Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

Rats they are sold out of the SNES cables. Hopefully they don't take a while to return in stock like the Dreamcast flashcart. Speaking of components, has anyone done the N64 mod for RGB yet?

My n64's been disassembled since I started and realized I needed to order an extra part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm assuming the EverDrive GBA X5 is a great cart? I've got a hankering to play a ton of old GBA games again, and throwing that in my GBA Micro seems like a great thing to toss in my pocket when I'm tired of playing whatever the new iOS hotness is for the week. I already have an EZ-Flash 4 and a SuperCard SD but they're both pains in the rear end to set up with the patching and terrible emulation and ugh.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I have it and I really like it a lot. The d-pad is great, but it is "mushy" , even more than even the DS Lite. But it's good. The screen is FANTASTIC. I am a complete lunatic when it comes to image quality and screen stuff and for the longest time I assumed it was an OLED screen, yet it's not. I still don't know how it gets such amazing blacks/colors on a non-oled screen. Also the games look even better being on a smaller screen (higher DPI). I would say the only negative is dust tends to make its way onto the actual screen even with the cover on (but this happens with the non-SP GBA as well) and the speakers are really quiet, even at full volume. But it is a great little system. I beat Mother 3 on it.
Perfect, this leads to my next question. How is text on it? I worry that it would be too small to really read legibly. However I did see that during the "Dev's Play" series that Double Fine did, I believe one of their guys was playing Mother 3 on a GBA Micro as well. He didn't really go into the text size or anything in his discussion of using the device, just that he used it. He was kind of an old hat at the series. It concerns me simply to the point of, would that be a OK first experience of the game?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This is so awesome, and just yet another reason to go with the SD2SNES if you haven't already. Hopefully they do this for the Link to the Past "sequels" too.

I have never even heard about BS Zelda, but now I have to try it.

You know, I tried that MSU-1 patch on LTTP a while back. But I never got it working. The ROM played but the improved music didn't play, for some reason. Maybe I patched it wrong, I'm not the most technically adept person (as you can see from my Policenauts patching stories) but I would really like to try this Zelda voiceover thing.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

kirbysuperstar posted:

The newer, XMB knock-off UI in RetroArch is..well, better. Still not..good, but. Yeah..

The latest iteration of the XMB stuff is an improvement. At least, they've gotten some better organization of menu items going. It's still far from intuitive, but it's approaching 'learnable', so, progress. I'd still rate fumbling with RetroArch easier and less time consuming than downloading and configuring all the separate emulators by hand.

OpenEmu still puts everything else to shame though.

I have it and I really like it a lot. The d-pad is great, but it is "mushy" , even more than even the DS Lite. But it's good. The screen is FANTASTIC. I am a complete lunatic when it comes to image quality and screen stuff and for the longest time I assumed it was an OLED screen, yet it's not. I still don't know how it gets such amazing blacks/colors on a non-oled screen. Also the games look even better being on a smaller screen (higher DPI). I would say the only negative is dust tends to make its way onto the actual screen even with the cover on (but this happens with the non-SP GBA as well) and the speakers are really quiet, even at full volume. But it is a great little system. I beat Mother 3 on it.

This is one thing that threw me for a loop when getting a refurbed GBA (OG), I forgot how bad the D-Pad feels. But it's bad mostly in just feel, there's not really much floaty-ness to it like there typically is with a mushy d-pad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Honestly I'd buy just the Xbox one. As nice as streaming on original hardware is DC emulation is really good and produces good results with original discs, you'll get better, crisper image than if you run through a converter. Save you forty bucks or so. I just get all my stuff from monoprice and they tend to work pretty well

Yeah this is pretty much my thinking too. Just mentioned the Dreamcast in case there was a decent device that happened to do both.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kaboobi posted:

I'm assuming the EverDrive GBA X5 is a great cart? I've got a hankering to play a ton of old GBA games again, and throwing that in my GBA Micro seems like a great thing to toss in my pocket when I'm tired of playing whatever the new iOS hotness is for the week. I already have an EZ-Flash 4 and a SuperCard SD but they're both pains in the rear end to set up with the patching and terrible emulation and ugh.

The pros of the GBA Everdrive are: No patching required, better compatibility, RTC support. Cons: Bigger than a regular cart and sticks out.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

Rats they are sold out of the SNES cables. Hopefully they don't take a while to return in stock like the Dreamcast flashcart. Speaking of components, has anyone done the N64 mod for RGB yet?

A few of us have including me. It's not terribly difficult. But now there's preassembled circuits for simpler installs.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The Game Boy Micro is good, and my friend

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone have experience with a Framemeister on a 4k TV? I'm coming to the conclusion that I just want to game exclusively (modern and retro) on my Vizio 4k TV. The framemeister seems to be geared for 1080p so I don't know if the lag will be noticeable on my Vizio. I purposely got this one model, 2015 M-series, because of the low lag. But I'm thinking that the lag of upscaling 1080p plus the framemeister might be a dealbreaker. I'm on the waiting list for the OSSC, but who knows when I'll be able to get one. My set is rated for 1080p @ 60Hz 18.5 ms. What is the framemesiter, 16ms? so 34.5? Is that acceptable?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone have experience with a Framemeister on a 4k TV? I'm coming to the conclusion that I just want to game exclusively (modern and retro) on my Vizio 4k TV. The framemeister seems to be geared for 1080p so I don't know if the lag will be noticeable on my Vizio. I purposely got this one model, 2015 M-series, because of the low lag. But I'm thinking that the lag of upscaling 1080p plus the framemeister might be a dealbreaker. I'm on the waiting list for the OSSC, but who knows when I'll be able to get one. My set is rated for 1080p @ 60Hz 18.5 ms. What is the framemesiter, 16ms? so 34.5? Is that acceptable?

That's like 2 frames of lag. Its gonna depend. For RPGs you won't even notice it, but for a fighting game you might. Most games will be in-between, probably not a problem but trying to do fast actions you could notice it. Really depends upon the game.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

That's like 2 frames of lag. Its gonna depend. For RPGs you won't even notice it, but for a fighting game you might. Most games will be in-between, probably not a problem but trying to do fast actions you could notice it. Really depends upon the game.

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll notice it especially coming from a PVM. I'm specifically thinking of Mega Man style platformers where timing is key.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

8-bit Miniboss posted:

A few of us have including me. It's not terribly difficult. But now there's preassembled circuits for simpler installs.

That a lot cheaper, but I have no experience in soldering.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SnatchRabbit posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling I'll notice it especially coming from a PVM. I'm specifically thinking of Mega Man style platformers where timing is key.

Ha, Mega Man 2 and 3 have been my go-to lag test games. I feel like it's super obvious when there's lag in those, the jumping just feels awful.

Like if there's just enough lag, suddenly I eat poo poo on the Snake Man cloud platform jumps in MM3.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Code Jockey posted:

Ha, Mega Man 2 and 3 have been my go-to lag test games. I feel like it's super obvious when there's lag in those, the jumping just feels awful.

Like if there's just enough lag, suddenly I eat poo poo on the Snake Man cloud platform jumps in MM3.

Yeah, the metal man jumping platforms are really rough if there's any input lag.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I just run through 1-1 on Super Mario Brothers. I can tell if it's even a little off, but if I fall in a pit, then I know it's pretty bad.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Rirse posted:

That a lot cheaper, but I have no experience in soldering.

Note that the one linked is only for a subset of n64 models.

quote:

N64 consoles must be the early NS1XXXXX serial numbers in order to be compatible. Will not work with later models.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

Note that the one linked is only for a subset of n64 models.

Is there a easy to see which one you have? The N64 I got as a kid was bought around the time of Shadows of the Empire.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rirse posted:

Is there a easy to see which one you have? The N64 I got as a kid was bought around the time of Shadows of the Empire.

Shadows of the Empire is launch window of the N64. You should have the right one already.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I bought a Micro before I went to Japan and my first weekend there I got wasted at karaoke and fell on my rear end on the walk home and snapped my Micro in half. This was my Game Boy Micro story.

I miss you Game Boy Micro.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I just played through McDonald's Treasureland Adventure and it's ... surprisingly good? There are only 4 levels but they're pretty long and varied. The game itself is still super short though and the bosses are easy. I picked it up for the first time tonight, set the difficulty to normal (it defaults to beginner) and still got through it in about 2 hours.

This could easily have been made without the McDonald's license and I can only assume that money is the only reason why this is McDonald's Treasureland Adventure and not "Original Character's Treasureland Adventure." I'm actually kind of surprised to learn that it wasn't a port of another property, like Yo Noid! for the NES was. The use of the McDonald's characters is pretty minimal. A few of them will help in some way if you give them some jewels, although the "help" isn't really optional and you actually have to do this to proceed every time. Grimace's help, for instance, is moving his fat rear end out of the way of the next door you need to enter. Gee thanks. It's also not like Ronald McDonald has an arch-nemesis they could drop on or anything, so the enemies are your typical cutesy weird monster things but nothing that really calls on the license for help. The story is pretty generic. You have part of a treasure map. These three bad guys also have a part of the treasure map! Go! It's enough. Not like you need 40 pages of text to play a platformer.

Long story short, I enjoyed this one a lot. It's colorful and the music is cheery. Definitely worth a quick play through if you haven't yet.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean... it's a Treasure game.

And was probably specifically a licensed game because they needed funds for Gunstar Heroes et al.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was being dumb eariler and mixed up component and rgb. Can the N65 use component since the SNES and N64 use the same video cables? I ask since the N64 needs a mod to use RGB.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If your N64 can do RGB out, then the component cables will work with it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

So then the answer would technically be no.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Broke down and bought a gba micro famicom edition. And I can't play it on the micro but I also picked up densha de go for gbc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Modus Pwnens posted:

I bought a Micro before I went to Japan and my first weekend there I got wasted at karaoke and fell on my rear end on the walk home and snapped my Micro in half. This was my Game Boy Micro story.

I miss you Game Boy Micro.

I already had a silver Game Boy Micro that I paid full retail for when it came out ($99). Not too many years ago (I wanna say 2010) I actually found a brand new, in the box Game Boy Micro at Toys R Us. I couldn't believe it. It was the weirdest thing. It was there so long that they marked it down to $29! Of course I bought it. It was the black one. So I swapped their respective faceplates and now have an all-black GBA Micro (I gave my all-silver Micro to a friend). That is my GBA Micro story. The only time in history I found a gaming relic brand new on an abandoned shelf somewhere brand new in a major retail store.

Zaphod42 posted:

I hope Framemeister will eventually get a 4k firmware update. Otherwise these things are going to be pretty useless in a few years.

TeaJay posted:

I have never even heard about BS Zelda, but now I have to try it.

You know, I tried that MSU-1 patch on LTTP a while back. But I never got it working. The ROM played but the improved music didn't play, for some reason. Maybe I patched it wrong, I'm not the most technically adept person (as you can see from my Policenauts patching stories) but I would really like to try this Zelda voiceover thing.

I found it took me a bit of time to get the MSU-1 music working to on the LTTP CD mod. I too am using an SD2SNES. I think it ended up being something dumb like I had files in the wrong directory or something like that. Don't forget to run the patched ROM and it needs to be renamed, too. All the PCM files have to be laid out exactly as the instructions describe, too. Keep at it; it's worth it (make sure to do the FMV intro too).

Also there are a few BS Zelda things. The original NES version "remade" (kinda meh) and there's 4 "new chapters" of a Link to the Past.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Perfect, this leads to my next question. How is text on it? I worry that it would be too small to really read legibly. However I did see that during the "Dev's Play" series that Double Fine did, I believe one of their guys was playing Mother 3 on a GBA Micro as well. He didn't really go into the text size or anything in his discussion of using the device, just that he used it. He was kind of an old hat at the series. It concerns me simply to the point of, would that be a OK first experience of the game?

Text on it is razor sharp and super easy on the eyes. I guess you have to put it a bit closer to your face than if you were using a DSLite or something but it's not by a lot. Honestly I can read the text fine even if it's pretty drat far from my face. It's funny you mention text because it's one of the things that makes me say "wow, the text looks so drat good" whenever I fire up the Micro.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Chapter 3 of the Wonder Boy is Back! Saga - Wonder Boy Returns, a Korean remake of the original arcade game (the one that became Adventure Island): http://store.steampowered.com/app/523810/

man, remember Newgrounds?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Wonderboy in Monster World is my favorite game of all time and I didn't know I could get it on steam. I need to pick that up for sure

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I found it took me a bit of time to get the MSU-1 music working to on the LTTP CD mod. I too am using an SD2SNES. I think it ended up being something dumb like I had files in the wrong directory or something like that. Don't forget to run the patched ROM and it needs to be renamed, too. All the PCM files have to be laid out exactly as the instructions describe, too. Keep at it; it's worth it (make sure to do the FMV intro too).

Also there are a few BS Zelda things. The original NES version "remade" (kinda meh) and there's 4 "new chapters" of a Link to the Past.

Well, I got BS Zelda voiceover patch working, but I got a glitch where I can't see the alphabet when naming a character. It's just black screen. I can proceed with leaving the name blank though.

It's ... certainly something. Too bad there's the time limit, although I understand it's tied to the voiceover. I did try a version without the timer, too.

As long as we're talking about MSU-1 patches, I did try the Mega Man X one. But I didn't like it, the volume was way too high even with menu adjustments and I couldn't hear any sound effects. Plus I've come to like the MMX OST too much to replace it. I will give the LTTP patch a try as well. I think the problem last time was all the headerless and whatnot, I couldn't understand any of that.

e: yeah, that was it. I couldn't find a right kind of ROM and the programs they said to use to fix one didn't work.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 13, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sega's licensing the heck out of Wonder Boy. There's Wonder Boy Returns, Wonder Boy the Dragon's Trap, and Monster Boy.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TeaJay posted:

Well, I got BS Zelda voiceover patch working, but I got a glitch where I can't see the alphabet when naming a character. It's just black screen. I can proceed with leaving the name blank though.

It's ... certainly something. Too bad there's the time limit, although I understand it's tied to the voiceover. I did try a version without the timer, too.

As long as we're talking about MSU-1 patches, I did try the Mega Man X one. But I didn't like it, the volume was way too high even with menu adjustments and I couldn't hear any sound effects. Plus I've come to like the MMX OST too much to replace it. I will give the LTTP patch a try as well. I think the problem last time was all the headerless and whatnot, I couldn't understand any of that.

Oh Yeah! That was my issue. I had to download a few different versions of the rom to get it to work. I think the one on emu paradise worked but I'm not a hundred percent sure. I just remembered the one I downloaded in a huge mega pack of games did not work.

It's worth the effort. The soundtrack is directly from the 3ds sequel so it fits perfectly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Sega's licensing the heck out of Wonder Boy. There's Wonder Boy Returns, Wonder Boy the Dragon's Trap, and Monster Boy.

Monster Boy looks so good I can't wait. What a good series

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh Yeah! That was my issue. I had to download a few different versions of the rom to get it to work. I think the one on emu paradise worked but I'm not a hundred percent sure. I just remembered the one I downloaded in a huge mega pack of games did not work.

It's worth the effort. The soundtrack is directly from the 3ds sequel so it fits perfectly.

If you got a working file, could you maybe drop me a PM?

e: Welp, it works now. The guide says the rom has to be 1.5 mb minimum but I got it working from the same place you did without expanding it or anything.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 13, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In case anyone else has a big emulation HTPC setup and is organizing their game rips a bit like I have been, and knows some basic programming, MobyGames just announced an API:

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,4/dgm,231400/

Would be easy to loop over a list of games and fetch metadata. Only 360/hour or 1/second for requests but it's convenient.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TeaJay posted:

If you got a working file, could you maybe drop me a PM?

e: Welp, it works now. The guide says the rom has to be 1.5 mb minimum but I got it working from the same place you did without expanding it or anything.

ah OK, I was trying to upload it to megaupload then the drat site asked me to register to share the link and I never got the confirm email. glad you got it working.

Hopefully you did it with the FMV!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ah OK, I was trying to upload it to megaupload then the drat site asked me to register to share the link and I never got the confirm email. glad you got it working.

Hopefully you did it with the FMV!

Yeah, it's really fun.

Off-hand I would say that the LTTP MSU-1 patch is much more higher quality than the Mega Man X and Super Metroid patches I've tried.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Manky posted:

The pros of the GBA Everdrive are: No patching required, better compatibility, RTC support. Cons: Bigger than a regular cart and sticks out.

I don't really care about a bump, it'll still be tiny inside of a GBM, and having every drat NES, GB, GBC, and GBA in my pocket seems like a way better solution than digging through my hundreds of carts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, it's really fun.

Off-hand I would say that the LTTP MSU-1 patch is much more higher quality than the Mega Man X and Super Metroid patches I've tried.

It blows my mind that the music in the village gets lower when you enter a building. I don't know why, it just seems like that wouldn't work with the CD audio. So awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

And let's not forget the Wonder Boy movie!

Even if I wish I could.

• Locked thread