Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Skinty McEdger posted:

Trump is beloved by so many in the european rightwing, neo nazi and fascist communities. It's one of the most sickening things for those of us here who are observing those groups because for so long they haven't had one distinct figurehead to rally around. Trump's given them that.

Huh...so he really is literally Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I kind of think it's at this point already. I don't think most of these groping things are going to make a big impact. You really need video/audio evidence of poo poo he's done to really catch on and make people pay attention.

If he sues the NYT over it I guarantee you it will be big loving news.

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

2spooky4me posted:

You get that the only other alternative is Donald Trump right?

It's enough to make a person sick.

Or throw up their hands and say "gently caress all this" and just stop caring. One person can't make a difference anyway. gently caress it.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

gfsincere posted:

How else do people give presentations?

Sober???

I've been doing it wrong for all these years, my God.

Stacks posted:

"I'm going to vote for Hillary Clinton and watch her reign down hellfire on the Middle East while sitting comfortably in my house thousands of miles away from the carnage. My conscience is clean"

Voting solely to remain ideologically pure is immoral and also really loving dumb, my dude.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I kind of think it's at this point already. I don't think most of these groping things are going to make a big impact. You really need video/audio evidence of poo poo he's done to really catch on and make people pay attention.

Keep in mind the closer we get to the election, the larger the demand for coverage of this stuff, so even in a sane election cycle small stuff would be particularly disposed to blowing up. Any fatigue that exists isn't going to outweigh the demand for this stuff so late in an election cycle.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Stacks posted:

Or throw up their hands and say "gently caress all this" and just stop caring. One person can't make a difference anyway. gently caress it.
We've already described exactly why it is, in fact, the moral decision to vote for the lesser evil. Get over yourself.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

cyphr555 posted:

well

i know of at least one other, but we both work remotely for companies based elsewhere

still counts

I mean, the company I work for is in San Fran, and I'm in Atlanta.

:homebrew:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

gfsincere posted:

It usually comes in the form of microaggressions, like following someone around the store, saying "you're so well spoken" or "you're one of the good ones", poo poo like that.

I've always noticed it taking a paternalistic tone about how the enlightened white progressive knows the solutions and that they are so simple yet why does the minority community not notice and do the things? Similar to how the hardcore white Bernie supporters were talking about how African Americans would vote for Bernie if they just could figure out how his policies would help them.

Oh and one really frustrating thing about white progressives is that they will freeze up and not speak up when some other white person is being an overtly racist shithead. I've noticed myself doing it after the fact.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
New allegation, People magazine writer making it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One of us could have conserved it for a future gift!

That one is you.

I was gonna say that it wouldn't be necessary to have an extra unless KM was planning on eating a Ban in the near future. :v:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

gfsincere posted:

I mean let's think about it:

-played EVE
-was a computer janitor
-now infosec yospos idiot

If I was 400 lbs I'd be perfect goon.

Don't you dare try to steal my position. :argh:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

gfsincere posted:

My personal favorite "companies screw people over" story/cost of living anecdote is how Hasbro pays its devs Maryland salary, when Wizards of the Coast (owned by Hasbro) is in Seattle.
And they wonder why they can't keep competent people.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Stacks posted:

:allears:

you want to make a difference get involved at the local level.

volunteer. even if it isn't political. make where you live a better place than it is today. no amount of moralizing on the internet is going to do anything unless you get off your butt and actually do something about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stacks posted:

If what you want is to feel better you could just vote for hillary and then say a few hail marys like a normal person.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/bencjacobs/status/786384639644401665

:stare:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stacks posted:

"I'm going to vote for Hillary Clinton and watch her reign down hellfire on the Middle East while sitting comfortably in my house thousands of miles away from the carnage. My conscience is clean"

Do you think America is indiscriminately bombing the middle east right now? Or has been for the past 8 years?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Instant Sunrise posted:

New York Times Co. vs Sullivan

tl;dr: In 1960 during the civil rights movement, a group of African-Americans bought a full page newspaper ad called "Heed Their Rising. Voices" in the New York Times to protest the arrest and imprisonment of Martin Luther King Jr.

The ad also mentioned the injustices and violence that was being done to African-American men and women in the south as well as an example of the hostile environment that they were living in at the time.

However the ad was slightly inaccurate in regards to the actions of the police force of Montgomery Alabama. The ad said that Dr. King had been arrested 7 times, when he had actually only been arrested 4 times. And a group of students staged a demonstration on the capitol steps where they sang the national anthem, not "My Country 'Tis of Thee."

The police commissioner of Montgomery AL, L.B. Sullivan, wasn't named in the ad, but felt that the ad was horribly defamatory and inaccurate, and sued the New York Times over it.

The Alabama state courts and Supreme Court ruled in Sullivan's favor for some reason.

So the Times appealed the case to the Supreme Court of the United States, and won in 9-0.

The ruling said that for a libel suit to pass scrutiny, there must be proof of actual malice per the 1st and 14th amendments. In other words, you have to know that a statement is untrue, and publish anyway with the intent to cause harm, and the person suing you must be able to prove that you knew the information wasn't true and that it would cause harm.

Wow, you would think that with that reasoning, this court decision could be used to burn Fox News to the ground.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Barlow posted:

http://people.com/politics/donald-trump-attacked-people-writer/

two autoplaying videos on the same page, fair warning

also holy gently caress

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stacks posted:

Maybe stop being a baby and realize that, out of the actual choices that you have, Hillary Clinton will help the most people and do the least harm? I'm lefty as gently caress and Hillary Clinton isn't even close to my ideal candidate, but I voted for her in 2008, voted for her this year, and will vote for her in November. And I have been and will be happy to do it.

If you desperately want to see things change then get involved in local politics and find ways to more directly support candidates you care about.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

No joke, I just saw a youtube video with a Gary Johnson joke in it. ANd I STILL forgot he existed till you posted this.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I take it back Stacks. Apparently people do care, very much so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember when Cosby was first accused he tried to play it off normally for a couple weeks and continue on as if nothing was happening. But then the allegations continued and continued until the media was wall to wall coverage about it.

This is what is beginning to happen with Trump.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tom Guycot posted:

Jesus, is there any chance of so many people coming out about Trump that it becomes white noise and he rebounds? I gotta tell ya' its getting harder and harder to find ways to arzy.
What's he gonna do, sue a major media outlet for what appears to be ill defined reasons?

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Barlow posted:

http://people.com/politics/donald-trump-attacked-people-writer/

:barf:

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

I've always noticed it taking a paternalistic tone about how the enlightened white progressive knows the solutions and that they are so simple yet why does the minority community not notice and do the things? Similar to how the hardcore white Bernie supporters were talking about how African Americans would vote for Bernie if they just could figure out how his policies would help them.

Oh and one really frustrating thing about white progressives is that they will freeze up and not speak up when some other white person is being an overtly racist shithead. I've noticed myself doing it after the fact.

This helped me understand it a little bit. Some guy at a bar called a friend of mine "the Asian girl" and when one of our friends called him out on it, we all just sort of stood around and shuffled our feet because the guy upset couldn't explain to the guy who said "the Asian girl" why it was wrong to do so in a way that made sense to him. It wasn't his job to do so but if he wasn't there we probably would have just answered the guy's questions. But again, like I said, a lot of Southeast Asians are super racist so that didn't even register for us. We of course understood why it would have been better not to say it, but I never would have even noticed it if someone hadn't pointed it out to me.

I don't really understand why white people get so upset when someone points out when they're being racist. I'd prefer to know if I'm being racist. Even if I can't change it'd be nice to know my limits.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Stacks posted:

People like you are why Scott Walker and Ron Johnson got elected in WI. Ask us sometime how well that's gone for the ideologically pure.

I'd look up the turnout numbers, but I'm on my phone.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I was gonna say that it wouldn't be necessary to have an extra unless KM was planning on eating a Ban in the near future. :v:

I toxxed for Abuela so I am safe.

But thanks guys, you rock! I kept meaning to buy plat but various reasons I won't delve into never have the disposal cash. 😑 Anyways it's a nice gesture and I appreciate it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

gfsincere posted:

I mean let's think about it:

-played EVE
-was a computer janitor
-now infosec yospos idiot

If I was 400 lbs I'd be perfect goon.

I doubt you grew up living a life of suburban white privilege so not even if you gained weight, sorry.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Am I crazy to think that so much poo poo is going to drop in the next 20 days that there will not be time to cover it? Christ everyone has forgotten about Trump telling a 10 year old he wanted to gently caress her 10 years latter on tape that droped 5 hours ago. poo poo the NYT still has more tax returns iirc

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

BigRed0427 posted:

No joke, I just saw a youtube video with a Gary Johnson joke in it. ANd I STILL forgot he existed till you posted this.

A little bit ago, I was trying to think of the other one running who wasn't Jill Stein, and I forgot Gary's last name.

I forgot a name like "Johnson".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Winkie01 posted:

Am I crazy to think that so much poo poo is going to drop in the next 20 days that there will not be time to cover it? Christ everyone has forgotten about Trump telling a 10 year old he wanted to gently caress her 10 years latter on tape that droped 5 hours ago. poo poo the NYT still has more tax returns iirc
We're witnessing full gravitational collapse. This campaign is going to contract to the size of a rugose cylinder approximately 25cm long.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

BaDandy posted:

A little bit ago, I was trying to think of the other one running who wasn't Jill Stein, and I forgot Gary's last name.

I forgot a name like "Johnson".

hehe, "johnson"

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

gfsincere posted:

Just finished watching your whole talk (I skipped around a little bit), and it really made me reconsider alot of the interactions I've had in my life. Especially a lot of the weird poo poo that Mayflower Material have said to me in the past month or so. Good job, man.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Statement from Gary Johnson: "We know libertarians have a HUGE problem getting women to vote for us, but we'd like to take this opportunistic moment to care less about the victims of sexual assault and more about our electoral chances by asking you not to vote for a qualified woman and to vote for Gurry Jurnston."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nessus posted:

We're witnessing full gravitational collapse. This campaign is going to contract to the size of a rugose cylinder approximately 25cm long.

:golfclap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Winkie01 posted:

Remember 3 days ago when we were waiting for the Trump N-Word video to drop? Yeah.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I wonder how Deb Fischer is feeling about now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We are up to 5 women with sexual assault allegations against trump now and at least one more tomorrow morning.

Press is wink wink nudge nudge about their being more and getting riled up with NYT lawsuit that is inbound.

poo poo is getting ultra neon real.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Stacks posted:

Hillary is not going to just rain down hellfire on the Middle East you god-damned idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

cyphr555 posted:

omg i'm just so happy whenever i find another dev in CLE

there are LITERALLY DOZENS of us

I'm surprised you don't know more actually. I'm a dev in Cleveland and know many others. A surprising number of companies do development out here. It's not some tech mecca, but there are devs here.

• Locked thread