Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I was reading that all like "Dude has a Hadoop cluster in his garage, he is clearly not the target audience"

I'm also like "god dammit why is it always kettles that cause all this grief, just use the microwave if you want hot water"

Properly boiling water in a microwave is a pain in the rear end since you have to manually time it, kettles just shut off when they hit the correct temperature. And if you're using merely hot water to make tea you're not doing it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And sometimes microwaved water explodes.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Panfilo posted:

One of the pigeons came back like 3 times and got swallowed up :stonk:

In the full video you can see one walking headfirst into it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJlFA14rHw&t=60s

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Panfilo posted:

Enjoy your whole grain and pigeon sandwiches. :)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

SinineSiil posted:

In the full video you can see one walking headfirst into it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lJlFA14rHw&t=60s

:guitar: SECRET TUNNEL.... SECRET TUNNEL!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Krispy Kareem posted:

And sometimes microwaved water explodes.

Yeah I've always heard that old nugget about how dumb it is to microwave just water with nothing else in it because you're risking the water exploding in your face when you jostle it to add anything. Snopes tells me this is true but super rare.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah I've always heard that old nugget about how dumb it is to microwave just water with nothing else in it because you're risking the water exploding in your face. Snopes tells me this is true but super rare.

I believe the water has to be in a super smooth container and not have any ripples or anything happening on the top for it to instantly boil once it's disturbed. Sort of like leaving bottles of water out in the cold and they look liquid, ut once you pick them up they freeze through. I'm sure a science goon can explain it better/correctly though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I've always heard that old nugget about how dumb it is to microwave just water with nothing else in it because you're risking the water exploding in your face. Snopes tells me this is true but super rare.

Normally only happens in glass. The vessel has to be super smooth so there's no nucleation points. A bamboo chopstick in your boiling vessel will assure you of not having superheated water that goes splodey.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

You kinda have to go out of your way to get the perfect conditions of uncontaminated water and uncontaminated cup, super heating and then setting the explosion off, yea.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
All I'm saying is, my kettle won't do that to me.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Normally only happens in glass. The vessel has to be super smooth so there's no nucleation points. A bamboo chopstick in your boiling vessel will assure you of not having superheated water that goes splodey.

So microwaving water in a glass measuring cup could theoretically make this happen then?

Apparently I've been dodging bullets my whole life.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zipperelli. posted:

So microwaving water in a glass measuring cup could theoretically make this happen then?

Apparently I've been dodging bullets my whole life.

Yep. It's happened to me with pyrex measuring cups. But normally the bottom has some tiny ridges on it which end up preventing it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Well, here I am, boiling water with fire like some sort of retard

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

You should be boiling water by harnessing the power of the atom!!!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
alright, i've gone over the discussion, and the winner of most correct water boiler is

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have a bizarrely-dangerous mug.

It looks a bit like this:

When you microwave it, the handle gets hot. Very hot.

In fact, the water inside it barely heats up to tepid, while the handle gets hot enough to burn your fingers (as in blisters)

I am guessing that the handle is exactly some multiple of the microwave's wavelength and resonates perfectly: either that or it is possessed.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Your cup is haunted

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Hyperlynx posted:

In a similar vein, a religious group funded a study on the power of prayer helping hospital recovery. They found that it does nothing if the patient doesn't know you're praying for them, and actually makes things worse if they do.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

Thus proving that God works in mysterious ways, that our mortal minds can not what of.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MariusLecter posted:

You kinda have to go out of your way to get the perfect conditions of uncontaminated water and uncontaminated cup, super heating and then setting the explosion off, yea.

It's pretty much impossible to do in a microwave with a turntable I think, too.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ElGroucho posted:

I sit patiently by the sliding glass door with a pot of water and a giant magnifying glass

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Handles are actually the biggest obstacle to microwaving water to boil it: the container directly receives the heat as well, so the handle will also heat to potentially painful levels before the water actually starts to boil.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jamfrost posted:

What? Uh... Maybe they confused it for the other stuff?

Pigeons, like a lot of birds, are omnivores. Chickens cannibalize each other basically constantly unless you segregate them out.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Your mug is not microwave safe, stop putting it there. (If you're unsure whether a vessel is microwave safe or not, put it in with some water in and heat it for a minute; if the water is hot but the vessel is not, it's safe.)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Aerdan posted:

Your mug is not microwave safe, stop putting it there. (If you're unsure whether a vessel is microwave safe or not, put it in with some water in and heat it for a minute; if the water is hot but the vessel is not, it's safe.)

Adding on to this, please note that there isn't actually an official set of guidelines, or even a standardized definition, behind manufacturers marking dishes "microwave safe" or not on the bottom, so just because your mug SAYS it's microwave safe, that doesn't override Aerdan's advice

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aerdan posted:

You'd think the multiple severe burns to my fingers would have drawn me to this conclusion, but you'd be surprised.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It took multiple people at boston dynamics kicking over robots and intentionally shoving them and tripping them. But. It begins.
http://i.imgur.com/eHlOGEE.gifv

And it begins with dodgeball

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Panfilo posted:

The hole was made for him

DRR DRR

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fishstick posted:

It took multiple people at boston dynamics kicking over robots and intentionally shoving them and tripping them. But. It begins.

That looks kinda CGI.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have a special mug that has a tiny crack in it and if my tea gets cold I'll microwave it. The little hole will whistle for quite a while as long as the cup and its contents are still hot.
That's my microwave mug story.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Fishstick posted:

Did they go out of their way to make it look like Chappie? Or the other way round?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

That looks kinda CGI.

Seems to be quite a few frames missing before the robot 'catches' the ball, so yeah...

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just like its martial arts stance.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Yeah I've always heard that old nugget about how dumb it is to microwave just water with nothing else in it because you're risking the water exploding in your face when you jostle it to add anything. Snopes tells me this is true but super rare.

To go into more detail, what can cause the water to "explode" is that it's being heated up to the point where it would normally start boiling, but there isn't anything for the bubbles of water vapor to form on. Water impurities or imperfections in the container can provide suitable nucleation points.

As can just sufficiently jostling the container which forces the issue as you disturb the unstable equilibrium it's achieved (Hence why it would explode) but most turntable microwaves don't have perfectly smooth transits meaning that they'll shake the water and cause it to bubble as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Measly Twerp posted:

Seems to be quite a few frames missing before the robot 'catches' the ball, so yeah...

Or you can just look at the completely motionless and unresponsive manequins on the computers in the background.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

La Carnita apologizes for Trump-inspired 'grab her by the taco' post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/la-carnita-apology-trump-1.3801103

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
unf

Nancy Grace walks out of interview about her exploiting dead children

http://www.avclub.com/article/nancy-grace-walks-out-interview-about-her-exploiti-244110?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Oct 13, 2016

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think C.M. Punk should do another MMA match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

It was beautiful. That's my favorite radio show and I was so happy to be listening to that live. “You can leave if you want; we’re not gonna kill ourselves after the interview.”