Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
http://www.bloodbowl.com/getting-started/

Is this new? 24 dudes, snap fit and in different color so you can put it together and play right away. Dangerous close to prepainted non-hobby stuff, GW...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fnordcircle posted:

Is this new? 24 dudes, snap fit and in different color so you can put it together and play right away. Dangerous close to prepainted non-hobby stuff, GW...

Yep, that's new. Double sided pitch for each teae? Team dice? Team specific dugouts? Cards for the players? What is this heresy?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 13, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

Well, in the "GW is bad" news they did upscale it so you can't use your throw templates between pitches and the new 32mm bases aren't going to fit on the old pitch.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

LordAba posted:

Well, in the "GW is bad" news they did upscale it so you can't use your throw templates between pitches and the new 32mm bases aren't going to fit on the old pitch.

If you bought the new one, though, it would just make more sense to use the new pitch and templates with the old models, anyways. Outside of having made your own custom pitches, of course.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I made my own pitch and I'd be pretty happy with a foldable one I can transport easily. :shrug: Templates are also a bonus. I have like five custom teams built out of WHFB kits (a byproduct of AoS killing my armies) and while I have an in-progress human team, I never got around to orcs so I'm in it for the models too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fnordcircle posted:

They've shown it off before, but the website and video are new

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

I checked and they're OOP and now I'm sad :saddowns:

You're not the only one.
If I could find a source for "good" or at least approximately decent sci fi tanks in that general style, I might put some cash out for one or two.
As it is, all I can think of is to try to think of a way to pick the least offensive tank hull (Chimera? No?) and start bashing it into other things.

Of course given that DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY, that either means ebay, or never wasting my time or money on the idea in the first place, and just enjoying my new infinity ariadna SAS CRAP cheese force of caledonians (I'll consider the USARF as well because devil dogs, and some basic troopers that have actual armour).

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

spectralent posted:

D&D is also bad at jokes.

Also DBL's female soviets are good but are also constantly out of stock :smith:

They're back!

Well, at the weekend. I had two switch mouldmakers and casters, and a load of moulds had to be remade. It's a long story! But all sorted now, and even better!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Remember, large Blood Bowl units, like minotaurs and steam rollers, barely fit onto the old pitch squares anyway. I initially assumed those units occupied multiple squares, but it turns out they didn't. A larger pitch is actually kind of a good thing. Now let's check out that price tag...

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Also...

Should be up for pre release end of the month, all sculpted by Shane Hoyle of Ex GW fame.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Remember, large Blood Bowl units, like minotaurs and steam rollers, barely fit onto the old pitch squares anyway. I initially assumed those units occupied multiple squares, but it turns out they didn't. A larger pitch is actually kind of a good thing. Now let's check out that price tag...

Dreadball had the same problem. I had to pay some Spanish guy to make me a bigger pitch mat.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

What was the last Bad thing GW did? Setting aside the FFG partnership falling through, because no one knows what actually happened there. It's been a while, hasn't it? What if GW has turned into just a company that produces overpriced miniatures for poorly designed games?

What if the constant stream of absurd, short-sighted, and customer-insulting business decisions... is over?

is this guy Serious Gaylord?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rumors are going around that the teams you're able to build with the miniatures in the Blood Bowl starter box are apparently pretty poor composition:

Orruks Orks:
2 Black Orcs
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
6 Lineorcs

Hyuumins Humans:
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
2 Catchers
6 Linemen

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Guy Goodbody posted:

What was the last Bad thing GW did? Setting aside the FFG partnership falling through, because no one knows what actually happened there.

It really isn't hard to figure out that what happened wasn't some amicable parting of ways. FFG had to abruptly cut short a number of successful, and one assumes profitable, games because of their license arrangement suddenly being terminated such as the Conquest LCG and the 40K RPG line which had entered into a new set of editions in the not too distant past. An entire mostly-finished expansion for the Forbidden Stars boardgame had to be flushed down the toilet on the cusp of entering production because of it. FFG is responsible for releasing an as I understand it critically lauded new edition of GW's game Fury of Dracula which had been out of print for a while, and that's not even getting into everything else like the stillborn Warhammer Fantasy Adventure Card Game. There is literally no way that FFG just up and decided to throw all of that away on the spur of the moment. Games Workshop either decided to renegotiate such unfavorable terms to the arrangement that it was deemed more prudent to cut everything GW-related loose rather than attempt to ride it out or simply terminated the arrangement outright.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Drone posted:

Rumors are going around that the teams you're able to build with the miniatures in the Blood Bowl starter box are apparently pretty poor composition:

Orruks Orks:
2 Black Orcs
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
6 Lineorcs

Hyuumins Humans:
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
2 Catchers
6 Linemen

lol if you're not fielding max Blitzers :black101:

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On a semi-related note, what 28mm scale tanks/vehicles are there that are both good, and reasonably tanky as per the previous threads tank discussion?
Are there any that could conceivably hold 10 (or more) 28mm dudes from any given range, to act as APCs?
Or are we entering the realms of just saying gently caress it, and buying reasonably scaled airfix tanks (my implied question here being which scale to purchase such tanks at)?

So far, my quick searchs via google have led me to dead (Old Crow), or otherwise questionable (pig iron ironside?) tank sources for specifically sci fi tanks at 28mm (The Ironside is a brick that would probably fail completely as a tank, but comes with the dubious improvement of looking like it could actually stand a chance of containing ten marines/guard/neckbeards without too much difficulty).

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Drone posted:

Orruks Orks:
2 Black Orcs
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
6 Lineorcs

Hyuumins Humans:
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
2 Catchers
6 Linemen
That's not a rumor, they say that in the unboxing video. Those are also the same team compositions as in the old box.

A lot in that unboxing video reminded me of the bad stuff in Blood Bowl that really should have changed but apparently didn't, like the kick-off rules.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

TheDiceBagLady posted:

They're back!

Well, at the weekend. I had two switch mouldmakers and casters, and a load of moulds had to be remade. It's a long story! But all sorted now, and even better!

Out of curiosity, do you know any places that do 15mm female soviets? I know there's the Mariya Oktobryaska tank commander by battlefront and the downscaled 15mm medic in the PSC box but other than them I've had a lot of difficulty finding figures for padding out my soviets.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

mcjomar posted:

On a semi-related note, what 28mm scale tanks/vehicles are there that are both good, and reasonably tanky as per the previous threads tank discussion?
Are there any that could conceivably hold 10 (or more) 28mm dudes from any given range, to act as APCs?
Or are we entering the realms of just saying gently caress it, and buying reasonably scaled airfix tanks (my implied question here being which scale to purchase such tanks at)?

So far, my quick searchs via google have led me to dead (Old Crow), or otherwise questionable (pig iron ironside?) tank sources for specifically sci fi tanks at 28mm (The Ironside is a brick that would probably fail completely as a tank, but comes with the dubious improvement of looking like it could actually stand a chance of containing ten marines/guard/neckbeards without too much difficulty).

You can look for 1:48 scale tanks if they are to go with heroic sized 28mm miniatures. Or hell, if you're looking for things to go with 40K style minis, you could go directly to 1:35, and the number of available kits increase thousandfold.

A M113 is a way better looking Rhino than a Rhino, and a Saracen APC is a better looking Taurox than a Taurox, for example.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Atlas Hugged posted:

They didn't fit at all, they were generally based on 40mm square bases, but the thing is, the normal guys were based on 25mm round bases and most teams only had one big guy. The old BB board's squares measured roughly 30mm, so yea the big guys overlapped onto neighbouring squares, but the squares were big enough to accommodate them all.

The only issue was when you had lots of big guys all trying to punch each other to death.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You young punks and your griping. I remember BloodBowl when Big Guys took up 4 squares. :colbert:

Aside: it was what made my mummies so good - they were considered Big Guys but based on 25mm bases.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

You can look for 1:48 scale tanks if they are to go with heroic sized 28mm miniatures. Or hell, if you're looking for things to go with 40K style minis, you could go directly to 1:35, and the number of available kits increase thousandfold.

A M113 is a way better looking Rhino than a Rhino, and a Saracen APC is a better looking Taurox than a Taurox, for example.

I was considering this - I could probably give them enough 40k bits strapped to the top to confuse the average 40k player or "official" focussed employee/grog, while still leaving the model looking like something that is not crap.

This link is turning up some amusing ideas though - as is sticking 1/35 into the search bar also.
http://hlj.com/search/go?w=1%2F48

I gave the Gates of Antares vehicles a quick look as well, but honestly the aesthetic that line is using is mostly a bit miss more than hit, really. There's all of three hover vehicles that are examples of "close but no cigar" in miniatures design, while the rest aren't even that good, for my tastes. Probably still a better game than 40k though?

E: On a similar note, what 1/35 scale real tank would be a good replacement for the IG chimera, if I'm going to go the airfix kitbash route? I'm not really "up" on my tanks in terms of good APCs.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 13, 2016

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Also...

Should be up for pre release end of the month, all sculpted by Shane Hoyle of Ex GW fame.

Wait, is that an Aliens-style smart gun on there? Instapurchase...

Drone posted:

Orruks Orks:
2 Black Orcs
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
6 Lineorcs

Hyuumins Humans:
2 Blitzers
2 Throwers
2 Catchers
6 Linemen

Yeah, those are pretty terrible starting line-ups consdering 4 Black Orcs and 4 Blitzers is non-negotiable. Same with 4 Blitzers on the Human side.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

mcjomar posted:

Crosspost of mine from the Unspiration thread:

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I mentioned this many pages ago, but I finally visited my parents house so I took a photo.

It's my converted IG super-heavy tank from high school. As you can see it's just a 1/48 scale T-72 with a whole bunch of IG parts glued on. I never finished painting it.

It actually got a not-bad response there.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's a pretty good piece of work - I'd totally fight against that, because it's awesome.

Ok so my quick google-fu suggests the M113A2 makes for a reasonable rhino replacement, while the russian BMP-2 or -3 would be an acceptable (after conversions) Chimera replacement.

The Phobos (aka, rogue trader) land raider hull looks like it might be able to manage a reasonable number of troops inside the hull, but that's eyeballing the one I managed to rescue and repair for a tenner from a games show/day type thing at a second-hand stall.

I'm thinking I'll want to get shot of my old vindicator and predator on ebay (they're the old Mk1 hull, rather than the M113 inspired Mk2 hull) and replace them with more reasonable tank hulls.
The treads on the Mk1 would only really work on polite flat surfaces, which makes the original rhino hull worse (yes that's possible) than the current hull. Which is a small pity because I have a nostalgia-based soft spot for that thing. I'm still selling them on ebay though because I want to get at least some cash back.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 13, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

mcjomar posted:

a similar note, what 1/35 scale real tank would be a good replacement for the IG chimera, if I'm going to go the airfix kitbash route? I'm not really "up" on my tanks in terms of good APCs.

If you don't mind it having wheels instead of treads, the LAV25 or most BTRs (like the BTR-90) have similar silhouettes AFAIK. The idea of the chimera is pretty much a BTR with treads.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Funny you should mention that, because you can actually get a third-party wheel conversion kit for a Chimera:
http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=67

Of course, you're almost paying the full price of a Chimera in the first place for it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

glitchkrieg posted:

Yeah, those are pretty terrible starting line-ups consdering 4 Black Orcs and 4 Blitzers is non-negotiable. Same with 4 Blitzers on the Human side.

Its a two player starter - they're not going to give you optimal teams. Also rumor is that they'll be selling 4 more teams in plastic (Dwarf, Skaven, Pro elf and Nurgle) with resin teams and star players in the future. I'll tell you now that I bet those team boxes are not going to be optimal either.

Except Dwarf, who have precisely one team formation.

EDIT: Now with Dwarves!

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 13, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MrFlibble posted:

Its a two player starter - they're not going to give you optimal teams. Also rumor is that they'll be selling 4 more teams in plastic (Dwarf, Skaven, Pro elf and Nurgle) with resin teams and star players in the future. I'll tell you now that I bet those team boxes are not going to be optimal either.

Those helmets look a lot like Mantic dwarf helmets.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MrFlibble posted:

The website has the initial eight teams;

Dwarves
Elves (Might be all elves might not be, the picture is of a wood elf)
Lizardmen
Orks
Beastmen
Humans
Skaven
Goblins

There won't be campaign rules until the Death Zone expansion.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There won't be campaign rules until the Death Zone expansion.

Aren't campaign rules half the fun of Blood Bowl books anyway? Why wouldn't they just include that in the rulebook?

Oh, right. AoS didn't even have points until an expansion added them. I guess people who give Games Workshop money are at least lucky that they're getting a game with this box rather than a narrative-forging tool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MrFlibble posted:

Man the beard pogo stick guy is hilarious.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Those dwarves are hideous.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yes, they are dwarves. Well spotted.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like 'em. They aren't an Abomination unto God like the Fyreslayers so maybe I just have lower expectations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

MrFlibble posted:

I like 'em. They aren't an Abomination unto God like the Fyreslayers so maybe I just have lower expectations.

It's the hair I think. It's just so stupid.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm the dwarf tripping over he own beard. A shameful dwarf.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes, they are dwarves. Well spotted.

mods??

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

lilljonas posted:

If you don't mind it having wheels instead of treads, the LAV25 or most BTRs (like the BTR-90) have similar silhouettes AFAIK. The idea of the chimera is pretty much a BTR with treads.

Chimeras are missing a crucial feature of BTR's, which is doors in between the middle pair of wheels on either side. You're supposed to dismount from a BTR while it's still moving, inbetween the still moving wheels.

Yes, a lot of Soviet/Russian recruits got run over by their own BTRs in training why do you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's the hair I think. It's just so stupid.

The poses are weird to me too. I don't think of dwarfs as the kind of players that are getting airborne and leaping around, so having some of them like that throws me off. Also the guy to the left of the Beardspringer looks like he's just toppling over. Hopefully that's just a weird angle at work.

• Locked thread