Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the crying statue of liberty gets me every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

I don't see them dropping PS3 support till the home country has decided they want to adopt the PS4

Based on Persona sales, I'd say that they're already there.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes. Tri-D with contagion is 540 + 475 + 440 = 1455 potency, plus two festers for 2055, so doing them inside DWT gives you 206 extra potency. But since you need to use an R2 instead of an R3, you lose 132 potency, and another 120 for MP that could be used on an R3 outside of DWT.

Also pretend I emptyquoted Chair's post.

Thanks for this, apparently I've been playing smn all wrong. It actually makes the rotation a lot simpler too.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Based on Persona sales, I'd say that they're already there.

they sold more PS4 the week persona 5 got released than they had in all the months prior

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tae posted:

I got my first chemistry stuff for squadron. So if I read it right, I get to keep their bonuses forever as long as I use them?
You go into the roster (third option on the board) and right-click someone and pick the Chemistry option to set it. Then you run a mission and those stick forever, until you actively replace them with a new potential one that they get after a mission.

If you don't set the Chemistry to active (leaving it potential), it will go away forever after the next mission.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

they sold more PS4 the week persona 5 got released than they had in all the months prior

It was a combination of the game and the systems channels being bled dry to make room for the newer models. But yeah even then P5 ps4 outsold the ps3 version 4/1. I think its past the point that ps3 versions need to be supported, people will jump if they dont have a choice.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

the fact that it's 1/4 is insane to me - it should have been 1/10 or not even that, but I guess they had to make the PS3 version because they saw that coming

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well, as somebody who is a couple days away from maxing dragoon, my first dps job, I am definitely interested in some rotation pointers. I've always done well compared to other dps in random dungeons, but I realize that is like being king of poo poo mountain. From what research I've done, this seems to be the most in-depth guide. The core rotation makes sense, but knowing where to precisely stick all of the ogcd abilities in order to maximize the pain feels like a challenge.

How bad is the basic opener compared to the advanced version? Should I stick with the basic version, or bite the bullet and try the tougher version?

As long as you press your GCDs in the 10-button rotation, and mash your off-GCDs wildly, you're like 90% of the way to being a top-tier dragoon. Using Geirskogul properly gives you another 9%. Optimizing exactly which order you wildly mash your off-GCDs in will make a very tiny difference.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Normally I won't add guest posts to the Twitter if they don't use the same font, but the MrHappy guide pushes it over for me :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well, as somebody who is a couple days away from maxing dragoon, my first dps job, I am definitely interested in some rotation pointers. I've always done well compared to other dps in random dungeons, but I realize that is like being king of poo poo mountain. From what research I've done, this seems to be the most in-depth guide. The core rotation makes sense, but knowing where to precisely stick all of the ogcd abilities in order to maximize the pain feels like a challenge.

How bad is the basic opener compared to the advanced version? Should I stick with the basic version, or bite the bullet and try the tougher version?

My opener is battle litany -> heavy thrust -> b4b&IR -> impulse drive -> power surge&leg sweep -> disembowel -> BotD & pot or dragonfire dive -> combo finisher -> jump -> phlebotomize -> spineshatter dive -> true thrust -> geirskogul -> vorpal thrust -> life surge -> full thrust -> leg sweep -> combo finisher and then heavy thrust, CT&finisher, phlebotomize, FT&finisher, repeat. The rule I usually use is 22 seconds ticking after my finisher means I can geirskogul before the next finisher. Pop your other cooldowns as they come up.

If you use a pot with BotD you should hit the pot first then chaos thrust. Shift all your oGCDs one over and just geirskogul and life surge in the same spot.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 12, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

YamataNoOrochi posted:

Thanks for this, apparently I've been playing smn all wrong. It actually makes the rotation a lot simpler too.

So then this

quote:

\
(3 stacks of flow, 3 stacks of trail, all dots up)
0s: Dreadwyrm Trance, fester, Ruin 3
3s: Ruin 3, Tri-Disaster + Contagion
6s: Ruin 3, Enkindle
9s: Ruin 3
12s: Ruin 2, Fester, Deathflare
15s: Burst over, start refreshing dots/shadowflare
42s: Use another fester to keep Aethertrail stacks alive
~60s: Aetherflow
(you now have 3 stacks of flow, 3 stacks of trail alive for another 12 seconds, and time to get dots up)
(loop from the beginning)

Should have another ruin 3at the 12s mark?

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Tae posted:

I got my first chemistry stuff for squadron. So if I read it right, I get to keep their bonuses forever as long as I use them?

When your squaddie discovers a chemistry it only gets removed if you don't confirm it on the character before the next mission. If you confirm the chemistry it doesn't matter if you use it or not. Having a chemistry confirmed doesn't affect being able to discover new chemistries but you can only have one confirmed at a given time. There's also no penalty for changing your confirmed chemistry if you find something you like more .

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

My opener with pots is battle litany -> heavy thrust -> b4b&IR -> impulse drive -> power surge&leg sweep -> disembowel -> BotD & pot or dragonfire dive -> combo finisher -> jump -> phlebotomize -> spineshatter dive -> true thrust -> geirskogul -> vorpal thrust -> life surge -> full thrust -> leg sweep -> combo finisher and then heavy thrust, CT&finisher, phlebotomize, FT&finisher, repeat. The rule I usually use is 22 seconds ticking after my finisher means I can geirskogul before the next finisher. Pop your other cooldowns as they come up.

With pots, it's slightly better to do Impulse Drive -> BotD -> Disembowel -> Pot -> Chaos Thrust, because pots have such a long animation lock you can't combine them with another off-GCD, and that's the only slot you can put it in where it affects both chaos thrust and full thrust (and sing BotD one GCD earlier doesn't affect your final geirskoguls per minute anyways). That said, it's probably leaving less than a thousand damage total on the floor so you'll probably lose more DPS trying to change your muscle memory.

Since Geirskogul usage is both nontrivial and pretty key to maximizing Dragoon DPS, here's my thoughts on it:
On a training dummy, you can just straight up alternate using it and not using it every 4th combo hit and you'll use up your BotD timer right as it comes off cooldown, every time.
If the boss goes invincible or something and you're making poo poo up on the spot rather than following a set rotation, I use Geirskogul if either the BotD timer ticks to 23 or above, or if BotD has <10 seconds left on its CD when I hit my 4th combo. I use 23 as my magic number instead of 22 because it gives me a bit more wiggle room and only affects your geirskoguls/minute in extreme corner cases. You never hit exactly 22 on a training dummy anyways.
If the boss is going to go invincible anytime in the near future, I won't do the <10 seconds geirskogul, and will just keep the old buff up instead of killing it and re-using it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Derp, I remembered ffgoons forums. Now I have knowledge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Since we're talking SMN how low do you let your mana get before switching to R1?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
bluegartr is a bad site because not only is it next to useless for endgame info, its chock full of tanaka apologists

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Farg posted:

bluegartr is a bad site because not only is it next to useless for endgame info, its chock full of tanaka apologists

Are there any good sites?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Soonmot posted:

So then this

Should have another ruin 3at the 12s mark?

Spell speeds are higher now than when I played SMN, apparently making it viable to simply cast 6 Ruin IIIs inside DWT while ignoring all of the careful oGCD weaving you used to have to do.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Countblanc posted:

no because this community will derail any sites that tries to go in-depth on how to play the game and shout about glamours and story mode instead

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the actual correct thing to do is to go to fflogs, pick a fight with relatively high uptime and low fuckery (translation: a9s), crack open a 90-95th percentile* or so parse for the job you're interested in, and dive in. you can use fflogs to filter only actions executed by the job, and look at the timeline of their actions and buff uptimes.

you don't want to look at the literal top parse because people purposely inflate to try and get on top of fflogs, and it will be horribly unrepresentative

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Countblanc posted:

no

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

gently caress you sticker book, there were three whole spots that would have given me a Thancred minion and you didn't pick any of them.

Well at least my squadron is on the level 40 mission now. Where they will sit until I'm back from fanfest. Maybe I'll bump into some find goons there, assuming my so called friends haven't killed me by dragging me along to Guy Fieri's restaurant.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Since we're talking SMN how low do you let your mana get before switching to R1?

50% is a good starting point. You can look at your healer's MP because your BRD/MCH will start the mana regens when the healers are low so you can afford to bottom out if your healers are.

If you gently caress up you can use energy drains instead of festers to bring you back to 60% mp or something along with the aetherflow. Since its only a 450 potency loss your fuckup won't be obvious in a parser too!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 12, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You go into the roster (third option on the board) and right-click someone and pick the Chemistry option to set it. Then you run a mission and those stick forever, until you actively replace them with a new potential one that they get after a mission.

If you don't set the Chemistry to active (leaving it potential), it will go away forever after the next mission.
More to the point there doesn't seem to be any reason to not just immediately confirm the first chemistry your minions get, since even if it's not immediately useful they can still acquire replacements later. So it's not like a "you better wait for a good one since you're stuck with it forever" thing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god there's even a crying bald eagle, holy moly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

50% as a rule of thumb, but you can probably drop to 25% and be safe. Really, as long as you're always under max MP, you're fine.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is that you need a lot of spell speed for 6R3. I'd say enough for a 2.33 GCD without speed buffs to be safe. If you can't reliably hit 6R3, it's better to replace one with an R2.

The other nice thing about 6R3 is that it gives you a lot of more flexibility in your rotation, because you can pop DWT whenever you want instead of every minute on the minute, as long as you're keeping aetherflow on cooldown.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks.

Oh lordy the opener for SMN is a convoluted mess :stare:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I dabbled with gathering collectibles when it was a new things and it helped me level my professions, but then I lost interest and really only messed with fishing in Diadem to make money. I got my hands on the new HQ gathering set off the MB and am curious where I should start in terms of actually working towards gathering valuable poo poo. Also is there anywhere I can look at rotations for the abilities because I have forgotten everything about collecting.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm a few pages late, but I was at work.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Leofish posted:

This, but unironically

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"Market bored" doesn't make any gosh danged sense and doesn't relate to the joke!! It's just a random pun!! Argh!!!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so when do we get the expansion reveal

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Farg posted:

Probably friday. If not then, saturday.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Verranicus posted:

So I dabbled with gathering collectibles when it was a new things and it helped me level my professions, but then I lost interest and really only messed with fishing in Diadem to make money. I got my hands on the new HQ gathering set off the MB and am curious where I should start in terms of actually working towards gathering valuable poo poo. Also is there anywhere I can look at rotations for the abilities because I have forgotten everything about collecting.

All the real good stuff is on folklore nodes so get to gathering blue scrip, though adamantite sells pretty ok. For gatherers red scrip only upgrades their scrip gear so maybe buy that if it is an upgrade over what you have. Rotations are super easy if you can meet the max 115 collectibility Methodical Appraisal on your target. I get mine from a short list provided by my FC (TPT).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Who in here wrote that post detailing where to get all the older FF protag outfits in game? I can't seem to find it in this thread.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Leofish posted:

Not accurate. No catgirls.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leofish posted:

Heh, I actually have a similar concept that I've just been lazy to do.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Farg posted:

If it's anything like last time, the Friday keynote will open with a teaser for the expansion including the name, and we'll get a number of details about it. That will be at 11AM Pacific.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Suppose the expansion is revealed, will it be like another year or 2 before it's released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

expect may-june for expansion

• Locked thread