, but the lens is still f-2.0 and almost all of the photos google has released are in daylight. I'd guess in daytime they're excellent, but the S7 and the iphone will surely beat it out in low light.
f/2.0 isn't slow, and the pixel has the "ultrapixel" 1.55 micron pixels. It should do very well in low light.

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone else find scanning barcodes with the 6P to be super frustrating? It's so hard to get it to focus on the barcode.
It does have an annoyingly far MFD (minimum focus distance). Its not bad once you learn to hold the camera a little further out.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 12, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I went with the 5" pixel after owning a 5.7" phone for the past year (MXP.)

There were a few factors for that. It wasn't so much about how it fit in pocket, but anywhere else. I have trouble fitting it anywhere in either of my cars. All of the center console cubbies are just slightly too small. It's even ill fitting in the cupholders since it's so tall to be top heavy. It's top-heavy on pretty much any desktop stand as well.

I also looked at what it really gave me. Information density was exactly the same between my MXP and Nexus 5x. I could see the same amount of text on screen for every app. So, really, it was just making everything larger.

Finally, it was the realities of the Pixel XL. It's actually taller than my MXP despite having a smaller screen, making all the issues I have with the MXP worse. Meanwhile, the smaller pixel was almost exactly the same size as my Droid Turbo which I always felt hit the sweet spot in size in hand for me.

Both having the same SoC means that the Pixel will perform better since it's driving a lower resolution.

What it boils down to is I like the size of my N5x under most circumstances more than my MXP and going with the smaller size had other advantages.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Are there known problems with the Nexus 5X bluetooth? I just got one yesterday and all the various BT devices I use (headphones, shower radio, car, etc) and worked perfectly with my Nexus5 are giving it a lot of trouble.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

..btt posted:

Carried my N6 in my jeans pocket just fine (not a hipster so no skinny jeans). I preferred the 6" screen to the slightly smaller 6P and am a bit nervous of the pixel being slightly smaller again. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but the N6 was just the right size for me.

Unrelated: I think it's funny how often this means "my jeans don't look like they fit me". You can have well fitting jeans that aren't skinny jeans or make you look like a hipster.

Related: I'm going from a nexus 6 to a pixel small, and I'm curious how long it will take to adjust.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah sorry you are right, I should clarify! If the camera thinks it should engage "night mode", it takes mediocre pictures. Dusk, indoor, etc are generally fine. The 6p takes much better low light shots fwiw

Yeah I've resigned to not relying on the auto mode in anything but sunny conditions. In dimly lit scenes HDR can tend to overexpose/blow out the image unnaturally (which is nice for making a legible photo but not as nice for accuracy) and if you turn it off Night mode engages and it's pretty much useless if you don't have the world's steadiest hands.

Luckily the stock camera app's manual mode is quite robust so getting okay pictures in low-light is possible if you're willing to futz around with settings. Not exactly ideal, but you're not completely up the creek without a paddle.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, who remotely hacked hell's Nest thermostat?

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/12/verizon-pixel-xl-updates-google-same-time/

quote:

Verizon said that they “will not stand in the way” of any major updates that Google pushes and that owners of Verizon variants will see updates when Google’s unlocked Pixels see them.

Verizon also said that “all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google,” but maybe most importantly, that “when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time. (much like iOS updates).” 

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Of course that could easily mean that Google will not be releasing updates for anyone until they meet Verizon's exacting and elite specifications.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, you can't please everyone. Note that they did say specifically that they would not be standing the the way.

The more likely scenario is that Verizon and Google have aligned on a testing methodology that means updates that pass Google automatically pass Verizon.

Regardless, it's an important step for Google because being treated like a iOS is a huge step forward for Android and a marked advantage for Pixel devices.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it re: the Verizon updates. I'll be thrilled if they hold to it but I've been burned before on companies promising timely updates that never come.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

Unrelated: I think it's funny how often this means "my jeans don't look like they fit me". You can have well fitting jeans that aren't skinny jeans or make you look like a hipster.

Related: I'm going from a nexus 6 to a pixel small, and I'm curious how long it will take to adjust.

If your phone isn't leaving a noticeable fade on your jeans then your jeans don't fit right. :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have the Spigen Note7 case for 2 months, and Spigen is being amazing and letting me return it for a full refund, even despite a little scratch on it. Is their customer service always this good? I've usually bought Diztronic which has amazing service, but this is awesome too.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Spigen is amazing, that doesn't surprise me. My girlfriend's S6 edge+ case broke a piece off of it, entirely her fault, and they sent her a replacement case with express shipping.

Plus their promotion prices the week before a phone released is amazing. I bought about four Spigen cases on their Amazon.ca promotion before the N7 launch and I think the total bill was $30

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 12, 2016

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

El Mido posted:

Yeah I've resigned to not relying on the auto mode in anything but sunny conditions. In dimly lit scenes HDR can tend to overexpose/blow out the image unnaturally (which is nice for making a legible photo but not as nice for accuracy) and if you turn it off Night mode engages and it's pretty much useless if you don't have the world's steadiest hands.

Luckily the stock camera app's manual mode is quite robust so getting okay pictures in low-light is possible if you're willing to futz around with settings. Not exactly ideal, but you're not completely up the creek without a paddle.

This is good to hear. I wish the two at Best Buy near me worked, maybe they've just got dead batteries. Pretty sure they're not just appearance models, anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You will all be impressed and want to be me when you hear that I go caseless with my 6P. It's just a nice lookin' phone and I don't want to cover it up. Of course it's huge and slippery but I'm an adventurous soul.

No scratches or drops yet!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You will all be impressed and want to be me when you hear that I go caseless with my 6P. It's just a nice lookin' phone and I don't want to cover it up. Of course it's huge and slippery but I'm an adventurous soul.

No scratches or drops yet!

Heck yeah caseless is the way to go.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If they made these for Android this would be the way to go
https://jamieclawson.com/

That stingray was the bomb on my iphone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

RZA Encryption posted:

Heck yeah caseless is the way to go.

Naked 5 here. :hfive:

(I had a Spigen case, but I just didn't care for the extra weight and bulk)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I carried my Nexus 4 for a little over two years without a case. I dropped it on pavement once getting out of my car, and it just scuffed the side.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I would be fine going caseless if these drat phones weren't so drat slippery.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I can't see a single plain, black, thin bumper case for the OnePlus 3 like I have with my Nexus 5 (Ringke Slim)

£20 is a bit steep for the official ones but I might have to go one

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The 6P is the first phone I've used a case with for more than a day or two. Even then I tend to take it out when I'm at home or work.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The only times I've used a case were with the neoprene sleeve that came with the Nexus One and the Nexus 4 bumper.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
So, a few days with the P9 now and only a few gripes, mainly it was a pain to get notifications for twitter to show up, alot of settings fuckery, and Lightflow doesn't seem to work. The only other real issue is something is making a notification sound and i can't figure out what the gently caress is causing it and it's driving me mad.
Other than that, grand, threw a spigen case on it because drat is that thing slippery, now i can hold it without fear.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I ran over my pager back in the 90s. Thats the extent of my destroying expensive electronics experience

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I ran over my pager back in the 90s. Thats the extent of my destroying expensive electronics experience

I dropped my 2014 Moto X and shattered the screen. That was the first phone I broke.

I dropped my new Nexus 5X onto a pile of gravel a week after that! Thankfully, it just got a tiny scratch on the side.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

When I had the first iPhone, I was under the impression it was super durable and so when my friend asked if I was afraid of breaking it, i said "no" and chucked it across the room. There was a small dent in the corner of the aluminum, but it survived. After that, I never threw electronics again.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Mr. Powers posted:

When I had the first iPhone, I was under the impression it was super durable and so when my friend asked if I was afraid of breaking it, i said "no" and chucked it across the room. There was a small dent in the corner of the aluminum, but it survived. After that, I never threw electronics again.

So Android phones aren't the only ones being fastballed into the wall, good to know.

I've never dropped my phone but I always use a case, as I'd rather not risk destroying my expensive electronic device that I rely heavily on. It's not like you can't get a good-looking TPU cases these days.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Luchadork posted:

So Android phones aren't the only ones being fastballed into the wall, good to know.

I've never dropped my phone but I always use a case, as I'd rather not risk destroying my expensive electronic device that I rely heavily on. It's not like you can't get a good-looking TPU cases these days.

I found the iPhones pretty durable really. Actually I'd consider all of my phone's durable, except for my Nexus 5. I didn't have any phone in a case until the free case from my iPhone 4. My One X was like a rock without a case. My N5 went through three screens, although only one of those made the phone unusable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

How old were you when this happened?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Not that anyone asked for this, but here are some photos I took with the Moto G4Plus. They were all* taken with the HDR mode on. These are straight from the camera as I have no idea how to post process images and don't care to.

*The last picture was taken using the Pro mode in Motorola's newish camera app. What no one has mentioned in the reviews is that the longest shutter speed is only 1/5 a second (boo). I set the ISO at 1600 as the next highest available option is 3200 which is just terrible.

I'm pretty happy with the daytime photos though. The sensor is a OmniVision unit, 1/2.4" size, 1.3um pixel size with PDAF and laser assist (which still seems to struggle in low light quite often).

Anyways, back to case chat; My 15 Moto X was the only phone I never bought a case for, and it was awesome. Then it fell out of a hole in one of my scrubtop pockets that I forgot was there, hit a tile floor, and shattered the screen.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 13, 2016

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
When I ordered my N5 from Google shortly after it was released I also ordered a thin TPU style caseology case from Amazon for like $9. Popped the phone in the case the minute I took it out of the box and just forgot about it.

Here we are, three years later and probably at least 50 drops/falls later and the phone is pretty much flawless. The case is pretty scarred up though, especially where it rubs against my pocket knives. I'd say it's $9 pretty well spent.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I really like Diztronic TPU cases. I think I've had 3 of them now. They make the loose mushy buttons on the G4 feel solid and clicky.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Cue the posts asking why you carry pocket knives.

(I carry a Victorinox in my back pocket, away from my phone :shobon:)

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I used to drop my Galaxy S2 (?) all the time. Broke it open, sent the battery flying across the floor, SIM card tumbling. Just clicked it back together, never missed a beat or did anything to the screen. No case. That thing felt as indestructible as a Nokia.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

El Mido posted:

Cue the posts asking why you carry pocket knives.

(I carry a Victorinox in my back pocket, away from my phone :shobon:)

Well its certainly not plural, I only carry one at a time! Front right pocket only contains two items, pocket knife clipped to the top and phone in the pocket itself. Or just the phone. Or just the knife. Depending on which one I forget on that particular day.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Internet Explorer posted:

How old were you when this happened?

Uh, 24? I had the wrong impression about the durability of the iPhone at the time and lucked out.

E: I guess maybe the clarification is that is probably the only time I threw electronics.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Mr. Powers posted:

Uh, 24? I had the wrong impression about the durability of the iPhone at the time and lucked out.

E: I guess maybe the clarification is that is probably the only time I threw electronics.

Just seems like something someone young and dumb would do. People don't usually check $500 electronic devices across the room just cause. I was just curious.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
RE casetalk:

I have a Moto G4 Play - is this the same size as a more popular phone on the market?

I'm after a simple [neoprene] pouch type sleeve, but I can't see anything listed for this model: is there a equivalently sized Samsung/iPhone that I could search for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spog posted:

RE casetalk:

I have a Moto G4 Play - is this the same size as a more popular phone on the market?

I'm after a simple [neoprene] pouch type sleeve, but I can't see anything listed for this model: is there a equivalently sized Samsung/iPhone that I could search for?

Looks like it's very similar to a Galaxy S7.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-G4-Play,Samsung-Galaxy-S7/phones/10056,9817