Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Krazuel posted:

I shudder recommending it but Google almarsguides has a progression
Trade skill guide for each thing.

Yup this dude speaks the truth, those guides are pretty loving good, I (think?) they work in Luclin and beyond, maybe even b4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
The guides are good, the guy is a bit scummy though

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The best thing about a new expansion is that it makes the third last expansion free :10bux:. Next up for free is The Darkened Sea. I don't know much about it, but getting CotF last year was nice due to the HAs and easily crafted level 100 gear.

Good for us cheapskates who don't want to buy 4x expansions every year.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 12, 2016

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
This is also a pleasant thing on the TLP's. No need to purchase any expansions for the next 5+ years.

I was planning on starting a box for my monk (originally I intended playing a SK, but at lvl 20 I chose to reroll for various reasons). But I still haven't gotten around doing so yet as it is just too easy and quick to find a good leveling group to join.
Soloing is virtually non-existant on Phinny and even in a duo the exp just feels too slow.

All the beastlords around also make great group additions because at this level the combined dps and tankiness of them and their pet makes it easy to "just pull stuff" and /assist.

My goal is to reach 60, gear myself up somewhat decently and get a basic number of AA's before PoP launch. Not going to rush it though. Grouping has been quite pleasant so far.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Is magician the best caster class to mess around old world content? I want to take a nostalgia trip for a while. I think I'm going to play in test for the xp bonus. I'll testbuff to 25 and figure it out from there. What about speed buffs, what are my options there?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
On live (or test) servers Magician + Merc is easymode for anything below lvl 50.
With journeyman mercs mellee is the better one without a question. With apprentice mercs the healer might be better.

Exp gain at lower levest is so quick I expect skill raises to be the biggest problem, unless they increased the gain rate on those too.
I wouldn't know, I switched over to Phinny when I found out most if not all exp groups on live servers are multiboxers.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Essential posted:

Is magician the best caster class to mess around old world content? I want to take a nostalgia trip for a while. I think I'm going to play in test for the xp bonus. I'll testbuff to 25 and figure it out from there. What about speed buffs, what are my options there?
Hmm I guess they would be the best caster due to the pet and spells (both DD and AoE). Necro is not so good since their pet is weaker and they rely on slow DoTs. Wizard and Enc are too weak and charming is cumbersome if you just want to putz around. Two other viable options are Shamans and Druids, Shaman is again slow with dots and weak pet, Druid has decent nukes, but it will be slow. Ports are nice, but with Gate on all caster classes, it's no big deal.

I've done a bit of Magician'ing over the past years and ended up being frustrated with the long recovery time from a pet death (lots of mana, long casting times and lots of re-buffing), but I only really made it to the 60's. I'm sure a pimped out level 80+ with AAs has lots of cool abilities to quickly get going again. But be warned, even in the 60's, having your pet die is like....you know the sound Kif (the green alien) from Futurama makes when he sighs? :effort: At least pets don't poof like they did in old times.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Magicians are the only caster that can keep going on grinding non-challenging mobs without looking too much at their mana regen. They can pretty much behave like a caster with a pet that acts as a decent melee class.
In the little time between two fights your pet will actually regen quickly which minimizes further downtime.
Your pet buffs are very strong and on top of that if you cast a damage shield on your pet it is a very mana efficient source of damage. Don't forget to give your pet some toys, this drastically increases their DPS.
Magicial Pet Heals are also quite strong.

The largest drawbacks magicians have are :
-No self casted crowd control.
-No downtime reducing tricks or spells. I believe the Pet Reclaim trick has been nerfed.

If you find some elementals to hunt you can choose to charm one, or use your banish spells.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I'm contemplating giving Phinny a run...any chance there's some friendly faces from P99 willing to help set me up a bit?

Leaning towards rolling Monk or Enchanter at the moment. Monk for the enjoyment of all the FD tricks you can do and ENC for the ease of soloing later on.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

-No self casted crowd control.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=10393 :D

You'd think there were alternatives in modern EQ, but I guess they have been really stingy with overpowered clickies. Perhaps there are some very high level AAs that can do a form of CC? There are also snare potions.

gepgepgep posted:

I'm contemplating giving Phinny a run...any chance there's some friendly faces from P99 willing to help set me up a bit?

Leaning towards rolling Monk or Enchanter at the moment. Monk for the enjoyment of all the FD tricks you can do and ENC for the ease of soloing later on.
"Ease" of Enchanter soloing? I don't know about that. Potentially very powerful, I would say, but Enc soloing is very stressful as it relies on charms that break all the time. You will need to be ready to react at a moment's notice and run for the zone all the time. I don't think it's very relaxing at least, nor easy. Monk soloing is not good, but at least it's predictable and low-risk, when you of course stick to mobs you can handle.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 13, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, there isn't much "ease" in enchanter soloing until the later expansions.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

gepgepgep posted:

Hit me up, my toon's name is Awyiss. Play whatever, but know that soloing here sucks 100% of the time every time. Don't ever do it.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

RCarr posted:

Yeah, there isn't much "ease" in enchanter soloing until the later expansions.
I meant more along the lines of it being potentially rewarding and powerful, and provides option to solo well. Rewarding, if not very risky too.

Monk wouldn't be to solo. I just love being able to pull/split stuff, tank decently, and have fairly good DPS output.

I really enjoy playing a rogue on p99 but don't enjoy having to do cash camps grouped as my primary means of solid income.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

gepgepgep posted:

Soloing on Phinigel is horrific, the way they changed the XP (capped gain per kill and lowered amount per kill) means that you'll get almost nothing for it for a gigantic increase in the time and pain-in-the-assery it takes to do it effectively.

Are you looking to raid at all? If not, play whatever tickles your fancy. If you want to raid, I believe most of the end-game guilds at the moment are pretty set on enchanters (I know EoE is) but monks are almost always welcome as a source of DPS if nothing else, and if you can step up to help with pulling so much the better.

If I'm in the (increasingly rare) situations where I'm just sitting around in Bazaar or Nexus and not AFK, you can send me (Karael) a tell and I can hook you up with some gear to get you going. The likelihood of this occurring will increase as I finish AAs now that keying/bane weaponing is basically done.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Soloing on Phinigel is horrific, the way they changed the XP (capped gain per kill and lowered amount per kill) means that you'll get almost nothing for it for a gigantic increase in the time and pain-in-the-assery it takes to do it effectively.

Are you looking to raid at all? If not, play whatever tickles your fancy. If you want to raid, I believe most of the end-game guilds at the moment are pretty set on enchanters (I know EoE is) but monks are almost always welcome as a source of DPS if nothing else, and if you can step up to help with pulling so much the better.

If I'm in the (increasingly rare) situations where I'm just sitting around in Bazaar or Nexus and not AFK, you can send me (Karael) a tell and I can hook you up with some gear to get you going. The likelihood of this occurring will increase as I finish AAs now that keying/bane weaponing is basically done.

When you gonna drop Tailea and let me take her spot when you do an AA burn? :P

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
When you get good. Getting a welfare bow from Seru does not qualify you for good.

Start bribing Coro to rename his pet to Awyiss

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

When you get good. Getting a welfare bow from Seru does not qualify you for good.

Start bribing Coro to rename his pet to Awyiss

Lol welfare bow. I'm pretty sure your alt is going to take that welfare bow next week if it drops. Or maybe since I've seen rabble on he'll show up to snatch it from her on an opportune day.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

iNteg posted:

Lol welfare bow. I'm pretty sure your alt is going to take that welfare bow next week if it drops. Or maybe since I've seen rabble on he'll show up to snatch it from her on an opportune day.

Probably, then he'll loving vanish for another 6 months.

Fortunately, we have protections in place for this situation now after a bunch of people complained about the "suddendly-playing-again" people at the end of Velious getting loot.

Edit: Actually since we get accused of this by idiots who know nothing on the everquest forums and I'd rather recruit goons than those people, here's in general how our loot works in EoE. We don't use DKP because DKP rewards being able to A. Log on to EverQuest and B. Fog a mirror, and allows nothing for subjective awarding.

1. Full Member > Apps > Alts
This isn't firm, but its our starting consideration. If a decent-to-good RA main, whether a full member or an app, goes in on an item with 30 alts in on it, we'll give it to the main. There are some exceptions, like when a main bard went in on KT's head against an alt cleric, we gave it to the alt since it's a stellar FT item.

2. RA > Loot Counts
100% RA vs 50% RA in the last thirty days, regardless of loot counts in the item category we're going to give it to the person with the higher RA. This is still subject to point 1 first, a 50% RA Main will typically win loot over a 100% RA alt.

3. Items are categorized, categories don't generally affect one another.
We're trying something new lately with categorization to get people to take more loot without being worried it affects their chances at those big ticket items like Aten Ha Ra quest neck, Emperor Loot, etc. Items typically split into 3 categories, Minor, Regular, and Major. Minor are stuff that are side grades or VERY minor upgrades from Velious loot, Regular is the majority of stuff that is a clear upgrade but not BIS, Major is BIS. So far the system hasn't been working but I think it's mostly because people don't understand it very well yet, which is a failing of ours.

4. Absences are subject to penalty
If your 30 day RA drops below certain percentages, you get probationary status on loot. You can lessen the impact by simply posting something that gives us a heads up and a time frame (even if the time frame is indefinite), such as 'Hey guys, I'm going to be loving whores in Thailand for the next two weeks, see you later!' on our forums. Most people don't even bother to do that, so they get slightly harsher penalties like not being able to get loot at all for a period of one week (a full raid cycle). Worst case is that you vanish for 3 months (90 day RA drops to zero) and we consider that quit, if you didn't warn us and we're full on that class, you get demoted to F&F and can't get loot until it's literally rotting with no tells. This general rule 4 is very new, and hasn't had a chance to be enforced yet, but if he starts playing again like someone said, Wendy/Pann will probably be the first to run into it.

The biggest issue we have is that we're slow dividing up loot, because sometimes there are up to six voices chiming in with different ideas on who should get what. Most of the time though its one officer listing out everyone who's in on something, they choose someone from the list if its obvious, and one to two other officers agree and that's it. There's no majority required, but we're hesitant to have one officer put out their suggestion, even when backed up by data, if none of the rest are chiming in. Lately we've been adding a 'time out' deal where if the rest don't speak up, we warn them they're losing their chance to.

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 13, 2016

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Probably, then he'll loving vanish for another 6 months.

Fortunately, we have protections in place for this situation now after a bunch of people complained about the "suddendly-playing-again" people at the end of Velious getting loot.

Edit: Actually since we get accused of this by idiots who know nothing on the everquest forums and I'd rather recruit goons than those people, here's in general how our loot works in EoE. We don't use DKP because DKP rewards being able to A. Log on to EverQuest and B. Fog a mirror, and allows nothing for subjective awarding.

1. Full Member > Apps > Alts
This isn't firm, but its our starting consideration. If a decent-to-good RA main, whether a full member or an app, goes in on an item with 30 alts in on it, we'll give it to the main. There are some exceptions, like when a main bard went in on KT's head against an alt cleric, we gave it to the alt since it's a stellar FT item.

2. RA > Loot Counts
100% RA vs 50% RA in the last thirty days, regardless of loot counts in the item category we're going to give it to the person with the higher RA. This is still subject to point 1 first, a 50% RA Main will typically win loot over a 100% RA alt.

3. Items are categorized, categories don't generally affect one another.
We're trying something new lately with categorization to get people to take more loot without being worried it affects their chances at those big ticket items like Aten Ha Ra quest neck, Emperor Loot, etc. Items typically split into 3 categories, Minor, Regular, and Major. Minor are stuff that are side grades or VERY minor upgrades from Velious loot, Regular is the majority of stuff that is a clear upgrade but not BIS, Major is BIS. So far the system hasn't been working but I think it's mostly because people don't understand it very well yet, which is a failing of ours.

4. Absences are subject to penalty
If your 30 day RA drops below certain percentages, you get probationary status on loot. You can lessen the impact by simply posting something that gives us a heads up and a time frame (even if the time frame is indefinite), such as 'Hey guys, I'm going to be loving whores in Thailand for the next two weeks, see you later!' on our forums. Most people don't even bother to do that, so they get slightly harsher penalties like not being able to get loot at all for a period of one week (a full raid cycle). Worst case is that you vanish for 3 months (90 day RA drops to zero) and we consider that quit, if you didn't warn us and we're full on that class, you get demoted to F&F and can't get loot until it's literally rotting with no tells. This general rule 4 is very new, and hasn't had a chance to be enforced yet, but if he starts playing again like someone said, Wendy/Pann will probably be the first to run into it.

The biggest issue we have is that we're slow dividing up loot, because sometimes there are up to six voices chiming in with different ideas on who should get what. Most of the time though its one officer listing out everyone who's in on something, they choose someone from the list if its obvious, and one to two other officers agree and that's it. There's no majority required, but we're hesitant to have one officer put out their suggestion, even when backed up by data, if none of the rest are chiming in. Lately we've been adding a 'time out' deal where if the rest don't speak up, we warn them they're losing their chance to.

Okay, that actually answered a question relating to the Cursed cycle loot, because that Vengeful Mail chest is loving legit, But I didn't know it was BiS. I'm struggling to figure out what really is BiS anymore, but I know what I want for loot and what i'm going after. I also know that most of it is a Major loot hit.

I think everyone isn't realizing that each of the 3 categories don't have an affect on other categories so they dont wanna put their name in for that minor upgrade when there could be something major coming down the pipeline that they lose out on because they just took said minor loot hit item. I've just said gently caress it anymore and i'm putting my name in for anything I want that's an upgrade.

iNteg fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 13, 2016

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
That's way too much reading. Who's gonna give my bard or ranger loot without any effort on my part, thanks in advance.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Stanos posted:

That's way too much reading. Who's gonna give my bard or ranger loot without any effort on my part, thanks in advance.

OGC, you'll even get loot before anyone else cause Dima is pro at finding exploits and work arounds for little things like being keyed.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Stanos posted:

My one week vacation is going to take a month and a half of full time raiding to fix, OGC is your best bet. they split raids too haha.

Apze
Jul 4, 2014

Hoohah posted:

It's not actually capped per kill, in my PL runs, I get up to 6% a kill until the mid 30s, off lvl+10-12ish sorta stuff.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
When I read Hoohah's post with requirements to be a premium raider, I realize I won't ever be able to pull off such a schedule anymore. My days of being a student or single with infinite free time are over.

Velious and Luclin especially have many targets that a full group (or two) could go for in some organized miniraid, but I don't really remember any juicy targets in PoP to tackle with a maximum of two groups.

Any good group oriented content in PoP? I don't recall as I was in a premium hardcore guild back then.
At least LDoN offers enough group content but I don't recall the item rewards to be of PoP quality.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Plane of Fire and Bastion of Thunder I remember being really fun. (might be nostalgia).

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Oh I remember doing them too very well. C1's Tables was mine.
But that is more for being an exp spot. Not really a camp or encounter to be done with one group with some decent loot to get.

Luclin is full of spots like that (Umbral Plains, Griegs, The Deep, ...) which drop some very good non-raid loot and can be done with an organized group or two.

I just read through the complete walkthrough of PoP and all the Plane or Sub-plane bosses were raid targets.

With plane of Fire being instanced maybe the Bridge mobs like the giant spider, that all dropped some decent stuff, could be done by a bunch of casuals grouping together.
Getting access to Fire (thus killing Solusek Ro and Rallos Zek) is a whole other story though.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sol Ro wasn't too bad, but RZ is a way different story.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Bot minis, maybe tower minis in whatever plane saryn is in.. Hedge event. Minis before grummus. Carprin cycle in decay.. Mmm Dragon in PoI. Stuff in Sol Ro for ornate. That's all that really comes to mind.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Luclin and PoP has to be the most cutthroat era of raiding, and I can't believe I'm feeling nostalgic for it now. Good thing I don't have anywhere near the time needed to raid hardcore, or I'd be tempted to come back again.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Evernoob posted:

When I read Hoohah's post with requirements to be a premium raider, I realize I won't ever be able to pull off such a schedule anymore. My days of being a student or single with infinite free time are over.

50% RA is making 2 weeks worth of raids per month. You won't get top tier poo poo, but you'll see raiding and you'll see loot. Other guilds have less stringent requirements for base RA and use DKP, so you just bid on stuff.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Hoohah posted:

50% RA is making 2 weeks worth of raids per month. You won't get top tier poo poo, but you'll see raiding and you'll see loot. Other guilds have less stringent requirements for base RA and use DKP, so you just bid on stuff.

I don't expect to end up as a raider but how many raid nights/how many hours a week are we talking?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Back to modern EQ for a moment, the next expansion has 12 8 raids, and they're designed by Dzarn, Augur, and Absor.

Absor. 12 months of Absor. Absor.

:suicide:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Funny thing is, all the people on TLP are playing some Absor raids too. Those raids were simpler, and not as insufferable. Well, except Vex Thal maybe.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

Back to modern EQ for a moment, the next expansion has 12 8 raids, and they're designed by Dzarn, Augur, and Absor.

Absor. 12 months of Absor. Absor.

:suicide:

ALL ABSOR. ALL THE TIME.
THE BEST RAIDS.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Can someone please explain to me the "In Combat" regen? I used to kite by DoT'ing, then run/med, run/med, run/med, but it appears that doesn't work anymore? What are ways to increase the in combat mana regen? Buffs? Items?

Out of combat regen/medding seems to be pretty fast so I'm tempted to really give this a go if I don't have to sit on my rear end medding all day.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
As far as I know only way to increase your in-combat medding is :

-Clarity line of enchanter buff or other class based buffs and songs
-AA's
-Flowing Thought items or similar

Maybe modern (post PoP... heh) added more stuff

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Essential posted:

Can someone please explain to me the "In Combat" regen? I used to kite by DoT'ing, then run/med, run/med, run/med, but it appears that doesn't work anymore? What are ways to increase the in combat mana regen? Buffs? Items?

Out of combat regen/medding seems to be pretty fast so I'm tempted to really give this a go if I don't have to sit on my rear end medding all day.

Are you on live? Just get defiant gear and get a big mana pool, don't worry about trying to med while you're fighting solo. Get a big mana pool, then kill however many mobs, then ooc med and repeat. Defiant gear is like wearing planes of power raid gear at level 20

You can get mana potions like distalate of clarity I think they're called, from potion vendor near evil bank in POK

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Xeras posted:

I don't expect to end up as a raider but how many raid nights/how many hours a week are we talking?

EoE, for example, raids 4 nights a week (Mon - Thur) from 8 pm ET to midnight ET. We also don't "fill" hours meaning we won't go raid some random thing just to make sure we go to midnight, so sometimes we end earlier.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

darkhand posted:

Are you on live? Just get defiant gear and get a big mana pool, don't worry about trying to med while you're fighting solo. Get a big mana pool, then kill however many mobs, then ooc med and repeat. Defiant gear is like wearing planes of power raid gear at level 20

You can get mana potions like distalate of clarity I think they're called, from potion vendor near evil bank in POK

Actually I'm playing on Test, mostly for the double experience. Thanks for the advice on mana/medding.

I decided to try boxing and I'm going to run the Monk/Shaman combo. I downloaded ISBoxer, created a Monk and Shammy, /testbuffed them to 25, which also came with gear. So I think I'm good enough for level 25 now. I'm just not really sure what to do, I've never played either class. With Monk, is it just auto-attack plus Dragon Punch? How about Shaman? I noticed I have a bunch of buffs, I'm assuming I should use them all on the Monk. Then Slow/DoT the mob?

Any advice on how to use ISBoxer would be really appreciated as well. I have the basics setup, I can log into both characters and have 2 windows, but I have no idea how to setup auto-keys or whatever. I'm assuming I should have a cast button for the shaman that casts slow, then dot's. One for casting all buffs would be nice too. Over the next few days I'll read up as much as I can on ISBoxer and how to get a basic 2 box setup going. I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. I won't be adding Mercs until I get the hang of both these classes plus boxing them.

For the sake of an old school experience I'm going to Mistmoore to level to 30 (saw that in the OP, thanks!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Set your monk as your main, use his window the most.
Setup in game macros for targeting monk, following monk, assisting monk, at the very least, on your shaman.

Now setup keybinds in isboxer with shaman client as the target. I use numpad keys, like numpad_1 to follow. Then tell isboxer the keybind for the in game macro to send. "Follow monk" might be like alt+0 on shaman screen, but you want the virtual key to map numpad_1 on any screen to tell the shaman to do something. If that makes sense.

Like numpad1 -> isboxer sends alt0 to shaman client -> eq does follow macro.

That's like a good 70% the boxing. Do the same for all the spell gems.
You can even remap like tilde to switch windows faster

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 16, 2016