Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"I built up an elaborate fantasy persona for you long before actually meeting you IRL. Somehow, this is your fault."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
You passively resisted from the moment I threatened you with a knife. It really ruined the mood for me :( -a serial killer

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
Wow. I've had a knife pulled on me before by someone who professed to be a friend, and I cannot help but wonder what the gently caress goes through someone's head that they think "I know what will help this situation-- a weapon! Surely this will not frighten people into freezing and/or escalate this into aggression!"

You did good getting away, Wiggy. I wish I'd done what you did. :sigh:

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
It took longer than these short write-ups give me credit for. Eventually I did cut off all contact, but that's all tied to the Greg write-up. I'll try to get that done soon!

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
I've been thinking about whether to post this all day because it has nothing to do with anime but it does involve a crazy person soooo... :justpost: I guess.

I used to have a roomie who was... sort of a friend? Looking back he wasn't that great of a friend, he wouldn't take no for an answer for six months straight when I told him I didn't want to date him-- I had my reasons. His personal hygiene was lacking, to say the least, he was missing teeth, he had to weigh about 350 or so, and he was hairy. All over. It was like a pelt, and I saw farrrr too much of it, because he used to fall asleep naked on the living room floor. Once or twice he was on his back and i swear i could not see a penis through all that hair. Just for reference, I'm female, and I'm not into fur. I'm gonna call him Bear.

Why did I move in with him? Because I was getting away from my abusive mother. Almost none of my relationships have been good or healthy.

Anyway Bear and I had settled the issue of whether I was going to gently caress him, and it was in the strongly negative sense. I was involved with a girl from across the continent with me--I'll call her Bright Eyes-- and she was and has been probably the only good relationship in my life. We talked all the time online, like I'd get home from work, and immediately call her or get on Google chat with her.

Bear decided he was also going to get an internet girlfriend-- Spotty. I honestly feel like he was imitating me, it was so loving weird. Spotty was from America, one of the flyover states, and she was living in a bad situation. Picture a redhead with a moon face, the kind that says you have incest in your family tree and may have missed downs by a hair. Freckles everywhere. Body like an outhouse, jist straight up and down. Bear spent all his time on the phone with her. I swear to God he was copying me or something because whatever happened in my relationship with Bright Eyes seemed to happen in his relationship with Spotty. If I had a fight, he had a fight. If I made plans to visit, he made plans to visit.

It was that last that hosed me over. Bright Eyes and I met up in New York for some us time, and while I was there, Bear went down to visit Spotty.

It wasn't long before I got a frantic phone call from him saying that she was in trouble, she needed out, and he was bringing her up to Canada to live with us. I did not get a choice in this; he told me while he was on the way to the border with her, with a uhaul full of her stuff.

Spotty was a terrible roommate. I don't know what I did to earn her fear, but she was literally afraid of me. Or at least she said she was. She would do passive aggressive bullshit like leaving the sink full of dishes so I couldn't cook, never cleaning anything I asked (and I was polite, always, knowing she had said I was intimidating and trying not to worry her). She would leave stains on the floor from I don't know what, and it would be me who cleaned them.

Long story short, she was a terrible slob, and so was he, and while I'm not the best cleaner in the world, I am not hoarder level bullshit and my apartment was approaching that.

After a while, Bright Eyes came up to stay for the summer. She was in school and needed to be away from her family temporarily-- she loves them, but she gets frustrated with them and she wanted to be with me. Spotty did not like this at all. Bright Eyes is a neat freak and she cleaned up all the hoarder level poo poo that Bear and Spotty had filled my apartment with.

Fast forward to the good poo poo. Spotty was fed up with Bright Eyes cleaning up after her-- literally because she was cleaning, not because she was mean or said anything to her. Hell, most of the time Bright Eyes didn't even speak to her, just cleaned and then went back to our room.

Spotty was also fed up with me. I was drinking most of the time by then because of my poo poo job and I was kind of a wreck but Spotty was still afraid of me and that translated into me being in the apartment was a signal for her to get shouty and aggressive with me.

Where was Bear? Ha, I don't know. He stayed the gently caress away from all this.

It came to a head one night. I don't even remember the trigger, but something set Spotty off and she started screaming. Like full on loving mental breakdown screaming because Bright Eyes had cleaned something and she didn't like it. Looking back I know she was off her meds at that point but... I got emails at work saying she was freaking out and Bright Eyes was scared and when I got home the apartment was in ominous silence.

I grabbed my customary bottle of wine and went into my room. Bright Eyes was there, frightened, and no one else was in the apartment. For a few hours we were okay.

Then Spotty and Bear came back, and Spotty went over the edge at the sight of me. Screaming, throwing things, a 28 year old having a 2 year old tantrum.

I shouldn't have let go, because when I did, I got aggressive. I wasn't drunk (yet, kind of a miracle that night) but I think things might have turned out better if I had been, because I'd have been more relaxed.

I screamed at Bear to control his bitch. I told Spotty if she came near me I was going to call the cops. I didn't threaten her physically-- I knew better. But she flipped. She freaked out, ran to the kitchen and grabbed my prize German steel butcher knife and ran down the hall at me, trying to stab me.

So I laughed at her.

It was stupid. I should have tried to calm her down. But I laughed and I told her I didn't think she had the balls to go through with it. And she didn't. She let Bear catch her and hold her back and I stood there taunting her and telling her what a piece of poo poo she was while Bright Eyes hid in the bedroom and Bear restrained Spotty's halfhearted attempts to stab me.

I kicked them out that night. Bear managed to get the knife away from Spotty and took her into their bedroom to calm her down, and then when he came out I told him to get the gently caress out and where he took her wasn't my problem.

They left in a week, and for that week I kept all the knives in my room, and replaced the doorknob with a locking one.

Bear eventually married Spotty. I eventually married Bright Eyes. We haven't spoken in a long, long time. I think I'll always remember how loving crazy that night was... and I always feel like a bit of a badass because for fucks sake someone tried to stab me and I stood there and laughed.

I know it sounds stdh... but every word is true, dependent on my memory of a decade ago. Hell, both Bright Eyes and Bear are goons, and Bright Eyes at least can confirm every word. If you internet detective me (please don't) you will find posts on another forum detailing all of this.

I have had some weird poo poo happen in my life, but that was one of the weirdest. I blame it on never knowing what healthy people looked like until I was in my 30s.

Lysistrata fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 12, 2016

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I decided to go for it with the GoFundMe to try to get the funds to hire a lawyer. I don't know if I'll hit the goal I need, but I overcompensated anyway to account for fees.

I also reposted my story, a more succinct version of what I posted here in this thread (and with more screenshots!) to help promote it.

If you guys feel up to it, any help to even just spread my story would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to sound like I'm soliciting here - because I'm not, but retweets/reblogs would be appreciated. :)

http://brainmurk.tumblr.com/post/151603563235/myinternetstalkingnightmare#_=_

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 12, 2016

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

That drat Satyr posted:

I decided to go for it with the GoFundMe to try to get the funds to hire a lawyer. I don't know if I'll hit the goal I need, but I overcompensated anyway to account for fees.

I also reposted my story, a more succinct version of what I posted here in this thread (and with more screenshots!) to help promote it.

If you guys feel up to it, any help to even just spread my story would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to sound like I'm soliciting here - because I'm not, but retweets/reblogs would be appreciated. :)

http://brainmurk.tumblr.com/post/151603563235/myinternetstalkingnightmare#_=_

Good luck! I'd be very curious about her parent's thoughts about all this, now that they've also been served.

Lysistrata posted:

And I neeeed you nooooow to kniiiiife, and I neeed you moooore than everrrrr

I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I have to admit I laughed at you laughing at her. Roommates are terrifying and roommate partners are even more terrifying.

My final write up for now:

Dude #3: Greg

I knew Greg for ten years. I have saved him for last because he is the upper echelon of how deep this rabbit hole went. I mentioned that I maintained that I didn’t want online relationships because of the stress; I also mentioned I was younger, stupider and needier. This is where Greg comes in.

Greg was a rebellious basement-dweller. He smoked pot, drank, didn’t seem to care about school. He went regularly to an internet café where he fought dudes because of “male honor.” I had a massive crush on him, but he was never interested in me. He was interested in tons of other online women, particularly if they liked to role play their characters as childish cat women.

Yes, he was a furry, too. But only mildly. He once told me that at most, he’d ask a girl to wear cat ears.

We exchanged phone numbers and he would call me once every few days to chat – on his parent’s dime, because they wouldn’t care and had the money for it. We talked for hours and got to know each other pretty well. My crush got stronger. And after about 6 years of being friends, Greg suddenly decided he wanted to try a relationship with me.

Despite being thrilled about this due to my long-standing silent crush, I told him about my online relationship reservations, and he assured me that he’d plan to come visit me within the year. We could see each other, figure out if we really were compatible, and move from there. So it began. Greg and I were in this sort’ve-relationship online for about two years, and when it became clear that it wasn’t going to go anywhere, he broke it off. It’s important to remember that he broke it off, not me.

I was devastated over the break-up, but I didn’t want to be the creeper ex who gets angry about everything. This happened about the same time as Brent’s long explanation of how I suck as a person. So I decided that it would be best for me to disconnect from the internet and stay offline. This was mostly to prevent myself from being a hateful person to Greg, and I stayed mostly offline for about a year. When I felt that I had gotten over Brent’s takedown (it hurt, though I laugh about it now), gotten over Greg enough to move on, and got bored enough to want to get back online, I did. This is where things got weird(er).

Greg and I had stayed in touch during that year, still occasionally talking on the phone, but he respected my decision to keep contact low. When I came back online, things seemed fine and I felt that I could handle being friends without pining. And I could!

He couldn’t.

He became the standard jealous ex. He hated to see me role playing with other characters or people, especially if they were men. He made sure that all of my plots involved his characters in some way, and planned for my female characters to all hook up with his male characters. When I said I wasn’t interested, he got angry and called me various names.

It’s worth mentioning that he not only ran the forum I was part of, he was the administrator. He controlled the primary plots across the board, and by controlled I mean directly guided and refused to deviate from his plans, regardless of how long it took. Even if it took years for progress! I was in one thread where I asked him how my character was supposed to proceed, because everything I suggested was turned down by him. His response was “I expect you to figure it out.”

Him being the admin matters because he was also pretty mean to other players who were my friends. Example transcript from a time he approached one such friend about a delay of a few days in a thread:

Professionalism in online role play forums posted:

Greg: you and I need to have a word
Friend: Hrm? What? I posted...
Friend: Please don't hit me.
Greg: I waited 8 days on you for no reason Friend. That's 8 days past the time you were supposed to post, which is like two weeks after the last time you posted.
Greg: two posts a month man, what the gently caress is that
Friend: Yeah, I'm sorry. My computer was gone for a while. Something futzed out on my hard drive recently. Though that only accounts for last week.
Greg: I'm not buying it
Friend: That thread us just making me... looks for the word
Friend: Frustrated.
Greg: so your solution is to leave me and everyone else hanging while you decide if you feel like going along with it or not
Friend: I'm sorry Greg. I just had to take some time to consider my actions.
Greg: and how many times are you going to take a week to consider your actions? Because I don't have that kind of time, it destroys the thread, makes everyone lose interest and keeps things stagnant.
Friend: I'll try to stay on top of things then.
Greg: this is the last time
Friend: Look, I understand your upset Greg, but there's no need for the attitude.
Greg: I must respectfully disagree. you're lucky Wiggy defends you

So as time passed, he became more and more aggressive toward my friends and me. This aggression manifested in the role playing forum itself as he began targeting specific players, threads and plots, which either stopped or ground to a halt the moment he became involved. It got bad enough that other players would contact me to ask him about things rather than talk to him themselves. Finally, things came to a head on my birthday. This is when I got the letter.

It was impressively timed. I got it one day before my birthday in fact, opened it, and realized that I was reading a very passionate confession of love. If I had gotten that letter one year earlier, there’s no telling what my life would be like now. But I didn’t. I got it long after I had moved on emotionally, and was actually becoming interested in someone else.

So I told him that I wasn’t in love with him. He was sad but he seemed OK. Then I asked him if he’d be OK if I started a relationship with someone else.

Meltdown.

As part of this time, Greg decided he needed to leave the board and left me as the main admin. I had never done any programming, board setting work, anything along those lines, and didn’t really do much beyond make sure the board functioned. He returned after a week in a blaze of fury, accusing me of making massive changes and threatening to ban users who liked him.

By the end of several weeks of arguing, fighting, and general bad moods, I had been labeled a conniving, lying, manipulative bitch. I had lied to him about everything, ever, and deceived him and the rest of the online forum. When I decided to leave that forum and start a new one on my own, I was splitting the board out of spite and cruelty.

It was a community, too, so other players were also involved. It became a situation of taking sides for those closest to me, although I never wanted that. At least one person I’d thought of as a friend begged me to stay to “preserve the board,” nevermind the hateful comments and temper Greg was constantly aiming at me. I had to stay together for the kids!

I did my best to keep my personal feelings about all of this off of the board, so that other players except those close to me and Greg wouldn’t know about it. I finally quit the board, but that wasn’t the end. Greg called me, and he was ready to lay into me for being a vicious harpy. Instead, I started crying. We’d been good friends for ten years and I saw the writing on the wall. He asked me to delete everything referencing him on my computer, phone, etc., and then to burn the letter he’d sent me. I didn’t burn it then, but I did eventually because what English major doesn’t love a little melodrama?

The last conversation I ever had with him was in 2008, with him being angry with me about some setting that was changed on his board. He thought I’d changed it, and was angrily asking me what it was. I said I didn’t know, he figured out that the web host guy had actually made the change, and that was that.

tl;dr: Online drama is exhausting, run away people.

Popeston
Feb 1, 2009

Urbi et Orci

Wiggy Marie posted:

At the urging of a friend, I'm going to write up a couple of stories from when I was younger, stupider and needier.

Hello, I am said friend. I never post but Wiggy specifically asked me to so I could support the notion that she wasn't the monster so many upstanding internet dudes determined her to be.

Wiggy Marie posted:

Dude #2: Brent

Even in the horror story that is Brent with all it's uncomfortable undertones, overtones and midtones it still cracks me up how in his big, insane rant he has to make special mention that he was really, really good at building up false expectations.

He says it as if it's a talent, he's so creative and thoughtful he managed to weave an elaborate tapestry of a chick who's totally into giant knives. With subtly and nuance he crafted this wonderland only to have it shattered by something he could never have foreseen: someone thinking that giant knives aren't cool as all heck. Why'd you hide your distaste for giant knives from him? How come in all your interactions you never let you guard down enough to say "Oh hey, Giant Knives right? Not a fan"? Did he ever even know the real you???

Also, I've told you this hundreds of times but the idea you're a "vacant lot" that may have something valuable "underground" is never not perplexing to me. Like pirate treasure? Oil? Skeletons? I mean he follows it up by saying building regulations won't let him build the house of his dreams on you or something (Bylaws against giant knife shaped houses?) but that underground always gets me. Every interpretation I can think of comes off as serial killery and... well that's just way too apt and I don't like it.

You left out key Greg facts

- Had a friend who he went to great lengths to explain really wasn't that bright but he was loyal, which in many ways is better than being smart and maybe modern society places too much value on being smart (though he himself was very smart). It always came off like some imperialistic speech on the noble savage.
- Him and said friend used get in fights. I don't know what about, I assume they just saw Fight Club. They used hang out on people's cars to fight them, as you do.
- Other fight buddies dared him to go out into the ocean. I don't know if they knew he couldn't swim or not but he did it anyway cause you can't back down. He didn't die but he did have to cling to a rock and ended up getting cut up a lot. On the bright side I think of him every time I watch Gattaca.
- Once confronted me about "secretly" RPing with Wiggy. I had no clue of the backstory at this time and never quite understood why he would feel the need to confront me with something that was in fact common knowledge and we openly discussed in the chatroom. Now after reading her post I realise that he was afraid I was putting the moves on his girl. He needn't have worried, Wiggy's sentient guitar ended up killing my character and gaining fire powers so we never got around to the romance.

It's funny cause while Greg really was awful he should probably be commended for never showing up with a knife or sending dick pics. I think either were possible. He's bottom of the barrel but at least he's still in the barrel, though who knows that treasures might be be found underground~~

Popeston fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 13, 2016

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Firstly thank you all for sharing your stories about the awful, awful people you know and have had dealing with. We appreciate the new life you've brought to the thread and also your willingness to share. Although I hope you're all in much better places than you were when the events took place.

I kind of saw it as him meaning like under what he now considers the "real" Wiggy there might still be the person he imagined her to be or something. Or if he was talking about buried treasure it might have been some weird reference to your booty? Probably the worst thing about that is he thought you could build a new personality on you. Like the person you are or who you want to be was secondary to his own wants of you. Really glad you got out of that one okay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It means he needs to remove the top layers of skin and flesh to get at the delicious treasure within.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

You are mentioned in the OP now, Satyr. I can't afford to help financially right now but good luck!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Wants a girl to wear cat ears" is a red flag visible from space. I think any catgirl interest at all might be, frankly.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Wiggy Marie posted:

He went regularly to an internet café where he fought dudes because of “male honor.”

Yes, I was also really into Counter Strike in the 90's. The unforgiving realism was a welcome change from Quake's over the top action.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Antivehicular posted:

"Wants a girl to wear cat ears" is a red flag visible from space. I think any catgirl interest at all might be, frankly.

It was a much stupider time of my life. Or at least I like to tell myself that.

Rexides posted:

Yes, I was also really into Counter Strike in the 90's. The unforgiving realism was a welcome change from Quake's over the top action.

Are you doubting the truth of his claims?! It was so totally real maaaaan.

MiddleInitial
Oct 30, 2012
This popped into my head while I was reading the Brent story:
https://youtu.be/-yUafzOXHPE

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Antivehicular posted:

Don't kinkshame, pls.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

MiddleInitial posted:

This popped into my head while I was reading the Brent story:
https://youtu.be/-yUafzOXHPE

I'm slowly remembering more. He also once told me that evolutionarily speaking there was no reason for women's breasts to be so large, meaning that they were therefore designed for men to stare at and that women should just accept being stared at. Men just can't fight evolution.

I knew some awesome dudes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Wiggy Marie posted:

It was a much stupider time of my life. Or at least I like to tell myself that.
Believe me, I'm not judging you. I dated a cat-ears guy back in the day, and... yeah.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'm slowly remembering more. He also once told me that evolutionarily speaking there was no reason for women's breasts to be so large, meaning that they were therefore designed for men to stare at and that women should just accept being stared at. Men just can't fight evolution.

I knew some awesome dudes.

Something tells me he doesn't quite understand how evolution actually functions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

There's a decent body of evidence suggesting that mammals evolved external testicles for display purposes and that testicular temperature requirements were a consequence, not the cause, of that development. Clearly, by his logic, it's his obligation to evolution to keep his scrotum on prominent display and accept attention for it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Antivehicular posted:

http://www.whompcomic.com/2013/10/16/the-ear-and-meow/

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

There's a decent body of evidence suggesting that mammals evolved external testicles for display purposes and that testicular temperature requirements were a consequence, not the cause, of that development. Clearly, by his logic, it's his obligation to evolution to keep his scrotum on prominent display and accept attention for it.
People tend to get upset when I prominently display my testicles. I think there is some subconscious creationism going around here.

Though I'm pretty sure the increase in breast size of humans relative to other primates is directly correlated with us losing our snouts. So it's to give breast feeding babies room to breath.

Conclusion is clear men shouldn't stare at breasts in public, but should go balls out. It's just evolution man.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Amazing.

Another bit of Brent story:

He got in touch with me a couple of years after the falling out, after having joined the navy and moved to California (far, far away from me). I told him that we weren't friends and that if he kept trying to contact me, I wouldn't be nice to him. Well, he did because ??? and proceeded to tell me long stories about how his life had been going. I know that at some point I should have stopped responding, but these stories were just so bizarre, and now that I had a deadbolt and a happy 911 trigger finger, I wasn't worried about him finding me.

Anyway, during our time out of contact, he'd been diagnosed with leukemia and underwent treatment. As part of his treatment he had a port installed by his clavicle. If you're not familiar, this is embedded into the skin and threads into a vein. It allows for easier chemo treatments/blood drawing/etc. According to family members who have gotten this for their own treatments, it is the best thing.

Well Brent had kept his port after it was removed and decided that it would make a good necklace. And that whatever girl he started a relationship with had to wear it as a token of her affection. Because it had been close to his heart, and therefore it should be close to hers. When I pointed out that most girls would probably be weirded out by this kind of requirement, he said that they'd HAVE to wear it or not be with him.

Another time, he drove cross-country once and told me the interstates he'd be taking. I pointed out that one went through my area and recommended a hotel to stay in if he stopped there. He started asking me to meet up with him, to which I reminded him that we weren't actually friends and I was not going to meet up with him. He got angrier and angrier, and finally stopped chatting with me after ranting about how he couldn't believe I wouldn't meet for just a few minutes. And after that, he really did cut off contact with me.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Wiggy Marie posted:

And after that, he really did cut off contact with me.

Hooray, success story! :neckbeard:

Popeston
Feb 1, 2009

Urbi et Orci

Wiggy Marie posted:

Hey, if evolution didn't want dudes to stare at boobs then maybe evolution shouldn't have allowed us to imagine that was the case. I personally feel betrayed and I will never build my forever home on evolution.

I have a story which lacks anime and knife violence but I hope it's general undercurrent of bad life choices makes up for these shortcomings.

I never met Jane in person, there was a point where I could have but I remember her saying that it wouldn't happen because going places and meeting people didn't seem like my style. I remember I was annoyed by this, probably because she ended her sentence with :P as she always did, but also kind of relieved to have an out. In retrospect it was lucky I didn't meet her because I soon came to realise that Jane was in fact a terrible mess of a human being.

I've met a lot of normal people who Roleplay, for a lot of people it's just a good creative outlet, but as with any hobby where you pretend to be a wizard you get your weirdos. At first Jane didn't seem like a crazy person, she ran her own board and it seemed like an active, fun place. I'd never roleplayed before joining the site, only joining because we both happened to be on a forum about video game vampires, but since I liked writing (about vampires) I decided I'd give it a shot.

While initially she didn't have high hopes for me, I mean I didn't seem like the sort to be any good at RP :P, I really got into it and ended up playing a lot of characters. Eventually I became staff and became more and more invested in the forum. I remember putting a load of time into making wiki pages for the site as kind of a thank you for being made staff, even though I think I was just made staff cause I made a new race for the site (Mighty Desert Living Lizardmen). I thought we were good friends at that time, I didn't really have all that many people I regularly talked to due my natural distaste for meeting people and going places, but when I became staff I started to realise that there was something a little off about Jane.

The first time I remember something being strange is when a guy came to the forum and accused her of going to his site to steal members. It was weird, I asked her about it and she said she had but that they deserved it. This came around the same time as big rant thread where she said all Americans were stupid garbage. Though she herself was not American the guy who did all the technical stuff for her was and he was a bit insulted, she of course doubled down and said that though he was okay it was an objective fact that America was a stagnant cesspool of ignorance (The tech guy actually just rolled over and accepted this but he had his own issues, such as trying to hook up with another member on the forum, traveling to Canada and finding out she was married and her husband lived in the garage and just smoked weed all day). I thought this turn of events was weird but I didn't think much about it, I was too busy being around 5 separate fantastical heroes. Then one day in the chat I had a very mild argument with another member and Jane decided she needed to go in supreme damage control.

She started sending us both messages, I got one saying that the other member was just crazy and always had mood swings and I think the other member got one saying I was an arrogant rear end. Then the link to the chat mysteriously vanished and a big thread about how hurt she was posted. All of this just annoyed me, while I'd had an argument I felt she completely over reacting so I decided I'd leave.

I came back though, because I decided it was really unfair to ditch the people I was in threads with because I was mad at Jane. I wasn't staff anymore when I came back, except she forgot to take away my access so I could still see everything, and things sort of went back to normal. That was until I found her on another forum bragging about some of the unique ideas she'd implemented on her site, at least two of which were mine. I mentioned this to her in what I believed was a jokey way (to be honest I was sort of annoyed about it but I also realised it was sort of dumb) she took it very badly and said I was using accusatory language and she didn't like my tone. I left the forum again, this time I never went back.

Now I was sort of sick at the time, the past few months I had an undiagnoised illness and spent a lot of my time in pain or angry about being pain so in retrospect I may have been a bit hugh strung. There were a few times I considered apologising but in the end I never did. Which was lucky because hahaha, no she is actually crazy. There's been a lot of inside baseball up to this point without much of note but don't worry, that was mostly set up.

Jane was poor, as was her partner. Often she'd spend time explaining how the forum was very expensive to run and how they had they had to scrape together money to keep it going. Now she could have had a free forum, there's plenty of places that will offer you that, but instead she insisted on paying for premium hosting. It made the forum look a little better but it really was a waste of money, luckily she got other people to waste the money for her. It wasn't a constant thing but people would pay to keep the forum going cause she was in such dire straits. This was probably not a lot of money in the grand scale of things.

What probably was a lot of money was when her forum members banded together to buy her a new laptop. As you'd expect she was very grateful and wrote in great length how they were her family, how they were so important to her, how the forum belonged to all of them and how she felt so lucky to have them. It was very important that everyone realised that it was a community of equals and they were all important to the story. Then, one day out of the blue, she shut down the entire site.

You see her forum was based on her novel and her publisher advised her take down any online versions of it for safety. This decision had nothing to do with members of the forum doing their own story line and not letting her derail it. Jane and her partner had this habit of showing up in threads as the Cruel Lord of Lies or Shadowmaster Nefarious and trying to take over the story and make it about them. When the members wrote a thread about a battle and how they won it Jane went into the threads, explained how they'd been utterly crushed, locked the thread, archived it and then carried on as if nothing had happened. Of course it had to happen like she wrote it because in her novel, which took place a thousand years later, the history said this battle had been lost and so you know, gotta lose. When the members complained the forums were immediately shut down, an offline message explaining it was her dastardly publisher doing, and said she'd leave the forum up so people could retrieve their posts. She didn't, it was gone for good a few days later.

At this point I was long gone, having actually joined the forum owned by the guy who complained that Jane was trying to steal her members. When I was there for a while I found out that Jane had actually been a member there, up until she'd posted her college results on the forum and someone had congratulated her and then asked what the American equivalent of these results were because the percentages would result in very different marks in America. She lost her mind, she believed the person had called her stupid and so she deleted all her posts, started pming members to get them to join her site and then left. Surprisingly no one followed Jane to her site, maybe that rant thread about all Americans being morons was off putting or something.

Of course as the online medieval fantasy roleplay pool is a shallow one I'd run into Jane every now and then, never talking to her but getting reassurances that leaving when I did was a good idea. I ended up finding some other former members of her site, it was from them I got the story about why the forum ended, and whenever I'd end up talking to these people we'd check up on Jane. It was never good.

She'd started a new forum, once again a premium one she was putting money into even though she was even poorer than before. She didn't have a job, too ill, and her partner didn't have a job because he was her full time carer. While she was normally on disability she lost this for a few weeks she'd lost this as she'd missed several scheduled checkups to verify her disability because:
- Went to wrong building
- Forgot
- Too sick

During this period she lamented her situation, explaining how they could barely afford food, all while paying for internet access and paying for a premium roleplay forum. Eventually this was rectified and she even got a potential diagnosis for her vague, debilitating pain disease. It wasn't a good one, it's not the kind of condition you'd want, but after a brief period of lamenting this she started saying how she would get all the treatment and medication she deserved for it. Later she did the test to confirm she had the condition, she didn't. She did have some other vague condition that could maybe potentially lead to it though and that was enough. She became a champion of this condition, changing all her forum signatures to link to a charity for it and telling everyone she could about it. For a few months.

While I realise this makes me sound like a total dick I can't help but feel part of her was happy to have an illness as now she had an excuse. While I'm no expert I have seen five seasons of House so it did always come across to me like she just really, really wanted painkillers. She'd write long posts about her terrible pain, how she couldn't do anything and how she needed, deserved medication but then a day later she'd be ranting about something utterly inconsequential on her RP site. It was a weird roller coaster where seemingly significant illness got the same emotional reaction as someone doing something in a thread that she didn't like. I eventually found her blog and this only got worse, with one post lamenting her lack of money and the next saying that a relative had died, she'd gotten an inheritance and woooooo! Going to Disneylaaaaand. Once again this was intermingled with posts about how she'd been right about a person on her RP but no one believed her or how she was going to start writing erotica for Amazon and make a lot of money (If you ever read any erotica that sounds like a wrestling match with a leaky faucet you may have found her). As I said it's a roller coaster but it's a roller coaster that only goes down.

I think Jane is back in college now, studying psychology. She's on disability right now but often mentions about how when she gets her degree she'd get a proper job (Pretty sure this is not how disability works). I generally just feel sorry for her but then something will happen and I'll remember that despite her poo poo show of a life she's still awful. Once a good friend of mine got in an argument with someone else who happened to know Jane, Jane immediately started looking into my friend and when they found out they knew me she and her partner started posting about how "trolls hang with trolls", how some losers never get over stuff and how while she didn't care about the things these people do because they are pathetic and sad. I can only assume this is insight she has gotten from her psychology studies.

Anyways, I am still waiting for her novel to be published. I think it's been 10 years now, I don't know why her publisher is dragging his heels.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
A person can have a crappy lot in life that is beyond their control (such as a chronic illness) and you can still dislike them for being an utterly lovely person.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Popeston posted:

Eventually this was rectified and she even got a potential diagnosis for her vague, debilitating pain disease. It wasn't a good one, it's not the kind of condition you'd want, but after a brief period of lamenting this she started saying how she would get all the treatment and medication she deserved for it. Later she did the test to confirm she had the condition, she didn't.

It's not fibromyalgia, is it? I feel like every self-diagnosed internet crazy person has fibro.

Awful disease, and it sucks for people who really do suffer from it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
There is no test to 'confirm' fibro. That's part of why loonies love to cling to it, because it's impossible to prove (or, more importantly, disprove) that a person has it.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I was the Ugly American who asked about her grades. She completely flipped out, deleting previous posts and quitting the board in a rage .

Her partner posted as well, backing her crazy up. They both attacked players and tried stealing players from other boards. When they could've just asked like normal people. It was fun times.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dick Burglar posted:

A person can have a crappy lot in life that is beyond their control (such as a chronic illness) and you can still dislike them for being an utterly lovely person.

hyperhazard posted:

It's not fibromyalgia, is it? I feel like every self-diagnosed internet crazy person has fibro.

Awful disease, and it sucks for people who really do suffer from it.
These were weird posts to read one right after the other because my mom is someone with a crappy lot in life (her family was abusive in multiple ways) who actually has fibro and arthritis since she was like 30 (the last time I saw her, her index knuckles were swollen to the size of golf balls).

She is also a terrible parent, and a racist, homophobic, emotionally abusive person who I haven't so much as talked to for about three years.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
That drat Satyr's posts made me want to share, because holy poo poo is it a "but by the grace of crazy-people go I" story. I'm honestly even a little worried to publish this, because...well, stalkers are going to stalk.

Growing up I was very good friends with a girl named Danielle--we were in a small school system/had similar interests/etc. But by high school we were in different school systems--she went to a private one, me to public. We had more differences at this point, like her parents had bought her a horse she showed and I had a full-time job/about a million smaller things generally related to socioeconomic status. When it came to school things though we were pretty identical--she got a 5 on an AP exam, I got a 5 on an AP exam. She won the Best Scholar Award, I won Best Scholar Award, etc. We were basically nerdy overachievers who watched a lot of anime and spent a lot of time on slow-rear end dialup internet, and so we talked a lot on ICQ about *~how deep and intelligent~* we were/how hot Heero was from Gundam Wing/etc. Cringy, but nothing earth shattering.

As time went on, however, things got weird.

Danielle would continuously stand me up, make fun of me, and write long blog posts about how I was an idiot--very Mean Girls stuff. (An important note: Danielle was way, way more attractive than I was. She was honestly a very pretty girl who just happened to dress like a loon, whereas I looked like the love child of Bela Lugosi and Sandra Bernhard. I say this only because many have posited her explosion of weird was due to jealously, and...I just don't see it.) She would scream at me, I would apologize for something (like not understanding that she HAD to yell at me, because *reasons*), we'd both cry and declare our BFF status. Oddly enough pretty typical for 16-year-old girl relations.

One day we got into what I thought was a pretty normal fight--she wanted me to come away with her family for an expensive weekend in the city, and I couldn't go. It didn't matter how I explained it--that I couldn't miss work, that I couldn't afford to cover my own food, that I didn't have the clothing necessary to even GET IN to the sort of restaurants her family went to--she steamrolled, insisting I just didn't WANT to. I finally blew-up, and yelled at her that she was a spoiled brat. She went NUCLEAR, and after my mom kicked her out of our apartment Danielle SAT IN HER CAR OUTSIDE OUR WINDOW, wildly sobbing and occasionally honking the horn. I actually started laughing at the absurdity, because it was so over-the-top. I think she saw me laughing in the window, or just got tired, because after about fifteen minutes of this she sped off.

We had been writing fanfic together for some time (because of course we were), and the next day I found myself locked out of our shared fanfiction account. Our author profile had been changed to reflect that I had been abusive to her, so much so she'd had to start cutting (never saw evidence of this). I had stolen her boyfriends (she didn't have one); I'd taken her from Jesus (she was Jewish); I abandoned her after a party and left her "in the ghetto" (we didn't get invited to parties!). At this point I'm freaking out about being dumped by a friend who clearly thinks I did something terrible, and have a full-on breakdown. My mom, who had about 10 years of watching this cycle, snapped.

She told me NOT to contact Danielle, and took me out for ice cream. She was a good parent.

But then things started happening. Over the course of a year, a bunch of weird things happened: an anonymous letter was sent to my high school, alleging I had cheated in a number of courses. Calls came in to my retail boss that I had done things like spit at a customer. Our house was TP-ed several times. Someone silly-stringed my car. My boyfriend would receive ICQ messages alleging I was cheating on him.

Now, my parents had the sort of job that attracted general weirdos, and initially thought that's what was happening here. The boyfriend also had a number of emo exes, who I thought might have been mad at me. I also thought that maybe, just maybe, it was Danielle. She still sent me occasional messages telling me how much she hated me, and was fond of posting about "fake friends" on Myspace, but I never thought she would risk getting into trouble. Then letters were sent to several organizations that had given me scholarships for college. One of the letters, which alleged I was faking my race/ethnicity in order to get a scholarship, spawned an investigation. My mom did not take kindly to that, and went in guns blazing. She had a meeting with Danielle's parents, while I sat at home vomiting from fear that Danielle--that I know hated me, and at the time I hated a bit back--would be mad at me. That I was a bad person, because if I hadn't been a bad friend in the first place she never would have needed to send out letters alleging I was the late 90s version of Rachel Dolezal.

We had very limited contact after that--we graduated, went to different colleges, etc. The only things that continued to happen were her doing things like making a big show of ignoring me if she happened to run into me and calling me once every few months while drunk to scream that I had ruined her life. Normal weirdo stuff, until right around my senior year of college when I got a call from a mutual friend to google myself.

Danielle had been writing, and writing a lot. But her Proustian efforts were no longer limited to how Heero and Duo were totes hot, oh no. Instead she had been writing about me. First and last Real Name me. About the scores of terrible, lovely things I had done to her. I was the mom from "A Child Called It," only uglier because I was attacking an amazing person who had to overcome so much (her list of claims modeled that of the tumblrs that are so often mocked here). All of these things were available online. There were hundreds of pages of this poo poo, where I (and a host of other people, only a handful of whom I knew) set out to destroy her. Yet there were other chapters praising me, which was honestly scarier.

I immediately panicked, because holy shitballs. I went to college aid, who advised me to try to contact the other folks listed. A few responded, one of which was a dude who himself came from money...a hell of a lot of money. He got the family lawyer to draw something up, and within 48 hours of me talking to him, all the "fiction" about us was offline. Stories about her being weird trickled back to me, like how she had broken into one of the homes of one the "haters" from her novel, but they were very few and far between. I kept the copy of her novel just-in-case. but finally trashed it after a move when I realized it had been 10+ years without contact, and figured I wouldn't need it.

If you can guess who then got a two-page handwritten letter about a month and a half later, as if crazy had some sort of sense, you win all the Internet points.

(She was writing to tell me how much she valued our past friendship, and how hurt she was I didn't tell her I was moving. She had written the whole thing in multicolored pen, ROYGBIV style, with every letter being a new color.) She does not have our new address, and I do not have social media. I occasionally still look her up (because of course) she has all of her social media settings set to super-open, mainly to make sure she's not publicly planning on murdering me. She seems happy, but often posts rants about people in her local Lolita costume group.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FearCotton posted:

She seems happy, but often posts rants about people in her local Lolita costume group.
Excellent stinger. :golfclap:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FearCotton posted:

She seems happy, but often posts rants about people in her local Lolita costume group.

Wait, there's someone on SA who keeps doing that whenever creepy anime poo poo comes up. Could it be?..

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Wait, there's someone on SA who keeps doing that whenever creepy anime poo poo comes up. Could it be?..

Oh jesus, I hope not. I would like to say that--in her favor!--her costumes always fit/are well taken care of. It is very clear she spends a ton of money on these looks. The problem is that she wears these things CONSTANTLY, which means that you're going to get looks on the street as you're a 30 year old dressed like Strawberry Shortcake.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

FearCotton posted:

Frenemy Stalker

Ugh. I'm glad you has your mom's support during all that.

FiftyMews
Oct 24, 2016

value-brand cereal posted:

It's nothing I'm involved with, but here's something that's been happening for about 8 years. It involved undertale, otherkin/fictionkin poo poo, roleplaying, pedos grooming and abusing minors, tracing art, and other poo poo: http://asktheundyingerrorisabusive.tumblr.com/

A taste to get you interested:

But the blog owners have a mostly good summary of events in this post: http://asktheundyingerrorisabusive.tumblr.com/post/149247113700/okay-im-kinda-returning-on-this-whole-issue-but

By the way: there's rape and maybe child rape involved? Potentially real life rape, not the roleplaying online kind. I haven't read everything but fair warning.

Hi, I know the owners of that blog and am also a victim of "asksanstheundying". I can tell you there's definitely IRL child rape involved, some of the situations beginning online, a few that do not.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

Ugh, Mews that is awful. I am so sorry to hear that.

Do the blog owners have a quick summary of what's going on? It seems like the FF7 house on steroids.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

Isn't that just "it hurts and we don't know why" ? It's a description of symptoms, not a diagnosis.

FiftyMews
Oct 24, 2016

FearCotton posted:

Ugh, Mews that is awful. I am so sorry to hear that.

Do the blog owners have a quick summary of what's going on? It seems like the FF7 house on steroids.

It's hard for me to really give a TL;DR. It's jumbled and recently I've been diagnosed with provisional PTSD due to it, for an idea of how badly these kids get effected by this crap. It's hard to talk about in an organized and clear manner.

"Undying"/Anna has been grooming kids and teen potentially since she was in her teens herself, primarily by warping concepts discussed in the Otherkin community (not that many would care, but the off-tumblr sort of it). I came in earily-mid She'll essentially use this to create a ult-like scenario, isolating kids and dressing them up as any character she's fond of at the time, telling them they're her soulmate through X many lives or the soulmate of a made-up headmate, for the purpose of living out yaoi hentai rape fantasies. She also does this weird "what we're roleplaying is taking place on the astral plane!" stuff. Making kids feel important and powerful, basically, by telling them all the insane poo poo they're doing is actually happening.
Typically these kids are between 12-17, afab, have low-self esteem, and often but not always are questioning their gender/sexuality. Like she has a profile she actually goes for. She's not been subtle about wanting to take these relationships into real life, too, and has had kids lie to their parents to have it happen - hence where child rape comes in, in addition to raping adults. She's admitted to raping a 15 year old and someone else has said they raped them at 16. There's a screenshot where she admitted to everything she was being called out for (includng theft, rape, assault and pedophilia), but the original post was deleted when she deleted her old blog due to the attention she was getting. She's also incredibly physically violent towards people she enters relationships with in real life. The 15 year old previously mentioned suffered head trauma after being thrown during a time where they ended up homeless with her years later.

Recently a group of people who have dealt with her in the past created a blog about her because she's repeating this pattern on a place like tumblr, where as you might imagine there are a lot of kids matching that profile in excess. The main goal has been to warn people before they have to deal with it and document (and make public) the abuse and other crap since it's going to be useful if we find a way to press charges or of she finally gets caught. Currently she's openly stated she's dating a 16 year old on her blog, has been confirmed to be sexual with the kid, and has a "sin server" on discord that's mostly made of of minors. There are people in there she isn't aware of too, collecting screens of her actively manipulating and roleplaying really suggestive crap with them. What sucks is that she's roped in at least the old 16 year old really hard to where they've admitted they know Anna is abusive and that they just don't care because "They're different" and junk. All the while Anna is blaming a former victim (again, the mentioned 15 year old, who's 23 now) who isn't actually able to put any of the info on the blog and isn't organizing any of it.

This might be a mess to read. It's really hard to organize and effectively summarize for me. I don't even clearly remember most of the years I spent in this. If you either want to eat up the drama about it so far or are just curious/concerned or whatever Here's The Blog About Her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't that just "it hurts and we don't know why" ? It's a description of symptoms, not a diagnosis.

I don't have fibro, but it is a condition which has a test, it has a set of symptoms, and is widely accepted by the medical community. Unfortunately, the fact that there's overlap in the symptoms with a -lot- of other disorders mean that it's often a fallback diagnosis. We can't figure out what's up, so have a fibro diagnosis. The condition I have - Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome - seems to be one where a lot of folks are initially misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia.

• Locked thread