Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

They're semi-mystical laser swords; why do they need to have color restrictions?

Like I said, it's a weird nitpick. I think it's a consistency thing. It's also the backstory behind it: Green so that it contrasted better against the blue sky which means it was going to be Blue at first.

Luke's Jedi saber handle is also nearly identical to Obi-Wan's (which is Blue). The green color isn't remarked upon at all by anyone despite it being completely new to the Star Wars movies.

Plus, colors also have meaning in the movies. The bad guys are colorless while the good guys inhabit worlds full of colors. The good guy spaceships shoot red, the bad guys shoot green. There's that consistency in how things look and what they represent.

Again, it's irrational and I know it.

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like "villains only have red sabers" is something that only developed in the prequel era. I remember Tales of the Jedi had villains using blue lightsabers, and in that Bantam novel where Leia fights the Hutt Dark Jedi, I think he uses a yellow lightsaber.

My point was more that showing more than red or blue gave permission for bad writers to go proliferate the whole rainbow. Not that they wouldn't have anyway.

But the prequels didn't go beyond blue/green (with one notable exception) so if Luke's Jedi saber was Blue, the prequels probably would've gone all Blue too.

Edit:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

...but there isn't a "proliferation of colors" in the movies? Unless you're counting the various shades of blue and green that we see in the prequels? The only distinctly different color we get after Jedi is Mace Windu's purple saber, and that's only because Sam Jackson wanted to stand out in the sea of blue and green sabers in AOTC.

By proliferation, I meant in the EU mostly.

But with Jackson, if we'd only ever seen blue, it's likely he would've gotten blue too. He may have still gotten a purple anyway and my irrational nitpick would still likely cause it to bug me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And if you really want to get into it, Luke's green saber is another element of his maturity post-ESB. He's no longer just Obi-Wan's pupil and he's coming to terms with who his father is. He's his own man now, and the green saber reflects that.

This is all true and I like that imagery/metaphor. However, the prequels use of green then diminishes Luke's saber. Now it's just another standard saber instead of representing Luke's break with his former master. If the prequels were all blue, then it'd retain its symbolism of Luke's new way forward.

I'm still bothered by the fact that it was changed to green for technical reasons, not storytelling reasons.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Dark Forces: Jedi Knight had orange, yellow, and purple sabers well before the prequels. They're not canon, but they were in the cutscenes and storyline, not just as MP options.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Luke's Jedi saber handle is also nearly identical to Obi-Wan's (which is Blue). The green color isn't remarked upon at all by anyone despite it being completely new to the Star Wars movies.

Vader comments on it when Luke surrenders himself in ROTJ. He recognizes that it means Luke has grown up and finished his training.

Thwomp posted:

Plus, colors also have meaning in the movies. The bad guys are colorless while the good guys inhabit worlds full of colors. The good guy spaceships shoot red, the bad guys shoot green. There's that consistency in how things look and what they represent.

I'm still bothered by the fact that it was changed to green for technical reasons, not storytelling reasons.

While I agree that having the full rainbow of lightsaber colors is ridiculous, and I don't like how standardized the Prequels made the Jedi, Luke breaking away from the red/blue dichotomy has a lot of thematic weight(even if it's unintentional) since he became a Jedi, but specifically rejected the teachings of Obi-Wan and Yoda for forsake his feelings and his friends.

As an aside, I wonder if they will have Luke take up his father's lightsaber again, pass it on to Rey and keep his ROTJ one, or if he will have a new saber built in the last 30 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tell me how you feel about blue blaster bolts

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Canemacar posted:

Vader comments on it when Luke surrenders himself in ROTJ. He recognizes that it means Luke has grown up and finished his training.

My point was that Vader doesn't comment on the color. Only that, as you said, Luke's construction of his own lightsaber means he's fully trained.

Canemacar posted:

As an aside, I wonder if they will have Luke take up his father's lightsaber again, pass it on to Rey and keep his ROTJ one, or if he will have a new saber built in the last 30 years.

I assume this will depend on if Rey is related to Luke. If so, then it could be a symbol of the family/line that Rey could choose to accept or reject.

I always forget that Luke still had his saber at the end of Jedi. He throws it away but we only see it again at the celebration at the end attached to his belt. It isn't visible at the end of TFA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd say force awakens falls apart story wise after the attack on maz's cantina. That is where the problems in the film are compounded by the lack of context for the greater scene of the galaxy, and a small personal story of Finn and Rey gets thrust into a bigger plot that is half baked.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I'm hoping that instead of just inheriting Anakin's lightsaber Rey gets her own, preferably one that isn't a standard sword since she already has a different weapon she is skilled with and it would be neat to have something different for a lead Jedi. Since the gap of time between movies has always been at least a year I can see her being far enough in her training to make a new one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Thwomp posted:

I always forget that Luke still had his saber at the end of Jedi. He throws it away but we only see it again at the celebration at the end attached to his belt. It isn't visible at the end of TFA.

I believe that one of the Visual Dictionaries or something shows it at the belt of the costume from the end of TFA, so they at least consciously were including it, even if it ended up not being visible in the film itself.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I'm hoping that instead of just inheriting Anakin's lightsaber Rey gets her own, preferably one that isn't a standard sword since she already has a different weapon she is skilled with and it would be neat to have something different for a lead Jedi. Since the gap of time between movies has always been at least a year I can see her being far enough in her training to make a new one.

The next one starts right where TFA left off, with Rey holding out the saber and everything.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Zoran posted:

The next one starts right where TFA left off, with Rey holding out the saber and everything.

This is still the weirdest thing to me. How do you even do the opening crawl? The only thing it could cover (without being a TFA recap) is what Ren & Co were up to in the day/week/month (?) between Starkiller exploding and Rey finding Luke.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is still the weirdest thing to me. How do you even do the opening crawl? The only thing it could cover (without being a TFA recap) is what Ren & Co were up to in the day/week/month (?) between Starkiller exploding and Rey finding Luke.

That's my guess. The crawl's gonna reiterate the last plot beats of VII "Starkiller Base is destroyed, Kylo Ben and Finn are both injured, Snoke wants Rey brought to him, Luke has been found at last", and possibly set up a bit of what the First Order is up to now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like "villains only have red sabers" is something that only developed in the prequel era. I remember Tales of the Jedi had villains using blue lightsabers, and in that Bantam novel where Leia fights the Hutt Dark Jedi, I think he uses a yellow lightsaber.

It wasn't even until Episode II that that rule was properly established - the comics Dark Horse did between TPM and AOTC had Jedi using lightsabres in every colour of the rainbow. For example, in the Acts of War miniseries, Qui-Gon's was green, Obi-Wan and Mace Windu were blue, Saesee Tiin had purple, Ki-Aid-Mundi had a sort of lilac one, Adi Gallia had red, Plo Koon had orange and Micah Giiett had yellow.

I remember there was also this weird sort of stigma about showing Yoda's lightsabre. He'd have one in dubiously canon stories (like the Star Wars Tales one where he fights the Bpfaashi Dark Jedi in his youth) but before Episode II, they seemed to go out of their way to show him with one.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I think it might be interesting if Rey ended up with a staff saber. It'd be in line with the weapon she already has, and it'd be an opportunity for someone to have one who doesn't look like they were designed by an edgy 14-year-old.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

jivjov posted:

Yeah...I hate the whole "Its just a remake!!!" handwringing, but they definitely played it safe and kept things really familiar for the relaunch of the franchise. I'm hoping Episode VIII really establishes its own identity a little better, but I think it was Adam Driver who said in an interview that VIII "Feels so much like Empire Strikes Back" that I'm a bit worried.

If it helps, he clarified later that he meant the new movie will feel tonally and narratively different from TFA the same way ESB feels different from ANH - not that they were copying Empire Strikes Back.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Tumblr of scotch posted:

I think it might be interesting if Rey ended up with a staff saber. It'd be in line with the weapon she already has, and it'd be an opportunity for someone to have one who doesn't look like they were designed by an edgy 14-year-old.

I'd agree. We havent had a heroic character using one yet in the movies. Or perhaps they'll come up with a new saber design after the success of Kylo Ren's.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has anyone started reading Ahsoka yet? I didn't preorder and now Amazon is out of stock.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Canemacar posted:

I'd agree. We havent had a heroic character using one yet in the movies. Or perhaps they'll come up with a new saber design after the success of Kylo Ren's.

TOR's saber-spears have been proving rather popular (polearm with a saber blade on one end that can be used two-handed like a halberd or glaive, or one-handed with a shield), so Rey could end up with one in that style. Would certainly be unique in the movies to date.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

New Rogue One trailer!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:eyepop: need gifs!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

:eyepop: need gifs!!

Yeah, I need that bit of X-Wings flying around to play on loop for the next 2 months

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rogue One releases on my birthday. :D

Which is the day before an exam. :(

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is going to be the best sci-fi movie Forest Whitaker's done since Battlefield Earth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I never thought I'd be so excited to see a "steal the Death Star plans" movie, but here we are. :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kind of cool, except for every line with the words "Rebellion" or "Rebel" being cringeworthy. So almost every line.

jivjov posted:

Yeah...I hate the whole "Its just a remake!!!" handwringing, but they definitely played it safe and kept things really familiar for the relaunch of the franchise. I'm hoping Episode VIII really establishes its own identity a little better, but I think it was Adam Driver who said in an interview that VIII "Feels so much like Empire Strikes Back" that I'm a bit worried.

It's not that it's a remake, it's a bad remake of a movie that wasn't even in need of or deserving of a remake.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 13, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Except it's a sequel, not a remake.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

In my opinion, Star Wars Episode 7 was a sequel to Star Wars Episode 6.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. It's extremely weird. The ending shot in particular was odd and very not-Star Warsy.

I almost kinda feel like the sequel trilogy actually has to be a tetralogy to make up for all that was missing in TFA. And it felt like there was a lot missing. Like, it felt like it was Episode VIII and we skipped a (more interesting) movie on the way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

punchymcpunch posted:

In my opinion, Star Wars Episode 7 was a sequel to Star Wars Episode 6.

Episode 7 featured an orphan and a smartass teaming up to destroy a big weapon, so I think you'll find that it's actually a remake of 4. This is an entirely objective analysis, not at all influenced by a desire to be edgy.

:rolleyes:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well at least it didn't have Jar-Jar this time around.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Episode 7 featured an orphan and a smartass teaming up to destroy a big weapon, so I think you'll find that it's actually a remake of 4. This is an entirely objective analysis, not at all influenced by a desire to be edgy.

:rolleyes:

That's not edgy at all. To be truly edgy is to point out that Rogue One seems to be based on a rather severe misreading of Star Wars: it's based on the idea that the Rebels represent the innate spirit of man against tyranny and oppression. The edgy truth is of course that the Rebels, like all heroes of Star Wars, are ultimately only end up reestablishing the conditions for their failure. The Republic will always fall, the Empire will always rise, and the Republic will return, etc etc. There's always going to be an Anakin, there's always going to be an Emperor, the Jedi are always going to be doomed.

The Rebels are expressly led by senatorial elites who want to restore the Old Republic, i.e. recover their power from the Emperor. Which is why the trailer's emphasis on the Rebellion as true discontents is so off-putting.

Of course I could be wrong, and the movie is about the Rebels being dunces.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 13, 2016

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

So you're saying Star Wars is the Matrix movies, got it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Wars is actually about how fascism is better and multiculturalism and freedom are bad.

Luke is, obviously, not the hero. He's a corrupted youth who we see fall further and further. Look at who he hangs out with? A crude smuggler. And his first real relationship? Making out with his sister. His 'mentor' is a crazy old man who kidnapped him from his family and tried to turn him into a weapon to murder his own father. Leia? Look at her. She's a monster. Killing people fearlessly from a young age, instantly befriends horrifying cannibal aliens, hooks up with said crude smuggler.

The real hero was the Emperor who was trying to bring a chaotic galaxy under control. The "rebels" were fighting to return a decaying and failed state, as we see in TFU where their attempts were shown to be flawed and worthless. What happened to Leia? She went back to running a rebellion. Luke? Complete failure. Han? loving dead.

The real hero of TFU is Kylo Ren and we see his struggle and the difficult path he has to take rejecting false happiness and false freedom in favor of the harsh reality of the world. His tragic defeat at the end is a signal that this will be a much darker trilogy. By the end the Empire will be truly defeated and in doing so the galaxy will descend into an eternal spiral of failure. Forever.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Let's not turn this into the CineD thread thanks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who let bravest of the lamps into the thread? It's bad enough having him drag his rear end around the Internet critic thread

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Who let bravest of the lamps into the thread? It's bad enough having him drag his rear end around the Internet critic thread

I come to The Book Barn all the time, I even took over have my own thread :v:

e:

Tumblr of scotch posted:

So you're saying Star Wars is the Matrix movies, got it

I'm saying Star Wars is Gundam.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 13, 2016

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Rogue one trailer owns. On a completely different tangent, did we ever find out Dookus first name. I'm running a Star Wars force and destiny campaign and realized that I had no idea what his name was.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

It's Count

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Duke Countu

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Not enough adults/old generation is stupid to be Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I come to The Book Barn all the time, I even took over have my own thread :v:'

e:

Which part of the EU is G Gundam? Asking for a friend.