Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is it remotely possible for the Dems to gain 30~ seats in the House?

If Trump is seriously losing by upwards of 10 points on election night and spends these next few weeks telling his followers to not vote for GOP establishment/downticket people on top of that then yeah the House is possibly in play if there's actually enough otherwise vulnerable districts that are even bothering to run a Dem opponent.

Instant Sunrise posted:

something the court has hinted that they'd really like to take a case about

And they have!
http://www.fairvote.org/supreme_court_takes_up_two_gerrymandering_cases_oct2016

I'm not sure if all 4 liberal justices are on the "ban this poo poo" train or if Garland is but if Clinton actually gets to appoint Scalia's replacement and "court case that would outlaw Gerrymandering" is in the docket she's probably going to look for her CU-killing pick to also be on board with that since she knows full well that Gerrymandering helps the GOP more than the Dems.

Gerrymandering will probably only ever die in the courts because too many Congressmen would see the shakeup as a risk to their own position.

Hollismason posted:

I would have voted for Kasich maybe.

John Kasich is Scott Walker only with better taste in football and he's actually capable of hiding his horrific political views to look moderate. Like Pence only a bit better at it. IIRC he also whitesplained during a racial argument at Sto-Rox when he was a kid back in the 60s.

Goatman Sacks posted:

Trump''s business MO has always been to use his money to screw people by tying them up in litigation, hell his mentor was Roy Cohn. He's dealing with the sex scandals the same way he does everything else - legal bullying

The NYT is quite possibly the worst possible target in the world to go after for this. The only way this could get better is if Peter Thiel gets dragged in to it and ruined somehow as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GalacticAcid posted:

I know everyone is excited about Clinton dunking on Trump but I'll be sweating bullets on Election Night to watch the Senate races, in large part for this reason.

PA is gonna be awfully close. Think NH, FL, and NC should be nailbiters too.

yeah the senate and congress the real question at this point.

although I brought up the supreme court in regards to gerrymandering and racial packing because they're actually hearing a pair of very similar cases about it this term, one from virginia and the other from north carolina

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked Kasich taking a stand on Medicaid and his executive order regarding discrimination in State government against LGBT and gender identity. It impresses me more when someone goes against the flow I guess.

Yes, I am aware of his political stances.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Got any links on what gerrymandering is and how it has affected the US? Im a dirty Canadian so its something we very rarely see happening.

North Carolina's congressional districts are probably the worst offender. Look at the weirdly shaped ones that go all over the state to pack in as many democrats as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina%27s_congressional_districts

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Trump is seriously losing by upwards of 10 points on election night and spends these next few weeks telling his followers to not vote for GOP establishment/downticket people on top of that then yeah the House is possibly in play if there's actually enough otherwise vulnerable districts that are even bothering to run a Dem opponent.

And they have!
http://www.fairvote.org/supreme_court_takes_up_two_gerrymandering_cases_oct2016

I'm not sure if all 4 liberal justices are on the "ban this poo poo" train or if Garland is but if Clinton actually gets to appoint Scalia's replacement and "court case that would outlaw Gerrymandering" is in the docket she's probably going to look for her CU-killing pick to also be on board with that since she knows full well that Gerrymandering helps the GOP more than the Dems.

Gerrymandering will probably only ever die in the courts because too many Congressmen would see the shakeup as a risk to their own position.

John Kasich is Scott Walker only with better taste in football and he's actually capable of hiding his horrific political views to look moderate. Like Pence only a bit better at it. IIRC he also whitesplained during a racial argument at Sto-Rox when he was a kid back in the 60s.

The NYT is quite possibly the worst possible target in the world to go after for this. The only way this could get better is if Peter Thiel gets dragged in to it and ruined somehow as well.

There have also been successful referendums mandating that neutral commissions draw the district lines in a couple of states.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

gfsincere posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's audio of Trump toying with the idea of going to Africa and hunting black people.

If not trump, Don Jr. without a doubt.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I can't even imagine being a teacher trying to teach this stuff in a couple of years. Like, some US II classes get as far as Watergate and how was considered the biggest political scandal of its day. I feel that the kids won't even care! like Watergate seems like small potatoes compared to the Trumpenberg explosion

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

North Carolina's congressional districts are probably the worst offender. Look at the weirdly shaped ones that go all over the state to pack in as many democrats as possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina%27s_congressional_districts

That was actually really helpful. Terrifying, but helpful!

e

GalacticAcid posted:

There have also been successful referendums mandating that neutral commissions draw the district lines in a couple of states.

This is how its done in Canada. Seems to work pretty well most of the time, but FPTP is a lovely system and makes redrawing or creating new ridings something that can take years to approve.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 13, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Carlosologist posted:

I can't even imagine being a teacher trying to teach this stuff in a couple of years. Like, some US II classes get as far as Watergate and how was considered the biggest political scandal of its day. I feel that the kids won't even care! like Watergate seems like small potatoes compared to the Trumpenberg explosion

Well. Unlike trump, Nixon was actually president.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Carlosologist posted:

My brother is a 5th grade teacher and his school canceled their mock election.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

That was actually really helpful. Terrifying, but helpful!

Also Illinois's "earmuff" district:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois%27s_4th_congressional_district

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

GalacticAcid posted:

I live in one of those states and voted for that!

Now our state's GOP is basically dead.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Carlosologist posted:

Watergate and Iran-Contra are the two worst political scandals in American history and probably always will be. Watergate was a sitting President using explicitly illegal henchmen to undermine his political opponents and secure his reelection and Iran-Contra was literal treason.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Carlosologist posted:

If I ever see Igrab Cuntra in a text book I will beg aliens to just pick me up and drop me into the nearest neutron star.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
This election has become totally ridiculous. The first female presidential candidate versus the first male repeat sex offender candidate. Actually, I bet some of those 18th and 19th century presidents did equally as bad things as Trump though 'twas probably considered good sport in those days.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

I liked Kasich taking a stand on Medicaid and his executive order regarding discrimination in State government against LGBT and gender identity. It impresses me more when someone goes against the flow I guess.

Yes, I am aware of his political stances.

He's heavily anti choice for starters.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Catching up on a million pages, but had to skip ahead and post this:

https://twitter.com/NYCAviation/status/786418297822588929

quote:

Hi @KatrinaPierson, the aircraft types you mentioned all did operate into New York City.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lightning Knight posted:

I hope Hillary's campaign is willing to fight for these women and their inevitable legal battles with Trump. I'm going to be very mad if they don't go up to bat for these women after they come forward.

He's loathed by huge swaths of the nation, they'll be OK because they'll probably get some nice bro bono representation and support from various Democratic organizations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Isn't that one to create a minority majority district though?

Lamb Chowder
Oct 5, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I think I'm going to get a Trump voodoo doll and commit various wrongs and injuries to it - some physical, some social - and see what comes to pass. Seems healthier than sending death threats and who knows, something might work at this rate.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh man, how did they explain why?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Probably had to use a PSA by Chris Hanson to do it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Actually, I bet some of those 18th and 19th century presidents did equally as bad things as Trump though 'twas probably considered good sport in those days.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Gyges posted:

He's loathed by huge swaths of the nation, they'll be OK because they'll probably get some nice bro bono representation and support from various Democratic organizations.

I imagine it was a typo, but imo "bro bono" is a better term for that. :allears:

I guess we gotta include the lady lawyers tho. Darn.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

gfsincere posted:

HEY GUYS REMEMBER WHEN THE WORST THING TRUMP SAID WAS MEXICANS WERE RAPISTS AND MEGAN KELLY HAS BLOOD COMING OUT OF HER WHATEVER AND WE ALL LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND THOUGHT HE WAS A JOKE CANDIDATE?

REMEMBER?

GUYS?

guys???
He's still a joke candidate. The joke's just on us.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

Isn't that one to create a minority majority district though?

yeah, that's how gerrymandering works. put all the people who wont vote for you into one or two districts, and then try to keep the rest of the districts 60/40 vote for you/don't vote for you

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Pro typo there. It definitely made this post great.

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

Tom Guycot posted:

That's actually the saddest thing I've heard so far tonight.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

boner confessor posted:

yeah, that's how gerrymandering works. put all the people who wont vote for you into one or two districts, and then try to keep the rest of the districts 60/40 vote for you/don't vote for you
Not a bad video about how it works.

http://wapo.st/1XLi1hT

There was even a video game to demonstrate it at one point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pages back at this point, but whatever. At this point, after all she's had to endure, Katy Tur should walk on camera on the NBC/MSNBC election night feed the precise moment the race is called and just douse Lester Holt, Brian Williams, Rachel Maddow, and Chris Matthews in a comically oversized celebratory campaign bottle.

Just spay that fucker everywhere, drop it at their feet and walk off into the night, preferably flipping off the camera on the way out.

Same goes to Sopan Deb at CBS.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

This election has become totally ridiculous. The first female presidential candidate versus the first male repeat sex offender candidate. Actually, I bet some of those 18th and 19th century presidents did equally as bad things as Trump though 'twas probably considered good sport in those days.

I think Cleveland was actually the worst. He raped a woman and when she reported it he used his connections in NY State government to have her involuntarily committed to a mental institution.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I asked this the other day re: gerrymandering and off-year losses, but if we had the political power to amend the Constituion, would we be better off if Representstives were elected at the State level and all elections were on the same four-six year cycle?

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
Re House chat

House election projection is tough. Polling is limited. Gerrymandering increases the difficulty because it ensures you have a skewed population. Most +6/+8/+10/+* numbers you see are as assumption-laden as your physics class's Spherical Elephant. Assuming the demographicsdemographics haven't shifted, assuming relative turnout if groups remains the same, assuming there are no shifts in voting behavior... like the two examples I post compulsively: Hispanic voters, and suburban white women.

In case any need a refresh on gerrymandering:
The objective of Gerrymandering is to get as many reps with as few votes as possible (Michigan 2012). Side goals can be things like diluting minority voting power by splitting up Latino voters into different districts (TX always). As 30% of two districts, they're a powerhouse. As 10% of 6 districts? An afterthought.

Based on 2008/2012 turnout and dynamics, Dems need a +8-+10 advantage to take the house. But if the diluted Latino voters spike their participation (there are some indications they are), that number shrinks. If reliably conservative white women tell the party to gently caress off and vote Hillary without splitting their ticket, that number shrinks more. Or it could not matter. But I think there's a chance of it happening as low as +3 or +4. All depends on who and where those +3/+4 are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boner confessor posted:

All of the surrounding districts (the 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th) are also Democratic.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

So to sum up today, Donald Trump:

Now has multiple women accusing him of forcing him on them or groping them in exactly the same way as he described on tape;
Was filmed telling a ten-year old he would date her;
Has gone from "special prosecutor" to "will throw her in jail"
Told a crowd to vote 20 days after the election;
Is suing the newspaper whose name is on the seminal case for libel of a public figure;
Used to walk into teenage beauty pageants where fifteen-year olds were naked because he could;
Must be elected or otherwise Russia will deliver nuclear holocaust; and
Accused the Republican speaker of the house of a conspiracy against him.

And Ted Cruz is still endorsing him. :allears:

That Cheeto Sky prediction is looking disturbingly plausible. Are we doomed?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, the internets might not be big enough to absorb all of tonight's fuel for a holy Trumpsterfire.

If we're good though, we might be able to squeeze a a few more characters in.

But only if we sacrifice more keystorkes to the Sacred Cheetoman.

Since it is late, let us hold dusty hands and pray together:

Tweet, Trump, Tweet!

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Okay so here’s an effortpost about Mormonism. If you’re tired of Mormon chat scroll away, hopefully this is interesting to at least someone.
To start, I know there’s a lot of different opinions re: Mormonism and its value to society. I’m not interested in discussing that but feel free if you want.
To provide a little background. I’m an active Mormon. I do not live in Utah, so I can’t provide too much insight into local politics there, but I do have a lot of friends from there. I grew up in a progressive state and have always considered myself liberal. Registered democrat, voted for Sen. Sanders in the primary but am firmly With Her.
I want to talk a little bit about the different perspectives I’ve seen in my LDS friends and relatives regarding the election, and my theories for why LDS are doing what they’re doing this year. As with any largish group there are a diversity of opinions in Mormondom. I’ve noticed a few broad groups of similarly-thinking people, across the political spectrum, and I’ll discuss each briefly. This list is by no means exhaustive.

Progressive Mormons
There’s a small but growing group of LDS who are politically and socially liberal. Common views among this group include a disbelief in the prosperity gospel, belief that homosexuality and marriage equality are not sins, and concerns for social justice issues in the US and elsewhere. This obviously makes their position on 2016 pretty clear—regardless of Trump’s moral failings, they believe that the Republican Party platform is inherently immoral and would vote D pretty much no matter what. From what I can tell, people in this group tended to vote Clinton in the primary, but I’m not 100% sure.
Here are a few short essays from a progressive Mormon group blog, regarding Clinton and Trump:
https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/10/11/why-im-voting-for-hillary-clinton/
https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/08/23/how-mormons-could-matter-the-machiavellian-case-for-dumping-trump/

My 50-year-old Mormon Mother posted:

Honestly tho any vote not for Hillary is just stupid imho

Orthodox Millenial-to-Middle Age
This is probably the group that I have the most contact with, because that’s my demographic. This is the relatively small group of young Mormon adults who stay active in the church (about 25% of young Mormons generally). They tend to be quite culturally conservative, and tend to limit exposure to different points of view by a) attending BYU and b) marrying early. This group tends (and this is again a vast generalization) to be of the “both sides equally bad” camp. Of my Mormon Facebook friends that fall in this group, they’re split pretty much 50/50 between Johnson and McMullin. Interestingly, I’ve seen the same people post stuff favoring both McMullin and Johnson, which suggests to me that they don’t particularly care about policy, just having someone other than Trump.
This is the position represented by the recent Deseret News editorial condemning Trump—they dislike Trump, but can’t imagine voting for a Democrat.
Here’s a representative quote image posted by one of these guys. The guy quoted was President of the Church in the 80s—before that he was Reagan’s secretary of Agriculture.
[img] https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...787&oe=586569A2[/img]

Boomers and other reluctant Trumpists
This is basically older, orthodox Mormons who’re largely racist, sexist, homophobic, and islamophobic. Even they don’t tend to like Trump very much, because he’s rude, but will likely be voting for him in November. They tend to care mostly about ARE GUNS and taxes, and believe everything people tell them about the evils of Hillary Clinton. They recognize that Trump is morally corrupt, but are so scared of the pluralism they think Clinton will usher in that they’re willing to vote R anyways.
Here’s a longish diatribe (sorry) that one of these guys shared via Facebook. A Mormon’s justification for voting trump:

Old Racist Lady posted:

I have seen so many of my religious Mormon friends and a few but not so many of my non denominational Christian friends talk of the need to "FEEL" good about their vote. In essence they are not voting Trump because they are "VOTING THEIR CONSCIENCE". Which through my observation seems to mean 1- writing someone in, 2-voting a 3rd party, or 3-not voting at the top of the ticket but voting for state and local offices...and I say, to each his own. But here's my take on VOTING MY CONSCIENCE
My conscience tells me that I need to vote for Trump. Yes, I FEEL GOOD about voting for him. The fact is Hillary if she wins will nominate judges who are activist, who will legislate a liberal agenda that will probably seal the chance of us ever having an opportunity to swing back to more conservative principles. A vote for anyone BUT Trump is a vote for her to win. It's a vote for the most progressive liberal agenda in history to win, for the Clinton Machine to win, for establishment and elites that have total DISDAIN for "Everyday Americans"(see wikileaks Podesta emails). I realize Trump is flawed, but honestly examine if that disqualifies all of his achievements and skills. Joseph Smith was flawed, Brigham Young was flawed, Alma was flawed, Alma the Younger and Sons of Mosiah were not only flawed, but the Book of Mormon says they were the "VILEST of sinners", and yet in primary don't we always talk about AMMON and how great he was and that he converted an entire nation? Paul, the great Paul of the New Testament where we get some of the most beautiful sermons of love and fellowship, how come we never talk about Saul, the Saul that came before Paul that was deeply flawed? There have been many men who ruled nobly who made MAJOR mistakes, King David-- who is still REVERED among Jews as one of the greatest beloved kings to ever live, had a guy killed so he could sleep with his wife Bathsheba. We make the mistake of thinking that because some people have flaws they are disqualified of service because of mistakes they have made. All this said, I am not voting for a religious leader, I have one: Thomas S. Monson, I am not voting for a Savior, I already have one, Jesus Christ. I am only voting for a man that flawed as he is, will uphold the constitution and our way of life, who believes in American Exceptionalism, who wants to bring jobs and prosperity back to this economy, who will lift up the middle class, who will lower taxes not raise them, who will fix our rising healthcare costS, not with another entitlement that we can't afford, but with real solutions of dissolving artificial lines and introducing competition to the insurance industry. I'm voting for someone who CAN AND WILL do these things because unlike any other candidate in our immediate lifetimes, he is not propped up, owned, or supported by SuperPACS, oil companies, pharmaeutical companies, insurance companies, big banks, and foreign banks. They do not own him and can't tell him what to do. His only special interest group will be the AMERICAN PEOPLE. But the most important thing behind all of these other issues is, once they are accomplished, it will help us take care of the most IMMORAL thing our country has done to us by stealing our wealth through a $20 TRILLION DEBT, that I hope and pray daily doesn't come due before we have a chance to pay off. Because if by some chance it comes due(and its set to come due next year I believe) and no other country want to buy our debt in this slumping economy, our children and our children's children will live in a state of POVERTY and CHAOS like the world has never seen. I don't know how much more close I can get to VOTING MY CONSCIENCE.
Hillary will not only be a disaster, she will be total destruction to our American way of life."

POC
Yes, there are nonwhite Mormons. There are not many, and I'm not one, so I can't say too much about this group, but I’m acquainted with some latin@ LDS, having served with many as a Mormon missionary. They hate trump and have hated him from the beginning. The political conservativism that is so central to white Mormonism is pretty much completely absent with them. Even among older people, I consistently see them posting pro-Obama and Clinton images.
Pretty dope video shared by a 60ish-year-old devout Mormon (this is a pretty pro-click, and doesn’t have anything to do with Mormonism): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9cg6upPESE

So anyways, those are the major LDS “voting blocs” that I’m familiar with.
As a final note, I’ve noticed a lot of hypothesizing regarding why it is that white Mormons are leaning away from Trump this election. A lot of people think that it’s because we’re a religious minority ourselves, or that going on foreign missions makes us more empathetic to immigrants. This might be true (and the church as an organization explicitly condemned many of Trump’s immigration policies and has called for Mormons to do more to help refugees), but I don’t buy that it’s the only reason. I could be very wrong, and I don’t speak for all Mormons, but I think it really just has to do with Trump’s tone. Mormons are taught from a young age that being directly confrontational and getting angry in arguments is wrong. 3 Nephi 11:29, in the Book of Mormon, says “For verily, verily I say unto you, he that hath the spirit of acontention is not of me, but is of the bdevil, who is the father of contention, and he stirreth up the hearts of men to contend with anger, one with another.”
Mormons prefer their political candidates like Mitt Romney or Mike Pence—able to articulate their bullshit in a calm, reasonable manner. Trump goes directly against that grain, and I think that’s really the main reason he’s getting such a relatively cold reception from the Mormon community.

If anyone has questions, I’ll probably be up for the next couple of hours.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

This election has become totally ridiculous. The first female presidential candidate versus the first male repeat sex offender candidate. Actually, I bet some of those 18th and 19th century presidents did equally as bad things as Drumpf though 'twas probably considered good sport in those days.

let me tell you a little something about thomas jefferson.....

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Actually, I bet some of those 18th and 19th century presidents did equally as bad things as Trump though 'twas probably considered good sport in those days.

oh wait sorry poo poo i posted the wrong 20th century president, hold on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't know the nitty gritty details, but he teaches at a low income school thats minority majority + a really high number of muslim students, and Trump was just too toxic. With everything around him, they didn't even want to have some kind of election that was propping him up in any way, the way you would give some token dignity to anyone running for the office usually.

Romney was horrible as well, but you could at least have kids look at him and show token respect as a responsible adult running for this important job.

• Locked thread