Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

vessbot posted:

Goddamn, someone please reassure me that real CRJ's fly easier than the sim :ohdear:

Yes. Use the autopilot as much as allowed, fly the numbers and cooperate to graduate.

The real airplane will handle like a dream in comparison. Especially the 200, which is very responsive. The 7/9 is a bit like flying a big rig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

vessbot posted:

Goddamn, someone please reassure me that real CRJ's fly easier than the sim :ohdear:

They do. I don't know if you've ever used a full sized aircraft sim before but they're notoriously much harder to hand fly than the airplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

Yes. Use the autopilot as much as allowed, fly the numbers and cooperate to graduate.

The real airplane will handle like a dream in comparison. Especially the 200, which is very responsive. The 7/9 is a bit like flying a big rig.

I thought the 200 climbed like a lead balloon.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 12, 2016

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the 200 climbed like a led balloon.

Depends on what altitudes and what time of year. Normal thrust with a light load it's a rocket

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Two Kings posted:

I've been taking the opposite tack re: the autopilot, on training and not validation or checking events. On my LOE (in a week, by the way) you bet I'm leaving that thing on for every second that I can.

You upgraded in JFK on the 200 recently, right? We might be sharing a cockpit soon!

KodiakRS posted:

They do. I don't know if you've ever used a full sized aircraft sim before but they're notoriously much harder to hand fly than the airplane.

I was in the King Air 200 at CAE previously and yeah, but this is on a whole different level. Heavy stick force but light control response with a healthy dose of lag, makes for a lovely combo.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 13, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Once you get out on the line, flying the airplane as much as possible with the autopilot OFF will build comfortable familiarity in the airplane. Take the opportunity to hand fly it as much as possible. I hand fly the E175 all the time. I am currently the only SEA FO that disconnects the autothrottle as well for a majority of landings, causing a large fuss from some of the weaker captains. Which is hysterical. Because you push the big levers forward to go faster, and you pull them back to go slower. It ain't rocket science.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Found out today that I'm officially in a November upgrade class for my current base, so I won't have to commute.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats! I'm aiming for Feb or March personally. Kinda depends on whether I'll be sitting reserve or not, it's tempting to delay it til I can hold a line in Seattle.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm in a stupidly senior base for captains (one guy has been here longer than the company has technically existed), so delaying until I can hold a line could easily end up being a year. That said, medical issues and the imminent arrival of Shiny Jets will probably cause more movement in the next few months than this base has seen in a decade, so I might end up with a line sooner than I'd thought.

We have a really nice loophole in our contract that lets FO's bid the same line as a check airman, get paid not to work those trips, and then pick up trips in open time to make basically 200% pay (or just have several weeks off), so going from abusing that to the hell that is our reserve system will take some of the fun out of the upgrade.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 13, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So, uh. poo poo.

quote:

U.S. investigators believe a Jordanian student pilot was trying to kill himself when he crashed a small plane in Connecticut this week but do not believe he was affiliated with militant groups, two federal officials familiar with the probe said on Thursday.

Feras Freitekh, 28, was with a flight instructor in a twin-engine Piper PA-34 Seneca when the plane slammed into a utility pole on Tuesday and burst into flames in East Hartford. Freitekh died in the crash and the instructor was badly injured.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-connecticut-crash-idUSKCN12D2J0

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re going to commit suicide, please don’t try to take your instructor with you.

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008
I got my PPL a few months ago and have been trying to figure out what I want to do with it over the next few years. For me aviation is just a hobby and i'm quickly realizing that I can throw infinite time and money at it...

I'm part of a flight club right now and have just been renting Piper warriors and C172s for short sight seeing trips to take friends up and fly around. Right now I'm working on high performance and complex endorsements just to be able to fly everything the club has.
After that i'm thinking ill starting on instrument rating before I have to take a BFR in the next year and a half or so. I'm really just interested in it in order to be a safer pilot. Also i've heard it really lowers your insurance rates.

I think long term I would like to buy a partial share of an airplane but I have no idea how that works or if its a good idea. Does anyone here have any experience doing this? I figure if buying an airplane is stupid expensive, buying only 1/3 1/4 or 1/5 would be less stupid? (I really dont need something 24/7 365...)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Thaumaturgic posted:

I got my PPL a few months ago and have been trying to figure out what I want to do with it over the next few years. For me aviation is just a hobby and i'm quickly realizing that I can throw infinite time and money at it...

I'm part of a flight club right now and have just been renting Piper warriors and C172s for short sight seeing trips to take friends up and fly around. Right now I'm working on high performance and complex endorsements just to be able to fly everything the club has.
After that i'm thinking ill starting on instrument rating before I have to take a BFR in the next year and a half or so. I'm really just interested in it in order to be a safer pilot. Also i've heard it really lowers your insurance rates.

I think long term I would like to buy a partial share of an airplane but I have no idea how that works or if its a good idea. Does anyone here have any experience doing this? I figure if buying an airplane is stupid expensive, buying only 1/3 1/4 or 1/5 would be less stupid? (I really dont need something 24/7 365...)

We have a few owners and partial owners here that can give you advice on that.

As far as training goes, definitely get your IFR, and don't stop there. The CPL is super fun and easy and will further lower insurance. After that, CFI is a big investment in brain and willpower but IMO worth pursuing even if you don't plan to do this for a living.

Remember, a pilots license is a license to learn, never stop doing that.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
For those of you at the airlines, how bad would be living in Rocklin (Sacramento) but based out of SFO or OAK be?

What about using SMF commuting to LAX?

Are those all horrible bases to consider? UAL has flights every two hours from SMF -> SFO, but then I wouldn't have a vehicle.

Getting out of the AF in a bit less than a year and trying to decide where to live.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 15, 2016

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It'll suck, as all commutes do, but it's doable. SMF has plenty of flights. If you have to start out at the regional level, Compass does SMF-LAX and SMF-SEA which are both bases and usually the jumpseat is open. Probably a lot more commuters SMF-SFO but idk as that's too short for us. SFO is such a shithole airport full of delays and metering, and Sacramento flights would be the first hit (though you could drive potentially). The commute from "cheap area" to "expensive area" is typically one full of commuters, just as a general rule, for example phx-lax.
I think only Southwest and Allegiant are based out of OAK but I could be wrong.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 15, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

How does commuting work anyways? Can any pilot hop on any airline? Does UAL have priority on UAL flights? How does one go about finding crash pads?

I am going to aim for UAL, AA/Delta and SWA and in that order. Who knows if it'll happen, exploring the local Reserve/Air National Guard in the area as well. Regionals, now that they seem to be paying livable wages, aren't out of the question. Gotta put food on the table, yannow.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Compass would be a good stepping stone for you to get some 121 experience and move on, and it wouldn't be a terrible commute at all on your own metal. Plus, I'd get a nice referral bonus. :P
But yes, any pilot can hop on any airline, however there's priority where a UA flight attendant or gate agent would trump you on a UA flight for a seat in the back. Obviously, only you can sit in the jump, so then it comes down to priority for the jumpseat. If you work for UA mainline and it's a mainline flight, you get first dibs on the jump, if you work a UA regional and it's a mainline flight, you bump non-UA regional people (otherwise first come first serve), and finally just "other pilots" first come first serve. Sometimes on your own carrier you can reserve the jumpseat in advance, if there's a compass flight to get me where i'm going, I ride that because not only can I reserve it in advance, I can also sit in the 2 extra flight attendant jumpseats that nobody but compass FA's and compass pilots can use. It's great because if another pilot shows up for the jump, I can yield it to them and then go take one of the FA seats. In practice, this is pretty rare. 95% of my flights the jumpseaters get a seat in the back. The 5% where I constantly have cockpit jumpseaters is pretty consistently SFO-SEA and vice versa - tons, TONS of united people. I'm sure there are other routes like that.
Crash pads, there are websites, you can ask around in new hire training, there are usually crashpads posted in the crew rooms, etc.

Also, no FedEx?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

Compass would be a good stepping stone for you to get some 121 experience and move on, and it wouldn't be a terrible commute at all on your own metal. Plus, I'd get a nice referral bonus. :P
But yes, any pilot can hop on any airline, however there's priority where a UA flight attendant or gate agent would trump you on a UA flight for a seat in the back. Obviously, only you can sit in the jump, so then it comes down to priority for the jumpseat. If you work for UA mainline and it's a mainline flight, you get first dibs on the jump, if you work a UA regional and it's a mainline flight, you bump non-UA regional people (otherwise first come first serve), and finally just "other pilots" first come first serve. Sometimes on your own carrier you can reserve the jumpseat in advance, if there's a compass flight to get me where i'm going, I ride that because not only can I reserve it in advance, I can also sit in the 2 extra flight attendant jumpseats that nobody but compass FA's and compass pilots can use. It's great because if another pilot shows up for the jump, I can yield it to them and then go take one of the FA seats. In practice, this is pretty rare. 95% of my flights the jumpseaters get a seat in the back. The 5% where I constantly have cockpit jumpseaters is pretty consistently SFO-SEA and vice versa - tons, TONS of united people. I'm sure there are other routes like that.
Crash pads, there are websites, you can ask around in new hire training, there are usually crashpads posted in the crew rooms, etc.

Also, no FedEx?

I see. Do people ever have problems getting to their place if there's 4-5 people trying to commute on a plane? How many commuters are there typically? What happens to the pilot if he gets bumped from the flight he was trying to commute on?

I have no idea what the future holds, but if it leads me to Compass, I have no problem giving your name for a referral bonus.

Also, I have heard amazing things about FedEx. Their work rules and pay are well above industry average, and morale is high. However, I really don't want a significant portion of my life to be on a night schedule. BTDT, didn't enjoy it. A close friend, with similar hours as myself, is going through training there. $4k/month for training on the MD-11, but her orientation flight? Quick turn from Memphis to Charleston, 2am to 9am. Gross.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

xaarman posted:

I see. Do people ever have problems getting to their place if there's 4-5 people trying to commute on a plane? How many commuters are there typically? What happens to the pilot if he gets bumped from the flight he was trying to commute on?

I have no idea what the future holds, but if it leads me to Compass, I have no problem giving your name for a referral bonus.

Also, I have heard amazing things about FedEx. Their work rules and pay are well above industry average, and morale is high. However, I really don't want a significant portion of my life to be on a night schedule. BTDT, didn't enjoy it. A close friend, with similar hours as myself, is going through training there. $4k/month for training on the MD-11, but her orientation flight? Quick turn from Memphis to Charleston, 2am to 9am. Gross.

The number of commuters depends on the route and schedule, and it gets significantly more interesting during the busier months of the summer and holiday seasons.

As for getting bumped, most airlines have some kind of commuter policy in their contracts. Where I work, as long as we're listed on two flights (operated by our company mainline or wholly-owned regional, with seats available) that arrive prior to the report time for a trip, no disciplinary action is taken against pilots if those flights end up delayed, cancelled, or oversold, but they still lose pay for whatever legs they miss flying.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah compass just requires 2 flights before your show time with /any/ airline and you're covered, but realistically it's not an issue most times. Usually if there's 4-5 people trying to commute it's not 4-5 /pilots/ trying to commute. The few times I've lost out on the jumpseat, once I ended up getting a seat in the back at the very last minute (literally "somebody no showed for first class, RUN, GO GO GO") as they were closing the top door. And that was MSP-SEA which is a very tough route cause it's hub to hub. Avoid hub to hub at all costs. The other time I got on the next one. I hear RNO-LAX is a bit tough but my friend hasn't been having any problems really.
At Compass if you're going to not make your commute you just call crew scheduling and if they really need you they'll positive space you, otherwise they'll drop the first turn or whatever and tell you to just get there when you can get there. I imagine it's similar at most airlines, maybe not at like Mesa or Gojet, but yeah, any decent place.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

The Slaughter posted:

Avoid hub to hub at all costs.

Rut-roh! I'll be commuting MSP-JFK on Delta network.

So, uh, anyone else's Facebook heating up with plane on a treadmill lately?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2016

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Yes. It's stupid.

I will definitely be avoiding hub to hub. Really, it's between California (#1 choice but $$$$$$$$), Florida, Austin or Chicago. I've never been to Chicago but it seems to meet all my requirements on paper, will probably visit in the next 6 months or so.

Slaughter: you in SF?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Chicago is a cool city. Austin is also neat but no real airline presence and man, living in base is a huge QOL enhancement, but that said it's a reasonably short commute to IAH or DFW I'd imagine.
And no, not SF, I live in SEA, based in SEA. It is neat. I still don't look forward to being scheduling's filthy whore when I go back on reserve after upgrade in a few months, tho. May bid down to LA if i can hold a line and use the commuter hotels there for a few months.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

vessbot posted:

Rut-roh! I'll be commuting MSP-JFK on Delta network.

So, uh, anyone else's Facebook heating up with plane on a treadmill lately?

MSP-LGA is usually wide open, especially compared to JFK which is almost always over sold. You can take the NYC Airporter shuttle to the other airport for $10-15 though.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 16, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Question for Canadian pilots: where do I put the medical sticker I just got from TC? It has instructions on how to place it in the ADB for both the left side and right side "within the alignment marks", but the pages in my ADB only have one set of alignment marks on the medical pages, always on the left side, with a bunch of space for stamps and signatures on the bottom of the left page, and then the entire right page.

I'm guessing the correct place to put it is in the next available set of alignment marks, but I don't want to gently caress up by doing it wrong.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can someone recommend insurance/levels I should carry while I'm getting my PPL? I'm still pre-solo, if that helps.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
It depends on the coverage your flight school has and what the rental agreement you've signed says about insurance, but renters insurance is often a good idea.

A lot of smaller operations have a fairly high ($5-10k) deductibles on their aircraft, and it's pretty common for renters to be held liable for 100% of any damage up to the deductible. On top of that, the insurance company can use a process called subrogation to go after the renter for whatever costs they incurred paying the claim if they think you're responsible.

Keep in mind that coverage for liability/property damage and damage to the airplane are generally two separate policies, but every aviation insurer I looked at sold both types of insurance.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

dexter6 posted:

Can someone recommend insurance/levels I should carry while I'm getting my PPL? I'm still pre-solo, if that helps.

Can you look into a Flying club? Usually insurance is wrapped up into those costs.

I went to a local FBO to knock out my ATP, and was the most money grubbing, POS operation I could imagine (want to use our checklist? $5. Headset? $10. Separate ground instruction? $35/hr.) Half of the old rear end avionics were labeled INOP. Anyways, they wanted me to purchase my own insurance for the whopping 5 hours I was going to use their plane and it came out to like $500-600/yr. But hey, I could cancel after I was done and they would refund me 50%!

Then I went to the local Community College, everything was included in the rental, had beautiful fully functioning G1000 avionics, and I did it in 1.5 flights and a check.

YMMV, but it certainly turned me off to the smaller mom and pop shops.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 16, 2016

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

Question for Canadian pilots: where do I put the medical sticker I just got from TC? It has instructions on how to place it in the ADB for both the left side and right side "within the alignment marks", but the pages in my ADB only have one set of alignment marks on the medical pages, always on the left side, with a bunch of space for stamps and signatures on the bottom of the left page, and then the entire right page.

I'm guessing the correct place to put it is in the next available set of alignment marks, but I don't want to gently caress up by doing it wrong.

Yep, you've got it. Place it on a new page in the alignment marks (basically in the top left corner when you look at the open book). The stamps/signature spots on the remainder of the page and on the next page are reserved for your doctor to renew THAT medical which shares the page.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

xaarman posted:

Can you look into a Flying club? Usually insurance is wrapped up into those costs.

I went to a local FBO to knock out my ATP, and was the most money grubbing, POS operation I could imagine (want to use our checklist? $5. Headset? $10. Separate ground instruction? $35/hr.) Half of the old rear end avionics were labeled INOP. Anyways, they wanted me to purchase my own insurance for the whopping 5 hours I was going to use their plane and it came out to like $500-600/yr. But hey, I could cancel after I was done and they would refund me 50%!

Then I went to the local Community College, everything was included in the rental, had beautiful fully functioning G1000 avionics, and I did it in 1.5 flights and a check.

YMMV, but it certainly turned me off to the smaller mom and pop shops.

In my experience it's pretty normal to be charged ~$10 to use their headset and the ground instruction charge seems normal too. gently caress charging people to use the checklist though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

two_beer_bishes posted:

In my experience it's pretty normal to be charged ~$10 to use their headset and the ground instruction charge seems normal too. gently caress charging people to use the checklist though.

Agreed. I'm surprised charging people to use the checklist is even legal, considering that appropriate checklists must be carried on-board and I would prefer not to have people making their own, if I were renting out my airplane.

Desi posted:

Yep, you've got it. Place it on a new page in the alignment marks (basically in the top left corner when you look at the open book). The stamps/signature spots on the remainder of the page and on the next page are reserved for your doctor to renew THAT medical which shares the page.

Thanks! I just realized that the instructions for placing stickers on right-hand pages are there because the sticker sheet isn't specifically for medicals, and other sticker types can be placed on both pages.

I'm not sure why I got a new sticker -- just because it's been so long since my last medical? I still had plenty of room for stamps, what with my not-flying for the better part of a decade :v:
EDIT: And my ADB expires before my next medical anyway...

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

I'm not sure why I got a new sticker -- just because it's been so long since my last medical? I still had plenty of room for stamps, what with my not-flying for the better part of a decade :v:
EDIT: And my ADB expires before my next medical anyway...

You upgrade to a Cat 1 from something else, now that you're working on your CPL?

My ADB is also coming up in February. I want my new one to have an ATPL and Class 1 Instructor Rating printed on the first spot. Implication being I've been doing this longer than I have :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

You upgrade to a Cat 1 from something else, now that you're working on your CPL?

My ADB is also coming up in February. I want my new one to have an ATPL and Class 1 Instructor Rating printed on the first spot. Implication being I've been doing this longer than I have :)

No, I got a cat 1 originally since I was planning on going commercial right after getting my degree, but looking at it now, I notice the new one has "must wear glasses" on it and the old one didn't, even though I still had to wear glasses. Guess it didn't get recorded somewhere the first time around.

EDIT: Weather was hardcore poo poo today, so I wrote (and passed!) my PSTAR. Now I just have to demonstrate upper air work and emergency procedures and I think I'll be signed current again!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 18, 2016

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008
I remember seeing this crash last year and thinking something must have failed for them to come up 1.5 miles short of the runway:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/NTSB-Cites-Pilot-Error-Safety-Culture-In-Hawker-Crash-227136-1.html

Apparently they
-Were 11 knots too slow
-Had the wrong flap settings
-Didn't complete the landing checklist
-Stalled the plane when they fell below the glide path

I'm only a 100 hour PPL scrub but I can't fathom how TWO professional pilots didn't notice any of these things until it was too late. This is the kind of stuff I would have failed my PPL check ride over but apparently these guys were still flying... Yikes...

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Why is it that every brand new pilot in the middle of their training can't POSSIBLY FATHOM how someone in an airplane screws stuff up?

No offense to the most recent poster, but it just seems like you're begging the Internet to agree with you.

Should they have crashed? No.
Should they be at the wrong flap settings(or the other billion things they did wrong). No
Is it COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS for them to do wrong things???? I leave that up to you.

I'm sure I've made these types of comments too, but it just screams out for a lack of understanding.

Edit: why can't we say things like "wow, a lot of things are in the wrong position here. I wonder what circumstances led to this particular event?

Or

Man these pilots sure seem like they were grade F, maybe the company that hired them were desperate and didn't care about millions of dollars and lives at stake."

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2016

Thaumaturgic
Jan 7, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

Why is it that every brand new pilot in the middle of their training can't POSSIBLY FATHOM how someone in an airplane screws stuff up?

No offense to the most recent poster, but it just seems like you're begging the Internet to agree with you.

Should they have crashed? No.
Should they be at the wrong flap settings(or the other billion things they did wrong). No
Is it COMPLETELY OUTRAGEOUS for them to do wrong things???? I leave that up to you.

I'm sure I've made these types of comments too, but it just screams out for a lack of understanding.

Edit: why can't we say things like "wow, a lot of things are in the wrong position here. I wonder what circumstances led to this particular event?

Or

Man these pilots sure seem like they were grade F, maybe the company that hired them were desperate and didn't care about millions of dollars and lives at stake."

You're right, the better way to look at it is "what circumstances led to this". It's just for me I know I don't know poo poo about flying. My whole world is basically "follow the checklists, watch your speed, go around if anything looks wrong" so it's strange for me to see professionals fail to do this under any circumstances

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
... I've definitely never completed a checklist by memory or made the callouts without even checking the thing I just said... definitely not.

poo poo happens, people gently caress up. I'm not saying it's good but if you do it day in and day out you start to memorize the checklist and you have to consciously force yourself to read it and actually verify that you're checking said item. Usually it's a flow backed up with a checklist. That said, I'm not surprised to see this was a florida operation... That's always my first clue.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The second anything becomes routine it starts becoming a lot easier to miss minor details. Unfortunately in an airplane sometimes that minor detail is the only thing keeping you from dying when the next thing down the line goes wrong.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Thaumaturgic posted:

I'm only a 100 hour PPL scrub but I can't fathom how TWO professional pilots didn't notice any of these things until it was too late.

In the USAF, the two most dangerous crewmembers are two instructors flying together. Why? Because they have enough experience to be complacent and both assume the other one will speak up/save the day if something is starting to go wrong.

You know who is the safest? The brand new PIC who is going over everything 100x to make sure all actions are complete, safe, unadventurous and by the book.

Hope this is a bit of perspective for you.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Captain Apollo posted:

Because they haven't made or noticed any mistakes or been in any situations where they got lucky yet.

xaarman posted:

In the USAF, the two most dangerous crewmembers are two instructors flying together. Why? Because they have enough experience to be complacent and both assume the other one will speak up/save the day if something is starting to go wrong.

You know who is the safest? The brand new PIC who is going over everything 100x to make sure all actions are complete, safe, unadventurous and by the book.

Hope this is a bit of perspective for you.
In normal situations maybe, but when an abnormality pops up, experience is often what will save you.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 19, 2016

• Locked thread