Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Github is free, so why not. Sounds great!

Yeah I think I created it so I'll be uploading there soon. The file's currently in a shared Dropbox folder so there'll be some copying, but Git is probably the best for long-term practice reasons as well so might as well.

This doesn't have the actual v1.0 in it yet, but it should be the right link for now: https://github.com/serperoth/Star-Wars-RPG-Discord-Dice-Bot

Actual file to be uploaded shortly.

It's up, same link. Should be "swdicebot - nologin.js". Not the final version, still doesn't support Orokos style rolling, but with the functions in place it should be easy to implement.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I was looking for a way to avoid having to buy gobs more physical dice to construct pools, and came across a nice dice roller. http://game2.ca/eote/

Might be nice for the OP? It can pull from random.org if you're nervous about probability of monte carlo calculations, as well as spit out probabilities of a given result on your die pool.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm coming to loathe the Influence F&D tree. One of my players got the second Control upgrade that allows you to add your Force check to a charm/negotiation/etc check and is just steamrolling everything with some really lucky force dice rolls. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that this character is basically purely charm and negotiation and tries to do a charm or negotiation on EVERY NPC. If an NPC is anything but openly cooperating with every request the players make it's "I'm going to try and Charm him".

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate my players working a more social angle instead of blasting everything and the idea of a Force-backed smooth talker makes a lot of sense, it's just really really annoying.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mortanis posted:

I'm coming to loathe the Influence F&D tree. One of my players got the second Control upgrade that allows you to add your Force check to a charm/negotiation/etc check and is just steamrolling everything with some really lucky force dice rolls. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that this character is basically purely charm and negotiation and tries to do a charm or negotiation on EVERY NPC. If an NPC is anything but openly cooperating with every request the players make it's "I'm going to try and Charm him".

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate my players working a more social angle instead of blasting everything and the idea of a Force-backed smooth talker makes a lot of sense, it's just really really annoying.

Just enforcing your will on everyone you come across is probably grounds for getting conflict and poo poo if your party cares about that. You can also probably point out that I don't think people forget what happened if he just used the force to get them to do something way off base. Is there a time period you're setting this in cause I don't know that people are super happy with evil jedi mind controlling people in general.

Or you could just talk to him and ask him about why hes doing it obviously.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Mortanis posted:

The issue I have in other games (I haven't had it in Star Wars yet because I'm still building the campaign and haven't actually started running it yet) is that players often ignore secondary effects. Sure, you avoided paying that person the debt you owe all those times. But. Now they're sore about it, and hold a grudge. And soon they'll get a reputation as people that avoid paying debts. And they'll be trusted by less people. NPCs will start with a greater degree of mistrust to overcome. Some NPCs will be resistant or full-out immune to Force powers. A Hutt who decides they're the smooth talkers he NEEDS might set up an offer they can't refuse, delivered by a droid they can't manipulate. If they piss off the wrong person, they might end up with a bounty on their heads.

As a general rule, I tell players this: I don't like players trying to exploit places where the system is weak and a strategy is overpowered or broken. If you abuse the system for an advantage, the universe will slap you with karmic backlash. It will be within the rules, and it will be aimed directly at you. Don't be cheesy, and I won't cover you in stinky cheese.

So far, nobody has tried to test this twice.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I started that discussion and the party agreed that on an individual basis getting a random seller to be freer with the credits or convincing a barkeep to divulge the name of an important quest NPC isn't, of itself, negative and worth Conflict; a character that basically mind whammies every NPC they talk to with every roll IS, though.

It's a new player, and one that's the sort that needs to enthusiastically offer a suggestion to EVERY situation/scene/encounter, even when there's other avenues that other players might offer. And the other players kinda want to encourage them to speak up and think outside the box so it's a hard situation.

The bit about remembering is interesting and something I should think about. I like that quite a bit.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's good that a player wants to participate and offer ideas, just don't be afraid to tell them that there are some things that you can't realistically charm people into doing.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Other than them brainwashing the wrong person and ending up with an Inquisitorial strike team on their tracks, all the while racking up conflict for bending all to your will for nothing, remember that the Star Wars has no shortage of Force Immune races.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

Other than them brainwashing the wrong person and ending up with an Inquisitorial strike team on their tracks, all the while racking up conflict for bending all to your will for nothing, remember that the Star Wars has no shortage of Force Immune races.

Not even force immune, just a very disciplined mind doesnt give a gently caress about your hokey religion.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

True, but that's what nemesis and rival dices are for and you can't slap them on everyone.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

wiegieman posted:

It's good that a player wants to participate and offer ideas, just don't be afraid to tell them that there are some things that you can't realistically charm people into doing.

Also, it's good that a player wants to participate and offer ideas, but they do need to learn to take a step back and let other people do their things/have their moments. The omnipresence of single-player computer RPGs only further encourages some people to treat tabletop RPGs as single-player experiences with player-controlled NPCs in the party. Sometimes, though, you just have players caught up in the excitement of the game and their own thoughts about it. Either way, they have to learn to cede the spotlight to others for a better game.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
To be fair, someone who is literally mindraping his way across the Galaxy is pretty bad, even if he doesn't make them do anything bad, per se.

Look at Killgrave in Jessica Jones. Minus the callous disregard for humans, that's basically what your player is doing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Orokos functionality is now a thing in the bot! And it's pretty flexible, in that it doesn't matter what's between the amount of dice and the type of die. 10dA is the same as 10A is the same as 10SerperothIsCoolA.

Code on the github to be updated shortly. Still probably needs bugfixing and the like, I noticed today that one line in the Force dice was set to increase failure rather than dark, but I'm confident it's at least serviceable 99% of the time.

EDIT: Code updated. Please, check it out and let me know if you see anything. This is the guide I used to get it going, by the way, all you need is Node.js, and a Discord bot token.

EDIT2: I'm also keeping it running as long as my PC and Discord are on on this server for testing: https://discord.gg/HwrrhPQ

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2016

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

wiegieman posted:

I had a player who tried to charm everything. In many cases, it just meant that the villains found him likable, but were still willing to attack him if he directly opposed their interests. And then shake their fists and smile when he got away. You know, like a Mentos commercial.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Yeah, I need to remember passing a Charm check doesn't mean a switch has been flipped and suddenly their disposition is all sunshine and rainbows. They might be more willing to drop a tidbit of information or sell something for cheaper, but it's not a magic "give me what I want" roll here.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Just because they pass a charm check doesn't mean they can get everything they want. Just give them something less than what the ask for. For example "You seen like a friendly fellow but these droids ain't free and I've got a family to support. Look I'll tell you what, you buy these 2 droids and I'll throw in this power cable at no extra charge."

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

nelson posted:

Just because they pass a charm check doesn't mean they can get everything they want. Just give them something less than what the ask for. For example "You seen like a friendly fellow but these droids ain't free and I've got a family to support. Look I'll tell you what, you buy these 2 droids and I'll throw in this power cable at no extra charge."

This is totally true. A savvy NPC might offer them bonus stuff for free, but only if they also get more stuff total. "I know you said you wanted just one blaster, but if you get a second blaster then I'll give you a deal on power packs."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nelson posted:

hahah that would be so good, especially if the parts/cables are almost totally useless, unless they can pull off other checks to jury-rig whatever they use it with. Like they're given a box of actual VGA cables, etc. that have no real use to anyone whatsoever, ("I can't give you a bigger discount, but tell you what, I'll give you this box of tangled-up cables, etc. that you might find handy") and their technician PC only might be able to use them for jury-rigging, but will likely work once at best, before sparks fly and the wiring melts. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Made a minor update to the dice roller, now it should be outputting the triumph/despair results as well, and with that I think that all the basic stuff is done.

Next up on the table is making it a bit more flexible, accepting (for example) lower case letters for the dice, etc. So far my plan is to include lower case, and see if something can happen with colours (Black, blUe, Green, Purple, Red, Yellow, White, none of them conflict with the other ones I think), if anyone uses that. If there are any single-letter 'shortcuts' to dice that aren't just the first letter of the die, let me know and I'd be happy to put them in, as long as they don't conflict with anything else.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Serperoth posted:

Made a minor update to the dice roller, now it should be outputting the triumph/despair results as well, and with that I think that all the basic stuff is done.

Next up on the table is making it a bit more flexible, accepting (for example) lower case letters for the dice, etc. So far my plan is to include lower case, and see if something can happen with colours (Black, blUe, Green, Purple, Red, Yellow, White, none of them conflict with the other ones I think), if anyone uses that. If there are any single-letter 'shortcuts' to dice that aren't just the first letter of the die, let me know and I'd be happy to put them in, as long as they don't conflict with anything else.

Awesome work! Totally gonna try this thing out later.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Awesome work! Totally gonna try this thing out later.

Let me know what you think, any issues and whatnot and situations from actual play.

There's a !help command that should help out a bit as well, even if it's pretty basic.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Let me know what you think, any issues and whatnot and situations from actual play.

There's a !help command that should help out a bit as well, even if it's pretty basic.

Really nice work, I'm going to give a try tonight and set it up. Will be able to get someone to try out this system now since ive got that one guy who doesnt like roll20.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

kingcom posted:

Really nice work, I'm going to give a try tonight and set it up. Will be able to get someone to try out this system now since ive got that one guy who doesnt like roll20.

If you setup a room, link it. I'll hop on and test with you.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm in the process of setting up an EotE game, and want to give my players an info sheet about the planet I'm setting it on, like the folio pages included in the rule books.

Does anyone have a template/generator for making something that looks like the one in the book? Or will I just have to wing it and hope that I can make something halfway decent?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Start by breaking your planet down to concepts, and then figuring what kind of sentient life would be inhabiting it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Oh, sorry, I meant for presenting it visually. All the info I'm fine with working out (though that's a solid starting point, so I will definitely do that)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Wing it as some kind of info bulletin they pick up by landing. It give them local weather, t°, possible natural hasards, and a bref run down of what's happening today here.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I made a planet folio template for an old game I ran a long time ago: https://i.imgur.com/sisLLNn.jpg and just filled in the details using an appropriate font.

I've also got a big compilation of the planet folios if you'd rather see if your planet is one of those. PM me.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Awesome, thanks! Sent you a PM.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Iceclaw posted:

Wing it as some kind of info bulletin they pick up by landing. It give them local weather, t°, possible natural hasards, and a bref run down of what's happening today here.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of in-universe "Welcome to sunny Tattooine!"-style info sheets.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Splicer posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of in-universe "Welcome to sunny Tattooine!"-style info sheets.

It's Always Sunny On Tatooine.

The Gang Buys Used Robots.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Re: Players being all Voldemort with mind tricks - dark side the poo poo out of that. Remember, the dark side is "the quick and easy path", and mind-loving everyone you come across instead of trying to come to a conclusion fair to all parties is unquestionably a dark side amount of shortcutting. I've always viewed light and dark side as less a morality spectrum and more a giving a poo poo spectrum. Light side is taking the time and effort to do things the right way with the fewest ripples, dark side is being sloppy and lazy and just Hulk smashing your way through life. So if a sentence starts with, "gently caress it, I'm just going to (lightning/mind rape/choke a bitch)...", it's time to start adding conflict. Also, it's blatant as hell, if not as blatant as throwing lightning bolts and levitating stuff around, so I'd definitely have gentlemen in white plastic suits urgently inquiring as to their whereabouts after the first couple of stops where they throw the force around that casually.

I've started up a small EotE game over Fantasy Grounds, which actually has a pretty neat Star Wars plugin with a dice roller, combat tracker, NPCs pre-statted from the books, etc. I'm hoping it'll work out pretty smoothly. I made an opening crawl for it here.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I talked with the Influence-laden player in question and I think we came to an understanding, which is great. She's not going to be throwing around Influence on every check, mostly because we talked and she decided it's out of character for her hippy "spread the love around man" character to be fudging people's brains up.

"I'm only going to use it for emergencies, I think."

That exact same session another player's Obligation came up, a player with a pretty big bounty on their head. With a series of poor rolls, the bounty hunter is closing in on the party at the same time Cloud City's Winged Guards are. A three way discussion and standoff ensues, and the Influence-happy character IMMEDIATELY steps in to Influence the captain of the Winged Guards to be a little more antagonistic when dealing with the Bounty Hunter. I upgrade a purple to a red, of course.

Despair.

The captain immediately realizes he's being manipulated and calls in for backup to help with the "jedi". Before things get too far out of hand our party charmer (Smuggler) steps up to try and smooth things over and convince the captain that maybe what he thought happened didn't really happen.

Despair.

"Look, I know she's a Jedi, but she's one of the good ones, okay?"

Captain naturally freaks the gently caress out, hysteria ensues as the party scatters every direction trying to flee while also keeping the bounty hunter from finding their quarry.

All in all a successful game if I say so myself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's Always Sunny On Tatooine.

The Gang Buys Used Robots.
Darkside
Nooooooo
Fighters of the Lightside
Nooooooo
Champion of the Sith
Nooooooo
You're the master of the Deathstar
With force chokes
For everyone

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mortanis posted:

"Look, I know she's a Jedi, but she's one of the good ones, okay?"

Captain naturally freaks the gently caress out, hysteria ensues as the party scatters every direction trying to flee while also keeping the bounty hunter from finding their quarry.

All in all a successful game if I say so myself.

Did they gently caress up enough to warrant an Inquisitor? :getin:

I mean, even if you don't like the Rebels version, there is always the classic WEG take and this guy:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I mean, even if you don't like the Rebels version

lol if you dont like the rebels version

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

kingcom posted:

lol if you dont like the rebels version

Some people don't for some reason. :shrug: I mean yeah the "inquisicopter" was a bit of a shark jump, but otherwise I've enjoyed them. Though I'm disappointed Jason Isaac's didn't last longer.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Some people don't for some reason. :shrug: I mean yeah the "inquisicopter" was a bit of a shark jump, but otherwise I've enjoyed them. Though I'm disappointed Jason Isaac's didn't last longer.

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot about that lol. I was just thinking on Inquisitor 1.0 who was a legit fantastic villain.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, that was a bit silly, but then we got to see them getting chumped by Darth Maul, and that was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

kingcom posted:

Oh poo poo yeah I forgot about that lol. I was just thinking on Inquisitor 1.0 who was a legit fantastic villain.

Yeah. The Season 2 Inquisitors were terrible. One of them didn't even get a face, he was that pointless.