Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot my game install? Hadn't played for like a year and wanted to get into it again, but the game is unplayably slow. Clicking something in the main menu makes it hang for 10+ seconds, so I guess it's an interface issue?

It's the GOG version of BG1 and 2, with easytutu and a fixpack, widescreen mod, and unfinished business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Think it's some directdraw thing there is a direct fix for in the install folder IIRC, I had that when I fired 'er up.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I tried reinstalling setup-ddrawfix.exe but it didn't work

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kavak posted:

Anything that alters dialog.tlk is going to have bugs unless they've been adapted to it.

Are you sure? I thought weidu got over that problem like 15 years ago.

If so then this will be like just about every mod since dialogue.tlk contains like every single bit of text in the game

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I tried to get SCS and a few other mods to play nicely with SoD and failed miserably. A ton of the item descriptions became random snippets of dialogue.

But then I kind of realized that there's not a ton of fun in beating my head against the wall and I'm not really good enough at these games to need SCS to be challenged. The only mod I feel like I really want anymore is that one that let you re-class and re-spec all the NCP's before you get to them, which I really like because my play-throughs take so drat long I forget what I've done so by the time I hit each party member it's a pleasant surprise to see what weird poo poo I have turned them into.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Holy moly whoever said inquisitor as a good playthrough wasnt lying. That fight in Burghest with the thay wizard owned me my first time playing a long time ago, now I just walked in and cast dispel/true sight and one shot him.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Krowley posted:

I tried reinstalling setup-ddrawfix.exe but it didn't work
I think there's one called IE-Ddrawfix or something?

I definitely remember deleting something, too.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

queeb posted:

Holy moly whoever said inquisitor as a good playthrough wasnt lying. That fight in Burghest with the thay wizard owned me my first time playing a long time ago, now I just walked in and cast dispel/true sight and one shot him.

There is something innately satisfying about breaking Baldurs Gate with insane character combos. Making an Elven Archer and obliterating Tarnesh outside of the Friendly Arm Inn in the enhanced editions is very satisfying. Another brilliant one is to make an assassin and then poison Firebead Elvenhair in Winthrops inn for an easy 1500 exp.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

mitochondritom posted:

There is something innately satisfying about breaking Baldurs Gate with insane character combos. Making an Elven Archer and obliterating Tarnesh outside of the Friendly Arm Inn in the enhanced editions is very satisfying. Another brilliant one is to make an assassin and then poison Firebead Elvenhair in Winthrops inn for an easy 1500 exp.

Multiclass elven kensai/mage dual wielding longswords. Mage armor and shield castable right at level 1.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mitochondritom posted:

Another brilliant one is to make an assassin and then poison Firebead Elvenhair in Winthrops inn for an easy 1500 exp.

One of my favorites is elven Fighter/Mage/Assassin. The gimmick is to try to only kill to advance the main plot. I waffle on single targets vs "murder the entire tent at the bandit camp", but either way its super fun. I have yet to work out the ideal way to get enough cash to get that sweet Dagger of Venom asap, but you become your father's son the second you can afford it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

WooOOoOoOOhOoooOooOo

https://twitter.com/scottfeed/status/787323737771126785

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
2spoopy

Anyone has any idea for Siege of Dragonspear honors for this year's ironman? Other than kill the dragon. Kill the dwarven lich? He's not very hard though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Don't use Corwin? :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kavak posted:

Don't use Corwin? :v:

When I played SoD, I was actually playing an Archer, so adding another Archer took it from easy to ridiculously easy. Two Archers is insane.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I think the Pillars of Eternity Ironman thread had an honour for playing one of its expansions blind. We could do the same for Siege of Dragonspear.

While on the subject of honours, how about one for playing a run in Legacy of Bhaal mode?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

biscuits and crazy posted:

I think the Pillars of Eternity Ironman thread had an honour for playing one of its expansions blind. We could do the same for Siege of Dragonspear.

While on the subject of honours, how about one for playing a run in Legacy of Bhaal mode?

I have not yet played SoD I should try an ironman run of it as my first try. I don't know anything about it either. Other than there is a ladyman in it somewhere maybe.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone here played with either the Kelsey (Sorcerer), Angelo (fighter/mage) or Solaufein (fighter/mage) NPC mods for BG2/ToB and are they any good?

For my next playthrough I want a sorcerer and/or some variant of fighter/mage in the party. My PC will be one or the other.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kelsey fit in pretty well with the original characters from memory and his voice acting is decent. I didn't do his romance so can't say much about that

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Luckily I survived with 1 hit point.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Washout posted:

I have not yet played SoD I should try an ironman run of it as my first try. I don't know anything about it either. Other than there is a ladyman in it somewhere maybe.

It does have some tough fights in it, but if you are a BG veteran I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. There are some gently caress you traps and enemies in certain parts though.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

mitochondritom posted:

It does have some tough fights in it, but if you are a BG veteran I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. There are some gently caress you traps and enemies in certain parts though.

That would be the most annoying part honestly, normally when I play I just autosave as I go and reload when I run into a trap that does something significant, which is much faster than slowly inching my way through the dungeon behind the rogue.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Can't wait for Ironman this year. I didn't finish it last year but this year I will.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Washout posted:

That would be the most annoying part honestly, normally when I play I just autosave as I go and reload when I run into a trap that does something significant, which is much faster than slowly inching my way through the dungeon behind the rogue.

I think the worst are things like Imprison or Maze, less so for confusion or dominate. Traps or enemies that can actually result in a game over without any prior knowledge of the encounter. I don't think Pillars of Eternity has anything like that, which makes it more forgiving to Iron Man blind. That being said I don't think SoD has anything like an imprison enemy that could end the game for a solo player.

I would be keen to try to Iron Man Icewind Dale I this year. I picked up the EE in a sale and haven't played yet. There is also Tyranny coming out which might lend itself well to Iron Manning as its supposed to be shorter and very replayable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You might like this Planescape: Tarot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Apparently the Serpent in the Staglands/Copper Dreams people named their cats Branwen and Ajantis. :3:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Lemon-Lime posted:

Apparently the Serpent in the Staglands/Copper Dreams people named their cats Branwen and Ajantis. :3:
This litter box has a sense of evil about it!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is Serpent in the Staglands good? It has great visuals but I've heard mixed things on gameplay.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

Is Serpent in the Staglands good? It has great visuals but I've heard mixed things on gameplay.

It's quite grognard.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

It's good, but it's also very, very retro, to the point where it makes it a pain to play.

Copper Dreams looks like it's going to be significantly more accessible.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

It's quite grognard.

Yea, but in the good way or the bad way?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Anything more specific? The only thing I really know in particular is that there's no map so you use an in game journal to write down directions yourself, which sounds cool but also like a huge pain.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, but in the good way or the bad way?
The bad way.
I tried getting into it multiple times and never made it more than a few hours in.

Everything about it is as opaque as possible. The few things that are explained are explained poorly and/or by just dumping some formula on you without further context. Inventory management is clunky. Looting is even worse. The lack of direction (no journal, poorly explained objectives) make even the most basic quests annoying to undertake.

And there is no great game hidden under the layers of game design choices from the early 90s. The world and the game's hook are interesting but the actual characters don't really come to life and the dialogue writing is bland and basic, and often painfully stilted. Quests are equally bland and basic, and there are only very few of them. The game is poorly balanced and combat will usually consist of going through tons of identical trash mobs without ever really varying your tactics (in part because you don't have enough different skills to even be able to do that). Combat is extremely swingy, like getting hit for 1-10 damage when your characters have 15-20 HP kind of swingy.

The game is also poo poo graphically to the point where it's problematic. The pixelated font is terrible. The sprites are bad and make it hard to figure out what's going on at any time. The interface is poo poo.

And, for a game that looks like it could run on an Atari, it has absurd load times. The pathfinding is also terrible, on the level of what I imagine an early alpha of Baldur's Gate might have been like in that regard.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Styles posted:

The pixelated font is terrible.

This alone would be enough to turn me off. I cannot understand the appeal of "retro graphics". lovely graphics in old games were not a grand artistic vision, it was a hardware/software a limitation and there is no earthly reason to carry that dumb poo poo forward.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

This alone would be enough to turn me off. I cannot understand the appeal of "retro graphics". lovely graphics in old games were not a grand artistic vision, it was a hardware/software a limitation and there is no earthly reason to carry that dumb poo poo forward.

It looks insanely badass actually.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

GorfZaplen posted:

It looks insanely badass actually.

Unreadable text is insanely bad rear end? Or just lovely outdated graphics in general?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
A blanket statement that pixel graphics is pointless because it is possible to create more advanced or realistic graphics is like claiming all paintings are pointless because we have cameras.
Sure, there is poo poo art out there but it is a legitimate artistic style and choice with much to offer.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The big problem wit SitS' pixel art and font is legibility.

The sprites look mushy and it's often hard to tell what's going on during combat, or at least harder than it should be.

And using a low-res pixely font is just a bad decision no matter what, and really bad when it's done in a text-heavy game that runs in a tiny window and frequently makes you look at screens like this: http://indierpgs.com/2015/05/new-release-serpent-in-the-staglands/serpent-in-the-staglands-character-creation/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

kujeger posted:

there is poo poo art out there but it is a legitimate artistic style and choice with much to offer.

Lol a game isn't "art", also;

Wizard Styles posted:

The big problem wit SitS' pixel art and font is legibility.

The sprites look mushy and it's often hard to tell what's going on during combat, or at least harder than it should be.

And using a low-res pixely font is just a bad decision no matter what, and really bad when it's done in a text-heavy game that runs in a tiny window and frequently makes you look at screens like this: http://indierpgs.com/2015/05/new-release-serpent-in-the-staglands/serpent-in-the-staglands-character-creation/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

bongwizzard posted:

Lol a game isn't "art", also;

Edgy, also confusing as we're talking about art styles and the post you quoted uses the word art too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Do you guys know where the best modding communities for Baldur's Gate 2 EE are? Playing story-mode on BG2 is a touch too easy, while I want to experience the narrative never being able to die just doesn't feel right. I'd like to investigate how I could create a mod that lets PCs become unconscious or inactive rather than outright die if their HP drops to 0 (my chief reason annoyance in BG2 is barely surviving fights without having at least once character die).