Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Is anybody using Hangouts for messaging? How good is it as an interface? I ain't gonna pay for Messages+ and Messages is for poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Edit: nevermind

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'll take over for you, you beautiful bastard, I'm getting a Pixel! Having a phone longer than 6 months makes me uncomfortable! I have too much disposable income! Grip tape!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is anybody using Hangouts for messaging? How good is it as an interface? I ain't gonna pay for Messages+ and Messages is for poo.

Yeah I use it with a bunch of friends, it's definitely "fine", but the app is constantly laggy and dumb. I really like that it has a web interface and use it regularly.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Fi family plan might make it reasonable for the wife and me to switch & get 2 Pixels.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
You know, I kinda wonder if the reason SahmSoahn(g) can't find anything is because there's some chip like a DAC or DDI or the SoC itself that had a rare hardware runaway condition hit which caused the chip to heat up spectacularly. If this overheating chip is over or near some critical battery part I can see it compromising the battery easily. At least my s7 is still good! (which means its not anything that they both share)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What does this mean :confused:

e: vvvvvv just call them "Samsung" dude, what the gently caress

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 12, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What does this mean :confused:

its kinda how samsung is pronounced in korea. the second vowel is like midways between 'ah' and 'oh'

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll take over for you, you beautiful bastard, I'm getting a Pixel! Having a phone longer than 6 months makes me uncomfortable! I have too much disposable income! Grip tape!

Yeah I use it with a bunch of friends, it's definitely "fine", but the app is constantly laggy and dumb. I really like that it has a web interface and use it regularly.

I had this problem, including constant crashing and clearing the cache for hangouts helped.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'll take it a step further, I'm going from an iPhone 6 to Pixel

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Works fine for me. I have no idea where "it's a slow, bloated monster" came from (someone in google wanting a promotion, obviously), as it does what I need it to do; text and send MMS.

Also uses more of the screen than generic "Messenger" or even Allo. So much wasted white space in those two...

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 12, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm freeeeeee

posted from my iPhone 7 Plus

nah I'ma have to deal with f&f androids forever I'll be here for a while

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hangouts is fine. Only quirk is starting a new conversation with someone you've never had a conversation with before, but exists in your contacts somewhere. Sometimes it's a little weird. I love that it is easily accessible from my PC, where I do a lot of chatting with friends.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The Google Pickle will have the best camera pickles according to DxOMark?
https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles

Now I'm interested

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It says that, but the lens is still f-2.0 and almost all of the photos google has released are in daylight. I'd guess in daytime they're excellent, but the S7 and the iphone will surely beat it out in low light.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My 2014 Moto X has started discharging while it's plugged in if I'm using it at all, and charging slowly if I'm not. I swear it used to charge fine if I wasn't doing anything too intensive, but I've been just browsing the web/forums, RSS feeds (gReader) and Twitter for about 45 minutes and it's at 89%. Is my battery just completely toast? It's been dying at about 20% for a couple months now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

hooah posted:

My 2014 Moto X has started discharging while it's plugged in if I'm using it at all, and charging slowly if I'm not. I swear it used to charge fine if I wasn't doing anything too intensive, but I've been just browsing the web/forums, RSS feeds (gReader) and Twitter for about 45 minutes and it's at 89%. Is my battery just completely toast? It's been dying at about 20% for a couple months now.

Maybe the wire is bad. I've had that happen. Try different cables charging sources.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Is there a a fast way to clear cache in Chrome? I often need to clear it for webdev work and hate digging through the menus.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mister Macys posted:

Works fine for me. I have no idea where "it's a slow, bloated monster" came from (someone in google wanting a promotion, obviously), as it does what I need it to do; text and send MMS.

Also uses more of the screen than generic "Messenger" or even Allo. So much wasted white space in those two...

Hangouts crashes constantly for me, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Android Wear. The app was working fine for a little while, until I sent a hangout message from my watch, and now the app crashes almost every time I try to use it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe the wire is bad. I've had that happen. Try different cables charging sources.

It seems to happen with at least two cable/charger combinations (although I haven't swapped, say, the cords from the two chargers). It does seem to fast charge alright with my work phone's (S7) charger and cable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Psycho Society posted:

It says that, but the lens is still f-2.0 and almost all of the photos google has released are in daylight. I'd guess in daytime they're excellent, but the S7 and the iphone will surely beat it out in low light.

The dxomark review went over low light performance but there's a lot of people in their comments section claiming it's a conspiracy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hangouts crashes constantly for me, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Android Wear. The app was working fine for a little while, until I sent a hangout message from my watch, and now the app crashes almost every time I try to use it.

I use it with Wear constantly and I've never had a crash on Hangouts.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
edit: nevermind

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 19, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those not aware, the Nexus 6P is back down to $399 if you order through Project Fi. Just ordered one, figured its time to retire the N4. :getin:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Depending in how the Pixel actually is when it's in people's hands it'll probably be the absolute best if money is no problem to you, but it seems like the 6P is sitting in a pretty good spot at less than $400 and is probably the best Android phone for most people.

(all of that modulus your special snowflake preferences)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You know, I kinda wonder if the reason SahmSoahn(g) can't find anything is because there's some chip like a DAC or DDI or the SoC itself that had a rare hardware runaway condition hit which caused the chip to heat up spectacularly. If this overheating chip is over or near some critical battery part I can see it compromising the battery easily. At least my s7 is still good! (which means its not anything that they both share)
Not likely. Lithium batteries won't go into thermal runaway and explode below 300 C, and at most will expand and release gas around 200 C. If this was a condition in even a small number of phones, you'd have heard about it well before batteries exploded, given people complained about The new iPad getting too hot when it was hitting 35 C.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

sirbeefalot posted:

Axon 7 owners/general Android camera question maybe?

Is the "okay" camera/photos on the Axon 7 a symptom of the default camera app, and maybe improved by using a different app? Or is it simply a function of the hardware or underlying firmware?

I'm already seeing some degradation in performance in my 6P after a factory reset this past weekend, and I'm held up on the Axon by that one bullet point.

The Axon 7 takes amazing daylight photos but mediocre night / low light photos. It has some aggressive noise reduction when you zoom as far as possible that seems to persist across camera apps, but I haven't dug into advanced settings too much because it isn't noticeable with normal use.

That aside, it's really drat good.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I always want to point out when people make the point that a camera takes great daylight photos but poor low-light photos that almost always means the camera is not going to be good for you most of the time.

"low-light" usually doesn't mean what you probably think of when you hear the term. We're not talking about candlelight, we're talking about in your house with all the lights on.

Speaking of cameras...

Does anyone else find scanning barcodes with the 6P to be super frustrating? It's so hard to get it to focus on the barcode.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah sorry you are right, I should clarify! If the camera thinks it should engage "night mode", it takes mediocre pictures. Dusk, indoor, etc are generally fine. The 6p takes much better low light shots fwiw

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah sorry you are right, I should clarify! If the camera thinks it should engage "night mode", it takes mediocre pictures. Dusk, indoor, etc are generally fine. The 6p takes much better low light shots fwiw

I wasn't picking on you really. Just pointing out something I didn't realize long ago when I first started paying attention to the camera on smartphones.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone else find scanning barcodes with the 6P to be super frustrating? It's so hard to get it to focus on the barcode.

Are you holding the barcode close to the phone? I don't have a 6P but a lot of phones struggle auto focusing on stuff that's too close, and will have no issue reading a barcode from 2 feet away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I know a lot of people were asking how the Pixel can take better pictures if it has basically the same camera module as last year models and it absolutely comes down to the Snapdragon 821 and the phase detection autofocus.

The 821 has native capabilities to process burst and HDR which make both faster. Then you have PDAF in conjunction with laser autofocus. Laser is faster for initial acquisition of focus while PDAF has strength in tracking autofocus.

Now you can see how these bits come together and why HDR+ is turned on by default. The camera will burst shoot with different exposures. Laser AF gets a fast lock so you get minimal shutter lag and PDAF will track your subject during the quick burst so that all the exposures are in focus. It's then handed off to the 821 to stitch together a well exposed picture with good dynamic range.

If you shot raw with both last year's models and the Pixel, your output will likely be the same (with an edge to the Pixel in tracking shots due to PDAF.). It's the automatic post processing that gives the Pixel the edge.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Mister Macys posted:

Do you want a bigger screen every time you upgrade? :haw:

Honestly, what happened is that Google came to the conclusion that most people have a limit to hand and cargo jort pocket size, and while women can just put it in a purse, most men do not have one.

Yeah that is a good point. I am a lady so I just throw it in my purse and kinda forgot men don't carry those.

The phones don't have to continue getting bigger, but they shouldn't be getting smaller imo. I would be happy with the 6 inch screen on future phones.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Someone on Reddit got a Pixel and was doing a AMA, and maybe the camera is as good as claimed? http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/12/redditor-pixel-xl-ama-confirms-reboot-button-excellent-eis-video/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Yeah that is a good point. I am a lady so I just throw it in my purse and kinda forgot men don't carry those.

The phones don't have to continue getting bigger, but they shouldn't be getting smaller imo. I would be happy with the 6 inch screen on future phones.

Find an average man in normal-fitting pants and cram your phone in his pants pocket. Bonus points if you ask permission first. If he has a shirt pocket, try that too. This is what men with jobs that don't require suits have to deal with on a daily basis.

Seriously, the Nexus 6 is huge. It's well beyond the optimal size for general targeted-at-everybody phones. Not saying you can't like huge phones, just explaining what I suspect is the reason google is walking size back a bit.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I wasn't picking on you really. Just pointing out something I didn't realize long ago when I first started paying attention to the camera on smartphones.

Yeah I care less about taking photos of skyscrapers outside and more about taking pictures of my snot nose kid inside my house and not having to light the shot like I'm shooting a movie which was possible with my Note 7 and not my N6

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Find an average man in normal-fitting pants and cram your phone in his pants pocket. Bonus points if you ask permission first. If he has a shirt pocket, try that too. This is what men with jobs that don't require suits have to deal with on a daily basis.

Seriously, the Nexus 6 is huge. It's well beyond the optimal size for general targeted-at-everybody phones. Not saying you can't like huge phones, just explaining what I suspect is the reason google is walking size back a bit.

I carried a note 3 with a defender in my pocket for ages, no real problem. The holster was nice while it lasted too.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I know a lot of people were asking how the Pixel can take better pictures if it has basically the same camera module as last year models and it absolutely comes down to the Snapdragon 821 and the phase detection autofocus.

The 821 has native capabilities to process burst and HDR which make both faster. Then you have PDAF in conjunction with laser autofocus. Laser is faster for initial acquisition of focus while PDAF has strength in tracking autofocus.

Now you can see how these bits come together and why HDR+ is turned on by default. The camera will burst shoot with different exposures. Laser AF gets a fast lock so you get minimal shutter lag and PDAF will track your subject during the quick burst so that all the exposures are in focus. It's then handed off to the 821 to stitch together a well exposed picture with good dynamic range.

If you shot raw with both last year's models and the Pixel, your output will likely be the same (with an edge to the Pixel in tracking shots due to PDAF.). It's the automatic post processing that gives the Pixel the edge.

Is that something Qualcomm added in for the 821? The 821 and 820 are almost exactly the same (hell they are the same size and have an identical footprint), it's just slightly faster and has like 1% more transistors. Its pretty much a 820 v2 as the name implies.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Is that something Qualcomm added in for the 821? The 821 and 820 are almost exactly the same (hell they are the same size and have an identical footprint), it's just slightly faster and has like 1% more transistors. Its pretty much a 820 v2 as the name implies.

The bigger aspect is the change in strategy with the Pixel versus the Nexus line.

Nexus was focused on "pure" Android, which meant only taking advantage of hardware features if they were part of the standard Android software stack. Generally these things had to be available for everyone.

Pixel is all about making a "Google" phone based on Android, just like the other manufacturers have been doing. So they are free to customize the operating system and features to use device specific hardware.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

But it goes to 11 821...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup.

Also, last year's devices were using 808 and 810, so the comments were made in reference to that.

810 already had advantages over the 808 in this regard, 6P pictures often times turn out better than the 5x despite having the same camera hardware.