Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Me, I'm the one pissing myself off.

Been dealing with configuring windows 10 tablets, got 90% of my script done, just need to script a few installs and copy things which will be ezpz, so I moved on to making a local group policy. I've got a windows 10 VM I'm screwing with, in as my admin user, make a bunch of changes and then... welp now I've locked myself out of literally everything (these devices will basically be kiosk devices...). Delete VM and start over, at least I documented all the changes I made outside the VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MF_James posted:

Me, I'm the one pissing myself off.

Been dealing with configuring windows 10 tablets, got 90% of my script done, just need to script a few installs and copy things which will be ezpz, so I moved on to making a local group policy. I've got a windows 10 VM I'm screwing with, in as my admin user, make a bunch of changes and then... welp now I've locked myself out of literally everything (these devices will basically be kiosk devices...). Delete VM and start over, at least I documented all the changes I made outside the VM.

The policies are just files. You could have mounted the virtual disk, and replaced them with clean copies from another windows 10 install, or even ones extracted from the install media. They are in c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy\

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

pixaal posted:

Are they on the domain? You can do this with a GPO. in 2008R2, I'd verify but I only have 2008 right now.

User Configuration
└ Preferences
└ Control Panel Settings
└ Regional Options
technet
If you are running an older domain, this article mentions some registry fun you can have.

They're all on a domain, I actually suggested this a while back (during that meeting) but i've not had it approved yet (as i'm still the youngest and technically "filling in" for a guy who isn't there, I can't make changes without approval still).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

EoRaptor posted:

The policies are just files. You could have mounted the virtual disk, and replaced them with clean copies from another windows 10 install, or even ones extracted from the install media. They are in c:\windows\system32\grouppolicy\

Yeah I thought about that after I blew the VM up, whatever, it's only 30 minutes to get it up and running, plus I messed around with a bunch of stuff so not too bad to start fresh.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

dogstile posted:

They're all on a domain, I actually suggested this a while back (during that meeting) but i've not had it approved yet (as i'm still the youngest and technically "filling in" for a guy who isn't there, I can't make changes without approval still).

Well that is the solution if they don't want it that is their problem. Some place not allowing a GPO change that basic especially if it's at the OU or security level isn't worth staying at long term. You will be manually doing the same thing over and over forever without any automation.

Get the experience you need and apply for some place that values your skills.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Shithead dev trying to passive aggressively throw me under the bus for a production issue by claiming I didn't prepare for a known outage this weekend, when it's actually his lovely MQ implementation that goes tits up if it loses connection to the MQ server and just silently fails all messaging until you restart it. Go gently caress yourself.

And while I'm at it, stop trying to squirrel your way out of following change procedure. You're not getting production admin access to deploy your own changes no matter how much you cry about urgency. :fuckoff:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Haha, this place is getting toxic as gently caress. The office snitch is further endearing herself to our former team lead(reminder that she got him demoted in the first place) because he isn't necessarily at his desk for 8 hours each day. He has a 3 week old infant and does a bunch of work from home, but she can't see him so he is obviously slacking. So he got reprimanded and is literally being moved to a cubicle where she can keep an eye on his comings and goings.

Yes, things have rapidly devolved to the point where we are being treated like actual children.

She went above our managers head directly to the CTO who is apparently rewarding her by giving in to her complaints.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who does she have dirt on that this is allowed to happen?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Oh, former team lead is also on 2 weeks of involuntary leave starting next week(still paid but taken out of his vacation pool).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
holy poo poo toxic work environment. I'd be reporting her for harassment if I wasn't a direct report of hers.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

SeaborneClink posted:

holy poo poo toxic work environment. I'd be reporting her for harassment if I wasn't a direct report of hers.

C level protection is a scary thing. HR is going to side with them before you, believe that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Khisanth Magus posted:

She went above our managers head directly to the CTO who is apparently rewarding her by giving in to her complaints.

Why is your manager being spineless about all of this? Your manager just lost what I'm assuming is a productive employee (based on previously being team lead) for two weeks for no reason. Nobody could possibly be happy about what's going on, so office attitude is quickly going to change until employees walk. Maybe you're leaving something out but the PM went over the managers head time and time again, they should be in beat-down mode or at least reasoning with the CTO to shut her down. That manager is short for the role if they're going to let a PM run the department into the ground under their watch.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Logical, rational things

The C level is enough of a psychopath, and the PM is one as well, and knows exactly the right buttons to push to get her way.

poo poo like this can happen to the sanest of departments.

KMagus: Run.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The lady wh occ:'s herself and also drags the email to her calendar also attaches a PDF of the email she's replying to when she responds to an email. I don't even want to know.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Table, with big list of locations. What format? PDF. K.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

well why not posted:

"PDF has been around for 25 years you're telling me there's no way to read that format?"

Sure there is, you can write whatever the gently caress you want to it though

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Why is your manager being spineless about all of this? Your manager just lost what I'm assuming is a productive employee (based on previously being team lead) for two weeks for no reason. Nobody could possibly be happy about what's going on, so office attitude is quickly going to change until employees walk. Maybe you're leaving something out but the PM went over the managers head time and time again, they should be in beat-down mode or at least reasoning with the CTO to shut her down. That manager is short for the role if they're going to let a PM run the department into the ground under their watch.

I don't think my manager even really knew any of this until this week. He knew she had complained about us some, but not the level of it. This may partially be due to the fact that my manager doesn't actually work at the home office with the rest of us normally, he works in one of our satellite offices in California and manages remotely. So he would only know what the CTO tells him. I do know that he has been telling the CTO that he(the manager) doesn't care about any of the stuff she is complaining about.

The CTO also has only been with the company for about 6 months now, so him being knew here may also be having some effect.

We(the dev team) think that she is doing this to cast away any blame for projects running behind(turns out that losing over 50% of your development staff will do that, who knew). The most notable one is a project to update the 3rd party software our stuff is built on top of to the most recent version, which is going to end up being delayed a month, and that is a project that the former team lead is in charge of. However the reason it is being delayed is because the vendor hosed up in providing us the new version, as the files they gave us for the new version did not include a bunch of rather major one-off fixes they had done for us previously, and they can't have their poo poo fixed until the end of the month. She just needs someone she can throw under the bus, particularly as the CTO loves the vendor who makes that software.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

well why not posted:

Suddenly reminded when they started giving me termination lists in PDF instead of Excel.

"Can I get this in Excel instead?"
"Here's where the raw data is, get it yourself."

:sludgepal:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Khisanth Magus posted:

I don't think my manager even really knew any of this until this week. He knew she had complained about us some, but not the level of it. This may partially be due to the fact that my manager doesn't actually work at the home office with the rest of us normally, he works in one of our satellite offices in California and manages remotely. So he would only know what the CTO tells him. I do know that he has been telling the CTO that he(the manager) doesn't care about any of the stuff she is complaining about.

The CTO also has only been with the company for about 6 months now, so him being knew here may also be having some effect.

We(the dev team) think that she is doing this to cast away any blame for projects running behind(turns out that losing over 50% of your development staff will do that, who knew). The most notable one is a project to update the 3rd party software our stuff is built on top of to the most recent version, which is going to end up being delayed a month, and that is a project that the former team lead is in charge of. However the reason it is being delayed is because the vendor hosed up in providing us the new version, as the files they gave us for the new version did not include a bunch of rather major one-off fixes they had done for us previously, and they can't have their poo poo fixed until the end of the month. She just needs someone she can throw under the bus, particularly as the CTO loves the vendor who makes that software.

Reading the horror stories of office politics makes me incredibly angry. I want to tell you to bail on that job and poo poo on her desk on the way out; but that's probably not the plan here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Why do people insist on using printers in the stupidest ways? A Manager is out of the country at another site, he put up a large enough stink to get access to a printer over the VPN and is using it like a fax. He then calls someone in the office and tells them he printed the report. There is an export to PDF option in the software can you just email it to these people? Best part is he insisted that the main printer wasn't secure left voice mails for the person to pickup paper from his office and the drum just gave up and everything is light and fuzzy mess. Of course he didn't save this stuff and is mad he needs to run the reports again!

At least his boss, who pulled enough weight to get me to setup the printer this way is seeing that I was right and this was not the correct way to do this. It's not going to change the fact that this is going to stay the solution though.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off today: loving ENGINEERING BUILDS ON PRODUCTION HARDWARE.

God loving dammit.

New building went up a few months ago, got everything stable, conference rooms, good. network, good. Our engineering team asked our support team if they would "test" a build for them, so they decided to update all 30 devices in the new building with the test build.

Guess what? Everything loving blew up.

Guess what else? They think it's the network, not the jank rear end build from some engineer's test code base.

edit: oh yeah, there's a company wide meeting in about 90 minutes that uses that gear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

Why do people insist on using printers in the stupidest ways? A Manager is out of the country at another site, he put up a large enough stink to get access to a printer over the VPN and is using it like a fax. He then calls someone in the office and tells them he printed the report. There is an export to PDF option in the software can you just email it to these people? Best part is he insisted that the main printer wasn't secure left voice mails for the person to pickup paper from his office and the drum just gave up and everything is light and fuzzy mess. Of course he didn't save this stuff and is mad he needs to run the reports again!

At least his boss, who pulled enough weight to get me to setup the printer this way is seeing that I was right and this was not the correct way to do this. It's not going to change the fact that this is going to stay the solution though.

We print and then scan and email things to people at our other offices because 'knowing how to use a computer' isn't a job skill HR screens for

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Not pissing me off:

I had a non-lovely experience with some printers yesterday. I noticed ldap wasn't setup on our mfc's, got it setup in 20 minutes, and people are happy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bob Morales posted:

We print and then scan and email things to people at our other offices because 'knowing how to use a computer' isn't a job skill HR screens for

What do you mean, it says right there on their resume, "15 years experience with Office 2011"

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I mean, I'm guilty of print > scan > email but that's because I was trying to get away from double-entering between NAV and QuickBooks, so I kludged together my own Excel VBA solution, and instead of having a save-to-PDF button on forms (or even the dashboard), I would have had to do the save as PDF thing and I just couldn't be assed and decided it was less effort to print and scan. :downsgun:

I went back to QuickBooks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Printers serve no purpose in a modern office, the last time I had to use one was only so I could submit proper forms to a department that is still living in the stone age and hasn't implemented any kind of web based submission.

Dipshits, they love to boast about how air dryers in the bathroom and recycling bins in the halls are doing so much to save the planet but completely ignore the reams of paper being burned through by fossils still living in the 70's.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

D34THROW posted:

I went back to QuickBooks.

I'm sorry.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm at a remote site for a few days. The old site manager was a hoarder so one of my tasks is to sort out what IT kit is worth keeping. Highlights include:

A box full of PCI cards. Coax, parallel, you name it.

A box of circuit boards. I don't know what any of them are from, but I love West German craftsmanship.

Bunch of switches and hubs and whatever the gently caress a spiderintegrator pico is.

Oh it's a router and it has a recent config backup :)

The mouse is probably somewhere around here

Dunno if I can bring myself to throw out this old fellow

Fuckin love this

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I print my expenses once a month because the person who processes them couldn't deal with a web-based solution that everybody attached PDF receipts to.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Fool posted:

Not pissing me off:

I had a non-lovely experience with some printers yesterday. I noticed ldap wasn't setup on our mfc's, got it setup in 20 minutes, and people are happy.
I think I might go and nuke the address book on our Sharp MFP to force people to use the global search, I just need to find out if our Xerox can use LDAP too.

Bob Morales posted:

It actually bothers me if a service provider or whatever I need to buy something from, sends a .Doc order form that needs printing/signing/scanning. Dude you already have our payment details, let me just give you a purchase order number you can stick on the quote and lets be done with it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

A box full of PCI cards. Coax, parallel, you name it.

Pretty sure that's actually ISA. :v:

The angle of the photo makes identifying it a little ambiguous, but ISA had much bigger contacts than even early PCI cards. Put that poo poo in a museum.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I want to build a retro rig with ISA slots so I dug out a machine I had stashed at my parents house and it was this thing with a daughter card that had dual PPro processors, and the thing won't boot!!

e: it me i'm the hoarder

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mewse posted:

I want to build a retro rig with ISA slots so I dug out a machine I had stashed at my parents house and it was this thing with a daughter card that had dual PPro processors, and the thing won't boot!!

e: it me i'm the hoarder

Aren't you, in fact, forcing your parents to be hoarders? :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I still have a dual PPro box in my apartment which I haven't done anything with. I must have gotten it like 10-15 years ago, and I was planning to make it a firewall or something but never had the disposable income to do so. Now, I totally have enough money but it's so underpowered and old it's not worth it anymore. :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only old PC I've hung on to is my toshiba libretto. It's about the size of a VHS tape so is pretty easy to stash in a box to bring out for bragging rights once in a while.

I do have some other bigger stuff in the closet that I've been meaning to get rid of because I've come to the realization I will never use any of it again, but none of it's x86. Would probably have a better home in some hoarder's gallery.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I had an original Mac 512k from my grandfather that had the signatures of the design team on the inside of the case -- I gave it away to a dude that became my boss at my first IT job and was one of the biggest douches I've ever worked with

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Khisanth Magus posted:

Haha, this place is getting toxic as gently caress. The office snitch is further endearing herself to our former team lead(reminder that she got him demoted in the first place) because he isn't necessarily at his desk for 8 hours each day. He has a 3 week old infant and does a bunch of work from home, but she can't see him so he is obviously slacking. So he got reprimanded and is literally being moved to a cubicle where she can keep an eye on his comings and goings.

Yes, things have rapidly devolved to the point where we are being treated like actual children.

This is a situation where I'd be sorely tempted to talk to everyone she's affected negatively, and have every person just not show up for a day. Have everyone basically say "nope, not coming back until snitch is dealt with". Wonder how quickly the CTO would poo poo his pants realizing that everyone hates her and his rear end is over a barrel, because he can't find anyone to do the work and probably knows gently caress-all about it himself.

DigitalMocking posted:

Our engineering team asked our support team if they would "test" a build for them, so they decided to update all 30 devices in the new building with the test build.

Guess what? Everything loving blew up.

Ugghh I used to have a client that would make stupid changes/upgrades on the fly and this reminded me of it. A couple notable changes:

- Wanted to upgrade their site Macs to El Capitan because a piece of software they use was "supposed" to be more compatible. On site idiot upgraded 8 Macs (instead of, y'know, 1 or 2 to test), hosed all of them to the point of not being usable. Our techs had to take a backup of a working Mac and restore using USB hard drives, eating up half a day of work in the process. Said idiot then had the gall to bitch that we charged him for fixing what he hosed up because he's about 3 hairs and a chromosome from being a retarded monkey.

- Wanted to upgrade ALL their desktop Windows PCs and laptops to Windows 10 literally the week it came out. He went through and upgraded 3 of each model and forgot to turn off the security software that resets the drive to a "clean" state at every reboot. Upgrade couldn't proceed due to OS files being locked down, whole upgrade process hoses about 15 machines. Cue doing the same thing as we did for the Macs, eating up a day and a half. This time he knew better than to bitch about the bill, but boy howdy did his manager piss and moan (until we explained what happened).

- Didn't tell us when their ISP got bought out by another ISP in the area. We only found out because their network went down (bad node) and calling the ISP we had on file got us nowhere. Had to call idiot's manager on site to get the info because idiot got all the paperwork in writing 4 months before the network outage happened and didn't tell us.

Idiot is still there and his manager hired another moron with supposed "tier 1" level experience. Moron will ask us stupid questions about how to set things up that he should already know, like local accounts on a Windows PC or connecting a network printer. Same moron called us at one point because a micro PC wouldn't boot up - when I asked about any errors:

:v: There's an error about an adapter being unplugged or not the right type
:geno: ...Did you check to make sure it was plugged in and had the proper adapter?
:v: *looks at PC* OH, the AC adapter was loose, I plugged it in and it's OK now!

:suicide:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 12, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dinkus of an HR Person posted:

Hi Robert – For the xxxxxxx application; we have been asked to define the acronym “ERP”. I know I have asked the IT before but forgot to write it down.

Please advise……thanks!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.e-roleplay.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That reminds me that one of our components is the Application Synchronization Scheduler.

It's fun to read the documentation sometimes.