Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It has horns!

Also.. you have a WA plate on the front..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah I should probably take that off. Bus came with WA plates, and I keep forgetting about it.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Also, messing with zoom and distance. Much better images further away, but zoomed in.

It all depends on what you're going for. I'm so used to my nifty-fifty, I get so confused by my kit lens. I tend to like the more open aperture of being zoomed out though. Also just depends on conditions.

Looks good!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:circlefap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PmJTZFU64

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

That is nice, but I prefer yours :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
D'aww :kimchi:

Maybe it's how you always want something you don't have. Plus, how after working on a project for a few dozen or hundred hours, you get sick of it. I've almost sold the bus a few times to legitimate offers thus far, but then I think about how I still have a bunch of welding and sheet metal work and reinforcing to do, and I back down.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Did you order that new engine already? Yours is still running, just very tired?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
New engine being built right meow. Old one is super wheezy and leaky, but still drives me around. I swiped a door mat from our old armory, and use it as an oil mat whatever I park, because it leaves a pretty puddle.

$3150 after core and shipping, but with hydraulic valves and upgraded to 2.0L. Core is $600, but I think I can get more than that parting the old engine out, so I only bought one-way shipping.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

New engine being built right meow. Old one is super wheezy and leaky, but still drives me around. I swiped a door mat from our old armory, and use it as an oil mat whatever I park, because it leaves a pretty puddle.

$3150 after core and shipping, but with hydraulic valves and upgraded to 2.0L. Core is $600, but I think I can get more than that parting the old engine out, so I only bought one-way shipping.

I say this every time it comes up but surely the parts to run a Subaru EJ22 aren't nearly that expensive?

I know you'd lose a lot of the air-cooled charm and simplicity but you could trade it for a relative fuckload of horsepower.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I could pick up a 2.2 for around 1100 locally (for a good one) but the mounts and transmission adapter kit, plus metalwork, plus clutch adapter and machined flywheel, plus figuring out cooling (nobody, not one person, has a perfect solution on bay window buses yet), is around five grand.

Also I don't have a shop. I'm going to be doing this in a friend's garage, that's too low to lift the bus in.

I really, really want subaru power, but there's so much else that goes into it that it's not worth the time assembling and cutting and welding. Also modifying the suspension for the higher weight (that I'm already hitting against due to my battery setup).

There are "set and forget" kits that have nearly everything for you, but they cost a poo poo-ton too much for some jigged metal mounts, a wiring harness, and the adapter plate.

Plus with a Subaru engine I'd be daft not to rebuild the transmission. Whereas I can do an apples to apples aircooled swap in two days.

I'm trading time saved now for time and heartache later, and I understand this is the "cheap boots monthly vs expensive boots yearly" situation. But I can't afford the Subaru setup. Not just money, but time.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 12, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

I'm trading time saved now for time and heartache later, and I understand this is the "cheap boots monthly vs expensive boots yearly" situation. But I can't afford the Subaru setup. Not just money, but time.

The Sam Vimes Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness :eng101:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Shine on you crazy diamond

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Dunno what your opinion is of high dollar restorations, but I was wandering through town the other day and happened upon an warehouse that was open and absolutely filled with stuff, including a immaculate 21 window bus that made me think about your bus.

Sorry for the terrible photos, but it was packed in there and was no room to get any kinda good angle. Also didn't wanna linger in case I ran into whatever person owns the place, being a dumbass college kid wandering into an open building filled with very expensive cars :v:

fake edit: http://www.britishsportscars.com/inventory/15180656/1966-Volkswagen-Vanagon/San-Luis-Obispo/British-Sports-Cars Apparently being sold for $90k :eyepop:

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 14, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, about five years ago a split sold at Barrett Jackson for 130k, and since then the market has been hosed. Just, like, turbofucked. Went from 4k for a rolling chassis to 15k for a post-fire heap practically overnight. Check out the The Samba classifieds. I'm not exaggerating. Everyone immediately decided that they had forgotten treasure in their backyard, and nobody told them no.

The people that wanted splits but can't afford them have moved to bay windows. Their prices are rising fast. Parts houses know this: a replacement inner rocker panel was $35 last August. Today, it's $85.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 14, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
gently caress Barrett Jackson.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In the end, I have zero problems with restorations of any type. But this bubble, I fear, is permanent.

That bus I posted a video of a few posts ago? He's already received offers in the $100k range.

Cheap buses are gone, and it's 100% happened in the last 10 years, just like with 911s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

In the end, I have zero problems with restorations of any type. But this bubble, I fear, is permanent.

That bus I posted a video of a few posts ago? He's already received offers in the $100k range.

Cheap buses are gone, and it's 100% happened in the last 10 years, just like with 911s.

The Transporter/Eurovan market is also insane. I saw a Weekender listed in the 30s the other day.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

This. Forever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

scuz posted:

And how.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Driving around with a gigantic exhaust leak

But that's okay, because a package came today!

I think I'll put it on this engine first, to see how it sounds (and to close up that massive leak). Should only take a little bit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You ordered VW exhaust parts from Japan?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Overnight parts from japan!

No but really, it's from Taiwan. The speed shop that makes these stainless exhausts (the only ones I have found for the Type 4 with round ports) is in Taiwan, and all the US and UK resellers actually just drop-ship them straight from the factory. Every single site you buy these from has a "$50 flat shipping fee added for this item" thing because it comes from them.

E: and I've hit roadblock #1: the headers are shorter, so my exhaust fouls on the fan shroud. Hmm.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, definitely made incorrectly:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Those are some mighty pretty welds though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just got an email back from the original shop, looks like I was sent a "type 4 into type 1" header, which is shorter. Shipping back is insane to replace, even though they hosed up. I think I'm going to do a chargeback, then find a welding shop somewhere in Phoenix that can do a 3 inch extension on the muffler itself. Or just do it myself. babby's first real welding project.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Just got an email back from the original shop, looks like I was sent a "type 4 into type 1" header, which is shorter. Shipping back is insane to replace, even though they hosed up. I think I'm going to do a chargeback, then find a welding shop somewhere in Phoenix that can do a 3 inch extension on the muffler itself. Or just do it myself. babby's first real welding project.

Chargeback, then order it again from one of the other middleman companies and have it sent to a friend's house or something so they don't know it's you? I guess maybe you'll get the wrong thing again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It looks like, for $50, I can get 2 sets of exhaust flanges and just build my own 4 inch extensions, and then I'd be able to use any, stock or aftermarket, Type 4 exhaust set in the future. It's six extra bolts and a weekend welding, but even then with raw pipe stock it's still cheaper than re-ordering.

Plus the chargeback because they're being dicks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
:sigh:

I just want to work on it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're shipping the engine tomorrow. Come on, flange plates! I need you!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:sigh:

I just want to work on it.

How loud is it like this?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The loudest

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Problem solved :black101:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Exhaust flanges not in yet, which means I can't drive the bus to the friend's garage where we'll be doing the swap. :argh:

But, something did come in on a truck today :dance:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome! That thing looks sweet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That Subaru engine seems to be missing it's water jacket...

(Awesome. Do you have a time scale for fitting it?)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Shooting for next weekend. I work 4x12, so I have sat/sun/mon off, and this paycheck should be bigger because I've worked an extra day each weekend the past few weeks, which will go towards random odds and ends and a shitload of black RTV and simple green.

Illegal Alienation
Mar 2, 2016
That engine is mighty purdy. It'll be nice to see her to chooch so you can get the bus back on the road. At least the Beetle has held up well for you the past few weeks (frantically running around looking for wood to knock on).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Exhaust flanges came in! Tomorrow or Thursday morning, we build the extensions and prepare for war.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That's going to look great on your ultralight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Flanges are in, and on three of them, the holes for the exhaust tubing are ever so slightly too small.

Over/under on me dying if I use my ghetto router table and a carbide burr to enlarge them 1-2mm? I have 1.625 tubing and it just won't fit in.

I could buy a carbide burr for my dremel, but that's eight holes.

Also I can't find my 6mm shank burr. Carbide wood bits and all of the protective clothing?

• Locked thread