Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is it just me or is CSP's vector capabilities absurdly strong? I just saw this tweet, and just,
https://twitter.com/ayumu_k_/status/782792202950877184
:captainpop:

Are there any in depth tutorials on all the poo poo you can do with CSP's vectors? Like I figured out the vector magnet tool and the "erase to the intersection" tool in that video, but how did they get line width to automatically readjust like that?

e: no matter what I tried I also couldn't get it to work quite like the video where they'd draw the line and it'd initially display "properly" before snapping into place. On my intuos, it always either pre-snaps into the old lineart or it just never snaps in at all.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

What does CSP stand for in this context? That looks super cool.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

kedo posted:

What does CSP stand for in this context? That looks super cool.

Clip studio paint

e: I think I may have stumbled on the option that I was talking about, it's (11) on this page. But I don't have that correction option listed on my brush settings even though I have the same 1.5.4 version as this guide is for. Maybe this is a beta Jp only tool for now which would supremely suck...

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 12, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey all. Quick dumb electrical question. If I'm running 9v battery(s) to a 12v squirrel cage fan in a helmet.. and want a little button inline to turn it on and off... does anything on that button matter, specs-wise? Like on Amazon I see what looks perfect but says:

URBEST Metal Toggle Switch SPST Round Micro Push Button Switch 2 Pins AC 125V 3A Red 10Pcs

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Feenix posted:

Hey all. Quick dumb electrical question. If I'm running 9v battery(s) to a 12v squirrel cage fan in a helmet.. and want a little button inline to turn it on and off... does anything on that button matter, specs-wise? Like on Amazon I see what looks perfect but says:

URBEST Metal Toggle Switch SPST Round Micro Push Button Switch 2 Pins AC 125V 3A Red 10Pcs

At those voltages, any normal switch works fine.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

PRADA SLUT posted:

At those voltages, any normal switch works fine.

Thank you!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm not sure how to phrase this:

So I've been writing an RPG book for a while but the drat thing is a huge Excel workbook for all the tables and Word documents for the lore chunks.

Is there an industry standard program for compiling everything if I wanted to get it printed?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not sure how to phrase this:

So I've been writing an RPG book for a while but the drat thing is a huge Excel workbook for all the tables and Word documents for the lore chunks.

Is there an industry standard program for compiling everything if I wanted to get it printed?
InDesign. You can either pay someone to set up the book for you, or you can learn InDesign yourself. If you were only doing a prose book like a novel, it would probably be easier to give your Word doc to one of the online ebook/print-on-demand prep services; but the fact that you have lots of tables will make it trickier.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Okay, thanks. I tend to pick up new programs really quickly so I'll just try to teach myself.
I need to intersperse the lore with the tables anyway.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Inzombiac posted:

Okay, thanks. I tend to pick up new programs really quickly so I'll just try to teach myself.
I need to intersperse the lore with the tables anyway.
If you're up for learning something a bit trickier but possibly more useful to you in the long run, I suggest taking up Emacs org-mode for your book. It works really well for mixed formatting/information, and supports tables in a plaintext markup similar to Markdown. It exports to PDF via LaTeX, so you could (with some fiddling and learning curve) create a single .org document that can be export to a print-ready PDF, including chapter headings, prose, tables, etc.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend books for just learning general digital drawing/sketching/painting/etc, with no particular subject, focus, or goal in mind?

I have an iPad Pro with the Pencil and thought about picking it up, so that's my medium.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I like to draw and doodle as a hobby and I've started playing with my drawings in Photoshop enough that I'm thinking of getting a tablet of some sort. I checked out the Wacom thread but that seemed focused on super high end stuff. Any recommendations for a relatively bare bones entry level drawing tablet?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I'm a freelance writer and I want to pitch an article to an online publication about comic books (specifically, the appearance of Pittsburgh in comic books over the years). Now I know that Fair Use can be tricky, am I likely to be able to use the occasional panel here and there to illustrate the article? Does the consideration change if I'm hoping to be paid for the article, thus making it commercial use?

I know there are loads of sites that review comic books or do articles about "10 Times Batman Did This" and don't get sued, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a potential problem.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

I like to draw and doodle as a hobby and I've started playing with my drawings in Photoshop enough that I'm thinking of getting a tablet of some sort. I checked out the Wacom thread but that seemed focused on super high end stuff. Any recommendations for a relatively bare bones entry level drawing tablet?

Monoprice and the wacom Bamboos are entry priced.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Lamont posted:

I'm a freelance writer and I want to pitch an article to an online publication about comic books (specifically, the appearance of Pittsburgh in comic books over the years). Now I know that Fair Use can be tricky, am I likely to be able to use the occasional panel here and there to illustrate the article? Does the consideration change if I'm hoping to be paid for the article, thus making it commercial use?

I know there are loads of sites that review comic books or do articles about "10 Times Batman Did This" and don't get sued, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a potential problem.

Fair use is applicable in the case of commentary which sounds exactly like what you're doing.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Potential BFF posted:

Wacom has completely changed their naming convention for tablets in the last few years, I know they used to be called Bamboo, but I think it's just Intuos now, with Intuos Pro being the higher-end tablets and Cintiq being the display tablets. I did professional work on a Intuos Pen & Touch for a year and a half, which at the time was their $99 model. It worked really well for the price point and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a hobbyist or beginner.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Much appreciated!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Let's say I have a computer image I'd like to frame and display on my wall. How can I do that?

Related: Is there a way I can print a light outline from a computer image onto a canvas, then paint over that as a guide?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yes to both. Printable canvas is a thing. It's not particularly cheap to print and stretching it well is a hassle, but doable.

As for the image, what size and resolution are we talking here? If it's just some random picture from the internet it's likely a low dpi and won't look great when printed.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thanks. High-res (whatever I want really), and mostly discrete colors with sharp contrast. For option A, could I just bring the image on a flash drive to kinkos, then buy a frame that takes paper/thick paper? Or maybe an online service where I send them the file, and they post me the image?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 22, 2016

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Golden acrylic makes a thin printable membrane/stuff that takes inkjet ink, and can then be mounted onto canvas with medium and painted over as you would with any other acrylic paint and medium.

https://www.goldenpaints.com/technicalinfo_digigrnd

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Love it.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
wrong thread

AARO fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 2, 2016

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
My wife is getting fed up with the local illustration market in the country where we now reside (going into year 9 of Eurocrisis with no end in sight, woo) and she wants to start looking for work in overseas markets for commissions and so forth. What's a good boilerplate introduction email in English to send to publishers with her portfolio? She's not a native English speaker but near-bilingual, and I'm a native speaker but I have no clue on how these things work. The situation is wildly differently where we live now, which is partly why she wants to expand her horizons abroad, since people here are pretty unprofessional and also exploit creative types far more egregiously than in other developed countries. I'll admit that I'm completely in the dark on this, and any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

As someone who regularly buys illustration, I want to see the following in an email:

• Link to her portfolio site or an attached portfolio PDF
• Her rate
• A good cover letter including text that lets me know she is aware of how deadlines work and knows how to meet them

If she'd like, she can send me a draft and I can provide feedback: something.kedo [at sign] gmail [a period] com

She's not going to get a ton of work with unsolicited emails like this unless she sends out a ton. That's not to say she shouldn't do it, but it's something to be aware of. If she's done work for anyone previously who can help her network a bit, that tends to be more productive.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I have a really dumb grammar question that I can't seem to google an answer to.

quote:

Frank's car is better than hers.

Does 'hers' need an apostrophe?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What iPad app do I want, strictly for painting along with Bob Ross? Procreate?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Probably ArtRage if you're really planning to paint along with Bob Ross. It's the one that tries hardest to simulate natural media stuff. It's not very good. Procreate is tons better but is more digital-oriented.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

What iPad app do I want, strictly for painting along with Bob Ross? Procreate?

You could always buy paint supplies. An initial tool setup (which you could reuse) and paints for a single painting would probably cost you roughly the same as a high quality app. :shrug:

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
So I wrote a small short story and I'm looking for feedback. Is there a thread for that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Benson Cunningham posted:

I have a really dumb grammar question that I can't seem to google an answer to.

Does 'hers' need an apostrophe?

To further elaborate, pronouns do not use apostrophes to show ownership. Instead, they have a specific form for ownership.

You might be confused because people tend to confuse its and it's all the time. It's is a contraction of it is, while its is the form of the pronoun it that is used for ownership.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

To further elaborate, pronouns do not use apostrophes to show ownership. Instead, they have a specific form for ownership.

You might be confused because people tend to confuse its and it's all the time. It's is a contraction of it is, while its is the form of the pronoun it that is used for ownership.
I never thought about it that way but it makes sense. Hers, theirs, its, ours - all possessive pronouns that don't have apostrophes.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It's one of the few occurrences in English of noun declension :eng101:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Star Man posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate the extended explanation. In the original sentence, "Frank's car is better than hers," or whatever I wrote, there is an implicit ownership of an unmentioned car to 'her'. I know that the most basic use of apostrophes in that sense is to show ownership (as in Frank's), but wasn't sure what to do in this case.

To take it a step further though, what if it's reversed, as in "Her car is better than Frank's." Would it be correct as written there, with the apostrophe?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Benson Cunningham posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate the extended explanation. In the original sentence, "Frank's car is better than hers," or whatever I wrote, there is an implicit ownership of an unmentioned car to 'her'. I know that the most basic use of apostrophes in that sense is to show ownership (as in Frank's), but wasn't sure what to do in this case.

To take it a step further though, what if it's reversed, as in "Her car is better than Frank's." Would it be correct as written there, with the apostrophe?

Yeah, because Frank is a proper noun, not a pronoun. Otherwise you're talking about one car belonging to a bunch of people named Frank and that's just crazy talk.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Ferrule posted:

Yeah, because Frank is a proper noun, not a pronoun. Otherwise you're talking about one car belonging to a bunch of people named Frank and that's just crazy talk.

Cool, just making sure. Nothing makes me second guess myself as much as the English language.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm curious about getting someone interested in learning about painting set up with a decent acrylic painting setup. What should I get in the $100-$200 range?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm looking to make a custom printed hoodie, and while there are plenty of sites offering the service, I have no idea which ones offer the highest quality fabric and printing. Can anyone point me in the direction of luxurious hoodies and durable printing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm looking to make a custom printed hoodie, and while there are plenty of sites offering the service, I have no idea which ones offer the highest quality fabric and printing. Can anyone point me in the direction of luxurious hoodies and durable printing?

Everyone in my office is in love with CustomInk. We're ordering some hoodies in the next week or so (and as such I cannot vouch for their luxuriousness), however we've ordered t-shirts from them previously and the print job and fabric quality were both great.