Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Sounds like GBM wasn't the shotcaller in Jin Air which makes sense (It was probably Chaser) and the difference between NA and Korea infrastructure (How people practice and what they contribute) was too different and he couldn't adjust and just got frustrated. I don't blame him but it's the rhetorical question brought up as to why Korean players at the top of their game can go to another region and sink to mid-level. It's not because they've gotten a whole lot worse

If you're building a team with Koreans in it, you should probably try out at least one in a main shotcaller position or have a strong shotcaller on the team already. You can't just import random players willy nilly and expect them to smash NA talent, there's so many more pieces to the puzzle. The best example would have been the Huni/Reignover version of FNatic where Reignover spoke english well enough and shared shotcalling duties with Yellowstar. A bad example is importing Ninja and Emporer and neither of them being shotcallers

e: Mancloud came in to confirm what GBM said about the team owner was true and that he would randomly sign players without asking anyone else on the team and speculated that NRG's roster wasn't meant to win anything, he just wanted to build a brand so he brought in former Dignitas/Liquid/TSM players along with GBM who was known for being charasmatic in Korea with no intention of really trying to push the team into winning. Mancloud also said that the owner contacted him two horus before roster deadline to attempt and sign him and replace GBM and was going to bring in a different Korean top laner to replace Quas too.

GBM went on to clarify the difference between Korea challenger and NA challenger is that if you're on top of the ladder in Korea, you're seen as one of the very best players in the world (Like Apdo or Smeb) but in NA you can reach the top of NA ladder and nobody even knows who you are and you're not that special because it's not hard in NA, it's just a grind.

Mancloud went on to say that he thinks maybe the amount of money NRG paid GBM inflated his ego into thinking he was much better than anyone else around despite having some of the lowest scoring mid-lane stats

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really care if these are actual reasons why he lost, the important thing is hilarious gossip. Say something mean about Doublelift and start a feud or something if you want me to listen to how it's your team's fault you got smashed by froggen. :allears:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

CoreJJ performed fine as an ADC, he was on a team with Shiphtur and loving Azingy though lol

Azingy was good and I'm not walking back on that one.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Sexpansion posted:

Azingy was good and I'm not walking back on that one.

*slingshots back into my jungle*

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

*slingshots back into my jungle*

They were a better team when he was playing! And he was not at all bad.

e:

his stats are completely meaningless because he played so little but they were good so I'll put them here anyway

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 12, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the AP runes vi was an honorable attempt at winning in a losing situation. i think they paused it for a remake and the other team probably figured out he had AP runes before they even got vision of him

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
He was certainly better than Helios, a classic Korean-in-NA sandbag job if I've ever seen one.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
So, Gamsu is an overwatch pro now? I had no idea. Apparently he's the #1 player on the Korean ladder.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
https://twitter.com/leagueofemily/status/786294370341232640

?!?!?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
note: mouse died on the way back to his home planet

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Firebert posted:

note: mouse died on the way back to his home planet

This absolutely feels like him being forced out at gunpoint. Poor guy. Does that mean they'll be playing with their original roster + Pawn, then? Who's going top?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Apparently, being an emergency, they can bring in an extra sub so they're playing koro. http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/edg-worlds-roster-update

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/edg-worlds-roster-update

e: Koro will probably be a lot better.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Chinese triads working magic.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Flappy Bert posted:

Apparently, being an emergency, they can bring in an extra sub so they're playing koro. http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/articles/edg-worlds-roster-update

Koro will definitely be an upgrade. Still, the whole thing sounds fishy to me, but I imagine Riot's not really going to spend a huge amount of time and resources trying to look into it.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im not so sure about koro being better, do you guys think they're playing mouse as a funny prank or what

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Koro hasn't played a professional game in what, a year since last worlds? I agree that it's better to see how he is than let mouse get smashed by smeb but I'm not counting on anything special.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ah yes, the classic "play a guy all season but then decide at worlds you'd rather substitute him for someone who hasn't played in a year" scam.

there is zero chance this is hoax in order for them to play a dude worse than mouse.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah this sounds like a family member died

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Koro spent 1 year training in Kami's hyperbolic time chamber in an environment that has ten times Earth's gravity and now he has emerged...

I haven't felt power like this since...

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Savage Cracker posted:

Yeah this sounds like a family member died

It is literally what it says, yeah. Makes 0 sense for them to fake something like this so they can swap in an underperforming out of practice player.

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 12, 2016

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Fusion Restaurant posted:

It is literally what it says, yeah. Makes 0 sense for them to fake something like this so they can swap in an underperforming out of practice player.

OK to be fair I didn't read riots update just translated updates from EDG

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Radical posted:

im not so sure about koro being better, do you guys think they're playing mouse as a funny prank or what

Yes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Have any of the teams that imploded during groups exploded after worlds yet or is everyone happy enough that they made it there that it's no biggy?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

which teams imploded during groups

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

rabidsquid posted:

which teams imploded during groups

G2 is the only one I can think of that could even vaguely be described as imploding without stretching the word to just mean "did not advance from groups".

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I don't think any of them need you to defend their honor I was just curious if there was any e-drama in the aftermath.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

sorry i asked

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Too soon for the offseason they all got Overwatch to play

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

thelazyblank posted:

G2 is the only one I can think of that could even vaguely be described as imploding without stretching the word to just mean "did not advance from groups".

Even though a lot of people predicted it I'd say Flash Wolves finishing last in their group even though they were a #1 seed is imploding. Especially considering the fact that they're one of the few teams in the world that reliably takes games off of SKT and they somehow lost against IMay even though IMay had to two people playing off role.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I had Flash Wolves as #2 in their group for my pick 'em but I assumed that they were playing Steak so that's on me

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
apparently dyrus is dropping the donezo manifesto tonight and I think its mainly regarding thorin but idk

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
He's already said he would drop it like 4 times now and decides not to. If all he's going to do is complain about Thorin its not worth reading

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Flappy Bert posted:

Koro hasn't played a professional game in what, a year since last worlds? I agree that it's better to see how he is than let mouse get smashed by smeb but I'm not counting on anything special.

He played in the Spring 2016 Split for EDG which ended less than six months ago.

He was real good at Poppy, Trundle, Ekko, Gnar, etc. and those are all still meta champions whose build/playstyle/strategy is largely unchanged.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

He's already said he would drop it like 4 times now and decides not to. If all he's going to do is complain about Thorin its not worth reading

Well, he did, although it's less a donezo manifesto and more a, "I watched some of Thorin and it was okay. You can not like him if you want, I guess."

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It's not even drama anymore Dyrus come on, man

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Dyrus is a black hole of charisma to the point where Beyond the Rift was made worse for having him there.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I kinda feel like being uncharismatic is kinda his charm. Remember one of the first things people talked about with him was his dumb pillow- he's always been kinda low energy and flat sounding on average. Nerds like other unsocial people I guess.

Pr0lly is still the best, though. Remember when he called out reddit for doubting him after complexity got into LCS? :allears:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Never forget the time dyrus slept before a game against curse I think

As in, literally on stage took a nap waiting for the game to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

Never forget the time dyrus slept before a game against curse I think

As in, literally on stage took a nap waiting for the game to start
But Ryu does this every game

• Locked thread