Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

So, again, you don't actually give a poo poo about your supposed principals, you just want to pretend that you do.

Actually no, I'm enough of a realist to be willing to compromise my vote to get what I want but Hillary's not offering enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Actually no, I'm enough of a realist to be willing to compromise my vote to get what I want but Hillary's not offering enough.

Oh my god, you're the worst.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Again, with Hunter Biden taking a board seat of a major Ukranian gas company, it's hard to believe the US/EU had no sort of agreements with the groups that were pushing the social movements in Ukraine. Again, not saying it's a bad thing in of itself, but it's hard to look at the situation now and say we did anything to help. What exactly did we gain by attempting to enforce the borders of a country where a sizable portion of the population that got annexed was happier to be part of Russia anyways.
Of course there are people who stood to benefit from Ukraine ridding itself of Russian influence, who saw Maidan as a chance to move in. That doesn't mean the opposition to Russian influence wasn't a popular thing. Also, you seem to be happily ignoring the ethnic cleansing the Russians started carrying out the moment they took over Crimea. Also, letting Russia get away with annexing territory because it's inhabited by Russians, like that's the right thing to do, ignores that Russians being all over the place in Eastern Europe is due to a deliberate policy of internal colonization within the Russian Empire (Tsarist and Communist.)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Oh my god, you're the worst.

I'll take that as "you're right and it's hurting my brain to accept it"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Of course there are people who stood to benefit from Ukraine ridding itself of Russian influence, who saw Maidan as a chance to move in. That doesn't mean the opposition to Russian influence wasn't a popular thing. Also, you seem to be happily ignoring the ethnic cleansing the Russians started carrying out the moment they took over Crimea.

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm saying that none of the actions we have taken have done anything good and there probably was no better answer. I don't even think the US hosed up Ukraine or is responsible for much of it at all. I was asked about that particular situation and my answer is it sucks but military intervention wouldn't have made things any better and things are hosed to hell anyways so it's hard to argue that Maidan did more good than harm in the long run. The fact that the son of the vice president is on the board of one of the major energy companies is a very bad look for the US.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
USSR, Tsarist Russia, it's all the same am I right guys? Just bears and vodka and Bond villains, the Evil Empire just like Raegan said. I am a progressive.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

I'll take that as "you're right and it's hurting my brain to accept it"

Take it however you want, I'm glad you've exposed yourself as being completely terrible.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

You aren't compromising, though. You're just pretending to compromise while actually doing nothing at all except patting yourself on the back as hard as possible. What's the point of doing something so useless? Besides to jerk yourself off, I mean.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Who What Now posted:

You aren't compromising, though. You're just pretending to compromise while actually doing nothing at all except patting yourself on the back as hard as possible. What's the point of doing something so useless? Besides to jerk yourself off, I mean.
Is there any situation where not compromising is a valid option? Like if I walk up to and ask for your wallet will you be willing to compromise down to only half your cash? I understand arguing that Clinton has compromised enough, and that your priorities are out of whack if you believe otherwise, but I don't understand insisting someone compromise on a thing they don't want to compromise on.

twodot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 12, 2016

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Main Paineframe posted:

Have you paid any attention at all to the last eight years? Obama has had a tough time because in a lot of situations, the president needs the support of a majority of Congress to enact their policies - and that means having the support of conservatives. It's absolutely indisputable that Hillary is going to be better at building consensus and gathering support for leftist policies than Bernie would. There's a reason I compared her to LBJ.

Because if there's anyone who could get the Republicans to cross the aisle and cooperate with the Democrats, it'd be the woman who they've spent the past 24 years building up as the singular personification of everything that they hate about us.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Bob le Moche posted:

USSR, Tsarist Russia, it's all the same am I right guys? Just bears and vodka and Bond villains, the Evil Empire just like Raegan said. I am a progressive.
Both were Russian supremacist empires. Reagan wasn't wrong in calling them the Evil Empire (though they were less so by that point), but I'm pretty sure he only called them out because they leaned left economically.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Again, I voted for Obama in 2008 despite being a cynical leftist due to his rhetoric, which I do believe, despite his lack of action, has pushed a lot of Democrats to the left. My bar really isn't that high.

It's sad that "Don't attempt to incite world war 3" is now a deal breaker not worth having.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

It's sad that "Don't attempt to incite world war 3" is now a deal breaker not worth having.
Standing up to Russia is actually the opposite, as it ensures they won't get the idea that they can actually pull a Ukraine on EU members.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Standing up to Russia is actually the opposite, as it ensures they won't get the idea that they can actually pull a Ukraine on EU members.

Standing up to Putin (who here rhetoric should be directed at, no reason to fuel the propaganda machine) is a fine goal. Saying that Russian aggression is the cause of the problems we see today in Syria is so dumb I can only assume that's a line she has to say in order to ensure those sweet sweet defense contractor dollars keep rolling in.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think this thread has a little too much "This policy doesn't lead to the effects you think it does because X" and not enough "Wanting this policy doesn't justify voting third party because Y". Like maybe NewForumSoftware is wrong about this particular thing, and maybe you can convince them they are wrong about this particular thing, but it doesn't really say anything about how people should vote in an election, and there aren't objective answers to this anyways so you probably can't convince them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

You have no earthly idea what would incite WWIII. The only thing worse than a single issue voter is one that doesn't actually know anything about their issue.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

You have no earthly idea what would incite WWIII. The only thing worse than a single issue voter is one that doesn't actually know anything about their issue.

I don't know, if you want to use this thread to interrogate me about every international conflict (and keep doing so after I answer them all) or every policy position I have, trust me, you will find holes. I'm human. I have hypocrisies(is that a word?), I'm not perfect, I don't claim to be. I have one small personal decision I've made about a vote that everyone in this thread can agree doesn't matter. So why is everyone so angry?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bob le Moche posted:

The Soviet Union was very bad at times, especially with certain Premieres.

The United States was very bad at times, especially with certain administrations.

Tzarist Russia was a near-feudal state that treated most of the populace as disposable fodder.

Most nations are pretty loving terrible at multiple points in their history.

Edit: vvvv You really don't want to think about how many people are in favor of that.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 12, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Who What Now posted:

Can we all agree that everyone (edit^^^: all reasonable people I care to have a conversation with) is a single issue voter on the topic of "Starting WWIII"? Given that, all you've said here is "I disagree with your predictions of the future" and not "Your predictions of the future fail to justify your voting strategy".
edit:

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't know, if you want to use this thread to interrogate me about every international conflict (and keep doing so after I answer them all) or every policy position I have, trust me, you will find holes.
Yeah this. Maybe you can convince me that forums poster NewForumSoftware is dumb, but doing that won't convince me that their voting strategy is unreasonable given their understanding of reality.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

twodot posted:

I think this thread has a little too much "This policy doesn't lead to the effects you think it does because X" and not enough "Wanting this policy doesn't justify voting third party because Y". Like maybe NewForumSoftware is wrong about this particular thing, and maybe you can convince them they are wrong about this particular thing, but it doesn't really say anything about how people should vote in an election, and there aren't objective answers to this anyways so you probably can't convince them.
I was just trying to figure out where NewForumSoftware stood on the topic of Russia, because that's a pretty good indicator of where he/she would be coming from in regards to their position on Hillary vis-a-vis foreign policy. I mean, a lot of Western left-wing defenders of Putin basically seem to treat him as an anti-establishment figure because he stands up to the US. If that's where you are politically, I can see why you'd never vote for Hillary.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was just trying to figure out where NewForumSoftware stood on the topic of Russia, because that's a pretty good indicator of where he/she would be coming from in regards to their position on Hillary vis-a-vis foreign policy. I mean, a lot of Western left-wing defenders of Putin basically seem to treat him as an anti-establishment figure because he stands up to the US. If that's where you are politically, I can see why you'd never vote for Hillary.

I don't like Putin in the same way I don't like Assad or Saddam. The sad truth is we've seen now with Iraq what happens when you create a power void in a place with no realistic plans to replace it with something sustainable. We need to focus on methods other than warfare to enact political change around the world, even when it gets really bad and we don't like it. The time for war is when we are attacked by a nation state on our own soil.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't know, if you want to use this thread to interrogate me about every international conflict (and keep doing so after I answer them all) or every policy position I have, trust me, you will find holes. I'm human. I have hypocrisies(is that a word?), I'm not perfect, I don't claim to be. I have one small personal decision I've made about a vote that everyone in this thread can agree doesn't matter. So why is everyone so angry?

Because outrage is cheaper than heroin.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't like Putin in the same way I don't like Assad or Saddam. The sad truth is we've seen now with Iraq what happens when you create a power void in a place with no realistic plans to replace it with something sustainable. We need to focus on methods other than warfare to enact political change around the world, even when it gets really bad and we don't like it. The time for war is when we are attacked by a nation state on our own soil.
For what it's worth, I don't really disagree with the thrust of this. (except for the apparent desire to drop out of NATO.)

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

For what it's worth, I don't really disagree with the thrust of this. (except for the apparent desire to drop out of NATO.)

I don't have a desire to drop out of NATO. What I have is a desire for the US to stop acting unilaterally overseas with military action(which honestly has gotten way better) and for politicians to stop using the kinds of rhetoric that allow for these conflicts to take place in the first place.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

When has America enacted positive political change (post WWII)? If America has never enacted positive political change (post WWII), then I think you need to reexamine your fundamental premises.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rated PG-34 posted:

When has America enacted positive political change (post WWII)? If America has never enacted positive political change (post WWII), then I think you need to reexamine your fundamental premises.

Trust me you don't have to convince me to be more cynical. It's way too easy to just throw your arms up and give up. I do believe there is good we can do in the world without dropping bombs. Foreign aid should be increased across the board. We should start providing things like sexual education (not abstinence you loving idiot republicans) and contraception across the world. We can improve the world by holding domestic firms to higher standards of environmental treatment by improving the standards on what we're willing to import. There are tons of ways to influence international politics that don't involve munitions.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Bob le Moche posted:

Like for example the entire world celebrates International Workers' Day on May First, which commemorates an event in US history, whereas many Americans don't even know about it.
Well that's a load of old rubbish. May Day pre-dates Christianity, let alone a country that didn't even exist 250 years ago.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Flayer posted:

Well that's a load of old rubbish. May Day pre-dates Christianity, let alone a country that didn't even exist 250 years ago.

Yes and Christmas isn't really about Jesus, it's truly a pagan holiday. You're so smart.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Both were Russian supremacist empires.

Not exactly accurate, I'm afraid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korenizatsiya

Bob le Moche fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 12, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't have a desire to drop out of NATO. What I have is a desire for the US to stop acting unilaterally overseas with military action(which honestly has gotten way better) and for politicians to stop using the kinds of rhetoric that allow for these conflicts to take place in the first place.
Okay, the last sentence of that post made it seem like you did.

Yes, there was a brief period where things improved, which was of course followed by the Holodomor.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 12, 2016

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Trust me you don't have to convince me to be more cynical. It's way too easy to just throw your arms up and give up. I do believe there is good we can do in the world without dropping bombs. Foreign aid should be increased across the board. We should start providing things like sexual education (not abstinence you loving idiot republicans) and contraception across the world. We can improve the world by holding domestic firms to higher standards of environmental treatment by improving the standards on what we're willing to import. There are tons of ways to influence international politics that don't involve munitions.

There's no question that there's room for a country such as America to be a force for good in the world. I just disagree with the premise that America attempts to be a force for good while being somehow misguided, seeing as how America has almost unequivocally not been a force for good in the world throughout history (post WWII). The more pertinent question is how can America do less bad poo poo in the world.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rated PG-34 posted:

I just disagree with the premise that America attempts to be a force for good while being somehow misguided

I will agree that it isn't reality, but I do think that's the reason people vote for warhawk politicians. The premise that America should be a force for good is the (publicly justifiable) basis for most of the military intervention we see today. The fact that it's a backdoor bailout to defense firms at the cost of innocent lives is sadly not something you're going to convince the population of. But I think you could realistically get a majority of Americans to agree that we should be less willing to use the military to achieve political objectives.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gtrmp posted:

Because if there's anyone who could get the Republicans to cross the aisle and cooperate with the Democrats, it'd be the woman who they've spent the past 24 years building up as the singular personification of everything that they hate about us.

Hillary's experience and connections in Congress, including previous major failures which she's made sure to learn from, do in fact position her better to win over the support of moderate Republicans than the current president and Bernie Sanders, both of whom are similarly hated by the right but lack the political chops necessary to slip around that.

Rated PG-34 posted:

There's no question that there's room for a country such as America to be a force for good in the world. I just disagree with the premise that America attempts to be a force for good while being somehow misguided, seeing as how America has almost unequivocally not been a force for good in the world throughout history (post WWII). The more pertinent question is how can America do less bad poo poo in the world.

Bad poo poo is going to happen in the world regardless, and the only question is whether we want to be complicit in it by action or by inaction. Are American drone strikes worse than, say, the Assad regime using chemical weapons in civilian areas?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Main Paineframe posted:

Bad poo poo is going to happen in the world regardless, and the only question is whether we want to be complicit in it by action or by inaction. Are American drone strikes worse than, say, the Assad regime using chemical weapons in civilian areas?

Considering American drone strikes are a big reason that the Assad regime was forced to use chemical weapons in civilian areas... I'm going to say yes. Only in this case because it directly led to the other.

Main Paineframe posted:

Hillary's experience and connections in Congress, including previous major failures which she's made sure to learn from, do in fact position her better to win over the support of moderate Republicans than the current president and Bernie Sanders, both of whom are similarly hated by the right but lack the political chops necessary to slip around that.

Would you care to provide a shred of evidence that the right hates Bernie as much as Hillary?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

I will agree that it isn't reality, but I do think that's the reason people vote for warhawk politicians.

I am not voting for a warhawk politician, I'm voting for Hillary Clinton.

Donald "bomb the poo poo out of them" and "take the oil" Trump is the warhawk politician I am voting against.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I am not voting for a warhawk politician, I'm voting for Hillary Clinton.

Donald "bomb the poo poo out of them" and "take the oil" Trump is the warhawk politician I am voting against.

The fact that political discourse is so bad here that both choices are warhawks doesn't mean Hillary isn't one. How you can categorize her statements during the second debate as anything but is beyond me.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

I will agree that it isn't reality, but I do think that's the reason people vote for warhawk politicians. The premise that America should be a force for good is the (publicly justifiable) basis for most of the military intervention we see today. The fact that it's a backdoor bailout to defense firms at the cost of innocent lives is sadly not something you're going to convince the population of. But I think you could realistically get a majority of Americans to agree that we should be less willing to use the military to achieve political objectives.

Right, but once we ask the question of how can America be less bad, we come up with a wide range of more interesting foreign policies that would have an immediate positive on the world. Stop interfering in foreign government affairs. Stop the War on Drugs. Stop drone strikes. Stop military aid to lovely regimes like Israel, Saudi Arabia, etc.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

The problem is not that bad poo poo happens and whether America is complicit in inaction, but more so that bad poo poo happens and America is responsible either directly or indirectly.

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 12, 2016

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

NewForumSoftware posted:

I think the idea that reinforcing Assad could lead to less bloodshed in Syria makes a hell of a lot more sense than any plan the US has put forth.

Also, allying with Iran was a very smart move and something the US simply cannot do (another reason we should allow our allies to fight their own regional conflicts, we can support them just fine without putting American troops half way across the world.

Backing the Lion Assad: Making the best of a bad situation.

Backing the Lyin' Hillary: A step too far my friends.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Yak of Wrath posted:

Backing the Lion Assad: Making the best of a bad situation.

Backing the Lyin' Hillary: A step too far my friends.

Civilian death is cool and good so long as I don't have to personally feel bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And thus we come full circle:

SSNeoman posted:

When you make a vote for third party to be "be in line with your morals", you are doing this to soothe yourself and nobody appreciates or cares. It's an inherently selfish action which is justified to nobody but yourself.

im sorry for making people vote 4 dat gary, endorph but this is what 3rd p voters look like and its lol af

• Locked thread