Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get her Squirrel Girl instead?

I would say Gwenpool, but uh, she kills some folk, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I would say Gwenpool, but uh, she kills some folk, no?

She's in the process of learning why it's bad, though. Good morals for a light kid comic. Hurry, ImpAtom! Get your sister Gwenpool at an early age so she doesn't end up a sociopath like me!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's not how sociopathy works!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Excuse me Lurdiak, but I've watched every Batman movie, and I think that qualifies me as a mental health professional.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Excuse me Lurdiak, but I've watched every Batman movie, and I think that qualifies me as a mental health professional.

Hmm. It is true that Batman is the most accurate depiction of mental health in fiction...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Synthbuttrange posted:

Get her Squirrel Girl instead?

For a 12yo, yeah

Usg
Ms marvel
Moon girl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

For a 12yo, yeah

Usg
Ms marvel
Moon girl

I do appreciate the suggestions and I have those in mind, I was mostly asking about Harley Quinn because she very specifically likes Harley Quinn right now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tell her she is wrong.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Buy her Harley toys so she can imagine up better stories than dc has produced

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I do appreciate the suggestions and I have those in mind, I was mostly asking about Harley Quinn because she very specifically likes Harley Quinn right now.

Find anything in the DC Super Hero Girls line. There was a FCBD issue back in the spring and I've seen a few young readers books out there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I was going to suggest Catwoman #89, where Harley pitches a cartoon based on the look of the animated series and the tv people keep adding things to fit their demographics like a hip asian and whatnot, but having just checked the issue, she kills them all at the end so uhhh never mind.

At least get her the Batman Adventures issue where she and Ivy use Bruce's credit card to buy everything (Batman Adventures Holiday Special)

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 12, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Batman TAS is by far the best and, quite frankly, only good characterization of Harley Quinn, considering it invented the character.

There's about a billion female Marvel superheroes that fill the idealized, non-rapey or sexualized version of Harley she actually never was or is that a young woman getting into comics would be far better off reading then "sexpot hot lesbian who blows up kids with nintendo DSes".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't actually read it but isn't there a Harley in bombshells? Is that too adult?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Harley Quinn is good in Injustice but she's hardly the focus.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

I haven't actually read it but isn't there a Harley in bombshells? Is that too adult?

Well, it's called "bombshells".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

It's a little sexy sexy sexy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah bummer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Find anything in the DC Super Hero Girls line. There was a FCBD issue back in the spring and I've seen a few young readers books out there.

That looks good actually, I'll look into that. Thank you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Check your LCS, they might have the free issue still. There's another one dropping on the 29th for Halloween Comic Fest.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Honestly I have no idea how a kid gets into Harley Quinn in 2016 since literally all of it is some combo of terrible and way too adult and you specifically say she didn't like btas Harley. I don't know what else you could be exposed to that wouldn't make you hate the character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Internet fanart?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Probably internet stuff completely removed from any actual stories. Fan art and cosplayers and all the ways the youth actually follow comic book characters.

e: ya.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Heh. Heh. Finals Crisis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Harley Quinn is good in Injustice but she's hardly the focus.

They are actually releasing a Harley Quinn Injustice comic soon.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Cognitive dissonance is putting this image next to Spider-man's "With great power comes great responsibility".

More so up against the origin of Dr. Strange, in my opinion. Strange starts off as someone super-duper talented in his field and absolutely expecting to be compensated at that level, every time, for his work, and then ends up learning humility and selflessness.

I've read it said somewhere that Ditko came across Objectivism somewhere during his time at Marvel, which would definitely account for the difference between Spider-Man and Mr. A.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Pastry of the Year posted:

More so up against the origin of Dr. Strange, in my opinion. Strange starts off as someone super-duper talented in his field and absolutely expecting to be compensated at that level, every time, for his work, and then ends up learning humility and selflessness.

I've read it said somewhere that Ditko came across Objectivism somewhere during his time at Marvel, which would definitely account for the difference between Spider-Man and Mr. A.

To be fair, in his crazy and totally unrealistic morality, characters like Mr. A do protect "the innocent" from having their rights restricted by "force" as a personal choice. It's just that the innocent victims are banks and jewelers and not poor people. Of course, it requires the characters be parodies of real human beings to work.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

joehonkie posted:

Heh. Heh. Finals Crisis.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

I love those series.

Also, the random black/white morality word associations Ditko comes up with are hilarious:

"See, I came up with one strawman example of a case where mercy brought the opposite of justice so I can just call them opposites now!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the current Power Man/Iron Fist series good stuff?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is the current Power Man/Iron Fist series good stuff?

I'm reading on unlimited so I'm 6 months behind, but I dug the first 2 issues.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Eh, it's not great but it's been good enough to hold my interest

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

Eh, it's not great but it's been good enough to hold my interest

Considering my intro to Luke Cage as a kid was that weird early 90's series where he fights somebody with extremely similar powers and fucks Dakota North (I think) and it wasn't a turnoff, sounds good enough to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's my first run. The first arc connects back to stuff i wasnt familiar with but the characters themselves were good enough for me to keep going and i like the angle on the current cw2 tie in

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The one issue of Cage is better than Power Man and Iron Fist, though I like it, also.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah Cage was great

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

They are actually releasing a Harley Quinn Injustice comic soon.

It's two issues in right now. The first issue is just all five years of Injustice summed up from Harley's POV.

One thing in Injustice that I really loved was Harley's lengthy crush on Shazam. It just made perfect sense. Joker's off the table and he's a buff, handsome dude with the literal mind of a child. The fact that it's all sketchy because of his actual age is the cherry on top, because this is still Harley we're talking about. Then she ends up cutting ties because she is the morally superior one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Huh, I just learned that Ed Brubaker is a producer on HBO's Westworld TV series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

Huh, I just learned that Ed Brubaker is a producer on HBO's Westworld TV series.

I'm posting today's AV Club interview with him because it was really good, and people will enjoy it:
http://www.avclub.com/article/ed-brubaker-westworld-fade-out-and-his-immersion-h-243754

We don't have HBO right now, since we usually only subscribe for Game of Thrones and then cancel, but I was already intrigued by Westworld, and now I'm more psyched than ever due to Brubaker's involvement.

Along those lines, I'm binge-watching Lost with my wife (my second time through, her first), and Brian K. Vaughan was a writer and producer throughout seasons 3, 4, and 5, which is very cool.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Considering my intro to Luke Cage as a kid was that weird early 90's series where he fights somebody with extremely similar powers and fucks Dakota North (I think) and it wasn't a turnoff, sounds good enough to me.

The 90s were very unkind to Luke Cage, among others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm posting today's AV Club interview with him because it was really good, and people will enjoy it:
http://www.avclub.com/article/ed-brubaker-westworld-fade-out-and-his-immersion-h-243754

We don't have HBO right now, since we usually only subscribe for Game of Thrones and then cancel, but I was already intrigued by Westworld, and now I'm more psyched than ever due to Brubaker's involvement.

Along those lines, I'm binge-watching Lost with my wife (my second time through, her first), and Brian K. Vaughan was a writer and producer throughout seasons 3, 4, and 5, which is very cool.

BKV was also show runner for Under the Dome, the one show I hatewatched. I do not recommend it and I don't think BKV does either.

• Locked thread