Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sigma-X posted:

The io9 article linked has plenty of comments if you want a non-magical hot take.

Spoiler Alert: You really don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

I retract my earlier statement please dish the judge gossip.

The io9 article linked has plenty of comments if you want a non-magical hot take.

There's no judge gossip, just lots of people gushing support.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/31803 (Metallurgic Summonings)

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/31862 (Electrostatic Pummeler)

What the heck is going on? Who are the stupid people spiking these cards?

Also to keep it in theme, here's my weeb card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pummeler has shown up in decks online.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I got to curve Panharmonicon into the guy that makes thopters into Marionette Master last night and it was loving glorious

My opponent alpha striked me to his death.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Samael posted:

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/31803 (Metallurgic Summonings)

http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/31862 (Electrostatic Pummeler)

What the heck is going on? Who are the stupid people spiking these cards?

Also to keep it in theme, here's my weeb card.

Summonings is a good card. S-olive may have not got the right 75 yet but that deck might be really good if radiant flames turns out to be good.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Sickening posted:

Summonings is a good card. S-olive may have not got the right 75 yet but that deck might be really good if radiant flames turns out to be good.

I personally think UB zombies is going to be the break-out deck. Smuggler's Copter gives it another layer of depth to the old build and it was played at GP london at the standard side events and destroyed me and my friends every time we saw it across from each other. The interaction between Smuggler's Copter, Voldaren Pariah, Cryptbreaker, Relentless Dead and Prized Amalgam are very powerful in standard.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

His build looks super fun regardless.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

His build looks super fun regardless.

All his builds look super fun, that's why the bulk rares in them spike in price.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Do people not understand the Pummeler deck yet? I don't really get why people are confused by why this card is being played:

You play Pummeler, then you play Larger than Life to make it 5/5 and trampley, and then activate its energy ability 2 or 3 times and swing for 20 and hope nobody ever disrupts your combo. It plays Blossoming Defense to try and get around removal, but you basically just have to naturally draw Pummeler and all of the cards that support it because unlike that Atarka Red Battle Rage combo, the deck can't even really profitably attack without Voltaic Brawler or Pummeler.

If they draw every good card (e.g. they draw 3 lands, Voltaic Brawler, Blossoming Defense and Larger than Life) you can't beat it but in my experience, most of the time you get three for one'd by removal unless you have Blossoming Defense. You just have to randomly have all of those cards in your opening hand.

People like swinging for 50 even if its obviously a total glass cannon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Do people not understand the Pummeler deck yet? I don't really get why people are confused by why this card is being played:

You play Pummeler, then you play Larger than Life to make it 5/5 and trampley, and then activate its energy ability 2 or 3 times and swing for 20 and hope nobody ever disrupts your combo. It plays Blossoming Defense to try and get around removal, but you basically just have to naturally draw Pummeler and all of the cards that support it because unlike that Atarka Red Battle Rage combo, the deck can't even really profitably attack without Voltaic Brawler or Pummeler.

If they draw every good card (e.g. they draw 3 lands, Voltaic Brawler, Blossoming Defense and Larger than Life) you can't beat it but in my experience, most of the time you get three for one'd by removal unless you have Blossoming Defense. You just have to randomly have all of those cards in your opening hand.

People like swinging for 50 even if its obviously a total glass cannon.

So bascially I should sell any Pummelers I might have now and not later.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Count Bleck posted:

If you think that sounds like a competitive deck, I guess you can keep them around. I've lost to it before, but I've also lost to all sorts of goofball brews and play my own goofball brews to some wins.

Do I think its good? No, its a fragile combo that gets bombed out by decks that play removal. That doesn't mean you can't win at FNM with it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Pretty much.

I don't play enough standard to really weigh in but it's fragile and even with a large number of support cards there are likely to be better energy sinks in Aether Revolt. This requires going all in a bit harder than just hitting people with brawlers and young cubs all day.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

There's already a better energy sink, it's called Marvel.

It lets me cast Eldrazi Titans on turn 4.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah but, like, for the same energy investment this thing becomes 4/4!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I agree, I should have clarified that I meant aggro sinks.

The marvel deck looks really fun and makes me want to play standard.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
take a day off the thread and come back to find fuckin anime in the thread title

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm kinda pissed that people are actually playing the mavel deck... Kinda seems a lot worse when people are ready for it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chandra feels like an awesome card in a delirium/ramp deck going for World Breakers and Emrakul. I feel like she's gone from being overrated to underrated.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Angry Grimace posted:

Chandra feels like an awesome card in a delirium/ramp deck going for World Breakers and Emrakul. I feel like she's gone from being overrated to underrated.

she is def better than the new chandra.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Completely agree. I thought it was a ramp card from the beginning.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I'm kinda pissed that people are actually playing the mavel deck... Kinda seems a lot worse when people are ready for it.

I'm absolutely loving peoples' reactions to it when I play them and turn 4 an Eldrazi Titan. I think if there's a decent even half-real control deck it's going to be a lot harder to play a Marvel deck, because part of the fun is that you can simply run out a turn 4 Marvel and not worry about it being countered game one. No one is playing artifact removal maindeck because most of what they want to kill are already going to be creatures (Vehicles) and so creature removal is where it's at. I'm running the version from the SCG Open where it only plays 4 Ulamog, 4 Emrakul, but I want to put in at least one Ishkanah. The decks that don't run 4 green Puzzleknot and 4 blue Puzzleknot seem odd to me, there's plenty of times where the blue Puzzleknot has been crucial in setting up a Marvel or even just making sure I draw a Marvel. I almost never want to be drawing cards because there's a chance I can wind up with a hand full of Eldrazi Titans. Perpetual Timepiece isn't good enough to shuffle them back in.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

BJPaskoff posted:

The decks that don't run 4 green Puzzleknot and 4 blue Puzzleknot seem odd to me, there's plenty of times where the blue Puzzleknot has been crucial in setting up a Marvel or even just making sure I draw a Marvel.

It's because non-puzzleknot energy solutions do better against aggro decks. You can have four puzzleknots and four thriving turtles maindeck, and then cut the ones inappropriate to your matchup in game 2.

mcmagic posted:

The Marvel deck is fun. The Aether Resovoir deck is fun. Trains are fun, too. I'm not going to play a three color deck full of top tier creatures and removal and call it a day, I'm going to live a man's romance of a stupid combo, thank you very much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm absolutely loving peoples' reactions to it when I play them and turn 4 an Eldrazi Titan. I think if there's a decent even half-real control deck it's going to be a lot harder to play a Marvel deck, because part of the fun is that you can simply run out a turn 4 Marvel and not worry about it being countered game one. No one is playing artifact removal maindeck because most of what they want to kill are already going to be creatures (Vehicles) and so creature removal is where it's at. I'm running the version from the SCG Open where it only plays 4 Ulamog, 4 Emrakul, but I want to put in at least one Ishkanah. The decks that don't run 4 green Puzzleknot and 4 blue Puzzleknot seem odd to me, there's plenty of times where the blue Puzzleknot has been crucial in setting up a Marvel or even just making sure I draw a Marvel. I almost never want to be drawing cards because there's a chance I can wind up with a hand full of Eldrazi Titans. Perpetual Timepiece isn't good enough to shuffle them back in.

The problem with Puzzleknots is that playing cards that have no effect on the board at all is rarely good even in constructed. Neither energy, scry or lifegain actually do much when you're facing down a couple Toolcrafters and a Roflcopter.

That was why I started playing GR - if you play a delirium version World Breaker and Emrakul are live cards. I still have the green one in my Marvel deck but honestly I think Marvel itself isn't quite there and started playing a straight Delirium/Ramp deck with the same payoff cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 13, 2016

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

black potus posted:

The average magic player is terrified of all four major forms of interaction:
3) Making eye contact with your opponent
4) The color blue

3) I can only use one eye for this one
4) I am only scared of this one :(

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Saffron Olive's 5-color Panharmonicon deck looks like the funnest thing you could possibly be doing in standard.

Cue $10 Panharmonicons

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-five-color-panharmonicon

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I mean, nobody is going to accuse me of hating on Aetherworks Marvel, but the problem with decks featuring the card is clear and obvious - it has a great payoff, but you just lose when you don't draw Aetherworks Marvel and the deck absolutely gets flattened by anyone with any kind of gameplan against Aetherworks Marvel.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

Saffron Olive's 5-color Panharmonicon deck looks like the funnest thing you could possibly be doing in standard.

Cue $10 Panharmonicons

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-five-color-panharmonicon

Panharmonicon made my Brago EDH deck 10x as fun.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've been testing out Oblivion Sower in Aetherworks Marvel. Helps ramp to actually cast some of your targets if you don't find a Marvel. That and the Crane to help dig a bit (but man does it ever whif a lot)

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Sigma-X posted:

Pretty much.

I don't play enough standard to really weigh in but it's fragile and even with a large number of support cards there are likely to be better energy sinks in Aether Revolt. This requires going all in a bit harder than just hitting people with brawlers and young cubs all day.

Hilarious:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172373274749?rmvSB=true

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:wtc:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

:speculate: is alive and well in tyool 2016 I guess?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, nobody is going to accuse me of hating on Aetherworks Marvel, but the problem with decks featuring the card is clear and obvious - it has a great payoff, but you just lose when you don't draw Aetherworks Marvel and the deck absolutely gets flattened by anyone with any kind of gameplan against Aetherworks Marvel.

I've won alot of these games by siding in the 1G Fog spell. If I can live one or two more turns and hit a Marvel or activate it that's the key to turning the match around. It's also really great against the aggro decks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

And here I was feeling bad about opening 3 foil pummelers, now to sell them immediately.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Saffron Olive is a genius.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Some people at my LGS play in a sealed league. They open their pools, register them*, and play some matches. Then after a designated amount of matches, they all buy another pack and add that to their pool. Does anyone have any experience running these things, and can give me any tips? Some friends and I want to try it out.

* They just register the rares and sometimes uncommons, but I feel like I'd need to have people register their entire pool or people would complain.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Some people at my LGS play in a sealed league. They open their pools, register them*, and play some matches. Then after a designated amount of matches, they all buy another pack and add that to their pool. Does anyone have any experience running these things, and can give me any tips? Some friends and I want to try it out.

* They just register the rares and sometimes uncommons, but I feel like I'd need to have people register their entire pool or people would complain.

We did one where you could play three matches a week and three tiebreakers. The tiebreaker matches were scored as .1 for a win and the regular ones one point (I think since there were no draws). Worked out ok.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

I've won alot of these games by siding in the 1G Fog spell. If I can live one or two more turns and hit a Marvel or activate it that's the key to turning the match around. It's also really great against the aggro decks.

In the online meta you play the Pummeler deck enough I board that in also. It's the funniest blowout because they trade their big dude for a Gnarlwood Dryad and I take 0 damage and they have no more cards.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

We do a chaos sealed league a couple times a year that lasts a month. Everyone has to leave their box of sealed cards at the store to help prevent cheating, and we also ante a random nonland card each match as well. Tends to favor those who can show up the most though since it's point based, 3 points for a win and 1 for a loss.

Every loss, you get 2 "pack points", 1 for every win. At 10 pack points you can buy a new pack of whatever they have, and on Wednesday you can buy a new pack as well. It's actually pretty popular and fun when they do it. The store owner spends a month trying to get cool old packs before it starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Fingers McLongDong posted:

We do a chaos sealed league a couple times a year that lasts a month. Everyone has to leave their box of sealed cards at the store to help prevent cheating, and we also ante a random nonland card each match as well. Tends to favor those who can show up the most though since it's point based, 3 points for a win and 1 for a loss.

Every loss, you get 2 "pack points", 1 for every win. At 10 pack points you can buy a new pack of whatever they have, and on Wednesday you can buy a new pack as well. It's actually pretty popular and fun when they do it. The store owner spends a month trying to get cool old packs before it starts.

This sounds really cool! But right now I think I want to do a simple Kaladesh sealed league. Maybe:

Three matches a week, 3 points per win, 1 point per loss.
The winner gets some prize I put up or something, I don't know. I don't think I want to have an entry fee just yet.
Four weeks long, because after ten packs the decks will probably start to look like block constructed.

• Locked thread